Just saw this link on FacePlant...

http://elementalhorizons.com/athletes.aspx

http://natureboyhiking.com/Home_Page.php

ed bell
2011-04-13, 01:20
Giddy-up....

Cuffs
2011-04-13, 01:49
My buddy Matthew is Elemental Horizons in NC. Interesting.

Hog On Ice
2011-04-13, 07:51
I didn't realize that Ward's 60 day unsupported record still held - I guess every one has been going after the supported record.

Weary
2011-04-13, 11:01
I wonder what Nature Boy meant by this sentence: "If you are wondering why I am doing this hike....I'm doing it for a feeling, a feeling that only exists when
I'm on the trial, a feeling that goes beyond words....."

Some may think his "trial" is just a common transposition of letters in "trail."

But I suspect the sentence is more accurate with "the" removed, thus reading: "....I'm doing it for a feeling, a feeling that only exists when
I'm on trial ....."

JAK
2011-04-13, 11:17
" This question of yours, Sir, about my being a house painter — or rather, not a question, you simply made a statement — is typical of the whole character of this trial that is being foisted on me. You may object that it is not a trial at all; you are quite right, for it is only a trial if I recognize it as such. But for the moment I do recognize it, on grounds of compassion, as it were. One can't regard it except with compassion, if one is to regard it at all. I do not say that your procedure is contemptible, but I should like to present that epithet to you for your private consumption. "

Franz Kafka, "The Trial"

warraghiyagey
2011-04-13, 11:20
2Z4zMrNNxfg

JAK
2011-04-13, 11:28
Life is a trial. It ain't nothing else.
Which only makes any small gifts along the way all the more precious.

JAK
2011-04-13, 11:32
Most gifts are too large, and often, to late.
Like throwing a boat anchor to a drowning man.

sheepdog
2011-04-13, 18:21
" This question of yours, Sir, about my being a house painter — or rather, not a question, you simply made a statement — is typical of the whole character of this trial that is being foisted on me. You may object that it is not a trial at all; you are quite right, for it is only a trial if I recognize it as such. But for the moment I do recognize it, on grounds of compassion, as it were. One can't regard it except with compassion, if one is to regard it at all. I do not say that your procedure is contemptible, but I should like to present that epithet to you for your private consumption. "

Franz Kafka, "The Trial"

are there subtitles for this

Weary
2011-04-13, 20:56
Life is a trial. It ain't nothing else.
Which only makes any small gifts along the way all the more precious.
I can vouch for that, having lived half a score more than the biblical three and ten. It's been fun. But punctuated quite often with trials, both mental and physical, and both on and off trails. And sadly, none have been alleviated by trail magic.

JAK
2011-04-14, 10:19
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5IzRYyv5q0

ed bell
2011-04-17, 19:25
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5IzRYyv5q0

C'mon JAK...learn the formatting....it would help your delivery...

JAK linked to a YouTube video of Nat King Cole singing "Nature Boy":

D5IzRYyv5q0

I liked it...:bandit:

JAK
2011-04-18, 19:04
[YT]
got it
thanks

Rockhound
2011-04-23, 21:43
So Liz Thompson, don't quote me on the last name. arrived at SBF today and is going for the female unsupported record. Not sure what that is but by golly she's got a shot. Started last Friday. 238 miles in 8 days. not too shabby.

Rockhound
2011-04-23, 21:44
She's doing 35 miles tomorrow to get to Elmers for Easter dinner.

Kanga
2011-04-23, 22:07
she's gonna have to go faster than that.

Sierra Echo
2011-04-23, 22:07
Hiking THAT fast doesnt appeal to me. There are too many things I would miss.

Tin Man
2011-04-23, 22:11
Hiking THAT fast doesnt appeal to me. There are too many things I would miss.

they ain't in it for the scenery

Sierra Echo
2011-04-23, 22:12
they ain't in it for the scenery

I'm gonna have to agree with that!

sheepdog
2011-04-23, 22:16
It's a fight

to the pain

Kanga
2011-04-23, 22:43
It means I leave you in anguish, wallowing in freakish misery forever.

sheepdog
2011-04-23, 22:43
except your ears

Kanga
2011-04-23, 22:44
"Dear God, what is that thing?" will echo in your perfect ears.

Bearpaw
2011-04-24, 11:26
She's doing about 30 miles a day in some tough country. She'll probably speed up a good bit in Virginia through Massachusetts. But even if she just maintains 30 a day, that's finishing in about 73 days. That may beat the unsupported women's record. I honestly only know the overall unsupported record of Ward Leonard.

Any body know the "record" (since I know there are no officially sanctioned records) for a woman's unsupported hike?

Tin Man
2011-04-24, 12:00
She's doing about 30 miles a day in some tough country. She'll probably speed up a good bit in Virginia through Massachusetts. But even if she just maintains 30 a day, that's finishing in about 73 days. That may beat the unsupported women's record. I honestly only know the overall unsupported record of Ward Leonard.

Any body know the "record" (since I know there are no officially sanctioned records) for a woman's unsupported hike?

In 2008, she set the women's supported AT record in 57 days and 8 hours - an average of 38 miles per day, according to her website. This sounds right from what I recollect from her reports back then.

http://www.blueridgehikingco.com/about.html

Tin Man
2011-04-24, 12:40

Tin Man
2011-04-24, 12:41
Looks like Nature Boy is starting midnight, May 2/3.

And Jennifer Pharr Davis, sometime in June.

should be interesting.

Jager
2011-04-24, 16:58
I guess that sort of 'hiking' is their thing, but seems nonsensical. To me, it would be just a good walk spoiled.

Each to his or her own....

Tin Man
2011-04-24, 17:13
I guess that sort of 'hiking' is their thing, but seems nonsensical. To me, it would be just a good walk spoiled.

Each to his or her own....

