PDA

View Full Version : How not to plan a Scout Hike...

Tin Man
2011-04-07, 22:27
Ask Joe Patagonia Scout to plan the summer high adventure (14 yo and up) 5-day trip. Let him lose on his idea of fun - Northern section of the Long Trail. Invite everyone (11-17 yo's) on the prep hikes along with some grossly overweight adults. Listen to them whine about my past trips. Cut the trip in half to make the first prep hike easy AND entice more scouts to join us from the ones who were inclined to stay home. What do you want to bet they will be whining during and after this short trip?

So, we are doing 7 miles in 3 days on the AT in CT. That is supposed to help get us ready for 30 miles over 4-5 days on the LT? Bah.

Maybe I should just tell them to dig daddy's exercise bike out of the closet to ride while they are playing video games.

p.s. I ain't worried about my boys as they are on the swim team and can dust me in no time.

enviro
2011-04-07, 22:40
Ask Joe Patagonia Scout to plan the summer high adventure (14 yo and up) 5-day trip. Let him lose on his idea of fun - Northern section of the Long Trail. Invite everyone (11-17 yo's) on the prep hikes along with some grossly overweight adults. Listen to them whine about my past trips. Cut the trip in half to make the first prep hike easy AND entice more scouts to join us from the ones who were inclined to stay home. What do you want to bet they will be whining during and after this short trip?

So, we are doing 7 miles in 3 days on the AT in CT. That is supposed to help get us ready for 30 miles over 4-5 days on the LT? Bah.

Maybe I should just tell them to dig daddy's exercise bike out of the closet to ride while they are playing video games.

p.s. I ain't worried about my boys as they are on the swim team and can dust me in no time.

Sounds like there will be way too much extra time on those scouts hands if they are only walking a couple of miles a day.

When I was a scout, extra time meant trouble.

Tin Man
2011-04-07, 23:03
Sounds like there will be way too much extra time on those scouts hands if they are only walking a couple of miles a day.

When I was a scout, extra time meant trouble.

We always have some sort of skills training built into our trips. This trip, after the hiking is done for the day on Saturday, the older boys will be working with the younger ones on orienteering, cooking and one or two other things they need signed off for rank advancement.

Screwy thing that I can't figure out is they all run to their tents after dinner and hang out. When I was a scout we hung out around our campfire. Tents were for sleeping. I told the Scout Master we should enforce that, but he likes to let them do their own thing and doesn't like to push them much.

Ray
2011-04-07, 23:03
When I was a scout, extra time meant trouble.Still does.

Wise Old Owl
2011-04-07, 23:31
Ohh don't get me started.... I KNOW I did 10 miles at 10 Years old on the AT.

Hikerhead
2011-04-07, 23:31
We always have some sort of skills training built into our trips. This trip, after the hiking is done for the day on Saturday, the older boys will be working with the younger ones on orienteering, cooking and one or two other things they need signed off for rank advancement.

Screwy thing that I can't figure out is they all run to their tents after dinner and hang out. When I was a scout we hung out around our campfire. Tents were for sleeping. I told the Scout Master we should enforce that, but he likes to let them do their own thing and doesn't like to push them much.

It's Gameboy Time or whatever the newest fad is.....

Tin Man
2011-04-07, 23:46
It's Gameboy Time or whatever the newest fad is.....

nope. we don't allow electronics on all but one trip. cabin trip last month I counted 10 tvs and more game consoles, hand held games, audio players etc. than you can shake a stick at. I was the only one, scout or adult, who camped out in the snow. I only came in for food. A few scouts wandered out and I showed them how to build a fire in a foot of snow. Fun stuff.

enviro
2011-04-08, 08:05
Still does.

Good point Ray

Tin Man
2011-04-08, 17:35
When is a good time to panic? With one hour left before we leave, should I pack now or wait 30 minutes to pack? :ahhhhh:

dixicritter
2011-04-08, 17:46
What's the hurry, just wait a while longer. :wink:

Monk
2011-04-08, 18:45

Talk to Monkeyboy. He is a Venture Advisor and a Scoutmaster...just sayin'

Amigi
2011-04-09, 11:08
My God, when I was in the Scouts, we did 7-12 miles a day.... about what I do now as an adult when I leisure hike. And 5 days out meant at least 4 badges earned, meaning we were WORKING while we were out.

JAK
2011-04-10, 11:06
It seems ironic that the first thing you shouldn't do, is send out a scout.

Tin Man
2011-04-10, 15:11
last 2 years the saturday portion of this hike was close to 8 miles. listened to a lot of whining and complaining and not just from the scouts. we have some 11-12 year olds that i wanted to see get out there, so i shortened things up and still got less than half of the scouts.

at any rate, i was thankful that we did short miles... we were postholing in 2 feet of snow going up the north side of mt. everett in southern MA. both campsites we stayed in, glen brook friday night and race brook falls campsite saturday, were mostly snow covered and we were lucky to find some dry spots to set up the tents.

everyone had a blast though. it was sunny and around 60 at the top of mt. everett where we had lunch and hung out for about 1.5 hours saturday. beautiful day. pics later.

