sheepdog
2011-04-07, 16:48
I'm thinking September

Lone Wolf
2011-04-07, 17:05
mid-august to 3rd week of september

sheepdog
2011-04-07, 17:08
I'm not a big mileage guy. l like about 8-12 miles per day depending on terrain. Is there a good 50 mile section for a 5 day 4 night hike?

woodsy
2011-04-07, 17:26
Its a little crowded with thru hikers mid august through september although the climate is nice. Hate hiking the AT during this time period.
If you don't mind seeing a couple three dozen hikers a day then go for it.
Check out RT 17 to RT 27 for a 5 day section, going north you'll get broke in easy first couple days then its Saddleback to Sugarloaf and/or Crockers if you got any left in ya.

sheepdog
2011-04-07, 17:41
Does AmTrac have a station anywhere near there?

woodsy
2011-04-07, 17:46
It goes to Portland from Boston.
Portland is about a 2 -2 1/2 hr ride by car to the AT in the Saddleback area

Tin Man
2011-04-07, 18:35
I am planning 50 give or take around that Sept. time frame. Might be nice to run into someone other than pesky thru-hikers. My itinerary is fixed though. Starting from bear humped my food col at the very northern end of the AT in NH. Going to do over-feared mahoosuc notch, grafton notch and points north.

Tin Man
2011-04-07, 18:38
I'm not a big mileage guy. l like about 8-12 miles per day depending on terrain. Is there a good 50 mile section for a 5 day 4 night hike?

Actually 12 is big mileage in ME. I am planning on 8-9 miles/day and camp wherever the stealth sites are found or needed. :)

warraghiyagey
2011-04-08, 08:39
Its a little crowded with thru hikers mid august through september although the climate is nice. Hate hiking the AT during this time period.
If you don't mind seeing a couple three dozen hikers a day then go for it.
Check out RT 17 to RT 27 for a 5 day section, going north you'll get broke in easy first couple days then its Saddleback to Sugarloaf and/or Crockers if you got any left in ya.

Oh please, what do you know about hiking in Maine . . . ? . . . :bike:

woodsy
2011-04-08, 15:59
Oh please, what do you know about hiking in Maine . . . ? . . . :bike:
I know right ?
Can't wait till i'm as experienced as you :birthday:
I could post some pics of late winter /deep snow over yer head stuff if you'd like ?

mudhead
2011-04-10, 18:46
mid-august to 3rd week of september

Weather, bugs, and mud wise this is a good answer.

Days start getting pretty short, and people are thick tho. Even mid week in September can be busy. On the nicer parts anyway.

Russell
2011-04-10, 19:56
I'm thinking September

Be a man, hike it in July.:biggrin:

sheepdog
2011-04-10, 20:16

is that a double dog dare???:bandit:

Russell
2011-04-10, 21:03
Yea, I did the wilderness in July 1994.

A double dog dare.

mudhead
2011-04-11, 06:49

Yea, I did the wilderness in July 1994.

A double dog dare.

What was the issue? Skeeters? Mud? Water? Massholes?

Or did you go July 1st and feed the bugs...

Russell
2011-04-11, 07:14
There were a lot of bugs for the first few days south of Baxter, but no more than where sheepdog lives in Michigan.

sheepdog
2011-04-11, 08:56
yepper, we have lots of black flies and skeeters here.

Weary
2011-04-11, 10:09
Some of my best remembered Maine AT hikes have been in January and February.

Tin Man
2011-04-11, 10:51
rafting the kennebec in June is a great experience... as long as you don't stop to smell the flowers...

Crikey
2011-04-14, 08:16
rafting the kennebec in June is a great experience... as long as you don't stop to smell the flowers...

I hear there's a canoe there, but you don't have to ride in it. Any opinions on this?

:aetsch:

Tin Man
2011-04-14, 09:22
I hear there's a canoe there, but you don't have to ride in it. Any opinions on this?

haven't made it to the kennebec on the AT... so no opinion until i get there

i hear tarlin might have an opinion though. ask him on that other place. :bootyshak

Superman
2011-04-14, 09:23
As we hiked, Gordon and I joked about OBama's aid stimulation to Maine. He had the Maine folks go out and paint the roots across the trails with grease. Just sayin.:angel:

Tin Man
2011-04-14, 09:34
As we hiked, Gordon and I joked about OBama's aid stimulation to Maine. He had the Maine folks go out and paint the roots across the trails with grease. Just sayin.:angel:

Yo Superman! where you at? how's the hike going?

Gray Blazer
2011-04-14, 09:44

Oh my Gawd!!

Weary
2011-04-14, 10:45
I hear there's a canoe there, but you don't have to ride in it. Any opinions on this? :aetsch:
There's no connection between the rafting and the canoe crossing. They occur on different sections of the Kennebec river. The canoe crossing carries hikers across the river near Caratunk. The canoe crossing is free to hikers. It has been in place ever since a women hiker drowned trying to wade the river a couple of decades ago.

You don't have to take the canoe, but all but a handful of hikers needing to cross the Kennebec do so. The danger occurs when an upstream dam is opened to generate electricity to meet demands for air conditioning in southern New England. The water rises rapidly and sometimes unexpectedly. I always take the canoe when crossing the Kennebec. But a few hikers attempt to cross on foot, sometimes to their regret.

Lone Wolf
2011-04-14, 10:47
cross early in the morning then it's easy and fun

Crikey
2011-04-14, 12:21
And here we go!

BTW Weary I was being extremely sarcastic..

Weary
2011-04-14, 12:47
And here we go!

BTW Weary I was being extremely sarcastic..
I figured you were. But I guessed it wouldn't hurt to tell any newcomers some facts about a common trail issue. If this site is to grow, it needs to provide more information, and fewer one liners of interest to, and understood mostly by, those escaping from White Blaze.

Crikey
2011-04-14, 12:56
I can agree with that.

Tin Man
2011-04-14, 13:00
cross early in the morning then it's easy and fun

when i get to the kennebec, i will follow your sage advice. but just in case, i am placing a sign around my neck, 'if found, return to damascus, va c/a of lone wolf'

Tin Man
2011-04-14, 13:02
I figured you were. But I guessed it wouldn't hurt to tell any newcomers some facts about a common trail issue. If this site is to grow, it needs to provide more information, and fewer one liners of interest to, and understood mostly by, those escaping from White Blaze.

what's this white blaze you speak of?

Kanga
2011-04-14, 14:50

jesus h. christ, weary, you're like friggin eeyore. i'm gonna start looking for you a happy pill right now. also, from what i've heard, it's okay if this site doesn't grow. the owners seem to be happy with it the size that it is. also, most of those that stay here don't care if nobody gets our jokes. we're not here to kiss ass and please you or anybody else. we're here to hang out with like-mindeds. we came here to escape the shitbugs at wb, we don't WANT them here.

Superman
2011-04-14, 15:14
Yo Superman! where you at? how's the hike going?

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=12055

The rumors of my heart attack are not true...yet.:angel:

Tin Man
2011-04-14, 15:18
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=12055

The rumors of my heart attack are not true...yet.:angel:

so do we call you supertoe now?

Weary
2011-04-14, 15:36
jesus h. christ, weary, you're like friggin eeyore. i'm gonna start looking for you a happy pill right now. also, from what i've heard, it's okay if this site doesn't grow. the owners seem to be happy with it the size that it is. also, most of those that stay here don't care if nobody gets our jokes. we're not here to kiss ass and please you or anybody else. we're here to hang out with like-mindeds. we came here to escape the shitbugs at wb, we don't WANT them here.
Whatever. I just think it would be nice if there was a place without an Alligator to go for information. So I supplied a bit of information. It's kind of fun. You should try it sometime, assuming you know anything that might be of value.

Tin Man
2011-04-14, 16:50
Whatever. I just think it would be nice if there was a place without an Alligator to go for information. So I supplied a bit of information. It's kind of fun. You should try it sometime, assuming you know anything that might be of value.

Now you are catching on. Gotta run out for some popcorn. :D

Ray
2011-04-14, 16:56
Whatever. .... Feeling a little dismissive today, are we?

