PDA

View Full Version : WB Lurkers

Pages : [1] 2

Gray Blazer
2011-04-19, 21:45
I admit it. I may have even posted over there this month. I can't help it Matty's post are so ... interesting.

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-19, 22:06
Very rarely go there anymore.

It isn't fun anymore. It's become like going to military school over there.

Gray Blazer
2011-04-19, 23:21
I used to love WB. Alligator wrecked it for me. Weird but true.

Tin Man
2011-04-19, 23:25
I used to love WB. Alligator wrecked it for me. Weird but true.

say it ain't so!

Sierra Echo
2011-04-19, 23:28
I admit it. I may have even posted over there this month. I can't help it Matty's post are so ... interesting.

Is he for real? I mean is that an act or is he just a nut nut?

Bearpaw
2011-04-19, 23:28
I just posted something over there today. I think.

I probably make 1-3 posts over there a week. Used to be at least that much a day.

Nobody there seems to have a sense of humor any more.

Tin Man
2011-04-19, 23:40

Matty is unique for sure. Thought he was one of the funniest dudes on wb. Kind of miss him and a few others when humor and frank discussion was allowed.

Weary
2011-04-19, 23:41

I probably make 1-3 posts over there a week. Used to be at least that much a day.

Nor a sense of judgment. We could put WB out of business in a few months with a little less chit chat, and a concerted effort.

As near as I can figure, Alligator essentially runs the site. Though if anything it got worse when ATtroll returned from his thru hike.

Nearly Normal
2011-04-20, 00:44
Fuck yall, Fuck Yall, Fuck yall. I tried fucking with the asshole . He just don't play. He don't get it. I don't thnk he can.........or theres blinders or something. I even tried being stupid ......and that aint hard...even for me.

gungho
2011-04-20, 00:54

Rockhound
2011-04-20, 07:44

How many of those posts get deleted?

Rockhound
2011-04-20, 07:46
. I even tried being stupid ......and that aint hard...even for me.

Sit back and learn from the master. Nobody can be stupider than me.

Rockhound
2011-04-20, 07:49
Nor a sense of judgment. We could put WB out of business in a few months with a little less chit chat, and a concerted effort.

As near as I can figure, Alligator essentially runs the site. Though if anything it got worse when ATtroll returned from his thru hike.

You mean you actually want to discuss water filtration, hiking poles, shelters and bear bagging? OK but Wolf aint gonna like it. Just sayin'

SGT Rock
2011-04-20, 08:13
I mainly just go there for the BMT stuff. ATTroll and I never completely saw eye-to-eye on how we saw the site. It doesn't surprise me that it "got worse" after he got off his hike. A long long time ago what he told me was his vision of WB was more like what I hear Practical Backpacking was like.

I always thought a forum was for the chat between members. When people felt more at home over there and didn't have to worry about everything they said, then there were thousands of posts a day. Sure some were "offensive", many were "off topic", but regulars came there daily to give advice and help people out. All you seem to get these days are a narrow set of opinions from the few people that either have the patients to stick with it and hope it turns around, or actually like the new atmosphere. I will say we did always have a chorus of regular complainers that seemed to think what there is now over there is the way it should be. I'm not on there enough now to know, but I suspect (even saying that) that many of those that carped for more strict control and standards have also stopped going there and posting because they probably find the site too boring and stale. I also venture to say that the people that wanted that strictness and now don't go to that strictly controlled site fail to conceive of the idea that their own complaining and desires are what lead to changing the site to a place that they no longer like.

Personally I wish it would turn around. Believe it or not, Alligator is a really nice guy with a sweet wife and kids. I like him still, despite his being labeled a Nazi. I did try counseling on him against going strict and imposing new rules and policies because you will, in the end, end up like WingFoot and have to basically delete, censor, and ban a bunch of good stuff because you put into place a policy to prevent the "bad". It ends up painting you into a corner as a moderator where you have to be "fair" to the shitbirds by censoring the good folks. It also means, to be that consistent, you have to read a bunch of threads and constantly make those calls. I preferred acting like a normal member as much as possible and only read what interested me and only stepping in if there was a legitimate complaint or if I personally saw something that offended me. I did get some crap for that last part because I tend to have a thick skin in most areas and rarely got offended - that is until I got back from my second tour in Iraq, after that I admit I lost my ability to maintain my composure, the shrinks tell me it is PTSD.

All that said - I don't want to replace WB as the new place. That was a lot of work. I like my new life of limited web stuff, writing a guidebook, doing trail maintenance, and hiking. Moderating a forum as large as WB was, was way more work than I ever expected. And being a "Moderator" as opposed to an "Administrator" is a big difference in my mind.

SGT Rock
2011-04-20, 08:13
Probably the longest post I have made on a board in months.

Sierra Echo
2011-04-20, 08:20

And then you follow it up with your shortest one!

Tin Man
2011-04-20, 08:24

and well said too. i agree with what you said has happened to wb. they want mediocrity, they got it. oops, sorry, they don't get it, my bad.

SGT Rock
2011-04-20, 08:49
Here is a good example for ya:

Name:
Message: Too bad that SGT Rock and Dixi are letting so many people trash talk you on their ebsite
Got Here: A Friend
Date: Apr 17 2011 4:20AM

From Ms Janet's Journal. I think I know who said this too. Anyway...

This person assumes because I allow free speech here that I am somehow dissing Ms Janet. Same person likes to be anonymous with their post and have free reign to say what they want, but doesn't have a clue about what is really going on. Same sort of whiny pussy that would want things edited out on WB to make everyone happy and all, but would get offended if the same actions were applied to them.

And ask Ms Janet some time if she think we are against her and her hike LOL. She knows the real deal. Not like this fuckstick.

Lone Wolf
2011-04-20, 08:51
And ask Ms Janet some time if she think we are against her and her hike LOL. She knows the real deal. Not like this fuckstick.

what hike? she's back in erwin

SGT Rock
2011-04-20, 08:54
Everyone gets zeros.

Gray Blazer
2011-04-20, 08:57
PTSD is no fun. It is a good thing to get help. Beware of group sessions. There's nothing like going to a PTSD group session with a bunch of guys that have it. That could cause PTSD in itself.

Lone Wolf
2011-04-20, 09:12
PTSD is no fun. It is a good thing to get help. Beware of group sessions. There's nothing like going to a PTSD group session with a bunch of guys that have it. That could cause PTSD in itself.

so janet has PTSD from 60 miles of hikin' in a month? damn!

