PDA

View Full Version : Pushing the limits of free speech?

John B
2011-04-01, 10:17
Minnesota Smith. There, I said the name. I hope that I'm not banned.

I'm curious if anyone knows what happened to him and how he's doing. It seems that nearly every time his name is mentioned in another place, the post is deleted or the thread locked down.

For those who don't know of him, he did a thru hike some years ago. He was an overweight, balding, highly opinionated guy. I met him once when he was doing a shakedown hike. I'm the ultimate leftwing commie and he's a rightwing fascist (at least that's how we'd describe each other), and I'd have wagered serious money that he wouldn't make it past Neels. I'd have lost, too -- he did things his way and made it to Mt. K. He carried a giant pack that included, among other things, 6 rolls of TP, weirdo foods, odd clothes, and a 6' hiking stick carved from a dogwood tree.

Last I heard, he got married, started another thru, with his wife driving a motor home and meeting him at road crossings. That's where I lost the trail, so to speak. I never heard if he made it through again, if she made it, both? neither?

I'm not trying to stir up trouble, and if the mention of his name is somehow analogous to the Moslem prohibition on drawing a picture of Allah, then my apologies. Just please don't issue a hiker 'fatwa' or whatever it's called. Just curious how he did.

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-01, 10:20
Oh lord..........here we go.....

Two Speed
2011-04-01, 10:30
. . . Just please don't issue a hiker 'fatwa' or whatever it's called . . . May you rot in hell, infidel dog!

rhjanes
2011-04-01, 10:58
well, he posts over on WB alot. I think you need to be on drugs or drunk to half-way make sense of any of it. I don't think he was married to the girl driving the RV. A short time into the hike, she posted some BLASTING comments. The RV was a POS, tranny going out, and MS was ignoring her, leaving, not helping, etc. I think WB deleted all that back-and-forth between them. Considering he was then posting about 20 posts a day, suspect he was off trail.

Or in MS speak: I wsa waking and theVR broke an so with extar TP I was able to stop the cheese sanwich and keptwalking becaus eW don't read no books and she lefr right up down.

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-01, 11:02
Ever hear the term "yellow blazing"???

sheepdog
2011-04-01, 11:40
I think Minnie ran off with a hiker chick named honeybear. she still posts on wb from time to time.

ed bell
2011-04-01, 11:48
well, he posts over on WB alot. I think you need to be on drugs or drunk to half-way make sense of any of it. I don't think he was married to the girl driving the RV. A short time into the hike, she posted some BLASTING comments. The RV was a POS, tranny going out, and MS was ignoring her, leaving, not helping, etc. I think WB deleted all that back-and-forth between them. Considering he was then posting about 20 posts a day, suspect he was off trail.

Or in MS speak: I wsa waking and theVR broke an so with extar TP I was able to stop the cheese sanwich and keptwalking becaus eW don't read no books and she lefr right up down.
Is this some kind of fused memory of MS and mweinstone?

D'Artagnan
2011-04-01, 14:51
... tranny going out, and MS was ignoring her...

You lob a softball like that, and you know I've got to put it over the fence. :beer:

D'Artagnan
2011-04-01, 14:53
Ever hear the term "yellow blazing"???

Is that anything like a Golden Shower? :ahhhhh:

Ray
2011-04-01, 15:16
TOW on W-B can fill in details of the trainwreck of MS's second thru attempt. He wasn't married to the girl that he abandoned on the side of the road in a junk vehicle. He spent the rest of his walk looking over his shoulder thinking someone was going to whip his ass for that. He did not complete thru 2.

Since then he found true love and got married. They want to have a family but she is unable so he has a complicated, of course, plan to find a surrogate, an egg donor and a fertility clinic and blah, blah, blah. He has been able to hold a steady job for over a year which is a new experience for him. So perhaps he has changed.

I wish him well.

Wise Old Owl
2011-04-06, 23:24
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/THISONE1.jpg

Free speech right?

zoidfu
2011-04-07, 01:52
He was underwhelming when I met him. Glad to hear he's doing alright, though.

Big Mac
2011-04-07, 07:07

Is this some kind of fused memory of MS and mweinstone?

CONfused, I think. What do you get when you fuse matty and MS? Oh, dear God, help us.