Good plan, Oh Fount of Information.

Hikerhead
2011-04-14, 17:02
when i get to the kennebec, i will follow your sage advice. but just in case, i am placing a sign around my neck, 'if found, return to damascus, va c/a of lone wolf'

I like :dancing2:

Kanga
2011-04-14, 18:44

once again, not here to please you. i know lots of stuff, but i do indeed doubt you would find value in it.

sheepdog
2011-04-14, 19:22

inconceivable

Tin Man
2011-04-14, 19:51
once again, not here to please you. i know lots of stuff, but i do indeed doubt you would find value in it.

inconceivable

Skidsteer
2011-04-14, 20:08
inconceivable

inconceivable

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Tin Man
2011-04-14, 20:15
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

incontinence?

Skidsteer
2011-04-14, 20:21
incontinence?

If this site is to grow it needs to provide more information, and fewer one liners of interest to, and understood mostly by, those escaping from White Blaze.

Tin Man
2011-04-14, 20:40
If this site is to grow it needs to provide more information, and fewer one liners of interest to, and understood mostly by, those escaping from White Blaze.

Whose goal is that? Yours? Have you talked to Dixi about that? Not sure she would agree with all that?

Ray
2011-04-14, 20:41
If this site is to grow it needs to provide more information, and fewer one liners of interest to, and understood mostly by, those escaping from White Blaze.That may be the most profound thing I've ever read.

Skidsteer
2011-04-14, 20:58
That may be the most profound thing I've ever read.

Thanks!

I thought it up myself.

Lone Wolf
2011-04-14, 21:25

mr. weary. with all do respect, don't EVEN try to go toe to toe with Kanga over here in reality land. this fiery bitch will eat your fuckin' lunch. and bitch is a term of endearment. on this site anyway. and did i mention only faggotty ass pussies take the canoe? :beer:

Crikey
2011-04-14, 21:46
only faggotty ass pussies take the canoe? :beer:

My unleashed gun totin' snoring shelter sleeping dog takes that canoe, mister.

Lone Wolf
2011-04-14, 21:47
My unleashed gun totin' snoring shelter sleeping dog takes that canoe, mister.

he's a faggot then

Ray
2011-04-14, 21:54
I don't get it. Why would any hiker want to steal

a canoe?

Sierra Echo
2011-04-14, 21:55
he's a faggot then

I like faggot dogs. The only time they annoy me is when they show up to redecorate.

dixicritter
2011-04-14, 22:15
Whose goal is that? Yours? Have you talked to Dixi about that? Not sure she would agree with all that?

What was the question? :wink:

Weary
2011-04-14, 23:09
....and did i mention only faggotty ass pussies take the canoe? :beer:
Hmmm. Since 95 percent plus of AT thru hikers take the canoe. And many who don't say they wish they had. What does that say about thru hikers. I think it says they are wise. But feel free to offer other explanations.

Gray Blazer
2011-04-14, 23:11
Kanga taught me to hike. She laso taught me the meaning to life, the universe and everything ... or was that whuargiee? :albertein

Gray Blazer
2011-04-14, 23:11

:boring:

Gray Blazer
2011-04-14, 23:13
I like faggot dogs. The only time they annoy me is when they show up to redecorate.

What about woman's suffrage? I am totally against women suffering.

Weary
2011-04-14, 23:14
Don't be sure. I've spent quite a few decades seeking information. I've never yet found any that did not have value.

Tin Man
2011-04-14, 23:16
What was the question? :wink:

i forget... i think is was are duct tape squirrels on the menu?

Weary
2011-04-14, 23:19
:boring:

Ah Gray Blazer. Sorry you are bored, but this is in fact an exciting world. And this site is an exciting introduction to an important, albeit, tiny piece of the world. But those with an interest in interesting things. won't find it boring. Get with the program.

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-14, 23:21
Eggs over-easy are very exciting.........just sayin'.

Gray Blazer
2011-04-14, 23:24
Glad you are thickskinned. I like HHQ cuz it's like WB of the old days. If we could just get Jack and Warren over here we could all sit back on the couch and watch the show. I think the information will come. There's already a lot cached in the General Forums. I will now end this post as most people won't bother to read a post with more than 2 lines.

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-14, 23:31
Eggs are thick skinned.

Gray Blazer
2011-04-14, 23:31
So, when is the best time to hike Maine? I think stimulus money should be spent to create a tunnel under the Kennebec. Stimulation is good.

Gray Blazer
2011-04-14, 23:33
Eggs are thick skinned.

Weary is thickskinned. Don't you and a room full of monkeys need to be typing the Bible or a dictionary or sumthing?

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-14, 23:33
Set up a ferry. It uses more gasoline.

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-14, 23:34
Weary is thickskinned. Don't you and a room full of monkeys need to be typing the Bible or a dictionary or sumthing?

We're currently working on banging out the entire works of Shakespeare.....

Gray Blazer
2011-04-14, 23:35
Did you hear that indoor pot growers are contributing to global warming?

Gray Blazer
2011-04-14, 23:36

As Waarghuy would say ... well played, sir.

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-14, 23:41
Did you hear that indoor pot growers are contributing to global warming?

No....where did you hear that? :)

john pickett
2011-04-15, 04:03
inconceivable, means the same as unbearable. You're too old to have babies.

john pickett
2011-04-15, 04:05
"That may be the most profound thing I've ever read."
Ray needs to read more.

Nearly Normal
2011-04-15, 05:56
:adore:
I think this site is fixing to get funny.

Sierra Echo
2011-04-15, 07:14
What about woman's suffrage? I am totally against women suffering.

Please explain to me how you came up with woman's suffrage from a comment about homosexual dogs with a flair for interior design. I am confused!

Gray Blazer
2011-04-15, 07:50
Please explain to me how you came up with woman's suffrage from a comment about homosexual dogs with a flair for interior design. I am confused!

There's no telling how my mind works. I'm kind of a normal Matty Mweinstone.
I think it may have had to do with the interior decorum of shelters by gay doggies.

Crikey
2011-04-15, 08:20
Ok, if there is any way to get banned here, maybe this is it.

Billville's next T shirt:

"My gay doggie ate BJ's pork chop"

warraghiyagey
2011-04-15, 08:31
Nice try, but I don't think that's gonna do it. . .

Kanga
2011-04-15, 08:42

Kanga
2011-04-15, 08:45
mr. weary. with all do respect, don't EVEN try to go toe to toe with Kanga over here in reality land. this fiery bitch will eat your fuckin' lunch. and bitch is a term of endearment. on this site anyway. and did i mention only faggotty ass pussies take the canoe? :beer:

Hmmm. Since 95 percent plus of AT thru hikers take the canoe. And many who don't say they wish they had. What does that say about thru hikers. I think it says they are wise. But feel free to offer other explanations.

pay attention weary.

Kanga
2011-04-15, 08:50

heehee. you said banging.:beer:

sheepdog
2011-04-15, 09:19
I was gonna send my kids to China for a visit but

I'm against "youth in Asia"

Weary
2011-04-15, 09:23
"I'm trying to capture some of the things I've learned about hiking and backpacking in a place to share them. Hope you find something here you can use," or so saith Sgt. Rock.

Kanga
2011-04-15, 09:26
so? what's your point?

Tin Man
2011-04-15, 09:35
Ok, if there is any way to get banned here, maybe this is it.

Billville's next T shirt:

"My gay doggie ate BJ's pork chop"

for one thing, that's simply impossible... so, fail on two counts

dixicritter
2011-04-15, 10:10
"I'm trying to capture some of the things I've learned about hiking and backpacking in a place to share them. Hope you find something here you can use," or so saith Sgt. Rock.

Excellent quote Weary. Go figure a hiking site about ~gasp~ hiking. :beer:

Crikey
2011-04-15, 10:25
Nice try, but I don't think that's gonna do it. . .

for one thing, that's simply impossible... so, fail on two counts

Oh well, back to the woodshed then.

As fer hikin', Maine is great. Even with the flies it's better than where I'm working.