Tin Man
2011-04-20, 09:24
what hike? she's back in erwin

wonder how her donors feel about that?

Rockhound
2011-04-20, 09:31
I'd be happy to moderate the religious and political forums here.

Two Speed
2011-04-20, 09:43
Mmmm, just think of all the money you'll make. Prolly be able to afford to buy socks AND boots at Wal-Mart.

JAK
2011-04-20, 10:06
I've always got what was coming to me, more or less. Surprised Alligator didn't censor me more than he has. Our PMs were always amicable. I've never met anyone on here or there I wouldn't like to meet on the trail some day. The only bad posts that really stick in my memory are my own.

Gray Blazer
2011-04-20, 10:07

It's possible I guess.

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-20, 10:09
Alligator's problem is that he doesn't stop and think before he moderates.

He once tried to moderate me for an inside joke between me and Bulldawg, because he thought I was attacking Bulldawg. It took Bulldawg sending him an email to say that it was a joke and that he knew it was a joke and wasn't an attack on him and he knew it.

Gator's motto - Shoot first, ask questions never.

Gray Blazer
2011-04-20, 10:11
I've always got what was coming to me, more or less. Surprised Alligator didn't censor me more than he has. Our PMs were always amicable. I've never met anyone on here or there I wouldn't like to meet on the trail some day. The only bad posts that really stick in my memory are my own.

Don't be so hard on yourself. I usually don't read posts that are more than 3 lines long.

When Alligator totally deleted me from a Mweinstone thread twice (I thought I didn't hit the submit button the first time so I wrote it again) it was inconceivable to me.

john pickett
2011-04-20, 10:15
"the shrinks tell me it is PTSD."
I hope things are better for you now. FWIW, I never noticed any personality changes; but I have a Really thick skin.

Two Speed
2011-04-20, 10:20
Alligator's problem is that he moderates.There, fixed that for ya.

IMHO the problem is a failure to understand that WB has a large staff of moderators that ought to be allowed to do their job.

Just my $0.02.

Weary
2011-04-20, 11:10
You mean you actually want to discuss water filtration, hiking poles, shelters and bear bagging? OK but Wolf aint gonna like it. Just sayin'
I'm mostly into trail building and maintenance, and preservation of land for trails, though occasionally I promote homemade hiking sticks. I think the shelter era has passed. I like shelters, and usually stay in them. But since everyone now has to carry a personal shelter, maintaining clubs would be wise to stop building them. They don't I suspect, because maintainers just love building them, useful or not.

Every outdoor minded kid dreams of building a shelter in the woods. As an AT maintainer, now as adults they get the chance.

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-20, 12:08
There, fixed that for ya.

IMHO the problem is a failure to understand that WB has a large staff of moderators that ought to be allowed to do their job.

Just my $0.02.

Alligator's problem is that he Uber-moderates.

There, I fixed your fix for me....

Crikey
2011-04-20, 12:22
I set up my account over there in 2003 but lurked around before that. I witnessed a lot of the epic crap that went on (especially remember Rick's "time out"). I still post occasionally, actually just minute ago. But in 8 years I have only totaled about 600 or so.

It's definitely not the same place. Whether or not over moderation is to blame can be debated. My personal opinion is that it's the natural evolution of a discussion board/list serv/forum. I base that on watching what went on with Wingfoot's site. Seems to me that WB has reached a similar state before Dan sold it off.

This site reminds me of the early days of WB, and I wonder in a few years what will we be saying about it?

Two Speed
2011-04-20, 12:55
Alligator's problem is that he Uber-moderates.

There, I fixed your fix for me....My bad.

Now, on to more important things: I like eggs.

JERMM
2011-04-20, 13:06
My bad.

Now, on to more important things: I like eggs.

what no bacon?

Hog On Ice
2011-04-20, 13:13
only salami

JAK
2011-04-20, 13:22
I'm mostly into trail building and maintenance, and preservation of land for trails, though occasionally I promote homemade hiking sticks. I think the shelter era has passed. I like shelters, and usually stay in them. But since everyone now has to carry a personal shelter, maintaining clubs would be wise to stop building them. They don't I suspect, because maintainers just love building them, useful or not.

Every outdoor minded kid dreams of building a shelter in the woods. As an AT maintainer, now as adults they get the chance.I think building shelters, and the occassional bridge, is a nice reward for trail maintainers that spend most of their time fighting against photosynthesis and erosion. I like how they are built on a more human scale, and using natural materials. Something you don't see everyday in places that can be more easily accessed by heavy equipment. I like shelters. In time, they become like woodland shrines of old.

I was in another lifetime one of toil and blood
When blackness was a virtue and the road was full of mud
I came in from the wilderness a creature void of form
"Come in" she said
"I'll give you shelter from the storm".

And if I pass this way again you can rest assured
I'll always do my best for her on that I give my word
In a world of steel-eyed death and men who are fighting to be warm
"Come in" she said

Not a word was spoke between us there was little risk involved
Everything up to that point had been left unresolved
Try imagining a place where it's always safe and warm
"Come in" she said

I was burned out from exhaustion buried in the hail
Poisoned in the bushes and blown out on the trail
Hunted like a crocodile ravaged in the corn
"Come in" she said

Suddenly I turned around and she was standing there
With silver bracelets on her wrists and flowers in her hair
She walked up to me so gracefully and took my crown of thorns
"Come in" she said

Now there's a wall between us something there's been lost
I took too much for granted got my signals crossed
Just to think that it all began on a long-forgotten morn
"Come in" she said

Well the deputy walks on hard nails and the preacher rides a mount
But nothing really matters much it's doom alone that counts
And the one-eyed undertaker he blows a flugelhorn
"Come in" she said

I've heard newborn babies wailing like a mourning dove
And old men with broken teeth stranded without love
Do I understand your question man is it hopeless and forlorn
"Come in" she said

In a little hilltop village they gambled for my clothes
I bargained for salvation and they gave me a lethal dose
I offered up my innocence and got repaid with scorn
"Come in" she said

Well I'm living in a foreign country but I'm bound to cross the line
Beauty walks a razor's edge someday I'll make it mine
If I could only turn back the clock to when God and her were born
"Come in" she said

Two Speed
2011-04-20, 13:28
what no bacon?Nope. Slowly but surely converting to a vegetarian with occasional relapses.
only salamiPretty sure I know where you're going with that and I'm gonna deny that allegation.