Crikey
2011-04-07, 10:30
Do you really get banned at WB just for bringing him up? That sounds like a challenge. I'm tiring of that place these days.

Tin Man
2011-04-07, 10:56
Do you really get banned at WB just for bringing him up? That sounds like a challenge. I'm tiring of that place these days.

welcome to the party place :beer:

Crikey
2011-04-07, 11:56
welcome to the party place :beer:

Thanks...wasn't until I posted today that I realized I've been here almost 3 years and that was my first post!

Kanga
2011-04-07, 12:18

mention minnie and inseam in the same sentence and you'll be banned for life.
yes, i'm serious, and don't call me shirley.

sheepdog
2011-04-07, 12:28

haahahahahahahahha

shadowmoss
2011-04-07, 12:56
I missed the whole inseam thing. What is the short (pun in 10 did) version of it?

Kanga
2011-04-07, 13:04
there was a thread forever ago about some nf convertible pants and someone asked the inseam and we just had some fun with it, which, as we all know, is not allowed over there. so now we mention inseam just for the fun of it, and we get banned for it.

saimyoji
2011-04-07, 13:14

work in pork chop tarlin for an extra nasty note when you're banned.

Crikey
2011-04-07, 13:34
So, I can hit a home run with this then:

I was measuring MS's inseam with a pork chop that BJ gave me?

sheepdog
2011-04-07, 13:36
So, if I can hit a home run with this then:

might be over the top

they would probably seize your computer

zoidfu
2011-04-07, 13:40
Insulting that lumpen, grunting, ass kisser, Chaco Taco is always effective as well.

Kanga
2011-04-07, 14:36

gator might actually have a coronary if you do that.

Tin Man
2011-04-07, 14:37

Tarlin? Giving away pork chops? Blasphemy, I tell you, blasphemy! Take that back!!

Gray Blazer
2011-04-07, 15:15
Tarlin? Giving away pork chops? Blasphemy, I tell you, blasphemy! Take that back!!
He prolly dropped it in the parking lot at Uncle Johnny's.

Tin Man
2011-04-07, 15:57

too much jim beam then?

Kanga
2011-04-07, 16:56
Y'all are all full of shit. Jack would never drop a pork chop. Or give one away either.

sheepdog
2011-04-07, 16:59
Y'all are all full of shit. Jack would never drop a pork chop. Or give one away either.

If one believed jack would drop a pork chop he would be falling for one of the three great blunders.

saimyoji
2011-04-07, 17:07
If one believed jack would drop a pork chop he would be falling for one of the three great blunders.

nah, he might drop it alright. but he'd pick it right up and keep chowing. no three second rule for him neither.....

Sierra Echo
2011-04-07, 17:28
You guys are crazy!!! I'm gonna like it over here!

rhjanes
2011-04-07, 17:35
Is this some kind of fused memory of MS and mweinstone?Yes, results from the last sasquatch/alien probe mind meld....I keep mixing up stnet(tents) and skcommah (hammocks) also.

sheepdog
2011-04-07, 17:40
Yes, results from the last sasquatch/alien probe mind meld....I keep mixing up stnet(tents) and skcommah (hammocks) also.

I hate it when that happens. :ahhhhh:

Kanga
2011-04-07, 17:43

Never start a land war in asia

sheepdog
2011-04-07, 17:46
Never start a land war in asia

or mess with a Sicilian when death is on the line.

haha

ha

Bearpaw
2011-04-07, 18:17
Or kill Inigo Montoya's father when you have a clearly recognizable sixth finger...

sheepdog
2011-04-07, 18:18
Hello my name is Inigo Montoya

you killed my father

Kanga
2011-04-07, 18:58
Prepare to DIE!!!

enviro
2011-04-07, 21:03

nah, he might drop it alright. but he'd pick it right up and keep chowing. no three second rule for him neither.....

I was figuring a 120 second rule. In case it was hard to get it out from under that car.

Tin Man
2011-04-07, 21:10
I was figuring a 120 second rule. In case it was hard to get it out from under that car.

what are you thinking? he'd grab some packsniffer's hiking stick and stab that lose pork chop under the car in two seconds flat.