Tin Man
2011-04-15, 10:26
Excellent quote Weary. Go figure a hiking site about ~gasp~ hiking. :beer:

I usually ~gasp~ while I am hiking . . . dried fruit has that kind of effect.

enviro
2011-04-15, 10:48

When you typed "whatever" did you roll your eyes back in your head like my daughters did in their early teens?

Russell
2011-04-15, 10:49
When you typed "whatever" did you roll your eyes back in your head like my daughters did in their early teens?

That there is funny!:angel:

enviro
2011-04-15, 10:53
Thanks!

I thought it up myself.

You are da man

Russell
2011-04-15, 10:57
You are da man

That is what one lesbian said to the other.:biggrin:

enviro
2011-04-15, 10:58
That is what one lesbian said to the other.:biggrin:

Probably started an argument.

Gray Blazer
2011-04-15, 11:13

Everybody on HHQ can hike any WBer's ass off. No brag, just fact.

Weary
2011-04-15, 11:29
Everybody on HHQ can hike any WBer's ass off. No brag, just fact.
I'm not sure that a newcomer to the site will find that information particularly valuable as he plans a walk on the AT. What do you think, Gray Blazer?

Gray Blazer
2011-04-15, 11:41
I'm not sure that a newcomer to the site will find that information particularly valuable as he plans a walk on the AT. What do you think, Gray Blazer?

I think if a newbee hangs out here, they might not end up being a WB packsniffer. I also think they won't get deleted by anyone. Why are you asking me to think on a weekend? Remember, it's not nice to pick on morons. Go pick on Kanga.

Gray Blazer
2011-04-15, 12:29

I think you would make a great moderator for WB.

Ray
2011-04-15, 13:00
I'm not sure that a newcomer to the site will find that information particularly valuable as he plans a walk on the AT. What do you think, Gray Blazer?He thinks Rainman should stop using Weary's name on HHQ.

Kanga
2011-04-15, 13:21
I think you would make a great moderator for WB.

He thinks Rainman should stop using Weary's name on HHQ.

ditto on both counts.

weary, let me try to be as clear as i can. i will type slowly for you. if a newbie comes here and asks a question, the actual hikers here will be more than happy to answer that question to the best of our knowledge. as well, there are gear reviews, do-it-yourself ideas, and tons of other information here on already existing threads. until that moment occurs however, we are going to sit here and joke around with each other. if you don't like it, you don't have to be here. and honestly, if you're going to be that much of a snob, you might do better back over at wb. hhq is not a nanny state. so suck it up and quit snivelling.

Kanga
2011-04-15, 13:22
also, since you're such an expert on what everyone else wants in a site, why don't you go create your own? you can control-freak it and moderate everyone to your little heart's content.

Crikey
2011-04-15, 13:42
until that moment occurs however, we are going to sit here and joke around with each other.

Right on. After all, look up. We're just sitting "Around The Campfire".

Weary
2011-04-15, 14:29

"Excellent quote Weary. Go figure a hiking site about ~gasp~ hiking." Dixicritter

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-15, 14:34
"It's just walking" - Lone Wolf

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-15, 14:35
"I like eggs" - MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-15, 14:36
"What?!?" - Warraghiyagey

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-15, 14:36
"Ya'll are retarded" - VonFrick

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-15, 14:37
"Mr. Clean is my idol" - Enviro

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-15, 14:38
"Ya'll are some sexy MFs" - Dancer

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-15, 14:38
"That's Mr. Sugarbiscuit to you" - Hooch

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-15, 14:39
"I taze my customers" - Sheepdog

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-15, 14:40
"I let Dewey do all the thinking" - Bearpaw

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-15, 14:40
"Mehr" - Kanga

Nearly Normal
2011-04-15, 14:41

Blue blazin beer drinking hikers will.
Now fetch up another turn of wood for the fire.....and another beer too.

Tin Man
2011-04-15, 14:50
"I'm in" - Tin Man

saimyoji
2011-04-15, 14:51
you all remind me of this:

http://xkcd.com/386/

Kanga
2011-04-15, 18:03

"Excellent quote Weary. Go figure a hiking site about ~gasp~ hiking." Dixicritter

but that is not ALL there is to this site. if you decide to stay here you're just going to have to deal with it. period.

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-15, 18:05
Mehr

Kanga
2011-04-15, 18:09
eggszachary.

Tin Man
2011-04-15, 18:59
i like eggs . . . also

Ray
2011-04-15, 19:06
"What?!?" - WarraghiyageyYou use that word a lot. I don't believe it means what you think it means.

More to the point: Serious questions here get answered seriously.

But realize that the group BS detector here is set on high. Are you trying to troll by throwing out some sort of Bull Squirt topic just to generate high post counts? That don't work so well.

It takes some getting used to. Political BS ain't allowed and that doesn't mean those posts get deleted because Raymond the Rainman cries wah wah wah all the way home to the moderators. It means you get squeezed by peer pressure and if that don't work then all your posts remain but your little fanny gets picked up and set down outside the fence.

Weary, we first met on another online AT information forum when some lady from Florida who couldn't find the AT if you tied her across the road at Newfound Gap went on a rant about some off topic left wing political BS and I said that kind of crap didn't belong on that site. I was right. I left that site and never posted again.

But you, Weary, took that to mean that I was a right wing Republican beer swilling ATV driving trespassing pyromaniac litterbug and posted a long, off topic rant accusing me by name of just that. I didn't call you out on that crap then and there because I'd have been a hypocrite. And I didn't push it on WB either. But you can't get away with that sort of pure lying, made up BS here.

Kinda sux doesn't it?

Skidsteer
2011-04-15, 19:26
That was effing awesome.

Kanga
2011-04-15, 19:53
that was beyond fn awesome.

sheepdog
2011-04-15, 20:58
that was beyond fn awesome.

:dito:

Russell
2011-04-15, 21:51
That was effing awesome.

Effing A, Ray.:toilet:

Gray Blazer
2011-04-15, 22:05
[I] I was a right wing Republican beer swilling ATV driving trespassing pyromaniac litterbug

I knew there was a reason I like you.

Lone Wolf
2011-04-15, 22:09
You use that word a lot. I don't believe it means what you think it means.

But realize that the group BS detector here is set on high. Are you trying to troll by throwing out some sort of Bull Squirt topic just to generate high post counts? That don't work so well.

It takes some getting used to. Political BS ain't allowed and that doesn't mean those posts get deleted because Raymond the Rainman cries wah wah wah all the way home to the moderators. It means you get squeezed by peer pressure and if that don't work then all your posts remain but your little fanny gets picked up and set down outside the fence.

Weary, we first met on another online AT information forum when some lady from Florida who couldn't find the AT if you tied her across the road at Newfound Gap went on a rant about some off topic left wing political BS and I said that kind of crap didn't belong on that site. I was right. I left that site and never posted again.

But you, Weary, took that to mean that I was a right wing Republican beer swilling ATV driving trespassing pyromaniac litterbug and posted a long, off topic rant accusing me by name of just that. I didn't call you out on that crap then and there because I'd have been a hypocrite. And I didn't push it on WB either. But you can't get away with that sort of pure lying, made up BS here.

Kinda sux doesn't it?

weary? you're fucked. don't be like weasel. shut the fuck up and have some fun for fucksake :beer:

Weary
2011-04-15, 22:14
[I].....Weary, we first met on another online AT information forum when some lady from Florida who couldn't find the AT if you tied her across the road at Newfound Gap went on a rant about some off topic left wing political BS and I said that kind of crap didn't belong on that site. I was right. I left that site and never posted again.

Kinda sux doesn't it?
I don't recall any such incident. I get pissed off occasionally by right wing Republican beer swilling ATV driving trespassing pyromaniac litterbugs, but only when its the truth. I never lie about such things. You must be mistaken.

Gray Blazer
2011-04-15, 22:19
weary? you're fucked. don't be like weasel. shut the fuck up and have some fun for fucksake :beer:

Fuck yeah.

Gray Blazer
2011-04-15, 22:20
And take your meds so you remember things like when to take your meds.