BTW, don't you have some pictures to post?

Hikerhead
2011-04-20, 13:36

Every outdoor minded kid dreams of building a shelter in the woods. As an AT maintainer, now as adults they get the chance.

Really? I don't think so.

Weary
2011-04-20, 14:02
Really? I don't think so.
You must not have grown up near any woods.

Hog On Ice
2011-04-20, 14:02
+1 for Two Speed

saimyoji
2011-04-20, 14:12

either you are just antagonizing hh or you are truly ignorant. either way....:bike:

Tin Man
2011-04-20, 14:24
I have found that scouts and scout masters are fascinated by those 3 sided dirty wooden boxes. "oh a shelter, let's stay there." I tell them, "why would you want to stay in a dirty wooden box that has been partied in, puked in, have mice and other varmints running around in, etc?" That's when they go back to setting up their tents.

Building a shelter? Some do in their back yards, but usually bored with such things by 11 or 12.

JAK
2011-04-20, 14:30
???

I don't see how Weary would be wrong in what he said. We all built tree forts and teepees and such. Snow forts in winter. It was a natural thing to do. Am I missing something? You have to have woods, or snow.

Different today though. I don't see so many forts even though we still have woods about. I think it is because kids are kept on a tight leash. I still see snow forts in back yards and front yards, but not so many tree forts and shelters in the woods, except for the odd shanty thrown together by the older drinking age crowd. Not so many 8-14 year olds building forts and shelters as in my day. I know in Weary's day boys of 8-14 were able to venture way off into the woods, and would have naturally taken to all sorts of woodcraft. The scouting movement back then wasn't so much to tech woodcraft, but more a means of harnessing the wild talents and skills already present, in order to direct them towards civil and military ends. Today, scouting is much more challenging, in terms of what you have to work with, and what you can do. It is not so much scouting as, I don't know, herding.

Crikey
2011-04-20, 14:32

I maintain the trail. If I had my way I'd tear all the shelters down.

Tin Man
2011-04-20, 14:34
I maintain the trail. If I had my way I'd tear all the shelters down.

need any help? :D

Skidsteer
2011-04-20, 14:35

He was busy playing with Barbie dolls.

Tin Man
2011-04-20, 14:36
He was busy playing with Barbie dolls.

that would explain the pink blazing . . .

JAK
2011-04-20, 14:48
Alot of the boys in my neighbourhood were partridge hunting on their own before scouting age. I wasn't amongst that crowd unfortunately, but I did woodcraft outside of cubs and scouts than I did in. Cubs and scouts was fun because it was done in larger numbers, but wasn't all that different than what we already were doing on our own. It just organized it, for a change. Now its harder because you have to motivate kids to get outside, and convince parents that rain won't kill them. Hat's off to all those that succeed in doing so, or at least do their best.

We have lots of woods here and its still very hard today. The internet and television and 'organized' sports and activities have become so deeply ingrained in our society, it is very difficult for parents to get kids to get out and do what comes naturally, when most parents and kids do not. Raising a kid ot be outdoorsy today is like trying to raise you kid as a purebred Indian 50 years ago. You can let them drive ATVs and kill themselves, but god forbid if you let them wander off into the woods.

JERMM
2011-04-20, 15:23
wind chill...:afraid:

SGT Rock
2011-04-20, 15:48

"the shrinks tell me it is PTSD."
I hope things are better for you now. FWIW, I never noticed any personality changes; but I have a Really thick skin.

I am "better" but I've been told I will never be the same as I was - that is something that just is. I had to recognize it in myself and decide how I was going to deal with it. I decided that staying out of the moderation business is probably best, so I resigned from WB. At one point back in 2007 I was always mad about things at WB and wanted to give away my half to someone else, that someone was Alligator. He is a smart guy and has a pretty level head - he just sees things different from me.

Probably not. More likely it is from dealing with a bunch of free-loading hippies at her old hostel. :bandit:

Something I found, and a friend who is a psychologist confirmed what I thought, hiking is a good way to relive the anxiety from PTSD. I think that is why you see a lot of cranky old farts that are the lifetime hiking bums.

Jester
2011-04-20, 15:50

Yes and yes.

. . . it is very difficult for parents to get kids to get out and do what comes naturally, when most parents and kids do not. Raising a kid ot be outdoorsy today is like trying to raise you kid as a purebred Indian 50 years ago. You can let them drive ATVs and kill themselves, but god forbid if you let them wander off into the woods.

My mom used to throw me out of the house. It wasn't difficult. She was bigger than me. The problem is that most parents today either don't give a crap about their kids, or they live in the unrealistic fear that someone would want to steal their horrible, horrible children.

And speaking of horrible children: Alligator.

Russell
2011-04-20, 16:00
Something I found, and a friend who is a psychologist confirmed what I thought, hiking is a good way to relive the anxiety from PTSD. I think that is why you see a lot of cranky old farts that are the lifetime hiking bums.

I resemble that remark.

19 years on the trail getting that monkey off my back.

He is still there but I can deal with him when he gets out of hand. I go hide in the woods and beat his ass.

Well I did until I bought this house.

Sierra Echo
2011-04-20, 16:02
Ok here is the question of the day. Who is Alligator?
Here is what I know. He is main moderator of WB, he is a male and has a family (I learned that from this website) and I assume he hikes. But I suppose my question is this. What qualified him over all the moderators for that position? Does any of this make sense? LOL

saimyoji
2011-04-20, 16:06
The problem is that most parents today either don't give a crap about their kids, or they live in the unrealistic fear that someone would want to steal their horrible, horrible children.

as a parent, a little FYI for ya.

http://www.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/PageServlet?LanguageCountry=en_US&PageId=2810#1

the fear is not unrealistic. nor is it unrealistic to take precautions to protect our children. nor is it unrealistic to think that they couldn't be abducted in the woods.

it is unrealistic to force our kids to live sheltered lives and not experience the world. just gotta be as careful as you can.

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-20, 16:07
Troll.

SGT Rock
2011-04-20, 16:17
Alligator is a very smart man and had an uncanny ability to sniff out sock puppets way before we had software stuff to help us track them. He was a moderator on WB for years before he sort of took over the top job. He is also a very nice guy. He is not the demon many people make him out to be.

SGT Rock
2011-04-20, 16:37
I resemble that remark.

19 years on the trail getting that monkey off my back.