They have both done the trail. Their thing is endorphins. Wish them a fast hike.

jrwiesz
2011-04-25, 09:53
...To me, it would be just a good walk spoiled...

Yeah, why ruin a good hike with golf. They must be late for their tee time.

Tin Man
2011-05-03, 06:19
Nature Boy has begun . . .

JAK
2011-05-03, 08:23
Nature Boy has begun . . .
Go Nature Boy. :adore:

Gray Blazer
2011-05-03, 12:34
I think Wharfgey should go for the unsupported female record.

Tin Man
2011-05-03, 22:11
From Nature Boy...

"Day one is in the books..Springer to Low Gap shelter 41.5 miles"

Nearly Normal
2011-05-03, 23:39
From Nature Boy...

"Day one is in the books..Springer to Low Gap shelter 41.5 miles"

I guess some folks like that kinda thing.
Not me. It takes me a while looking in a creek just to see the fish or what that fox squirrel is barking at.

Tin Man
2011-05-04, 08:47
From Nature Boy...

"The unexpected joys of the trail...started a clensing last night around 12. Haven't been able to keep anything down since. :-("

Ruh Roh

Cuffs
2011-05-04, 12:06
Not me. It takes me a while looking in a creek just to see the fish or what that fox squirrel is barking at.

Amen!

Tin Man
2011-05-04, 20:51

Amen!

trail means different things to different folks. he's already done it and bunch more hiking to boot. so now he wants to test his endurance and make a go at a record. good for him. i think it is fun to follow along. if you don't, that's fine too. it's all good. :beer:

Russell
2011-05-04, 21:00
My idea of hiking is from the school of Wee Willie the Prince of Whales:

"Long term, short distance."

Nearly Normal
2011-05-04, 21:40
My idea of hiking is from the school of Wee Willie the Prince of Whales:

"Long term, short distance."

I would preferr a Yorkshire Dales type pub/inn every 12 miles or so with a good supper, breakfast and sack lunch for the next day.

sheepdog
2011-05-04, 22:02
I would preferr a Yorkshire Dales type pub/inn every 12 miles or so with a good supper, breakfast and sack lunch for the next day.

:beer::beer::beer:

Tin Man
2011-05-04, 22:17
this just in...

"Still heading north
Had a rough start to the day but my last 6 hour block went well. Camped just before Blue Ridge Gap. 31.5 today.... 73 total"

Weary
2011-05-04, 22:28
Well, I'll certainly follow along. But I don't really envy the guy. Since the age of 8 or so I've enjoyed wandering in the woods and hills. But I've never seriously competed. At least since at age 11, I finished last among 20 or so kids in a "field day" event among campers at the White Mountains National Forest Campground at Dolly Copp, outside of Gorham, NH.

A few years later as WW II rolled in I lead a few walks in the Whites, among the children of what may have been kids of "wartime profiteers," who could still afford wartime camping trips.

Again, in the 70s, while in my 30s, I became a leader again. Mostly among guys from the first TV generations, who were just recovering their childhood from too much TV. (My folks had never joined the TV crowd, until after I left home, so I wasn't tempted by the machine. I just explored the woods and river. In my decade of wandering, I had the advantage of never being able to afford to watch tv, except at an occasional bar.)

Whatever, it's been a good life. Thanks for the friendly comments on my birthday. I'll never compete with the 88-year-old who is still attempting a thru hike. Nor with the late Paw Paw's record of still hiking in his 90s.

But I like to think I can still do useful things. If not on the trail, than on maintenance of the trail, and on protecting the trail and other important natural places. During the last few days I've testified twice at Legislative hearings, trying to defeat a down grading of the water quality of the Kennebec River estuary near my home, an estuary that provides much of the livelihood for 40 familes, that harvest wild shellfish.

It's not an easy battle. On one side is a shipyard that employs 5,700 people, and needs to get the river dredged so a ship can get out of the river by September 1, for delivery to the US NAVY. On the other side are 40 "commercial" clam diggers. I'm involved because I think with a bit of thought both can win. The challenge is to make the Army Corps of Engineers, the shipyard, and the diggers to think together about the possible win-win solutions.

I've known for decades that clam diggers, at least in Maine, have very little political power. But I'm making one last try. Sorry for those who are counting such things for all the "Is."

My only excuses are that it's my birthday, it's getting late, and I'm getting old.

Lone Wolf
2011-05-04, 22:35
this just in...

"Still heading north
Had a rough start to the day but my last 6 hour block went well. Camped just before Blue Ridge Gap. 31.5 today.... 73 total"

he's already spendin' too much time tweetin', facebookin' etc. i don't see a record here. just fuckin' hike/run and brag later

Tin Man
2011-05-04, 22:37
weary, don't be making excuses. but ya may want to make some humor on occasion. we go for laughs over seriousness here. we leave seriousness for the talking newsheads

Tin Man
2011-05-04, 22:42
he's already spendin' too much time tweetin', facebookin' etc. i don't see a record here. just fuckin' hike/run and brag later

he has posted but twice a day. he doesn't appear to have a croo to tell us where he is, so let him alone to post if he wants. reading between the lines though, i agree he prolly won't set a record. odds are he will get too sick or injured. we shall see

Weary
2011-05-04, 23:26
weary, don't be making excuses. but ya may want to make some humor on occasion. ....
I tried yesterday and was accused of being fundamentalist Christian -- that produced some laughs on my part, but I doubt if many caught that joke. There's a bit of wryness in most of my posts, but I've noticed that very few notice.

Tin Man
2011-05-04, 23:29
I tried yesterday and was accused of being fundamentalist Christian -- that produced some laughs on my part, but I doubt if anyone else caught that joke.

well, get to know your audience ...