JPW
2011-04-15, 22:22
So, how is rhe 100 mile wilderness in May? Can you make it with 5lbs of rice and a little fishing gear?

Lone Wolf
2011-04-15, 22:24
So, how is rhe 100 mile wilderness in May? Can you make it with 5lbs of rice and a little fishing gear?

a tad wet, not yet buggy, some fishin' gear and a .22

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-15, 22:32

Kinda sux doesn't it?

I'm offended.

I don't drink and I don't have an ATV, thank you very much.

Crikey
2011-04-15, 22:47

Say hi to Jeff Probst for me.

Weary
2011-04-15, 22:56
Five pounds of rice won't get me through the wilderness, especially if I take time out to fish. All the small streams have small trout in them. I usually just carry some line, and a few hooks, and use a small sapling for a pole.

There's still several feet of snow in areas sheltered from the sun in the hills, making it unlikely that it will all disappear until the end of May, maybe even later.

During the 25 years that I maintained the trail on the southern slopes of Whitecap, often snow was too deep to do much work on Memorial Day weekend.

Nearly Normal
2011-04-16, 00:46
I don't recall any such incident. I get pissed off occasionally by right wing Republican beer swilling ATV driving trespassing pyromaniac litterbugs, but only when its the truth. I never lie about such things. You must be mistaken.

What do you lie about?
I love a good fish tale. :bike:
.....pass that jug back this away!
Take a swig first.

john pickett
2011-04-16, 01:26
"I think stimulus money should be spent to create a tunnel under the Kennebec"
How about a bridge? It could be "The Bridge To Somewhere"

john pickett
2011-04-16, 01:30
"quit snivelling." That has a familiar ring. Where have I heard something like that before?

mudhead
2011-04-16, 08:30
a tad wet, not yet buggy, some fishin' gear and a .22

Those are some big fish!

Woodsy has been doing that free of charge for years. Helps keep them from deteriorating so rapidly. Bog logs get a fine spray of WD-40, courtesy of Boston Pinhead Club.

Russell
2011-04-16, 08:35
I don't recall any such incident.

I have known Ray for 5 years and I have never heard him say anything bad about anyone. As a matter of fact his post surprised me. Ray is not the kind of person that makes this shit up. He is not a drama queen like you.

A real man would acknowledge that he made a mistake and make it right.

You were one of the reasons I left WB 5 years ago. I can see why you don't remember that incident because what I know about you, is that incidents like that are almost a daily occurance for you.

Man up, if you are capable.

Weary
2011-04-16, 09:19
The powers that be have concluded that a canoe ferry is cheaper. The Kennebec is a wild place during the spring run off. A bridge would have to cross well above the summer water level, which requires a location with hills on both sides of the river. The Caratunk side has no hill, just the main highway in the area.

The issue was debated at length when the dam that causes all the wading problems was relicensed a decade or so ago. Being one of those damn liberals, I argued that the dam owners should be made to pay whatever it costs to make crossing the river safe. The regulators thought that would not be fair, especially if only a few smelly hikers would benefit.

However, a canoe fits in better with a wild trail, than a million dollar bridge would, even one that goes somewhere.

Weary
2011-04-16, 09:28
I would if I could remember anything at all about what Ray is complaining about.

Russell
2011-04-16, 09:30
Senility?

Tin Man
2011-04-16, 09:35
I have known Ray for 5 years and I have never heard him say anything bad about anyone. As a matter of fact his post surprised me. Ray is not the kind of person that makes this shit up. He is not a drama queen like you.

You were one of the reasons I left WB 5 years ago. I can see why you don't remember that incident because what I know about you, is that incidents like that are almost a daily occurance for you.

I would if I could remember anything at all about what Ray is complaining about.

Senility?

asked and answered ... by you no less :bike:

Hikerhead
2011-04-16, 11:39
The powers that be have concluded that a canoe ferry is cheaper. The Kennebec is a wild place during the spring run off. A bridge would have to cross well above the summer water level, which requires a location with hills on both sides of the river. The Caratunk side has no hill, just the main highway in the area.

The issue was debated at length when the dam that causes all the wading problems was relicensed a decade or so ago. Being one of those damn liberals, I argued that the dam owners should be made to pay whatever it costs to make crossing the river safe. The regulators thought that would not be fair, especially if only a few smelly hikers would benefit.

However, a canoe fits in better with a wild trail, than a million dollar bridge would, even one that goes somewhere.

How far up river is the Dam? Why not just walk across it. I think they do that at some other place. Yeah, relocate the trail. They do it all the time.

Weary
2011-04-16, 12:30
....You were one of the reasons I left WB 5 years ago. I can see why you don't remember that incident because what I know about you, is that incidents like that are almost a daily occurance for you.
Really? I just read your last posts on White Blaze, spread over three years. One in February 07 asks about downloading Delorme maps. In 05 you asked about guided walks on the AT. In 04 you talked about military Service, praised Pirate, queried Baltimore Jack, and asked about thru hikers over 60. Only the last seemed to have anything to do with me.

I had replied that I wasn't a thru hiker because I thought it more important for a 11-year-old grandson being raised by a single Mom to walk 600 miles on the trail, than for me to complete a thru hike. Is that what pissed you off enough that you quit White Blaze?

I hate to say this, but I think you are fibbing, or perhaps just joking.

Weary
2011-04-16, 12:42
How far up river is the Dam? Why not just walk across it. I think they do that at some other place. Yeah, relocate the trail. They do it all the time.
The AT corridor is mostly 1,000 feet wide in Maine. The dam is 10 or 15 miles upstream. Moving the trail now would take an act of Congress, and a major federal appropriation, assuming the private landowners are willing to sell, which I doubt. I don't think the present Congress is into major new expenditures for recreational projects.

Gray Blazer
2011-04-16, 13:38
Really? I just read your last posts on White Blaze, spread over three years. One in February 07 asks about downloading Delorme maps. In 05 you asked about guided walks on the AT. In 04 you talked about military Service, praised Pirate, queried Baltimore Jack, and asked about thru hikers over 60. Only the last seemed to have anything to do with me.

I had replied that I wasn't a thru hiker because I thought it more important for a 11-year-old grandson being raised by a single Mom to walk 600 miles on the trail, than for me to complete a thru hike. Is that what pissed you off enough that you quit White Blaze?

Stop bothering people. Stop taking things so personally. Lighten up and join the fun. (Or don't, it doesn't matter to me except you're killing my buzz.)

BTW you said "I" 6 times. This is Rock's and Dixi's website. If you want to praise yourself then go, as someone else politely suggested, start your own. I don't know a nicer way to tell you. Peace out.

Kanga
2011-04-16, 13:55

ditto.

Kanga
2011-04-16, 13:57

complaining? the only one here's been complaining is you. you're starting to push your luck over here, kiddo. you might want to think about shutting your trap sometime soon.

Tin Man
2011-04-16, 14:00
http://www.neurope.eu/photos2/thumb_1_1291579205-0.jpg

Weary
2011-04-16, 14:43
[I]....Weary, we first met on another online AT information forum when some lady from Florida who couldn't find the AT if you tied her across the road at Newfound Gap went on a rant about some off topic left wing political BS and I said that kind of crap didn't belong on that site. I was right. I left that site and never posted again.

But you, Weary, took that to mean that I was a right wing Republican beer swilling ATV driving trespassing pyromaniac litterbug and posted a long, off topic rant accusing me by name of just that. I didn't call you out on that crap then and there because I'd have been a hypocrite. And I didn't push it on WB either. But you can't get away with that sort of pure lying, made up BS here. ....
Hey Ray. When and on what site did I lie and say you're "a right wing Republican beer swilling ATV driving trespassing pyromaniac litterbug."

It sounds to me like something you've imagined. But I'd like to check, if possible.

Gray Blazer
2011-04-16, 14:52
Hey Ray. When and on what site did I lie and say you're "a right wing Republican beer swilling ATV driving trespassing pyromaniac litterbug."

It sounds to me like something you've imagined. But I'd like to check, if possible.

Good grief ... I give up. :argh:

Even if he dreamed it ...