He is still there but I can deal with him when he gets out of hand. I go hide in the woods and beat his ass.

Well I did until I bought this house.

You were one of the people I was thinking of when I wrote that.

PTSD isn't just from combat either. I don't pry into people's lives - but there are a few people out there I have talked to I get the feeling they have PTSD and may not know it.

JAK
2011-04-20, 16:46
wind chill...:afraid:lol

If you think that you are a Canadian, then my boy I will show you I am a Canadian too—if they check me from behind I will get up, if they kick and slash I will get up. If we play three against five for fifteen minutes I will get up. I too am a Canadian. They will not take this away from me. Nor, can I see, will they ever take it away from you. At the moment they think we are defeated we will have just begun. I will prove forever my years on the river, on the back rinks, on the buses, on the farm teams. I will prove forever that this is what has shaped me.

- David Adams Richards, "Hockey Dreams: Memories of a Man Who Couldn't Play"

eRBKVeDJtoU

Weary
2011-04-20, 16:51
Ok here is the question of the day. Who is Alligator?
Here is what I know. He is main moderator of WB, he is a male and has a family (I learned that from this website) and I assume he hikes. But I suppose my question is this. What qualified him over all the moderators for that position? Does any of this make sense? LOL
In addition to being a moderator, Alligator is co-admistrator of the site, and according to ATTroll, he is a "very close friend," which probably is why he is the chief moderator.

Alligator also strikes me as someone who gets his kicks from deliberately irritating people, which is probably why he doesn't ban me for life. And no, nothing I've seen Alligator do makes sense. I have no idea how tall he is, but I picture him as someone with the "little man syndrome."

Jester
2011-04-20, 17:17
as a parent, a little FYI for ya.

http://www.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/PageServlet?LanguageCountry=en_US&PageId=2810#1

the fear is not unrealistic. nor is it unrealistic to take precautions to protect our children. nor is it unrealistic to think that they couldn't be abducted in the woods.

it is unrealistic to force our kids to live sheltered lives and not experience the world. just gotta be as careful as you can.

Hey, I get it. And I get that the fear of abduction has little to do with the statistical likelihood and more to do with how horrifying it would be were it to actually happen. But as someone without kids, I'd like to note two things. "Reported missing" doesn't mean "missing." And then there's this (from that link):

115 children were the victims of “stereotypical” kidnapping. (These crimes involve someone the child does not know or someone of slight acquaintance, who holds the child overnight, transports the child 50 miles or more, kills the child, demands ransom, or intends to keep the child permanently.)

So careful, yeah. I get it. But there are almost 63 million kids in this country age 0-14. It's incredibly unlikely that your kid will be kidnapped, and if it does happen, chances are it's a relative doing it.

Trollasaur
2011-04-20, 17:54

Sarge, I too have PTSD, although it isn't war-related. (I won't go into the details here.)

My condition went undiagnosed for awhile and before I knew it, I had social anxiety and agoraphobia that prevented me from leaving my home. I literally locked myself in a room and would not answer phone calls, the doorbell or anything. I could not even take a simple trip to the park to play with the kids.

I've been on a variety of medicines and am now starting to get back to my old self a bit, but the panic attacks, though less frequent, are still totally incapacitating.

I hope you're doing well. Oh and thanks for serving our country. We 'preciate it.

Bearpaw
2011-04-20, 19:09
You were one of the people I was thinking of when I wrote that.

PTSD isn't just from combat either. I don't pry into people's lives - but there are a few people out there I have talked to I get the feeling they have PTSD and may not know it.

Sometimes, we do have our suspicions, but we do a good job of BSing ourselves otherwise. :bandit:

saimyoji
2011-04-20, 21:02
Hey, I get it....

i think we agree on this. but statistics mean jack shit when its your kid. not taking any chances. and i didn't trust my relatives before i had kids, why would i suddenly start now? :afraid:

Hikerhead
2011-04-20, 21:06
In addition to being a moderator, Alligator is co-admistrator of the site, and according to ATTroll, he is a "very close friend," which probably is why he is the chief moderator.

Alligator also strikes me as someone who gets his kicks from deliberately irritating people, which is probably why he doesn't ban me for life. And no, nothing I've seen Alligator do makes sense. I have no idea how tall he is, but I picture him as someone with the "little man syndrome."

Damn, I agree with Weary.

Tin Man
2011-04-20, 21:22

little man syndrome or has no power at work syndrome . . . I have seen that amongst the former leaders of our scout troop

saimyoji
2011-04-20, 21:34
little man syndrome or has no power at work syndrome . . . I have seen that amongst the former leaders of our scout troop

i have my own opinions formed from my experience with gator, but i think Sgt. Rocks statements probably hold a lot of water. I respect Rock's judgment, and based on that am willing to give that fuckin' asshole reptile a chance should i ever meet the douche in person. :aetsch:

in fact, he should come here and post and let us have at him in an area where he cannot hide behind his admin. axe. it would go a long way if he chose to do that. of course, we all know he never would......

......unless he's already here......:ahhhhh:

sheepdog
2011-04-20, 21:37
I sent gator a pm telling him he did a good thing letting rockhound back on wb. that was a stand up thing to do.

Tin Man
2011-04-20, 21:39
i have my own opinions formed from my experience with gator, but i think Sgt. Rocks statements probably hold a lot of water. I respect Rock's judgment, and based on that am willing to give that fuckin' asshole reptile a chance should i ever meet the douche in person. :aetsch:

in fact, he should come here and post and let us have at him in an area where he cannot hide behind his admin. axe. it would go a long way if he chose to do that. of course, we all know he never would......

......unless he's already here......:ahhhhh:

yeah, i am sure sgt rock's impression of the man is straight up, but i'm talking about gator, the overzealous admin. remember, the nice, friendly dude living next door could have a mountain of kiddy porn socked away in his 'puter and no one has a clue that such a nice man is such a sorry ass loser

Kanga
2011-04-20, 21:40
From my experiences gator really is a good guy. I can't explain wth is going on with his Nazi moderation style though.

Tin Man
2011-04-20, 21:40
From my experiences gator really is a good guy. I can't explain wth is going on with his Nazi moderation style though.

xactly

D'Artagnan
2011-04-20, 22:06

If I had to deal with that many assholes in one place every day, I'd probably start clicking my heels once in awhile too. It's got to be maddening.

saimyoji
2011-04-20, 22:08
If I had to deal with that many assholes in one place every day, I'd probably start clicking my heels once in awhile too. It's got to be maddening.

thats why one person ain't supposed to do all the work.....:albertein

Skidsteer
2011-04-20, 22:11

thats why one person ain't supposed to do all the work.....:albertein

Exactly. The trick is to get out early. Term limits, Term limits, Term limits.