Rockhound
2011-04-09, 14:49
My thoughts on Minnesota Smith. His brain does not work like other peoples for whatever reason. He has offended countless people. Of course there are those of us who could also be described as offensive from time to time so "he who is without sin....."
The thing Minnie has learned is that he can offend people so I've noticed that when he engages others he will always ask politely first. He will say, "Do you mind if I say something" or "Do you mind if I ask a question" or "Can I offer some advice". Do not be afraid to turn down his request. I promise he will not be offended. If you allow him an opening though, you deserve what you get.

Gray Blazer
2011-04-09, 15:05
You guys are crazy!!! I'm gonna like it over here!

This is how it used to be on WB before Alligator.

Sierra Echo
2011-04-09, 21:16
This is how it used to be on WB before Alligator.

I have noticed Alligator has been getting crankier and crankier. I just chalked it up to him most likely having a small penis and therefore had an inferority complex. I dunno. I haven't given it much thought.

harryfred
2011-04-09, 22:08
My thoughts on Minnesota Smith. His brain does not work like other peoples for whatever reason. He has offended countless people. Of course there are those of us who could also be described as offensive from time to time so "he who is without sin....."
The thing Minnie has learned is that he can offend people so I've noticed that when he engages others he will always ask politely first. He will say, "Do you mind if I say something" or "Do you mind if I ask a question" or "Can I offer some advice". Do not be afraid to turn down his request. I promise he will not be offended. If you allow him an opening though, you deserve what you get.
Wow Rockhound You sound like a righteous cat. I do not know MS. Doesn't sound like some one I would like. I do know Matty. I like him. Maybe I should say Edge likes him. Harold would find him a no load slacker if that makes sense. No matter who I am I try to always see the positive and find the good in everyone. Sounds like you are a kindred spirit. I'd love to share a bottle around a fire with you should our paths cross.

JAK
2011-04-10, 12:02
Never get into a pissing contest with an elephant.

Gray Blazer
2011-04-10, 12:21
Never get into a pissing contest with an elephant.

WOW! That has to be one of your shortest posts ever. :albertein

Rockhound
2011-04-10, 12:54
Wow Rockhound You sound like a righteous cat. I do not know MS. Doesn't sound like some one I would like. I do know Matty. I like him. Maybe I should say Edge likes him. Harold would find him a no load slacker if that makes sense. No matter who I am I try to always see the positive and find the good in everyone. Sounds like you are a kindred spirit. I'd love to share a bottle around a fire with you should our paths cross.

I have my momments. I jump back and forth from "righteous cat" to "jackass" you just have to catch me at the right time.

Kanga
2011-04-10, 13:09
WOW! That has to be one of your shortest posts ever. :albertein

bwaahahahahaha!

Tin Man
2011-04-10, 15:02
I have my momments. I jump back and forth from "righteous cat" to "jackass" you just have to catch me at the right time.

maybe your dose of health reality gave you deeper perspective than the walmart trip :albertein

warraghiyagey
2011-04-12, 09:32
Every time I try to post on WB it says 'banned for life' . . . or something to that effect. . .

shadowmoss
2011-04-12, 10:41
Just a question: Anyone tried PM'ing ATroll (or is it ATTroll, can't remember...) and asking him WTF is going on with Gator? Or does the reptile now own WB?

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-12, 10:49
Just a question: Anyone tried PM'ing ATroll (or is it ATTroll, can't remember...) and asking him WTF is going on with Gator? Or does the reptile now own WB?

Yes, yes, and it doesn't do any good, because Gator is doing what Troll wants him to do.

Tin Man
2011-04-12, 12:22

Yes, yes, and it doesn't do any good, because Gator is doing what Troll wants him to do.

yep, it takes more than just one short-sighted geek to kill off a formerly great website

JAK
2011-04-12, 14:45
WOW! That has to be one of your shortest posts ever. :alberteinwait for it...

Ray
2011-04-12, 16:00
Every time I try to post on WB it says 'banned for life' . . . or something to that effect. . .I've heard of being banned for rule violations, for spamming, for profanity, for this and that but you've been banned for just being alive?

Hog On Ice
2011-04-12, 16:05
makes sense to to me - no excuse is too petty

saimyoji
2011-04-12, 16:07
I've heard of being banned for rule violations, for spamming, for profanity, for this and that but you've been banned for just being alive?

but he's not really alive. thats what makes it so confusing......