Lugnut
2011-05-04, 23:47
I tried yesterday and was accused of being fundamentalist Christian -- that produced some laughs on my part, but I doubt if many caught that joke. There's a bit of wryness in most of my posts, but I've noticed that very few notice.

Hang in there. We'll meet someplace in the middle. :beer:

Gray Blazer
2011-05-05, 00:05

Happy Natal Day to my favorite brainwashed liberal friend.

Weary
2011-05-05, 00:12
Happy Natal Day to my favorite brainwashed liberal friend.
Are you sure? I've been thinking that I've been brain washing people all these years.

Gray Blazer
2011-05-05, 00:27
All I can say is that there are a lot of clean brains around here.

JAK
2011-05-05, 03:13
Well, I'll certainly follow along. But I don't really envy the guy. Since the age of 8 or so I've enjoyed wandering in the woods and hills. But I've never seriously competed. At least since at age 11, I finished last among 20 or so kids in a "field day" event among campers at the White Mountains National Forest Campground at Dolly Copp, outside of Gorham, NH.

A few years later as WW II rolled in I lead a few walks in the Whites, among the children of what may have been kids of "wartime profiteers," who could still afford wartime camping trips.

Again, in the 70s, while in my 30s, I became a leader again. Mostly among guys from the first TV generations, who were just recovering their childhood from too much TV. (My folks had never joined the TV crowd, until after I left home, so I wasn't tempted by the machine. I just explored the woods and river. In my decade of wandering, I had the advantage of never being able to afford to watch tv, except at an occasional bar.)

Whatever, it's been a good life. Thanks for the friendly comments on my birthday. I'll never compete with the 88-year-old who is still attempting a thru hike. Nor with the late Paw Paw's record of still hiking in his 90s.

But I like to think I can still do useful things. If not on the trail, than on maintenance of the trail, and on protecting the trail and other important natural places. During the last few days I've testified twice at Legislative hearings, trying to defeat a down grading of the water quality of the Kennebec River estuary near my home, an estuary that provides much of the livelihood for 40 familes, that harvest wild shellfish.

It's not an easy battle. On one side is a shipyard that employs 5,700 people, and needs to get the river dredged so a ship can get out of the river by September 1, for delivery to the US NAVY. On the other side are 40 "commercial" clam diggers. I'm involved because I think with a bit of thought both can win. The challenge is to make the Army Corps of Engineers, the shipyard, and the diggers to think together about the possible win-win solutions.

I've known for decades that clam diggers, at least in Maine, have very little political power. But I'm making one last try. Sorry for those who are counting such things for all the "Is."

My only excuses are that it's my birthday, it's getting late, and I'm getting old.
nice post
thanks for sharing

Two Speed
2011-05-05, 08:43
I would preferr a Yorkshire Dales type pub/inn every 12 miles or so with a good supper, breakfast and sack lunch for the next day.Mmmmm, pub crawl. :beer:

sheepdog
2011-05-05, 09:29

I like wry in my toast :bike:

Tin Man
2011-05-05, 22:39
Another 40 today...

"Day 3
WOW, do I feel out of shape!!! Hope my trail legs get here soon!!! Spending the night at Wayah Gap 113.6 miles"

Skidsteer
2011-05-05, 22:44
Another 40 today...

"Day 3
WOW, do I feel out of shape!!! Hope my trail legs get here soon!!! Spending the night at Wayah Gap 113.6 miles"

What a slacker.

Tin Man
2011-05-05, 23:13
What a slacker.

Sounding like 40 mile days back to back to back is proving to be, I dunno, hard.

Bearpaw
2011-05-05, 23:35
36.3 mpd sets a new record. Just sayin'.

Whoo buddy!

Tin Man
2011-05-06, 20:25
Today...

"Long hot day
Laying in my tent feasting on ramen dry noodles. Fix'n to workover some honey stingers & some pudding too !!! Cody Gap 41 miles"

Tin Man
2011-05-08, 06:49
no reports from nature boy yesterday, although someone posted he did enter the smoky's

Furlough
2011-05-08, 09:47
well, get to know your audience ...

Weary,
Screw all that type of input. Variety is the spice of life. Folks are constantly reminded to HYOH, so I say Post your own post, your input your way seems to have served you well.

Furlough

Furlough
2011-05-08, 09:49
I like wry in my toast :bike:

Not bad as a whiskey either.:beer:

JAK
2011-05-08, 11:58
One tough hombre.

Tin Man
2011-05-08, 14:58
This is where he spent last night...

In for the night
8pm, and I'm calling it at Double Springs Shelter. 3 miles from Clingmans, but it will be waiting for me in the morning... :-) 40 miles today

Tin Man
2011-05-08, 22:32
still going...

Looks like I blew my 6 hour blocks, I got tired of the shelters in the Smokey's so I hiked all night. Spent the afternoon at Standing Bear. 85 miles...Hot Springs tomorrow :-)

Skidsteer
2011-05-08, 22:45
still going...

Looks like I blew my 6 hour blocks, I got tired of the shelters in the Smokey's so I hiked all night. Spent the afternoon at Standing Bear. 85 miles...Hot Springs tomorrow :-)

85 miles! Damn.

Tin Man
2011-05-08, 22:55
85 miles! Damn.

a few years ago, bro and i did back to back 16 miles day in MA - sun up to sun down - thought we would die - can't imagine the kind of shape one has to be in to survive 85 miles

JAK
2011-05-09, 05:23
I'm thinking I'll get my fat ass outside and walk some of this off.
Thanks Nature Boy.

Tin Man
2011-05-09, 22:18

Felt like I was in a time warp, no cell service!! Spending night on Rich Mountain. Week #1 complete 280.1 miles hiked.

Ray
2011-05-09, 23:07
.... Felt like I was in a time warp, It's just a step to the left....

Gray Blazer
2011-05-09, 23:40

Felt like I was in a time warp, no cell service!! Spending night on Rich Mountain. Week #1 complete 280.1 miles hiked.