Sierra Echo
2011-04-20, 22:11
Thank you Sgt Rock and Weary for the insight into who Alligator is. And Weary, I'm betting your right too with your short man theory. I bet Alligator is a real Shrinkey Dink!

dixicritter
2011-04-20, 22:19

Yes it can be if you let it.

Exactly. The trick is to get out early. Term limits, Term limits, Term limits.

For a site as large as WB is/was I totally agree. 5 years was about 2 or 3 too long. :angel:

GGS2
2011-04-20, 22:29
Rock, Mala, I am pleased to hear you discuss PTSD and the trail. Makes perfect sense to me. You may not agree, but it seems obvious to me that most of the population is suffering a mild case of PTSD called neurosis, and a long walk in the woods is one of the best cures. Neurosis never goes away, if you mean the memories and the experiences, but what can go away are the emotional crises and the meltdowns. All the best to both of you and all your comrades in arms.

Lone Wolf
2011-04-20, 22:52
Sarge, I too have PTSD, although it isn't war-related. (I won't go into the details here.)

My condition went undiagnosed for awhile and before I knew it, I had social anxiety and agoraphobia that prevented me from leaving my home. I literally locked myself in a room and would not answer phone calls, the doorbell or anything. I could not even take a simple trip to the park to play with the kids.

I've been on a variety of medicines and am now starting to get back to my old self a bit, but the panic attacks, though less frequent, are still totally incapacitating.

I hope you're doing well. Oh and thanks for serving our country. We 'preciate it.

oh for fucksakes! you're just bein' a pussy. anxiety this!

Crikey
2011-04-20, 23:37

Toto, I don't think we're in WhiteBlaze anymore.

Lone Wolf
2011-04-20, 23:41
i got your toto hangin'

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-21, 00:00
That'd be a cool name for a band.......Hanging Toto

Trollasaur
2011-04-21, 00:13

Shut up dumbass before you get wound up and have another coronary.Talking all that shit is what got your heart fucked up in the first place. That, and huffing gas. :aetsch:

Hikerhead
2011-04-21, 01:30
i got your toto hangin'

:hammock: Is this guys name Toto? :)

Rockhound
2011-04-21, 08:05
Is this hhq or wb? Hard to tell the difference.
Anyways, speaking of PTSD, I think a few hikers may be suffering from that here at SBF after meeting genuine hillbillies last night.

Roots
2011-04-21, 09:05
Is this hhq or wb? Hard to tell the difference.
Anyways, speaking of PTSD, I think a few hikers may be suffering from that here at SBF after meeting genuine hillbillies last night.

o dear lord...what I would have given to have seen their faces. It's sort of like when Ron (Haven) introduces some of friends at the Bash. :beer:

Hope you guys had a good time!

Crikey
2011-04-21, 09:09
I was referring to the band Toto

Now everyone will have "Roseanna" in their head all day

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-21, 09:24
I'm partial to "Africa"

Skidsteer
2011-04-21, 09:30
OK, y'all can stop now.

Crikey
2011-04-21, 09:41
They didn't have that many good songs so we're ok.

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-21, 09:44
It's not in the way that you hold me
It's not in the way you say you care
It's not in the way you've been treating my friends
It's not in the way that you stayed till the end
It's not in the way you look or the things that you say that you'll do

Hold the line, love isn't always on time, oh oh oh

D'Artagnan
2011-04-21, 09:45
I'm partial to "Africa"

Imagine that...

Gray Blazer
2011-04-21, 09:51
It's not in the way that you hold me
It's not in the way you say you care
It's not in the way you've been treating my friends
It's not in the way that you stayed till the end
It's not in the way you look or the things that you say that you'll do

Why do you sound like Davey Jones?

Crikey
2011-04-21, 09:56
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xo9pi_the-monkees-daydream-believer_music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nViC0K-zifk

Gray Blazer
2011-04-21, 10:03
Why do you sound like Davey Jones?

A little more like Mickey Dolenz.

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-21, 10:08
More like Peter Tork.

Trollasaur
2011-04-21, 11:50
i got your toto hangin'

Only thing you got hanging is a flaccid penis that won't work because it does not get any circulation. Guess your days as the Damascus Chickenhawk are over.

D'Artagnan
2011-04-21, 11:55
Only thing you got hanging is a flaccid penis that won't work because it does not get any circulation. Guess your days as the Damascus Chickenhawk are over.

Great, just what we needed, another asshole with access to a computer and the internet. Welcome to HHQ!

Kanga
2011-04-21, 12:37
Imagine that...

aaahahahahaha!!:beer::beer:

Trollasaur
2011-04-21, 12:46
Great, just what we needed, another asshole with access to a computer and the internet. Welcome to HHQ!

Thanks! Glad to be here with like minded people.

Two Speed
2011-04-21, 12:50
Thanks! Glad to be here with like minded people.Wow! Best response since Pee Wee Herman went off the air!

Rockhound
2011-04-21, 13:03
I guess I can retire now. I'll just have to wait and see if the lizard with an unfortunate name can take it as well as dish it out. Says he's got PTSD. He aint seen nothing yet.

saimyoji
2011-04-21, 13:28
Wow! Best response since Pee Wee Herman went off the air!

actually he's making a come back......

Two Speed
2011-04-21, 13:33
Ayup.

SGT Rock
2011-04-21, 13:52
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xo9pi_the-monkees-daydream-believer_music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nViC0K-zifk

I was driving on the road about a year ago and spinning the radio dial and accidentally got this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB1WfjOjSco

I didn't know who was singing it at first since I got in while the song was already playing. But for a few miles I was in total disbelief that someone would do a cover of the Monkeys so I had to wait until the end to see who was that "special". Then when I heard, I didn't have a clue who Susan Boyle was - I had to google it.

Kanga
2011-04-21, 13:59
that was actually really good!

JAK
2011-04-21, 14:00
We had a scottish oprah singer in our neighbourhood that would sing the names of her kids when it was time to come in. Other folks in the park didn't bother with cowbells or fog horns after that. They would just say, "you come home as soon as Mrs. MacDonald calls for Jamie and Moira".