Who Cares!

dixicritter
2011-04-16, 15:19
OK everyone lighten up or I'll be forced to start moderating. I'm not here to babysit so that'll really make me upset.

Sierra Echo
2011-04-16, 15:37

You're a creeper!

john pickett
2011-04-16, 16:54
"You're a creeper!"
or maybe just a creep. Though I've never met the gentleman.

D'Artagnan
2011-04-16, 18:23
OK everyone lighten up or I'll be forced to start moderating. I'm not here to babysit so that'll really make me upset.

Cm0Lhs_EZGE

Sierra Echo
2011-04-16, 18:48
"You're a creeper!"
or maybe just a creep. Though I've never met the gentleman.

there's a difference! He is being kinda stalkerish, therefore he is a creeper!

Ray
2011-04-16, 19:41
I don't recall any such incident. I get pissed off occasionally by right wing Republican beer swilling ATV driving trespassing pyromaniac litterbugs, but only when its the truth. I never lie about such things. You must be mistaken.You may not remember what you said about me but what you said about Kanga is much more recent. It was totally impolite. Don't try to play your usual silly games around it because you are now in a whole different sandbox.

But I am not surprised you don't remember. You were, after all, a retired reporter living on a $400,000 riverfront property, as you have informed us many times. You were not a young engineer with 3 small children applying for better jobs and whose only online presence was Aye Tee Dash Elh. Right, Bob C? Round about '93, not coincidentally the same year I joined W-B. I could only read AT-L by e-mail and off-topic posts filled up mailboxes, mine and others, really fast.

It was often requested that AT-L posts be limited to AT topics. That didn't seem to be an unreasonable request since it was primarily an e-mail forum. But some lady from FL, evidently a good friend of yours, insisted on using AT-L as her personal blog and subjected us to umpteen posts about her personal life like her house remodeling projects and work problems. Many people asked her to stop, stop, please for the luhv of Gawd stop and she would for awhile but then always resume. After after one of her long posts about how she thought the US judicial system was totally screwed I posted that I'd had enough, I was leaving AT-L and the reason was long off-topic posts just like hers filling up my e-mail in-box.

You, Bob C., thought that was totally unreasonable. You thought that I disagreed with her uber-liberal political agenda and I must be some sort of right wing nut just like the folk who used ATVs to trespass on some property you were monitoring and left it littered with beer bottles. So I must just like them. And a platoon of people told you that you that no, you were wrong and totally missed the point of my post. But you never ever apologized or took your words back.

And for a couple years afterwards every on-line search of my name pulled up your post. Like during the time I was applying for better jobs. Gee thanks Bob C. aka Weary, I really appreciated that. Way to go. Oh I must be mistaken. It must have been somebody else. I can't remember it correctly.

Are you joking?

But that incident taught me some important lessons, Bob C. - that I should never use my full name on any other online forum - because of axeholes like YOU - and I should never, ever reveal my political leanings online. Even though I had never had discussed my political beliefs anytime before your rant, I learned why I should never, ever go there. And I challenge anyone to find a post anywhere that reveals my political beliefs.

But that's really not important now.

What is important, and you seem unable to comprehend, is that on this forum a certain amount of politeness is expected. You don't have to like the other members, We have folk here that could not, should not be in the same room together. You don't have to even respect other members opinions, that's not expected either.

All that Rock and Dixie ask is that you be polite. That's it. That's the only rule here as far as I can tell.

So wondering if Miz Kanga knows anything important enough to share might be a tad impolite. Exactly like the many posts that you and Rocks'n'Roots made on both AT-L and W-B, it was just more than a little condescending.

And when you post something like that expect to be called out, just like you have been. Don't try to sidestep it by playing the age card like you tried. That doesn't excuse rudeness. The age and infirm card won't work either, believe me I've tried. The thruhiker card, the trail maintainer card, the "I wrote an article that saved 80 quadrillion acres from development", even that doesn't excuse rudeness.

I predict you still won't understand.

Skidsteer
2011-04-16, 19:56
Sooooo happy I didn't go see 'Atlas Shrugged' tonight.

Lone Wolf
2011-04-16, 20:05
You may not remember what you said about me but what you said about Kanga is much more recent. It was totally impolite. Don't try to play your usual silly games around it because you are now in a whole different sandbox.

But I am not surprised you don't remember. You were, after all, a retired reporter living on a $400,000 riverfront property, as you have informed us many times. You were not a young engineer with 3 small children applying for better jobs and whose only online presence was Aye Tee Dash Elh. Right, Bob C? Round about '93, not coincidentally the same year I joined W-B. I could only read AT-L by e-mail and off-topic posts filled up mailboxes, mine and others, really fast.

It was often requested that AT-L posts be limited to AT topics. That didn't seem to be an unreasonable request since it was primarily an e-mail forum. But some lady from FL, evidently a good friend of yours, insisted on using AT-L as her personal blog and subjected us to umpteen posts about her personal life like her house remodeling projects and work problems. Many people asked her to stop, stop, please for the luhv of Gawd stop and she would for awhile but then always resume. After after one of her long posts about how she thought the US judicial system was totally screwed I posted that I'd had enough, I was leaving AT-L and the reason was long off-topic posts just like hers filling up my e-mail in-box.

You, Bob C., thought that was totally unreasonable. You thought that I disagreed with her uber-liberal political agenda and I must be some sort of right wing nut just like the folk who used ATVs to trespass on some property you were monitoring and left it littered with beer bottles. So I must just like them. And a platoon of people told you that you that no, you were wrong and totally missed the point of my post. But you never ever apologized or took your words back.

And for a couple years afterwards every on-line search of my name pulled up your post. Like during the time I was applying for better jobs. Gee thanks Bob C. aka Weary, I really appreciated that. Way to go. Oh I must be mistaken. It must have been somebody else. I can't remember it correctly.

Are you joking?

But that incident taught me some important lessons, Bob C. - that I should never use my full name on any other online forum - because of axeholes like YOU - and I should never, ever reveal my political leanings online. Even though I had never had discussed my political beliefs anytime before your rant, I learned why I should never, ever go there. And I challenge anyone to find a post anywhere that reveals my political beliefs.

What is important, and you seem unable to comprehend, is that on this forum a certain amount of politeness is expected. You don't have to like the other members, We have folk here that could not, should not be in the same room together. You don't have to even respect other members opinions, that's not expected either.

All that Rock and Dixie ask is that you be polite. That's it. That's the only rule here as far as I can tell.

So wondering if Miz Kanga knows anything important enough to share might be a tad impolite. Exactly like the many posts that you and Rocks'n'Roots made on both AT-L and W-B, it was just more than a little condescending.

And when you post something like that expect to be called out, just like you have been. Don't try to sidestep it by playing the age card like you tried. That doesn't excuse rudeness. The age and infirm card won't work either, believe me I've tried. The thruhiker card, the trail maintainer card, the "I wrote an article that saved 80 quadrillion acres from development", even that doesn't excuse rudeness.

alrighty then! ray has spoken. bitch!!

Trollasaur
2011-04-16, 21:15
Dang, you guys get raw up in here, doncha?

D'Artagnan
2011-04-16, 21:32
Sorry, Hooch. You've been replaced. Ray is now officially The Man!

Russell
2011-04-16, 21:42
Sorry, Hooch. You've been replaced. Ray is now officially The Man!

:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

Ray
2011-04-16, 21:56
Dang, you guys get raw up in here, doncha?If you go for the juggler

don't miss.

Lugnut
2011-04-16, 22:16
Good ole Rocks 'n Roots. What and entertainer! Haven't thought of him for years. :argh:

Weary
2011-04-16, 22:20
You may not remember what you said about me but what you said about Kanga is much more recent. It was totally impolite. Don't try to play your usual silly games around it because you are now in a whole different sandbox.

Are you joking?

Many thanks for your explanation, Ray. I don't remember much about AT-L, other than that I joined after being ousted by Wingfoot, and was attacked viciously by those who thought I was Wingfoot in disguise. The internet is rude like that, I've found.