Kanga
2011-04-12, 16:10
naw. he's only mostly dead.

sheepdog
2011-04-12, 16:32
since they let Rockhound in maybe we could start an amnesty program. Let other tards in a little at a time.

Hog On Ice
2011-04-12, 16:38
ok warrghy - your turn - go eat some real fatty town food

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-12, 16:40
Warrghy is fatty town food..........

Weary
2011-04-12, 21:00
Does anyone want to discuss on the anniversary of the event, what it was that prompted the start of the bloodiest War in this country's history.

Weary

Skidsteer
2011-04-12, 21:07
You got balls the size of church bells.

Russell
2011-04-12, 21:20
Fuck you weary, don"t start that tired shit here!!!!!!

Lone Wolf
2011-04-12, 21:25
Does anyone want to discuss on the anniversary of the event, what it was that prompted the start of the bloodiest War in this country's history.

Weary

these damn rebels shoulda picked their own damn cotton is all i know. lazy fucks!

Lone Wolf
2011-04-12, 21:27
Fuck you weary, don"t start that tired shit here!!!!!!

why? makes for good discussion

Weary
2011-04-12, 21:30
You got balls the size of church bells.
The Appalachian Trail winds through the area of many of the critical battles. Over the past few days I've watched a rerun of the Ken Burns' Civil War epic. And the news tonight reported a sharp division among the several public opinion polls.

I think it obvious that the rebels attacked Fort Sumpter in an effort to preserve slavery. I read right wing websites that deny that slavery had anything to do with the war, that it was all about state's rights. That strikes me as blatant nonsense. I'm curious what other hikers think -- if anything.

dixicritter
2011-04-12, 21:54
Y'all just keep the conversation civil.

Yes the pun was intended. :angel:

Sierra Echo
2011-04-12, 21:58
The Appalachian Trail winds through the area of many of the critical battles. Over the past few days I've watched a rerun of the Ken Burns' Civil War epic. And the news tonight reported a sharp division among the several public opinion polls.

I think it obvious that the rebels attacked Fort Sumpter in an effort to preserve slavery. I read right wing websites that deny that slavery had anything to do with the war, that it was all about state's rights. That strikes me as blatant nonsense. I'm curious what other hikers think -- if anything.

I think its obvious that you need to do more research on the civil war before assuming anything. The war started over what all wars are about. Money. Bottom line. Slavery did not become an issue until the third year of the war. And there were numerous northern slaveholders.

Kanga
2011-04-12, 21:59
you get him girl!

Weary
2011-04-12, 22:01
Y'all just keep the conversation civil. Yes the pun was intended. :angel:
I try to always be civil. Just sometimes not politically correct. However, I am interested in a discussion of views. There is no ultimate answer that will please everyone.

Weary
2011-04-12, 22:06
I think its obvious that you need to do more research on the civil war before assuming anything. The war started over what all wars are about. Money. Bottom line. Slavery did not become an issue until the third year of the war. And there were numerous northern slaveholders.
As the various southern legislatures joined the succession movement, they all seem to have said it was to protect the institution of slavery. Of course that was a major money issue. But it was a money issue from the beginning -- not just when Lincoln decided to enlist the slaves to rescue a losing northern cause.

sheepdog
2011-04-12, 22:10
Only thing I know is my great great grandpa signed up when he was 17. Said he fought all the way to the ocean. I got his picture in uniform, hanging in my house. He was just a kid and I wonder what kind of nightmares he had when he got home. This was one of the worst things that ever happened to this country.

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-12, 22:11
It was due to large industries wanting to place large taxes on the common man so that their industries could go larger and compete against other countries that produced a better product cheaper........

Kinda like today with the auto unions.

Russell
2011-04-12, 22:19
why? makes for good discussion

Lone Wolf remember the time you were supposed to kill me because people thought that I tore "your" rebel flag?

Lone Wolf
2011-04-12, 22:21
remember it well

Weary
2011-04-12, 22:26
It was due to large industries wanting to place large taxes on the common man so that their industries could go larger and compete against other countries that produced a better product cheaper........

Kinda like today with the auto unions.
You may be right. But Ken Burns seems to have missed that angle -- along with all except belated assessments by an occasional right wing politician.