Skidsteer
2011-04-21, 14:31
Scottish opera singer?

I don't think they exist.

JAK
2011-04-21, 14:44
Sure they do. We're not all olympic sprinters.

Case in point...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIY2IpNTv_A

Kanga
2011-04-21, 14:56
jak, you scare me.

Crikey
2011-04-21, 15:23
"The tears of yesterday don't mean a thing"

In place of

"The shaving razor's cold, and it stings"

With her singing I would have thought the original lyric would apply....
:eviltongu:eviltongu:eviltongu

john pickett
2011-04-21, 17:57
Damn, that woman can bring tears to my eyes. She leaves Lady Gaga in the dust.

General
2011-04-21, 18:39
Thanks! Glad to be here with like minded people.

fuck you dip shit.

Trollasaur
2011-04-21, 19:06
fuck you dip shit.

I love your original and witty sense of humor, General!

Let's get together and hike. PM me! :aetsch:

General
2011-04-21, 19:09
i wouldn't piss in your ear if your brain was on fire. but, we can go hikin' if'n you want. i know just the place.

Trollasaur
2011-04-21, 19:23
i wouldn't piss in your ear if your brain was on fire. but, we can go hikin' if'n you want. i know just the place.

I am glad to know that! I don't want to see hermaphrodite genitalia up close!

General
2011-04-21, 19:37
at least i have balls, nancy boy!

Sierra Echo
2011-04-21, 20:05
Damn! I leave to go take a nap and look what I come back too!

dixicritter
2011-04-21, 20:36
Y'all chill.

enviro
2011-04-21, 21:08
That'd be a cool name for a band.......Hanging Toto

Actually several excellent band names in that short section:

"fucksakes"

or

"Just bein a Pussy"

Lone Wolf
2011-04-21, 21:08

what's a chicken hawk?

Lone Wolf
2011-04-21, 21:11
what's a chicken hawk?

i googled it. i ain't one
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chickenhawk_(politics)

Skidsteer
2011-04-21, 21:21
Actually several excellent band names in that short section:

"fucksakes"

or

"Just bein a Pussy"

Don't forget "piss in your ear".

Wise Old Owl
2011-04-21, 21:27
http://top-10-list.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Foghorn-Leghorn.jpg

sheepdog
2011-04-21, 21:29
http://top-10-list.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Foghorn-Leghorn.jpg

You're doing it all wrong boy!!

Wise Old Owl
2011-04-21, 21:30
damn you are good!

Wise Old Owl
2011-04-21, 21:31
I say I say boy..... ARE YOU LOST?

sheepdog
2011-04-21, 21:32
I loved that cartoon.

I've never heard Nearly Normal's voice but I imagine it like fog horn leg horn.

Skidsteer
2011-04-21, 21:42
I loved that cartoon.

I've never heard Nearly Normal's voice but I imagine it like fog horn leg horn.

Nope, NN sounds a bit like Lt. Dan at a low country boil. With impeccable manners.

Russell
2011-04-21, 21:46
Y'all chill.

Hey newby with the 26 posts, you don't need to come on Dixi's site and be an asshole. Go somewhere else.

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-21, 21:54
I never knew chickenhawks served in the Marines.

"I do not think it means what you think it means. " - Inigo Montoya

Rockhound
2011-04-21, 21:57
Hey newby with the 26 posts, you don't need to come on Dixi's site and be an asshole. Go somewhere else.

No shit. Even I waited until my 30th post before being an asshole.

sheepdog
2011-04-21, 21:57
Nope, NN sounds a bit like Lt. Dan at a low country boil. With impeccable manners.

take care of your feet and don't do nothing that might get you killed

Wise Old Owl
2011-04-21, 22:28
u know you can't post here unless you have a pot belly drawl.

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-21, 22:29
u know you can't post here unless you have a pot belly drawl.

Why do you have to draw little Vietnamese pigs???

ed bell
2011-04-21, 23:02
This week on "How to Win Friends and Influence People".....

Kanga
2011-04-21, 23:15
wait. what did i miss?

JAK
2011-04-22, 01:08
jak, you scare me.
Thanks Kanga. Glad you liked it. :-)

Here's another good one...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzgv2G4f5UU

JAK
2011-04-22, 02:06
Back to Susan Boyle. I remember the first performance, hearing about and watching it on You Tube, and I heard later that she had become a great hit, but I never realized the full story behind the story and her life. This song, and the great musical Les Miserable, will will forever be connected with her name and her life now. I think her final performance, and her tragic loss in the final, where even more beautiful than her first triumphant performance. Her second performance also, so perefectly flawed and genuine. She defies falsehood. She is truly amazing.

I dreamed a dream in time gone by
When hope was high and life worth living
I dreamed that love would never die
I dreamed that God would be forgiving

Then I was young and unafraid
And dreams were made and used and wasted
There was no ransom to be paid
No song unsung, no wine untasted

But the tigers come at night
With their voices soft as thunder
As they turn your hope apart
As they turn your dreams to shame

And still I dream he'd come to me
That we would live the years together
But there are dreams that cannot be
And there are storms we cannot weather

I had a dream my life would be
So different from the hell I'm living
So different now from what it seemed
Now life has killed the dream I dreamed

JAK
2011-04-22, 08:43
I was driving on the road about a year ago and spinning the radio dial and accidentally got this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB1WfjOjSco

I didn't know who was singing it at first since I got in while the song was already playing. But for a few miles I was in total disbelief that someone would do a cover of the Monkeys so I had to wait until the end to see who was that "special". Then when I heard, I didn't have a clue who Susan Boyle was - I had to google it.

A young lady from Springhill Nova Scotia covered that song also, back in the day. I think she also struck a chord with people down your way, perhaps because she was from a mining town that suffered its own fair share of disasters.
PrMCsK8fk9E

Interestingly, I think both Anne Murray and Susan Boyle made their own modifications to the lyrics.
Susan Boyle also slowed the tempo down considerably with great effect.