I stopped participating when I lost my email account, and was unable to rejoin for some reason, though I didn't try very hard. But several friends I made there recently asked how I was and said I should rejoin.

I truly don't remember saying anything like what you claim I said. I can still search old WB files, but not AT-L. But if I said what you claim, and they were wrong, I'm sorry.

I'll let Dixicritter speak for herself. I don't think I've been anywhere near as impolite as some others here. The one direct communication I've heard was one of praise, not condemnation. But whatever.

As for being old and senile, as some have suggested. I am older than I wish I were, and I suspect I'm not as skilled at words and walking as I used to be but I manage.

Today was a fabulous day. I awoke with a medley of waterfowls in the tidal stream near my house, Canada geese, black ducks, a few buffleheads, a pair of black ducks, and a great blue heron. IN the afternoon I scouted a land trust trail in anticipation of a dozen high school students showing up soon for a work program for high school kids in danger of quitting school -- again more waterfowl along the pond that borders our 260-acre preserve.

My daughter showed up with her companion as I returned home, just in time to observe two bald eagles. One was perched in an aspen tree, As we watched, a second bald eagle appeared, then both flew off in the growing dusk. Truly magical.

I apologize if anyone thinks this message is condescending. That's not my intent. It's just a suggestion that no matter how life seems at the time, it sometimes can improve. Mine did.

Weary

Tin Man
2011-04-16, 22:28
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9DLcDkNbckvNoZxTbmoq5rtRwXhyg5 S4hCvgrvIsuLrBTc_PHsg

JPW
2011-04-16, 22:58

Maybe if the new bridge from Detroit to Windsor dosent go through, they could build it there.

Crikey
2011-04-16, 23:20
So, I'm wondering, when's the best time to hike Maine?

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-16, 23:32

Gray Blazer
2011-04-16, 23:32
He only said "I" "I've" or "I'll" 29 times.

JPW
2011-04-16, 23:37
So, I'm wondering, when's the best time to hike Maine?

Not 11:35PM, its too dark.

Trollasaur
2011-04-17, 01:00
I can think of any number of message boards, whether they be politically themed, or pertaining to some other activity from hiking to muscle cars, that are almost completely dominated by old guys sniping at anyone with whom they disagree. Picking fights with strangers, ostensibly for no other reason than to dispense paragraph after paragraph of unsolicited advice and opinions.

Some of the oldsters have posts numbering in the tens of thousands. I find that absolutely mind boggling. How much time does one have to spend on the internet to accrue such numbers? I can't imagine.

Perhaps some of these guys have health conditions which limit their physical activity, or have made them altogether non ambulatory and therefore they have nothing to do but argue with people on the internet while the real world passes them by. Perhaps they are trying to relive their youths or feel more relevant. I'm not sure.

I can appreciate an old guy trying to impart some wisdom to a younger buck. There is nothing wrong with that. But when they get that condescending old guy shit going, I just have to tune em out. Nobody wants to chat with a cantankerous, opinionated old goat who is incapable of seeing things any other way than his own.

Nearly Normal
2011-04-17, 02:48
complaining? the only one here's been complaining is you. you're starting to push your luck over here, kiddo. you might want to think about shutting your trap sometime soon.

Sometimes you just kick dirt on the fire and call the dawgs. It aint worth the effort to learn him nothing.

Lone Wolf
2011-04-17, 07:44
I can think of any number of message boards, whether they be politically themed, or pertaining to some other activity from hiking to muscle cars, that are almost completely dominated by old guys sniping at anyone with whom they disagree. Picking fights with strangers, ostensibly for no other reason than to dispense paragraph after paragraph of unsolicited advice and opinions.

Some of the oldsters have posts numbering in the tens of thousands. I find that absolutely mind boggling. How much time does one have to spend on the internet to accrue such numbers? I can't imagine.

Perhaps some of these guys have health conditions which limit their physical activity, or have made them altogether non ambulatory and therefore they have nothing to do but argue with people on the internet while the real world passes them by. Perhaps they are trying to relive their youths or feel more relevant. I'm not sure.

I can appreciate an old guy trying to impart some wisdom to a younger buck. There is nothing wrong with that. But when they get that condescending old guy shit going, I just have to tune em out. Nobody wants to chat with a cantankerous, opinionated old goat who is incapable of seeing things any other way than his own.
i'm only 52 ya douchebag. and i've hiked more miles and posted more on WB by accident than you ever will on purpose

Kanga
2011-04-17, 10:24
hahaha wolf! i don't think he/she was talking about you.

Weary
2011-04-17, 11:28
hahaha wolf! i don't think he/she was talking about you.
He may have been talking about Gray Blazer, who's had 688 posts, since 2007, most of them seem to report the number of times "I" appears in posts by others. A strange fixation, don't you think. Just for comparison, I've only had 63 posts since 2008. Of course it helped that I forgot my pass word a while back.

Wise Old Owl
2011-04-17, 13:41
And you wonder why a young buck picks a name like Troll?

Some day you will be a

"cantankerous, opinionated old goat!"

I GUARANTEE IT!-" George Zimmer.

Wise Old Owl
2011-04-17, 13:43
Kanga, there is nothing like getting on line and having a good laugh!

JPW
2011-04-17, 13:57
I'm thinking September

How about August? Not a water problem like parts of PA? Not too crowded with North Bounders yet? (Or would that be East North East Bounders?)

Trollasaur
2011-04-17, 14:12
i'm only 52 ya douchebag. and i've hiked more miles and posted more on WB by accident than you ever will on purpose

I just checked you out on WB. Damn, grandpa! What do you do, pop a nitro, walk the trail and post from your smart phone?:aetsch:

Kanga
2011-04-17, 14:20
Okay. So maybe I was very wrong.:angel:

enviro
2011-04-17, 18:01

Kinda sux doesn't it?

:congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats:

That was so dead on Ray.

There are a lot of experts on a lot of things on this site. There are not many questions about hiking, the AT or many other trails that cannot be answered by those here. If an answer is needed there is a correct one that will be provided by someone here. Believe it or not it was that way even before you arrived Weary.

Gray Blazer
2011-04-17, 18:01
Weary now has his own HHQ thread where he can hold court, educate the newbies looking for advice, and otherwise dazzle the rest of us with his dazzleousityness.

Gray Blazer
2011-04-17, 18:02
I just checked you out on WB. Damn, grandpa! What do you do, pop a nitro, walk the trail and post from your smart phone?:aetsch:

He is the poet lauriet of WB.

ed bell
2011-04-17, 18:16
:congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats::congrats:

That was so dead on Ray.

There are a lot of experts on a lot of things on this site. There are not many questions about hiking, the AT or many other trails that cannot be answered by those here. If an answer is needed there is a correct one that will be provided by someone here. Believe it or not it was that way even before you arrived Weary.I'd ask any question here and I'd get something useful, if not downright definitive...I always loved the AT and still do, but I'm a hiker/backpacker first (in serious need of re-training) and this is the place that reflects that the most, IMHO.

JPW
2011-04-17, 19:07
I'm thinking September

So, with 184 replys so far, have we figured out when is the best time to hike Maine?

Hog On Ice
2011-04-17, 19:14
no

its one of those questions that depends on who it is that is asking and what they like/dislike

ed bell
2011-04-17, 19:29
So, with 184 replys so far, have we figured out when is the best time to hike Maine?

I'm not gonna read the entire thread for ya...sheesh....:bike:

JPW
2011-04-17, 19:41
I'm not gonna read the entire thread for ya...sheesh....:bike:
So... I guess the answer would be; when you have the time and money to support the trip. and when you wont freeze to death or drown.

Kinda like "Whats the best version of the Bible?" The one you will read.

Bearpaw
2011-04-17, 20:53

Faulty statistic. Any estimate would have to be based on the numbers recorded by the ferry man. His number might be 95%, but it's only based on a four-hour block of the day. If the ferry had been running when I was there, I might well have taken it myself.

But I arrived at the Kennebec the evening prior and camped. The water was high. Fording would have been ridiculously dangerous.