JAK
2011-04-12, 14:44
Perhaps it was inevitable that the scouting movement would be self-defeating as time went on. It was better to simply let boys run feral. Sure, you would lose a few each year, but at least you hadn't paid for college yet and in the end you would have something you could work, and you could make up the losses by having more kids.

Seriously though, keep the faith Tin Man.

Tin Man
2011-04-12, 22:22
Perhaps it was inevitable that the scouting movement would be self-defeating as time went on. It was better to simply let boys run feral. Sure, you would lose a few each year, but at least you hadn't paid for college yet and in the end you would have something you could work, and you could make up the losses by having more kids.

Seriously though, keep the faith Tin Man.

huh?

sheepdog
2011-04-12, 22:42
huh?

It's ok, he's a newfi :angel:

Tin Man
2011-04-12, 22:48
It's ok, he's a newfi :angel:

think he has one of these?...

http://www.jldr.com/annk_newfieoh2.jpg

sheepdog
2011-04-12, 22:53
think he has one of these?...

http://www.jldr.com/annk_newfieoh2.jpg

I think it's required

Tin Man
2011-04-12, 22:56
I think it's required

here's the inside of the Nefie 2-holer...

http://www.jldr.com/annk_newfieoh3.jpg

sheepdog
2011-04-12, 22:57
definately required

Russell
2011-04-12, 23:00
here's the inside of the Nefie 2-holer...

http://www.jldr.com/annk_newfieoh3.jpg

That is some funny shit.

Tin Man
2011-04-12, 23:02
That is some funny shit.

if you have the top row it is funny

Russell
2011-04-12, 23:22
The bottom just gets the shit and no fun.

Weary
2011-04-13, 21:15
definately required
Perhaps even definitely required.

sheepdog
2011-04-13, 21:52
Perhaps even definitely required.

are you now our spell checker??

Hog On Ice
2011-04-13, 22:04
obviously a Camo wannabe

sheepdog
2011-04-13, 22:18
obviously a Camo wannabe

seems :albertein seams so

Tin Man
2011-04-14, 06:08
The legend lives on . . .

http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=10789

Two Speed
2011-04-14, 12:45
Working with the Boy Scouts ain't my cup of tea, but gotta admit that takes character. Kludos on working with the kids, TM.

Tin Man
2011-04-14, 12:50
kludos [sic] or dumbass, not sure which, but thanks

it helps that two of the scouts have my genes and it is a good excuse to get out one weekend a month

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-14, 16:42
It's kudos.

Just sayin'.

atraildreamer
2011-04-22, 12:35
My God, when I was in the Scouts, we did 7-12 miles a day.... about what I do now as an adult when I leisure hike. And 5 days out meant at least 4 badges earned, meaning we were WORKING while we were out.

A scout in my troop was trying to earn his cooking merit badge. He dropped the eggs on the floor by accident, scooped them up back into the fry pan just before the scoutmaster came into the cabin they were staying in. He served the scoutmaster breakfast his eggs.:ahhhhh: The scoutmaster said that they were the best eggs he had ever eaten and gave him the merit badge. I can't repeat what the scoutmaster said several months later when someone finally told him how the eggs were prepared! :argh:

Bearpaw
2011-04-22, 12:40
A scout in my troop was trying to earn his cooking merit badge. He dropped the eggs on the floor by accident, scooped them up back into the fry pan just before the scoutmaster came into the cabin they were staying in. He served the scoutmaster breakfast his eggs.:ahhhhh: The scoutmaster said that they were the best eggs he had ever eaten and gave him the merit badge. I can't repeat what the scoutmaster said several months later when someone finally told him how the eggs were prepared! :argh:

Hey, they were well scrambled with "something I couldn't quite put my finger on".

I've eaten worse by choice. :angel:

Wise Old Owl
2011-04-24, 00:09
Yea I know I have eaten worse too.

saimyoji
2011-05-16, 13:54
this guy sure came out lucky

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/05/16/pennsylvania-man-survives-lightning-strike-campsite/?test=latestnews

Wise Old Owl
2011-05-31, 22:17
This reminds me of the fact that I can walk around the mall & shop four times (2 miles) with my wife...

But I can't get her to do 1/2 a mile of trail.

If that's the case with the troup- shut it down or get them retrained.

Hog On Ice
2013-06-25, 07:06
some more luck I guess : http://www.wmtw.com/weather/several-reported-hit-by-lightning-at-boy-scout-camp/-/8793538/20700208/-/ge4tcu/-/index.html

SGT Rock
2013-06-25, 11:31
The article doesn't state if any of them gained superpowers.

Hog On Ice
2013-06-25, 11:39
I was wondering more about being blinded or deafened