JAK
2011-04-22, 08:50
mWzYSJ3-Cjw

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springhill_mining_disaster

SPRINGHILL MINE DISASTER

In the town of Springhill, Nova Scotia
Down in the dark of the Cumberland Mine
There's blood on the coal and the miners lie
In the roads that never saw sun nor sky. (x2)

In the town of Springhill, you don't sleep easy
Often the earth will tremble and roar
When the earth is restless, miners die
Bone and blood is the price of coal. (x2)

In the town of Springhill, Nova Scotia
Late in the year of fifty-eight
Day still comes and the sun still shines
(But it's) Dark as the grave in the Cumberland mine. (x2)

Down at the coal face, miners working
Rattle of the belt and the cutter's blade
Rumble of the rock and the walls closed round
(The) Living and the dead men two miles down. (x2)

Twelve men lay two miles from the pitshaft
Twelve men lay in the dark and sang
Long hot days in the miners tomb
(It was) Three feet high and a hundred long. (x2)

Three days past and the lamps gave out
And Caleb Rushton got up and and said
There’s no more water, or light, or bread
(So we'll) Live on song and hope instead. (x2)

Listen for the shouts of the barefaced miners
Listen thru the rubble for a rescue team
Six hundred feet of coal and slag
Hope imprisoned in a three foot seam. (x2)

Eight days passes and some were rescued
Leaving the dead to lie alone
Thru all their lives they dug their grave
Two miles of earth for a marking stone. (x2)

Trollasaur
2011-04-22, 10:29

Who asked you, Santa Claus? You need to go shave that awful looking beard. And while you're at it, you might want to delouse. And don't forget your geritol for prostate health.

And I'm quite sure that Sarge and Dixi can take care of their own site maintenance and put me out of here at their discretion. They probably don't need you as spokesperson.

Now, I'm ready to listen to all of you experienced hikers talk about hiking so that I can learn from you. But if you want to bust chops, then don't cry when someone gives it back.

General
2011-04-22, 10:32
ain't no body cry'n but you.

Trollasaur
2011-04-22, 10:46
ain't no body cry'n but you.

Well, I am upset that you wouldn't do me the honor of pissing in my ear.

General
2011-04-22, 11:02
i'll let my dog piss on you if that would make you feel better.

dixicritter
2011-04-22, 11:07
And I'm quite sure that Sarge and Dixi can take care of their own site maintenance and put me out of here at their discretion. They probably don't need you as spokesperson.

You are correct. We can put you outta here if we so choose.

Now, I'm ready to listen to all of you experienced hikers talk about hiking so that I can learn from you. But if you want to bust chops, then don't cry when someone gives it back.

So far you haven't even posted on any of the hiking related threads. Seems to me like the only reason you came to the site was to see if you could get moderated or banned. If that is your intent then we can most surely oblige you.

This will be the last time I warn you to chill. Thank you in advance for your co-operation.

JAK
2011-04-22, 11:30
Heading out on a Good Friday hike now with my daughter Margaret and her friend Rachel. Really looking forward to it as Margaret is at an age where it is has become very difficult and frustrating to keep her active and outside. We will hike Rockwood Park and look for deer and moose tracks.

Hope everyone has a happy easter weekend.
Here are my crazy Good Friday references now...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"When he sailed into the little harbor the lights of the Terrace were out and he knew everyone was in bed. The breeze had risen steadily and was blowing strongly now. It was quiet in the harbor though and he sailed up onto the little patch of shingle below the rocks. There was no one to help him so he pulled the boat up as far as he could. Then he stepped out and made her fast to a rock.

He unstepped the mast and furled the sail and tied it. Then he shouldered the mast and started to climb. It was then he knew the depth of his tiredness. He stopped for a moment and looked back and saw in the reflection from the street light the great tail of the fish standing up well behind the skiffs stern. He saw the white naked line of his backbone and the dark mass of the head with the projecting bill and all the nakedness between.

He started to climb again and at the top he fell and lay for some time with the mast across his shoulder. He tried to get up. But it was too difficult and he sat there with the mast on his shoulder and looked at the road. A cat passed on the far side going about its business and the old man watched it. Then he just watched the road.

Finally he put the mast down and stood up. He picked the mast up and put it on his shoulder and started up the road. He had to sit down five times before he reached his shack.

Inside the shack he leaned the mast against the wall. In the dark he found a water bottle and took a drink. Then he lay down on the bed. He pulled the blanket over his shoulders and then over his back and legs and he slept face down on the newspapers with his arms out straight and the palms of his hands up."

- Ernest Hemmingway, "Old Man and the Sea"

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Down from the purple mist of trees on the mountain,
lurching through forests of white spruce and cedar,
stumbling through tamarack swamps,
came the bull moose
to be stopped at last by a pole-fenced pasture.

Too tired to turn or, perhaps, aware
there was no place left to go, he stood with the cattle.
They, scenting the musk of death, seeing his great head
like the ritual mask of a blood god, moved to the other end
of the field, and waited.

The neighbours heard of it, and by afternoon
cars lined the road. The children teased him
with alder switches and he gazed at them
like an old, tolerant collie. The woman asked
if he could have escaped from a Fair.

The oldest man in the parish remembered seeing
a gelded moose yoked with an ox for plowing.
The young men snickered and tried to pour beer
down his throat, while their girl friends took their pictures.

And the bull moose let them stroke his tick-ravaged flanks,
let them pry open his jaws with bottles, let a giggling girl
plant a little purple cap
of thistles on his head.

When the wardens came, everyone agreed it was a shame
to shoot anything so shaggy and cuddlesome.
He looked like the kind of pet
women put to bed with their sons.

So they held their fire. But just as the sun dropped in the river
the bull moose gathered his strength
like a scaffolded king, straightened and lifted his horns
so that even the wardens backed away as they raised their rifles.

When he roared, people ran to their cars. All the young men
leaned on their automobile horns as he toppled.

- Alden Nowlan, "The Bull Moose"

atraildreamer
2011-04-22, 12:14
I'm not a prude, but is all the bad language really necessary? :ahhhhh:

People will think that there a lot of :bootyshak in the hiking community.

(OK, I know there are! :bird:)

Rockhound
2011-04-22, 12:17
Who asked you, Santa Claus? You need to go shave that awful looking beard. And while you're at it, you might want to delouse. And don't forget your geritol for prostate health.

There is a fine line between being a lovable asshole and just being miserable P.O.S.
If you want hiking knowledge then ask a hiking related question. There are many people here that have thousands of trail miles under their belt and are more than willing to help.
BTW what is your hiking resume? I suspect you have a lot more miles going from the fridge to the the bathroom and back to the computer screen than you do on any actual trial. Either that or you are just Alligators alter ego. Hmmmm. Imagine that. Normally alter egos are 1 good 1 bad but in this case they are both dicks who apparently have a golden shower fetish.