In the morning, the water was low, with multiple gravel bars exposed upstream. I crossed with ease, pulled my boots on, snapped a photo of the canoe, and headed up the trail.

There are a fair number of folks that cross in the morning before 9 AM. They are never recorded.

Using basic judgement to assess risk is wise. Sitting around waiting for a ferry that runs only four hours a day in peak season? Wise sometimes. A waste of time at others.

sheepdog
2011-04-17, 21:37

between mid August and the third week of September. Unless it's an odd numbered year then you add three days and subtract four hours.:albertein

saimyoji
2011-04-17, 23:13
Faulty statistic. Any estimate would have to be based on the numbers recorded by the ferry man. His number might be 95%, but it's only based on a four-hour block of the day. If the ferry had been running when I was there, I might well have taken it myself.

But I arrived at the Kennebec the evening prior and camped. The water was high. Fording would have been ridiculously dangerous.

In the morning, the water was low, with multiple gravel bars exposed upstream. I crossed with ease, pulled my boots on, snapped a photo of the canoe, and headed up the trail.

There are a fair number of folks that cross in the morning before 9 AM. They are never recorded.

Using basic judgement to assess risk is wise. Sitting around waiting for a ferry that runs only four hours a day in peak season? Wise sometimes. A waste of time at others.

so you basically support warren doyle in this? hmmm....maybe jack deserve one of those pork chops after all......:ahhhhh:

Weary
2011-04-18, 00:09
....Weary, we first met on another online AT information forum when some lady from Florida who couldn't find the AT if you tied her across the road at Newfound Gap went on a rant about some off topic left wing political BS and I said that kind of crap didn't belong on that site. I was right. I left that site and never posted again.

But you, Weary, took that to mean that I was a right wing Republican beer swilling ATV driving trespassing pyromaniac litterbug and posted a long, off topic rant accusing me by name of just that. I didn't call you out on that crap then and there because I'd have been a hypocrite. And I didn't push it on WB either. But you can't get away with that sort of pure lying, made up BS here....
Ray, I spent a few hours today going through the AT-L archives, and couldn't find anything that remotely resembles what you have posted here. I didn't read them all. It would take days, but I read those that seemed to mostly likely to be involved with the issues you mention.

Look yourself, if you wish. They are at: http://www.backcountry.net/arch/at

But I'm more than ever convinced I never wrote any such thing. If you find something, let me know the month and the year. The archives run from the 1990s through 2006.

Tin Man
2011-04-18, 03:58
Ray, I spent a few hours today going through the AT-L archives, and couldn't find anything that remotely resembles what you have posted here. I didn't read them all. It would take days, but I read those that seemed to mostly likely to be involved with the issues you mention.

But I'm more than ever convinced I never wrote any such thing. If you find something, let me know the month and the year. The archives run from the 1990s through 2006.

typical frigging libbie, someone tosses in a grenade, a man would jump on it, you would argue who tossed it and why . . .

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-18, 08:29
Nah........he'd argue why grenades were ever invented in the first place and by whom.

Weary
2011-04-18, 09:09
Weary now has his own HHQ thread where he can hold court, educate the newbies looking for advice, and otherwise dazzle the rest of us with his dazzleousityness.
I should probably apologize for misunderstanding Gray Blazer. I thought he was just joking when he confessed to being a moron.

Tin Man
2011-04-18, 09:23
I should probably apologize for misunderstanding Gray Blazer. I thought he was just joking when he confessed to being a moron.

hahahahahaha http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing021.gif

Lugnut
2011-04-18, 09:27
Now you're catching on Weary! :beer:

Hooch
2011-04-18, 09:28

Well played, sir. :beer:

D'Artagnan
2011-04-18, 11:21

A most revealing post.

Ray
2011-04-18, 19:39

But I'm more than ever convinced I never wrote any such thing. If you find something, let me know the month and the year. The archives run from the 1990s through 2006.Just search for how you compared my beliefs directly to those of Rush Limbaugh's.

Axehole.

And I ain't talkin' bout Rush.

Weary
2011-04-18, 20:11
Just search for how you compared my beliefs directly to those of Rush Limbaugh's.

Axehole.

Well I was active on AT-L quite a while, as a refugee from trailplace. If you could pin it down to a month and year, it would help. Or just a year would help.

Face it, this all happened a decade ago when I was young -- well 72 -- and foolish.

Skidsteer
2011-04-18, 20:14
Well I was active on AT-L quite a while, as a refugee from trailplace. If you could pin it down to a month and year, it would help. Or just a year would help.

Face it, this all happened a decade ago when I was young -- well 72 -- and foolish.

You might as well man up and apologize Weary. Ray already has the link.

He's just waiting for you to get on his last fucking nerve and say "Land Trust" one too many times.

sheepdog
2011-04-18, 20:18

He's just waiting for you to get on his last fucking nerve and say "Land Trust" one too many times.

zacktly

although I would like to be compared to Rush.

Kanga
2011-04-18, 20:44

Weary
2011-04-18, 21:11
Just search for how you compared my beliefs directly to those of Rush Limbaugh's.

Axehole.

Whatever. Ray. I need at least a hint of the year. Nothing I've looked at so far, has even mentioned Rush Limbaugh.

Kanga
2011-04-18, 21:15

Weary
2011-04-18, 21:15

Fuck you Skidsteer. I'm not playing games. If Ray has the link, he should tell us. Or shut up. I'm not screwing around with crap, any longer.

Lone Wolf
2011-04-18, 21:17
fuckin' A! don't take no shit weary :beer::argh::afraid:

ed bell
2011-04-18, 21:17
OOOOOOHHHHHH....no he didn't......:aetsch:

Kanga
2011-04-18, 21:23
Fuck you Skidsteer. I'm not playing games. If Ray has the link, he should tell us. Or shut up. I'm not screwing around with crap, any longer.

Lone Wolf
2011-04-18, 21:24
wow........

Skidsteer
2011-04-18, 21:25

See?

Isn't this better than WB? :biggrin:

ed bell
2011-04-18, 21:27
See?

Isn't this better than WB? :biggrin:

I actually LOL'ed....really...audible laughter....:adore:

Trollasaur
2011-04-18, 21:38
Weary done bucked up on yo ass! He may be 82, but he ain't taking yo shit!

Hooch
2011-04-18, 21:45
Fuck you Skidsteer. I'm not playing games. If Ray has the link, he should tell us. Or shut up. I'm not screwing around with crap, any longer.Holy crap, do you need your diaper changed or something? :ahhhhh:

Trollasaur
2011-04-18, 21:49
Holy crap, do you need your diaper changed or something? :ahhhhh:

OMG! That was brutal!

Weary
2011-04-19, 12:07
[I]....Weary, we first met on another online AT information forum when some lady from Florida who couldn't find the AT if you tied her across the road at Newfound Gap went on a rant about some off topic left wing political BS and I said that kind of crap didn't belong on that site. I was right. I left that site and never posted again.

But you, Weary, took that to mean that I was a right wing Republican beer swilling ATV driving trespassing pyromaniac litterbug and posted a long, off topic rant accusing me by name of just that. I didn't call you out on that crap then and there because I'd have been a hypocrite. And I didn't push it on WB either. But you can't get away with that sort of pure lying, made up BS here. ........
For what it's worth, here are the exact words that Ray finds offensive. I've removed his last name to avoid repeating the offense.

"But the vandals that deliberately damage our land trust property are died in
the wool, dumb, stupid, Rush Limbaugh, and probably Ray ....., conservatives.

"Let me apologize in advance if I have maligned any innocent persons."

The background: I had gone to one of our town preserves to remove six beer bottles in a campfire ring, only to discover someone had broken the bottles with a rock, and while carrying out the remains, discovered another dozen bottles frozen in the ice of a beaver flowage, next to some ATV tracks.

We had tried to work cooperatively with the local ATV club for years without success. Even agreeing to allow the machines to use old woods roads if they would stay off designated hiking trails. Sadly, the wheelers wouldn't stand for any thing less than total access.

I couldn't find the thread that prompted me to include Ray's name. Anyway, Ray, please accept my apologies for improperly maligning you in February of 2004.