Ray
2011-04-12, 22:30
It's complicated. It's generally believed to have been about the best breakfast side dish although some argue it was about the proper way to sweeten and serve tea, and some say both. I thought everybody knew that.

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-12, 22:32
I didn't know they had Cream of Wheat back then.......

Russell
2011-04-12, 22:33
So does cornbread have sugar in it or not?

Tin Man
2011-04-12, 22:34
mom tracked our ancestry to a civil war yankee who was noted as too drunk to fight... just think how many lives could have been saved if they made fewer bullets and more booze :albertein

sheepdog
2011-04-12, 22:38
You may be right. But Ken Burns seems to have missed that angle -- along with all except belated assessments by an occasional right wing politician.

When you order chicken, do you get all left wings?:bike:

Russell
2011-04-12, 22:46
remember it well

I do too, because that was the day that Mala's Magic, and Mayhem started.

I was too busy making coffee and pancakes for hikers and didn't have time for the bullshit.

sheepdog
2011-04-12, 22:54
Lone Wolf remember the time you were supposed to kill me because people thought that I tore "your" rebel flag?

so, did he kill you or not?

Skidsteer
2011-04-12, 22:55

He's only mostly dead.

Tin Man
2011-04-12, 22:57
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxEz9DQC7dwlPG92zJr1rT4YMWWZ_Xj 9wRk-j92dG8MGEtu1qP

Russell
2011-04-12, 22:58

I don't remember, I was too busy.

Nearly Normal
2011-04-13, 01:55

Weary

There are plenty of newsgroups and sites for that discussion. I think it would be a waste of time here and just stir up a shit storm.
Depending on where you went to school and in what era and of course how and where you where raised will in itself incite.
"The Cause" has no place here.

sheepdog
2011-04-13, 06:15
Says it all

warraghiyagey
2011-04-13, 09:23
I've heard of being banned for rule violations, for spamming, for profanity, for this and that but you've been banned for just being alive?
I know, right?...:albertein

Warrghy is fatty town food..........
Well played sir. . . .

these damn rebels shoulda picked their own damn cotton is all i know. lazy fucks!

:congrats::congrats:

Tin Man
2011-04-13, 11:10

or paid a fair wage. not sure what they pay the so-called 'migrant' workers today, but i am guessing it is not quite fair

Gray Blazer
2011-04-13, 11:24
or paid a fair wage. not sure what they pay the so-called 'migrant' workers today, but i am guessing it is not quite fair

They work for "agents" who contract with the farmers and accept all the risks of insurance, etc.

JAK
2011-04-13, 11:36
citizenship, a prison gate, with cells on both sides

warraghiyagey
2011-04-13, 11:54
Well that just made my brain explode. . .

Tin Man
2011-04-13, 12:14
Well that just made my brain explode. . .

well that doesn't take much... :p

warraghiyagey
2011-04-13, 12:15
well that doesn't take much... :p

That or the science behind windchill. . . . :angel:

Tin Man
2011-04-13, 12:39
That or the science behind windchill. . . . :angel:

i thought canada was behind windchill?? that and blown seals . . . :albertein

warraghiyagey
2011-04-13, 13:00

saimyoji
2011-04-13, 13:50
i thought canada was behind windchill?? that and blown seals . . . :albertein

do seals come in extra virgin? :albertein

warraghiyagey
2011-04-13, 14:20

Yes. . . but once you club them they've pretty much been had. . .

Ray
2011-04-13, 14:32
Yes. . . but once you club them they've pretty much been had. . .What does you taking virgin seals out clubbing have to do with the Civil Wind Chill War?

warraghiyagey
2011-04-13, 14:49
Everything, if you don't think about it. . .

Tin Man
2011-04-13, 15:21
Everything, if you don't think about it. . .

:beer:

mudhead
2011-04-13, 16:25

Not if you have duct tape handy.

Weary
2011-04-13, 21:11
Not if you have duct tape handy.
I don't know about duct tape. But mudhead, a year or so ago, had great lettuce seeds, which are probably more valuable in the long run.

Tin Man
2011-04-13, 23:25
I don't know about duct tape. But mudhead, a year or so ago, had great lettuce seeds, which are probably more valuable in the long run.

...unless the lettuce seed garden is flooded with greenhouse gas melted polar ice, then all bets are off