280 would have been enough, but no ... you had to do 280.1.

BTW that firetower sucks in the middle of the night in a thunderstorm.

mudhead
2011-05-10, 08:11
It's just a step to the left....

I just had to jump on this visual.

Tin Man
2011-05-12, 19:08
from about 11am today, 5/12...

In my tent feasting on Spam and pudding, waiting on the sun to show up and dry my socks!!! ¡ mile 382.8 a few miles south of 19E

Tin Man
2011-05-16, 17:20
Regurgitating from Facebook...

Nature Boy has completed 527 miles as of this morning after 13.5 days on the trail, but is down at the moment. He has an infected cut on his foot and is waiting for the anti-biotics to kick in. He hopes to resume his hike tomorrow afternoon.

Cuffs
2011-05-16, 17:44
He passed thru TD on Saturday (I think thats what day it was...)

Hikerhead
2011-05-17, 21:06
I believe he's at The Barn in Atkins today, Jermm and Smokestack should see him as the blows by.

Lugnut
2011-05-17, 23:07
He had a mail drop at Kincora he never picked up. Probably his anti-biotics.

Jester
2011-05-25, 04:14
It's just a step to the left....

Actually, it's just a jump to the left, and then a step to the right.

warraghiyagey
2011-05-25, 07:49
With your hands on your hips. . .

dixicritter
2011-05-25, 14:02
Just read on FB that he was attacked last night.

saimyoji
2011-05-25, 14:03
Just read on FB that he was attacked last night.

attacked by what?

Jester
2011-05-25, 14:42
Pulled from his tent at 1am or so and had the crap beaten out of him. They supposedly called him by name; if so it wasn't a random attack. Also, they'd have to be checking whiteblaze or his twitter feed to know where he was.

Much talk now about carrying guns or what he-man barbarian punishment some would like to mete out.

More to me like a cautionary tale about letting people know where you are every damn day.

Hog On Ice
2011-05-25, 14:45
my first thought was Ward decided to defend his record but then I can't see Ward cooperating with anyone to beat someone up

Hikerhead
2011-05-25, 15:00
I haven't seen anything about a police report. I'm guessing that if this is true he probably passed them sometime close to camp. Can't imagine someone just going off into the woods to beat up a hiker. I'm not a detective, I just play one on TV.

Two Speed
2011-05-25, 15:04
HH, I think you're making the mistake of trying to apply logic to a senseless act.

Hikerhead
2011-05-25, 15:32
HH, I think you're making the mistake of trying to apply logic to a senseless act.

Your right. I'm going to shut the hell up.

Two Speed
2011-05-25, 15:58
Nah, that wasn't a STFU, just pointing out that trying to apply reasoning to those people is gonna drive you nuts.

Gaiter
2011-05-25, 17:23
this is definitely a senseless act, but just curious is he the type that can rub people the wrong way?

warraghiyagey
2011-05-25, 19:45
this is definitely a senseless act, but just curious is he the type that can rub people the wrong way?

Gee, someone who needs everyone on the planet to know how awesome he's fixin to be. . . what are the chances . . . ? . . . :bandit:

Lone Wolf
2011-05-25, 20:23
i'm startin' to not buyin' the story.... lotta unexplained, vague shit

JERMM
2011-05-25, 20:30
i'm startin' to not buyin' the story.... lotta unexplained, vague shit

like what?

Lone Wolf
2011-05-25, 20:35
no perp descriptions, was able to hike out, no police report, no description of injuries. he's really vague on facebook. somethin' ain't addin' u,p. he ain't telling us somethin'. gut feeling

JERMM
2011-05-25, 20:36
no perp descriptions, was able to hike out, no police report, no description of injuries. he's really vague on facebook. somethin' ain't addin' u,p. he ain't telling us somethin'. gut feeling

time will tell

Lone Wolf
2011-05-25, 20:37
time will tell

this is true. i hope i'm way off base

Two Speed
2011-05-25, 20:37
Possible. Wouldn't be the first time the story "changed" as time went on.

Ray
2011-05-25, 21:47
no perp descriptions, was able to hike out, no police report, no description of injuries. he's really vague on facebook. somethin' ain't addin' u,p. he ain't telling us somethin'. gut feelingSo what you're trying to say is .... "Bless his heart."

Lone Wolf
2011-05-25, 22:10
So what you're trying to say is .... "Bless his heart."

kinda, sorta. just ain't beleivin' 2 random fucks came up to him at 2 am and beat the shit outa him

Elder
2011-05-25, 23:38
I met him for breakfast this morning...and he is definitly Damaged.
He has a lovely mouse on one eye and was still obviously dizzy and in pain.

He says he was awakened by 2-3guys calling his name (NatureBoy)and throwing pebbles/sticks(?) against his tent. He said he was trying to sleep.
A little later he wakened again to someone unzipping his tent..he said WTF! and started to crawl out.
the next he knew he was waking in the dirt and dark by his tent with numerous painful spots.
No way to know how long he was out, but there was no one around..
Not robbery, he gathered all his gearand made his way 1.5+ miles to a shelter.
He waited at the shelter for daylight, then made his way out, and shuttled to Waynesboro.

No doubt it happened.
Lone Wolf, you would agree if you checked him as I did.
No he has no idea who, or more, why?

It seems likely to be someone, or two within the "hiker community" and I expect someone knows ...and we will find out..

Karma debt is a Bitch.
Living as the COWARDS they are, is worse..

Lone Wolf
2011-05-25, 23:46
I met him for breakfast this morning...and he is definitly Damaged.
He has a lovely mouse on one eye and was still obviously dizzy and in pain.

He says he was awakened by 2-3guys calling his name (NatureBoy)and throwing pebbles/sticks(?) against his tent. He said he was trying to sleep.
A little later he wakened again to someone unzipping his tent..he said WTF! and started to crawl out.
the next he knew he was waking in the dirt and dark by his tent with numerous painful spots.
No way to know how long he was out, but there was no one around..
Not robbery, he gathered all his gearand made his way 1.5+ miles to a shelter.
He waited at the shelter for daylight, then made his way out, and shuttled to Waynesboro.

No doubt it happened.
Lone Wolf, you would agree if you checked him as I did.
No he has no idea who, or more, why?

It seems likely to be someone, or two within the "hiker community" and I expect someone knows ...and we will find out..

Karma debt is a Bitch.
Living as the COWARDS they are, is worse..

still fuckin' odd. i'm a skeptic. hope it pans out

woodsy
2011-05-26, 08:22
The moral of the story is be careful who you piss off.
nature boy ain't telling the whole story IMO.

warraghiyagey
2011-05-26, 08:34

agreed. . .

General
2011-05-26, 09:06
yeah, my brother in law fell down a flight of steps, tore his self up right. 5 days in ICU. a year later, it finally comes out. he went down to ole ciudad juarez and got the shit beaten out of his self by some bas ass mesticans. there is always more to the story.

Tin Man
2011-05-26, 11:30

prolly so, but whatever happened ain't no reason to give a beatin', if that is indeed what happened.

the other thought I had is he had a bad fall or was in some sort of nightmare / sleepwalk / delirium ran into a tree or something. but then why would he make up a beatin' story? part of his unconscious told him that is what happened? dunno, but agreed somethings missing

JAK
2011-05-26, 15:25
Why is it so unlikely that he got rolled by some low lifes ?

Not saying it was likely before the fact, but after the fact it is the mostly likely explaination, isn't it ?

Skidsteer
2011-05-26, 18:09
Why is it so unlikely that he got rolled by some low lifes ?

It happened a long way from a road crossing.

Cuffs
2011-05-26, 18:17

And? That just tells me it wasnt locals and/or non hiking types. And while it may have occurred a ways from an AT road crossing, that doesnt mean that another road doesnt come near the AT, but happens to not cross it. (Granted, I dont know the area and have yet to look at a map of the area too...)

There are some lowlife hiking types out there. Also, some of the scariest people Ive met on a trail have been deep in the woods, not near a road.

Someone earlier made a good point though and I agree with whole heartedly. Quit broadcasting your minutia details about your location!

Skidsteer
2011-05-26, 18:20
And? That just tells me it wasnt locals and/or non hiking types. And while it may have occurred a ways from an AT road crossing, that doesnt mean that another road doesnt come near the AT, but happens to not cross it. (Granted, I dont know the area and have yet to look at a map of the area too...)

There are some lowlife hiking types out there. Also, some of the scariest people Ive met on a trail have been deep in the woods, not near a road.

Someone earlier made a good point though and I agree with whole heartedly. Quit broadcasting your minutia details about your location!

I'm firmly in the camp of "waiting for the rest of the story"

Lugnut
2011-05-26, 18:45

Paging Paul Harvey!

Tin Man
2011-05-26, 19:14

that would be best

Tin Man
2011-05-26, 19:15
he posted this about an hour ago...

Went back on trail this am, but after a mile my head became so foggy and dizzy I had to stop. Back in town for another couple of days :-(

JAK
2011-05-26, 19:45
That is weird.
What about ATV trails? Just curious.

Most ATVers up here are regular folks, but there are some wingnuts.

Tin Man
2011-05-26, 19:47
That is weird.
What about ATV trails? Just curious.

Most ATVers up here are regular folks, but there are some JAKnuts.

i imagine so

JAK
2011-05-26, 20:28
ooops

Skidsteer
2011-05-26, 21:01
The latest from FB:

Alot of stories about what happened to me are floating around, I blame myself for most of them because I have been very vague about what happened. This was a very rare occurance for the AT and I did not want to shed a bad light on the AT. I have not been to the hospital, but I have been consulting with doctors online and by phone. I don't have cracked ribs, or any other broken bones. The issuses that I am having all deal with the concussion that I received. I'm still having head aches, foggyness, memories problems, dizziness, and issues with my cordination and balance. These issues are not present all the time, the come and go. I did not report the incident becauce I figured the hiking community would sort it out on it's own, but a few hours ago I was contacted by a National Park Federal Ranger. He told me that he had received numerous calls about the incident, and someone gave him my contact info. I talked with Marc for an hour or so and filled out a report.

Skidsteer
2011-05-26, 21:12
Part 2:

If anyone has any info or questions about the incident you can contact Marc Cyr at 540-377-2270. I did attempt to get back on trail today and succeded for about a mile before my head became foggy and dizzy. I returned to town and am planning on resting for 2 more days or so. I have a great desire to continue, but I am also scared to death. I have never dealt with anything like this before, I am used to injuries where I just grit my teeth and push through the pain. This injury does not allow me to do that. I have never been afraid to sleep in my tent, but now I am very nervous about sleeping alone in my tent. The fear of not being able to continue is always close, but I am not ready to accept it. The support from friends and strangers keeps my spirts high. I long for a quiet unknown hike, but secretly enjoy sharing my hike with others....I am mentally fatigued, but excited to see where I will end up..:-)

Lone Wolf
2011-05-26, 21:29
why the fuck would he not seek medical attention? i call bullshit

dixicritter
2011-05-26, 21:49
He's a man and y'all are stubborn about going to the doctor. Duhhh. :wink:

Lone Wolf
2011-05-26, 21:51
this story is bullshit. no cops or medical folks involved

Cuffs
2011-05-26, 21:58

I dislocated my jaw 3 days ago. Got slammed by a falling tree. Still swollen up like a chipmunk. Haven't been to the doc yet. Don't plan on going either

Lone Wolf
2011-05-26, 22:01
I dislocated my jaw 3 days ago. Got slammed by a falling tree. Still swollen up like a chipmunk. Haven't been to the doc yet. Don't plan on going either

whatever. he may have a brain injury. or no injury at all. no doc has seen him. fuckin bullshit.

Kanga
2011-05-26, 22:14

Very common occurrence with female rape victims. Doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Tin Man
2011-05-26, 22:14

i seem to recall someone who walked around with tightness in his chest, shortness of breath, and such, before a full boat heart attack got his ass some help.

i also recall someone who got a nasty bee sting, swole up, shortness of breath, and such, before he got his ass some help

seems these someones have something in common with nature boy

Lone Wolf
2011-05-26, 22:20
gullible folks

Tin Man
2011-05-26, 22:21
not saying i'm totally buying it either, but some folks is stubborn and shit

JAK
2011-05-26, 22:37
I'm going with Schrödinger's cat on this one.

Tin Man
2011-05-26, 22:38
I'm going with Schrödinger's cat on this one.

don't forget the duct tape

JAK
2011-05-26, 22:38
... but I am hoping the cat is alive.

JAK
2011-05-26, 22:39
don't forget the duct tapeLOL

Schrödinger's sheep might have been a better choice there.

JAK
2011-05-26, 22:40
don't forget the duct tapeahh
just got another reference

that's just nasty

Tin Man
2011-05-26, 22:42
i think you need at least 3 more posts to reply to mine :albertein

JAK
2011-05-26, 22:46
so what did you mean ?
either way it was funny as hell

Tin Man
2011-05-26, 22:47
i'm multi-dimensional in my simple replies :beer:

JAK
2011-05-26, 22:50
it is duct tape after all
could be used for anything

I should have gone with Schrödinger's Duct Tape

Tin Man
2011-05-26, 22:50
it is duct tape after all
could be used for anything

I should have gone with Schrödinger's Duct Tape

then you would definitely need a squirrel

JAK
2011-05-26, 22:57
that was it

I hope I'm not coming down with Alzhiemers. I would miss all these fucked up jokes. Now that would be serious.

Good thing we're looking out for each other. Keeps us sharp. lol
:beer:

Tin Man
2011-05-26, 23:00
that was it

I hope I'm not coming down with Alzhiemers. I would miss all these fucked up jokes. Now that would be serious.

who you calling fucked up? :motz:

you getting any wind chill this time of year? :angel:

mudhead
2011-05-27, 07:47

Some truth there, but he is mentally fuzzy. Even I would think about a doc.

Gaiter
2011-05-27, 12:02

this coming from the guy who posting about having allergic reaction to a bee sting and not wanting to go to the hospital... if i remember correctly we had to talk you into going to be seen...

Bearpaw
2011-05-27, 12:15
this coming from the guy who posting about having allergic reaction to a bee sting and not wanting to go to the hospital... if i remember correctly we had to talk you into going to be seen...

Actually folks recommending Wolf go didn't make him go. He went when he started feeling dizzy and losing control of his body. That's where Nature Boy is now. Wolf's point stands.

Tin Man
2011-05-27, 12:20
Actually folks recommending Wolf go didn't make him go. He went when he started feeling dizzy and losing control of his body. That's where Nature Boy is now. Wolf's point stands.

sure? i thought gypsy dragged his ass out

Elder
2011-05-27, 12:49

No Lone Wolf, the bullshit is what your spreading.

He's filed a report now.

I checked him out...My EMT expired years ago but many years of cave and rock rescue, and seeing many head injuries, makes me comfortable in my knowledge..and it's limits.

Nature Boy took a solid slam to the side of his head, I would guess foot or maybe knee as he was crawling out of his tent. No broken skin so probably not a weapon. All his other injuries are bruising also, none of serious nature.
Still somewhat dazed after 36 hours...concussion. Headache and dizzy.
Eyes clear, pupils equal and responsive. Appetite good.
My judgement, which I told him, was 3-5 days down to feel good, a week or more to be right. Moving sooner would, and did, cause dizziness etc. He needs to heal, then give it a couple more days.
Rule of thumb is the lenght of the initial injury, dizzy etc until you feel ok, is 1/2 the healing..3-5 days to feel ok? 6-8 to healthy.
Concussions are funny, many long term after effects are common like headache and sleepiness.

His choice was not to go to the Doctor, but he knows what to watch for and will go (may already have) if things change, or do not improve quickly.

Not improbable that he does not remember everything, but that may come back.

How about giving him a break? He has already done an amazing hike..

Why anyone would do this to Nature Boy?
I can not even imagine the cowardice..

Gaiter
2011-05-27, 13:03

yeah good point...

GGS2
2011-05-27, 15:09
Concussions are funny. And athletes can be funny about them too. Recent research is compelling changes in sport medicine, especially in contact sports like hockey and football. A couple of NHL stars have been out for months with concussion. The damage is real and may not heal quickly.

If NB went to a hospital, he might be in for a long series of tests, and then a long recovery in and out of hospital. He's a highly motivated athlete, and I bet he knows all this. Also, his brain has been addled, so he's not thinking straight. I guess he's just waiting it out and hoping for the best, scared his hike would be in danger if he did something sensible.

So I don't call bullshit. Just stupid under the influence of a closed skull injury. I hope he gets some expert advice at a hospital.

Tin Man
2011-05-27, 15:28
latest from NB...

Turns out, after going to the hospital, that I suffered a head trama (concussion). They did a CT and it came back good, no bleeds.

vonfrick
2011-05-27, 18:31
wow this is all of a sudden getting to be a popular site, perhaps i should post here more?

Hog On Ice
2011-05-27, 19:32
don't do it frick - you'll just get a bunch of weirdos hitting on you

generoll
2011-05-27, 21:03

does she have pictures?

JAK
2011-05-27, 22:16
wow this is all of a sudden getting to be a popular site, perhaps i should post here more?What's your inseam?

Lugnut
2011-05-27, 22:28
I think her inseam is about 14. She's a midget. :ahhhhh:

Tin Man
2011-05-28, 23:27
lw called it, less posting, dont' post, just hike and brag later. better luck next time...

Heading to Ohio to spend some time with family while I try and recover. I'm not a big fan of concussions, much rather deal with blisters & sore knees!!!

Tin Man
2011-05-28, 23:29

yep...

Skidsteer
2011-05-28, 23:45
yep...

Dude just shut the fuck up.

This kid was within record pace for nearly 40% of the trail and was improving his average weekly until the ass beating.

1. He had a good shot at it.
2. You don't.
3. I was selfishly enjoying the constant updates.
4. Lone Wolf has a point, but you ain't Lone Wolf.

gungho
2011-05-28, 23:52
lw called it, less posting, dont' post, just hike and brag later. better luck next time...

Heading to Ohio to spend some time with family while I try and recover. I'm not a big fan of concussions, much rather deal with blisters & sore knees!!!

wtf.......dude all u do is cyber hike

Roots
2011-05-28, 23:52

This kid was within record pace for nearly 40% of the trail and was improving his average weekly until the ass beating.

2. You don't.

This is exactly why I love you!!! <3

Tin Man
2011-05-28, 23:58

2. You don't.

wtf.......dude all u do is cyber hike

This is exactly why I love you!!! <3

bad tin man. bad! :banghead:

Tin Man
2011-05-29, 00:00
i really only meant to say that it was the updates that brought out the ugly people... if'n i ever ran into those bitches, i would... call in an airstrike or sumthin'

gungho
2011-05-29, 00:01

.................................................. ..........................

Roots
2011-05-29, 00:02

Why was I quoted in that??? I was responding to Skids not you?

Tin Man
2011-05-29, 00:03
.................................................. ..........................

agreed :argh:

Tin Man
2011-05-29, 00:04
Why was I quoted in that??? I was responding to Skids not you?

whatever...

Roots
2011-05-29, 00:07
you calling skids a cyber hiker?? :ahhhhh: oh, never mind...

What the fuck? I never called you a cyber hiker...gungho did! Get it straight dude!

Roots
2011-05-29, 00:09
whatever...

Nice dude :captain::hello::hello::itsme::rofl::congrats:

Tin Man
2011-05-29, 00:10
What the fuck? I never called you a cyber hiker...gungho did! Get it straight dude!

i deleted my comment mr. roots :aetsch:

Tin Man
2011-05-29, 00:11
Nice dude :captain::hello::hello::itsme::rofl::congrats:

that's better... :adore:

Tin Man
2011-05-29, 00:11
now whjere the frigggg is the drunken cooter pastin therad??

Roots
2011-05-29, 00:12
i deleted my comment mr. roots :aetsch:

Mr roots is for warraghy to call me... Not you :aetsch:

Tin Man
2011-05-29, 00:22
Mr roots is for warraghy to call me... Not you :aetsch:

i know... :aetsch:

[run, tin man, run]

JAK
2011-05-29, 04:21

2. You don't.

+4 Skidsteer

JAK
2011-05-29, 04:31
now whjere the frigggg is the drunken cooter pastin therad??+5 Tin Man

JoeyB
2011-05-29, 08:12
Dang !!! looks like nature boy ain't the only one takin' a shot to the head here.

http://s3.postimage.org/bs2n6t4ym/face1232209783301.jpg

carry on.

Tin Man
2011-05-29, 09:58
shots are cheap around these parts, but at least we get to keep our parts - no ears have been bitten off - at least that i'm aware of

vonfrick
2011-05-31, 11:03

ya think?

Hog On Ice
2011-05-31, 12:53
fo suuure

SolarBronco
2011-06-06, 18:47
I hate the fact that people have tried to make the AT into a racetrack.
Just gotta make a race out of it. Nature Boy may have in fact been attacked, or maybe he lies. I really don't care.

Why in the heck would someone want to do the AT that fast? And then tell everyone about it, like the winner would now be an "AT Champion" ? All hail some dickhead who decided to run the damn trail and brag about how fast he or she is?

I rank that crap right up there with the new AT hall of fame.

Maybe it's time to start putting Grizzlies and Cougars in and around the AT. Slow things down a bit for a while. Or we will find ourselves having to win a lottery permit just to hike on it pretty soon.

Love the AT? Thank a Ridgerunner or a Trail Volunteer for picking up your trash from shelters.

Tin Man
2011-06-06, 18:50
I hate the fact that people have tried to make the AT into a racetrack.
Just gotta make a race out of it. Nature Boy may have in fact been attacked, or maybe he lies. I really don't care.

Why in the heck would someone want to do the AT that fast? And then tell everyone about it, like the winner would now be an "AT Champion" ? All hail some dickhead who decided to run the damn trail and brag about how fast he or she is?

I rank that crap right up there with the new AT hall of fame.

Maybe it's time to start putting Grizzlies and Cougars in and around the AT. Slow things down a bit for a while. Or we will find ourselves having to win a lottery permit just to hike on it pretty soon.

Love the AT? Thank a Ridgerunner or a Trail Volunteer for picking up your trash from shelters.

the AT is open to everyone... even dumbasses like you :bootyshak

SolarBronco
2011-06-06, 18:53
In fact, if I won the lottery I would buy up all of the land on the AT and interview potential hikers each year. Some I'd block, some I'd pay for their entire hike.

Tin Man
2011-06-06, 18:57
In fact, if I won the lottery I would buy up all of the land on the AT and interview potential hikers each year. Some I'd block, some I'd pay for their entire hike.

the AT ain't for sale... and neither are most of the hikers... what else you got??..dumbass

SolarBronco
2011-06-06, 19:08
Counting the days until I hear about the trail being re-routed around the problem bear- shelter areas, from all of the people who have dumped food on the ground and left trash behind over the last ten years.

The bears all know where to go now for food. The over use of the trail will get a bunch of bears killed, and someday some idiot will surely die trying to pet one. That will be the last straw.

Maybe next year I'll take a few months off and try to break the "naked on a pogo stick" record.

Tin Man
2011-06-06, 19:12
Counting the days until I hear about the trail being re-routed around the problem bear- shelter areas, from all of the people who have dumped food on the ground and left trash behind over the last ten years.

The bears all know where to go now for food. The over use of the trail will get a bunch of bears killed, and someday some idiot will surely die trying to pet one. That will be the last straw.

Maybe next year I'll take a few months off and try to break the "naked on a pogo stick" record.

go for it... since public nudity is highly frowned upon and is downright nasty with all the kids hiking the trail, that should get you a few years in a cell with bubba. enjoy :beer:

General
2011-06-06, 19:21
The over use of the trail will get a bunch of bears killed, and someday some idiot will surely die trying to pet one. That will be the last straw.

they are completely petable after about 3 ketamine darts. really pissed off after they come around though. definantly not a good idea to pet one then.

are you using spoons, plugs, or live bait, and at what depth?

SolarBronco
2011-06-06, 19:31
I saw 8 different black bears in the Enchanted Valley in Washington last weekend.

Two were sitting on the trail and had to go around. One was right in camp for a few hours, I hung my bag like normal and went to sleep with the bear about 40 yards away.

Up there, the bears haven't associated people with food, YET. Once more people start going up there and lea ing food around, that area will be ruined too.

Lone Wolf
2011-06-06, 19:37

Hoop Time on WB is onto somethin'
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=73181&page=11

JAK
2011-06-07, 17:28
If he wanted to fake an excuse he could just said he hit a tree, which I just did on my last hike by the way. Quite the shiner.

JAK
2011-06-07, 17:36
I think i broke my nose also, but could be an improvement. Itwas already broken once before.

Kanga
2011-06-07, 17:36
seriously, why would someone as experience as nb make shit up? the naysayers are just trolling..

JAK
2011-06-07, 18:11
I agree. Not sure the motivation. Mostly trolling maybe. I think LWs just voicing honest gut feelings, in his usual way. I just happen to disagree with him this time. Some folks might be overly concerned about the reputation of the trail, or trail communities, or whatever. I can understand that, but that should be balanced with concern for nature boy, etc. I think all the attention shook him up more than anything else. I dont know, i know i like a little attention when i go on my humble treks, but i wouldnt like mobs showing up at road crossings. Live by the sword die by the sword i suppose, but i think some trail journals etc are really only intended for a narrow audience, even when they might not appear to be, and people should be more sensitive to that. This also shows that even high performance athletes like nature boy or jennifer phar are still people. Whatever fame or achievements they achieve certainly shouldnt give people licence to do them harm in any way. Society needs to clean up its act.

ed bell
2011-06-07, 23:03
I really don't have an opinion about the validity of NB's account, but I will say it would be extremely ballsy to approach and call out a complete stranger at a campsite in the middle of the night with the intent of simply kicking someone's ass. The risk/reward of doing that just doesn't make sense.

Tin Man
2011-06-07, 23:06
I really don't have an opinion about the validity of NB's account, but I will say it would be extremely ballsy to approach and call out a complete stranger at a campsite in the middle of the night with the intent of simply kicking someone's ass. The risk/reward of doing that just doesn't make sense.

if'n it did happen, i am guessing copious amounts of alcohol and/or drugs were involved. still can't imagine why someone who make that shit up, unless of course copious amounts of alcohol and/or drugs were involved

Tin Man
2011-06-08, 19:09
Nature Boy is back in Georgia...

Lone Wolf
2011-06-08, 20:19
so............

Nearly Normal
2011-06-08, 20:41
so............

........maybe he won't fall down again in a bad spot.
Luck!

Lone Wolf
2011-06-08, 21:55
........maybe he won't fall down again in a bad spot.
Luck!

yeah, no shit. :rolleyes: oh, and is he thru-hikin' or something? Ward's record will stand for a long time...

Tin Man
2011-06-08, 22:17
he hasn't stated his intentions... but i wouldn't be surprised if he starts all over

Lone Wolf
2011-06-08, 22:18
he hasn't stated his intentions... but i wouldn't be surprised if he starts all over

whoopee do!:beer:

fiddlehead
2011-06-08, 22:25

Too hot now IMO.
I run in the heat most days and ALWAYS do better (time-wise) when it's drizzling or even cloudy)

Tin Man
2011-06-08, 23:08
whoopee do!:beer:

lol. i could give a fuck, so unless you got something better to follow, i say we watch retread refail or whatever :beer:

Too hot now IMO.
I run in the heat most days and ALWAYS do better (time-wise) when it's drizzling or even cloudy)

yeah, his 6 hour blocks may have to be reduced to navy - 4 hour duties or whatever they call 'em

vonfrick
2011-06-08, 23:27
lol. i could give a fuck, so unless you got something better to follow, i say we watch retread refail or whatever :beer:

here...this is entertaining
http://www.thesarahpalinblog.com/

Tin Man
2011-06-08, 23:42
here...this is entertaining
http://www.thesarahpalinblog.com/

i don't vomit easily, but i could feel that tickle in the back of my throat... thanks! :argh:

Rockhound
2011-06-10, 10:42

Cool. I figure a smooth five grand cash should do nicely. Just pm me the confirmation number and you can send it to me Western Union. This sponsorship does include roadside RV support I'm assuming. Perhaps a $1,000 gear allowance is in order also. Thanks brother.