PDA

View Full Version : Asking for permission

Danny45peak
2011-04-07, 11:06
Hello,
I am a reviewer. I have read your spam policy and i think i may fit in your "not spam" category. Im working on GPS watches and i have a review for the garmin foretrex 401 which is for camping and hiking. I would be glad to share my review with all of you and read your opinions.
Yes i am looking for a link too, but most of all im looking for a good opinion.

i will not post anything if you do not give me permission too.

Thank you for your time, if you do not want this post, simply delete it and i will not appear here again :)

dixicritter
2011-04-07, 11:11
It is absolutely fine to post your review. Welcome to Hikinghq.

Danny45peak
2011-04-07, 12:03
Thank you very much :)

here it goes: Garmin Foretrex 401 (http://www.runningwatchesreviews.com/garmin-foretrex-401-hiking-review-a-hikers-best-peak/)

I would love some opinions!

Thank you again!

Big Mac
2011-04-07, 12:12
Apparently you've heard how real spammers get treated at HHQ. :biggrin:

Welcome !

Big Mac
2011-04-07, 12:15
It seems rather large - I can't imagine backpacking with it. But some carry GPS units, and I don't. They might like it.

Danny45peak
2011-04-07, 12:34
Hey Big Mac!
Yes i read the spammer policy xD
I actually appreciated it. I too hate it when they just bump in, stick a sig or something and then run away. Specially when they get in a camping forum to post about insurance and weight loss O.o .. go figure.

The watch isnt really big, thats what i thought so too at first.
Check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO-XyTipT94

have no idea what the language is but its the fastest size compare i can give you.

I wouldnt wear it to go out for dinner but for a hike i think its small enough.
I would love to know if the fishing/hunting calendar it has is actually accurate, as i am most a runner then a hiker.

Thank you for your welcome and your hospitality:)

Tin Man
2011-04-07, 21:00
Hunters could benefit from a GPS. Hikers who can read a map, not so much.

My hiking GPS is in a drawer somewhere. That's where it stays.

sheepdog
2011-04-07, 21:13
Hunters could benefit from a GPS. Hikers who can read a map, not so much.

My hiking GPS is in a drawer somewhere. That's where it stays.

of course your hiking stuff just stays inna closet :aetsch:

and to think you're a hiking legend

Tin Man
2011-04-07, 21:16
of course your hiking stuff just stays inna closet :aetsch:

and to think you're a hiking legend

I am supposed to be packing for my weeny scout trip this weekend... a whole 7 miles. Well, planning on a 2 mile side-trip after we make camp around noon on Saturday.

Wise Old Owl
2011-04-07, 23:38
The review is fine for a beginner GPS, the Fish hunt thing is not going to draw people to buy it, a feature of sunset might as runners do not like being caught in the dark.

OK

Mark

Danny45peak
2011-04-09, 06:42
Thank you all for the tips, i appreciate it:)

I didnt realise that expirienced hikers dont want GPS but i did assume that in genral hikers may not want them cause it takes the mystery out of the hike. It may do for family campers though and lots of military people use it. It does have a sunset/sunrise feature and thank you for pointing that out cause i noticed i didnt mention it, im on it to fix that.

Again thank you and take care!

Amigi
2011-04-09, 11:03
Relying on anything with a battery is a fool's folly.

Kanga
2011-04-09, 11:37
Thank you all for the tips, i appreciate it:)

I didnt realise that expirienced hikers dont want GPS but i did assume that in genral hikers may not want them cause it takes the mystery out of the hike. It may do for family campers though and lots of military people use it. It does have a sunset/sunrise feature and thank you for pointing that out cause i noticed i didnt mention it, im on it to fix that.

Again thank you and take care!

some experienced hikers do want a gps. most of us here, however, are hiker trash, and we prefer to rely on knowledge and skill to navigate when hiking. gps' are fun, interesting gadgets that really are amazing, but they just don't compare to pure woodscraft.

sheepdog
2011-04-09, 20:00
some experienced hikers do want a gps. most of us here, however, are hiker trash, and we prefer to rely on knowledge and skill to navigate when hiking. gps' are fun, interesting gadgets that really are amazing, but they just don't compare to pure woodscraft.

or uncommon beauty and good luck

Hog On Ice
2011-04-09, 20:08
you just can't beat luck - not even with a pork chop

Kanga
2011-04-09, 22:32
jack would beat it to get to that pork chop..

Tin Man
2011-04-10, 15:14
i have noticed recently that whenever i set a pork chop down on a plate, the fatty end generally points toward hanover

saimyoji
2011-04-11, 13:53
jack would beat it to get to that pork chop..

uhhh hhmmmmmm....... so many things wrong with this......:afraid:

Jester
2011-04-11, 19:12

I agree with the idea that some experienced people want a GPS. This is not to say that they need one. For the CDT I plan to have both GPS & map & compass. Why? Because I want one, and might need the other. And I know how to use both.

I suspect that many people on this site neither want nor need a GPS not because of their fieldcraft but because when hiking they never leave a well-marked, linear trail.

Kanga
2011-04-11, 19:19
I agree with the idea that some experienced people want a GPS. This is not to say that they need one. For the CDT I plan to have both GPS & map & compass. Why? Because I want one, and might need the other. And I know how to use both.

I suspect that many people on this site neither want nor need a GPS not because of their fieldcraft but because when hiking they never leave a well-marked, linear trail.

bullshit. i neither need nor want a gps, and i also leave well-marked linear trails almost every time i hike.

Jester
2011-04-11, 19:23
bullshit. i neither need nor want a gps, and i also leave well-marked linear trails almost every time i hike.

Note that I said "many," not "all."

SGT Rock
2011-04-11, 19:25
I hike with one to record trail tracks for my guidebook. I've also used one when doing some off trail stuff. At work (Army) they were very helpful in many situations.

My current GPS splurge was a DeLorme Earthmate PN-60 Portable GPS Navigator - NOT THE ONE WITH THE SPOT! I still find I have some moral objection to carrying a SPOT that I cannot quantify well.

Kanga
2011-04-11, 19:26
Note that I said "many," not "all."

okay, fine. i'll let you live.

Kanga
2011-04-11, 19:27
I hike with one to record trail tracks for my guidebook. I've also used one when doing some off trail stuff. At work (Army) they were very helpful in many situations.

My current GPS splurge was a DeLorme Earthmate PN-60 Portable GPS Navigator - NOT THE ONE WITH THE SPOT! I still find I have some moral objection to carrying a SPOT that I cannot quantify well.

it's for sissies?

Jester
2011-04-11, 19:38
it's for sissies?

Hahahahahaha!

Yeah. What she said.

SGT Rock
2011-04-11, 19:41
I thought it was for sex offenders.

http://gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/08/sexoffender.jpg

sheepdog
2011-04-11, 19:44
I thought it was for sex offenders.

http://gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/08/sexoffender.jpg

don't say that, It's sex offender registration time at work

first two weeks of every quarter the pervs gotta register at the sheriffs office.

Kanga
2011-04-11, 20:05
eewwwww!

warraghiyagey
2011-04-11, 20:10
Apparently you've heard how real spammers get treated at HHQ. :biggrin:

Welcome !
Whatever, Mary Kay. . . .

It seems rather large - I can't imagine backpacking with it. .

That's what she said. . . .

Ray
2011-04-11, 20:36
I agree with the idea that some experienced people want a GPS.Well yeah. Like Saturday. I was sitting on top of Akin Mtn on the Duncan Ridge Trail and admiring the Blue Ridge off in the distance. And at that moment I wondered how far I was from my front porch swing. Without my GPS I would never have known.

sheepdog
2011-04-11, 20:40
eewwwww!

zacktly :ahhhhh:

SGT Rock
2011-04-12, 12:26
DLGKryC0Yio

sheepdog
2011-04-12, 19:22
DLGKryC0Yio

you know that is going to be played at work :beer:

Gray Blazer
2011-04-15, 12:09
That is sooo funny and sooo wrong in so many ways.

Danny45peak
2011-04-26, 04:21
Heya guys, long time, no log . You guys sound like a great gang here!
I cant listen to the video cause im at work:(
About the hiker needing gps thing though, to be honest id prefer to go without one too :D
I mean whats the point of the hike if you do not rely on your abilities to get somewhere and back?
I agree with Hog on Ice, you cant beat luck nor propability. If you try, its like a broken pencil...pointless xD