And thanks to the WB lurker who supplied me with a link to the offending words.

Gray Blazer
2011-04-19, 12:14
Thank goodness we got that all straightened out. Now everybody sing Kum Buy Ya ...

Gray Blazer
2011-04-19, 12:15

He did.

Crikey
2011-04-19, 15:27
September.

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-19, 15:36
During moose mating season while wearing lots of brown alpaca clothing.

Trollasaur
2011-04-19, 15:42
For what it's worth, here are the exact words that Ray finds offensive. I've removed his last name to avoid repeating the offense.

"But the vandals that deliberately damage our land trust property are died in
the wool, dumb, stupid, Rush Limbaugh, and probably Ray ....., conservatives.

"Let me apologize in advance if I have maligned any innocent persons."

The background: I had gone to one of our town preserves to remove six beer bottles in a campfire ring, only to discover someone had broken the bottles with a rock, and while carrying out the remains, discovered another dozen bottles frozen in the ice of a beaver flowage, next to some ATV tracks.

We had tried to work cooperatively with the local ATV club for years without success. Even agreeing to allow the machines to use old woods roads if they would stay off designated hiking trails. Sadly, the wheelers wouldn't stand for any thing less than total access.

I couldn't find the thread that prompted me to include Ray's name. Anyway, Ray, please accept my apologies for improperly maligning you in February of 2004.

And thanks to the WB lurker who supplied me with a link to the offending words.

That's it? That's what Ray is STILL pissed about, a decade later?

What say ye, Ray? You still bent over that shit for real? Tell us you were just yanking Weary's chain for the hell of it.

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-19, 15:49
No, Ray isn't bent about it. He isn't that type of person.

Weary
2011-04-19, 16:34
That's it? That's what Ray is STILL pissed about, a decade later?

What say ye, Ray? You still bent over that shit for real? Tell us you were just yanking Weary's chain for the hell of it.
I can understand why Ray would be upset seven years ago. Time and memory sometimes do strange things to ancient slights.

Ray
2011-04-19, 19:45
Apology freely given and freely accepted.

A Whiteblaze lurker, did you say?

How interesting.

Gray Blazer
2011-04-19, 20:43
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

sheepdog
2011-04-19, 20:54
august-september?

JPW
2011-04-19, 21:25
august-september?

Except during a leep year,then its Feb.

Crikey
2011-04-19, 21:30
I'm actually going for May or June now. The pain of the flies pales in comparison to the drama here.
:biggrin:

Bearpaw
2011-04-19, 21:39
I'm actually going for May or June now. The pain of the flies pales in comparison to the drama here.

If the stories I've heard are half true, you'll be pale from all the blood loss. :ahhhhh:

Seriously, I only know about August and September. They were fine other than getting caught in a friggin hurricane in the 100 Mile Wilderness. Made for a couple of interesting stream crossings.

Nearly Normal
2011-04-20, 00:02
A fish!! oH SHIT. A real fish. Real is the key word here.
Where's the fire wood asshole?

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-20, 08:43
Real fish made with real cheese........

http://moneysavingmom.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/goldfish-crackers-17474.jpg

woodsy
2011-04-20, 08:49

I'd rather hike with swarms of black flies than swarms of people.

Late May through June is good.

Weary
2011-04-20, 09:57
Another foot of snow is being forecast for the mountains today and tonight, followed by a bit of rain. I talked to an avid downhill skier a few minutes ago. She reports snow conditions have never been better on Sugarloaf, and she has the slopes almost to herself. "It's spring, but there are still winter conditions in the mountains," she claims.

I'll be at the Cabin in Andover on Sunday, and will look around a bit myself. But the guy that is leaving Georgia about now to establish a new speed record may find some snow still hanging around when he reaches northern New England.

I love hiking in the winter in Maine. But if I had to choose the ideal 30 days for the AT in Maine it would be late September, early October.

Wise Old Owl
2011-04-21, 19:28
I'd rather hike with swarms of black flies than swarms of people.

Late May through June is good.

You must be kidding.....

Here is how I remember Canada.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTOcYpjizRmFbGAJHCb7vyV-H9lZzw4K1P0xKtrVfCVgncWalVGdA

Yea Tractor Trailer loads..... and we paddled through them....

woodsy
2011-04-23, 07:21
You must be kidding.....

Nope, black flies keep the city slickers aka flatlanders out of the woods for
first half the summer, its all ours .

mudhead
2011-04-23, 07:30
Still have to share with fools. Don't lie.

woodsy
2011-04-23, 07:38
Still have to share with fools. Don't lie.

I said the woods, not coast. :aetsch:

mudhead
2011-04-23, 12:35
I have to share on the coast unless it is knee deep with snow and blowing like a beast.

Numbnuts are trickling back in- other day I saw a woman having baled peat moss loaded into a Porshe 911. Looked funny going out the drive, seatbelt over the bale in the seat, potholes and such.

It is easy enough to get stuff like that delivered, especially in the pants she had on...

woodsy
2011-04-23, 18:56
I have to share on the coast unless it is knee deep with snow and blowing like a beast.

Numbnuts are trickling back in- other day I saw a woman having baled peat moss loaded into a Porshe 911. Looked funny going out the drive, seatbelt over the bale in the seat, potholes and such.

It is easy enough to get stuff like that delivered, especially in the pants she had on...

Yeah, fuckin massholes pretty much own the coast of maine

Weary
2011-04-23, 20:02
They're not all bad. Their contributions have allowed our town land trust to buy and otherwise protect a thousand acres of beautiful land, and 25 miles of great trails. And their annual contributions keep us solvent.

And best of all they are only here a few weeks a year. Though a few have moved here year round. We welcome them. One is helping to lead the battle against the efforts of a new REpublican governor to downgrade the protection of our lakes, rivers, and ocean waters.

sheepdog
2011-04-23, 20:21
There're not all bad. Their contributions have allowed our town land trust to buy and otherwise protect a thousand acres of beautiful land, and 25 miles of great trails. And their annual contributions keep us solvent.

And best of all they are only here a few weeks a year. Though a few have moved here year round. We welcome them. One is helping to lead the battle against the efforts of a new REpublican governor to downgrade the protection of our lakes, rivers, and ocean waters.

damn weary

HQ's Cliffy Claven
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6GTZrcoWEM
k6GTZrcoWEM

Skidsteer
2011-04-23, 20:31
damn weary

HQ's Cliffy Claven
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6GTZrcoWEM
k6GTZrcoWEM

Hahahahaha!

mudhead
2011-04-24, 18:09

They are working on inland too. Read about some rental cabins up Millinocket way. $500/night. Not many locals would even want a tour.

Oh wait. if there was implication there, you have made the badger angry.:)

woodsy
2011-04-24, 19:34
They are working on inland too. Read about some rental cabins up Millinocket way. $500/night. Not many locals would even want a tour.

Oh wait. if there was implication there, you have made the badger angry.:)

Yeah, thats Matt Polsteins idea of a good time, $500 a night .

I worked for him some as a WW guide on the Kennebec, can't say as i miss
him much, but good luck to him w/that :rolleyes2

warraghiyagey
2011-04-25, 09:17

That's right bitch. . . .
:bike:

Oh, and the correct answer is - the best time to hike Maine is whatever opportunity you get. . . . :beer:

warraghiyagey
2011-04-25, 09:19
Hiked the Monson to Monson loop this weekend and negelected to take snow shoes - after a couple miles of postholing we were laughing so much we couldn't move and almost froze to death. . . it was awesome!. . . . :beer::beer:

woodsy
2011-04-25, 12:27
warraghiyagey;231723]That's right bitch. . . .
:bike:

:bootyshak

Oh, and the correct answer is - the best time to hike Maine is whatever opportunity you get. . . . :beer:

Good answer

Hiked the Monson to Monson loop this weekend and negelected to take snow shoes - after a couple miles of postholing we were laughing so much we couldn't move and almost froze to death. . . it was awesome!. . . . :beer::beer:

Pics ??

Tin Man
2011-04-25, 12:46

you... suck

nice work :beer: