PDA

View Full Version : Bug netting has the runs

jack daniels
2003-05-16, 23:29
I have a new REI Half Dome Plus 2 tent. After about a week of a section hike of the AT last month, the bug mesh in one of the doors began to run (like panty hose) from the edge where it was sewed to the door frame. The runs are at the area of maximum stress created when zipping the door shut and are still pretty short and small.

Does anyone know if there's a good way to stop the runs before they get too big and start letting critters in?

Streamweaver
2003-05-17, 01:03
If its new I would send it back to the manufacturer for repair or replacement . Streamweaver

jack daniels
2003-05-17, 12:14
I may do that. REI is good about standing behind their stuff. I just didn't know if this is a common problem and if it is thought I'd try to see if there is a relatively easy fix.

Thanks.

kwiki
2003-05-17, 23:19
I own the same tent and had the seam come loose on the first trip with it. I had ordered it on-line (I live in Green Bay WI) and was at Glacier National Park when the problem occurred. We stopped at the REI store in Missoula MT. The store clerk took one look at it, didn't ask for a receipt, put is hand when the bad seam had come undone, and ripped it another 2 or 3 feet. "There we won't sell that one again", he said to me and then told me to get another one off the shelf. REI is an excellent store AND I love my Half Dome tent. Good Luck.

cldphoto
2003-05-19, 19:53
Presume you'll be going back to one of the REI locations in Atlanta, Haven't done business with the ones near Perimeter or Mall of Georgia, but the one off the I-85 access road near Clairmont always treated me well when I was there and worked with me on the one occasion I had a gear problem (ripped jacket, if I recall correctly).

jack daniels
2003-05-19, 20:16
Thanks, that is the one I go to and, as you say, they have always been very customer oriented and courteous. I like doing business with them.

Sgathak
2003-05-19, 20:25
for a field expedient fix for running mesh... coat the rip with clear nail polish, varnish, or similar paintlike product.

but if at all possible, it better to just get it fixed/replaced

kwiki
2003-05-19, 21:41
Sgathak,

Excellent idea on how to repair with a field expedient.

Kwiki

jack daniels
2003-05-23, 20:09
Originally posted by kwiki
I own the same tent and had the seam come loose on the first trip with it. I had ordered it on-line (I live in Green Bay WI) and was at Glacier National Park when the problem occurred. We stopped at the REI store in Missoula MT. The store clerk took one look at it, didn't ask for a receipt, put is hand when the bad seam had come undone, and ripped it another 2 or 3 feet. "There we won't sell that one again", he said to me and then told me to get another one off the shelf. REI is an excellent store AND I love my Half Dome tent. Good Luck.

I took the tent back today (also with no receipt) and they didn't bat an eye -- they just offered to do anything I wanted. I took a refund as I need to get a lighter tent -- but my wife was heartbroken when I got home and told her -- she loved that tent so much she even offered to CARRY IT on the next section!!! Anyway, REI has as good a customer satisfaction policy as I have EVER seen.

Streamweaver
2003-05-23, 20:53
Glad to hear that worked out!!! Im not sure but I think if you tried fixing the rip and it didnt work,that might have voided the warrenty. So I think you did the right thing buy taking it back first. Streamweaver