Rockhound
2011-04-22, 12:22

Don't mind the language. Occasionally there are those that need to be dealt with and that is the only language they understand. Actual threads related to hiking will have little or no naughty words. This thread is just to flush out the idiots. Appears as though we nabbed one by the name of Trollasaur. Punishment will be swift and just.

Gray Blazer
2011-04-22, 12:32

It's mostly a guy thing. Some guys don't think they are manly unless they tell you to F-off.

Spogatz
2011-04-22, 12:40
I believe in Santa Claus....

And now for something completely different..

JAK
2011-04-22, 16:13
I believe in moose.

Day hike in Rockwood Park was awesome. 4 hours. Lots of back trails. Girls had fun running ahead to wait in ambush. They are keen on doing a 20k hike out at Big Salmon River tomorrow. Three 11 year old girls and me. Could be the last one in a while so I don't want to jinx it. I'm just going to shutup and melt into the trail and let them make all the decisions.

Nearly Normal
2011-04-22, 18:25
I believe in moose.

I blieve I'll have another beer!

Sierra Echo
2011-04-22, 18:49
Is making armpit farty noises an exclusive male thing??

cool breeze
2011-04-22, 19:01
No I'm sure you could do it too if you wanted to.

JAK
2011-04-22, 19:18
We had a guy in grade school that could fart to God Save the Queen.
I think he was the reason they took that out of the morning routine.

Ray
2011-04-22, 20:13
I think he was the reason they took that out of the morning routine.Oh, JAK, please.....

Don't stop posting the poetry.

Bearpaw
2011-04-22, 20:25
I think he was the reason they took that out of the morning routine.

Too bad there wasn't easy access video available then. It would be a youtube sensation. :adore:

Tin Man
2011-04-22, 21:08

i failed at that... my friends said i didn't need the assist, so why bother

sheepdog
2011-04-22, 21:44
I believe in moose.

Day hike in Rockwood Park was awesome. 4 hours. Lots of back trails. Girls had fun running ahead to wait in ambush. They are keen on doing a 20k hike out at Big Salmon River tomorrow. Three 11 year old girls and me. Could be the last one in a while so I don't want to jinx it. I'm just going to shutup and melt into the trail and let them make all the decisions.

Apostate

Lone Wolf
2011-04-22, 22:00

ptang farts are cool

Sierra Echo
2011-04-22, 22:16
ptang farts are cool

If a guy could sit there and make ptang farts by himself I would be concerned.

Nearly Normal
2011-04-22, 23:21
That moose call fart is my favorite....if you don't have an accident.

Austin
2011-04-23, 03:37
Too bad there wasn't easy access video available then. It would be a youtube sensation. :adore:

EULh5MA8j2Y

JAK
2011-04-23, 06:57
:captain:
By God that's him!
:adore::congrats::dancing::tee:

Rockhound
2011-04-23, 09:50

It's not exclusively a male thing but it is akin to peeing from a moving vehicle. It takes a special kind of gal to pull it off.

Furlough
2011-04-23, 10:31

I PROUDLY REPRESENT THAT GROUP. Interesting perspective, I know I spent every free weekend and vacation time hiking in and around the SNP my first 2 years back from OIF.

Also, I suppose I may be the ultimate lurker at both sites. I joined WB in March 2004 and have less than 400 posts there. I joined HHQ in Aug 2004 and have less than 20 posts here. I read alot, and in the past as a general rule only posted when I thought I had something worthwhile to add. Lately though, like many others posts, I post just for the hell of it.

Furlough

Bearpaw
2011-04-23, 13:31
I PROUDLY REPRESENT THAT GROUP. Interesting perspective, I know I spent every free weekend and vacation time hiking in and around the SNP my first 2 years back from OIF.

Also, I suppose I may be the ultimate lurker at both sites. I joined WB in March 2004 and have less than 400 posts there. I joined HHQ in Aug 2004 and have less than 20 posts here. I read alot, and in the past as a general rule only posted when I thought I had something worthwhile to add. Lately though, like many others posts, I post just for the hell of it.
Furlough

A lot of that happens around here. Have fun with it. :beer:

Sierra Echo
2011-04-23, 17:55
It's not exclusively a male thing but it is akin to peeing from a moving vehicle. It takes a special kind of gal to pull it off.

No chick can pee from a moving vehicle. And if they can, then I want to see it!

Skidsteer
2011-04-23, 19:44
No chick can pee from a moving vehicle. And if they can, then I want to see it!

Seen it at least a dozen times and I'm a young man.

JAK
2011-04-23, 20:47
OK, wrong thread for my trip report.

ed bell
2011-04-23, 20:48
OK, wrong thread for my trip report.

Unless it involves getting pissed on by a female out of a moving vehicle....

Sierra Echo
2011-04-23, 20:50
Seen it at least a dozen times and I'm a young man.

I guess I'm just not talented.

Skidsteer
2011-04-23, 20:51
I guess I'm just not talented.

You've just never had to go bad enough.

Sierra Echo
2011-04-23, 20:53
You've just never had to go bad enough.

I would pee in someones yard before I did that.

ed bell
2011-04-23, 20:56

JAK
2011-04-23, 21:10
Heading out on a Good Friday hike now with my daughter Margaret and her friend Rachel. Really looking forward to it as Margaret is at an age where it is has become very difficult and frustrating to keep her active and outside. We will hike Rockwood Park and look for deer and moose tracks.The girls had a great hike on the Fundy Trail. 12km. I pretended I wasn't there. The hiked to the Falls on the East Branch Fuller Brook, and then back to Melvin Beach for lunch. Oatmeal, Noodles, Hot and Cold Lemonaid. Kelly Kettle. Then they had some fun crossing back and forth in the ice cold West Branch Fuller Brook and my Margaret fell in. Hiked up the trail to Bradshaw lookout and we made some hiking sticks, then back to the car and beat the rain. Had a nice supper in St. Martins looking out at the whitecaps on the Bay of Fundy. Another day to remember. There will only be so many.

JAK
2011-04-23, 21:11
The drive back to Saint John was uneventful.

JAK
2011-04-23, 21:30
Ham or Turkey / Sunday or Monday?
Ham here, Sunday.

sheepdog
2011-04-23, 21:51
gonna smoke a ham

Tin Man
2011-04-23, 22:18
gonna smoke a ham

i'm gonna mooch off family, whatever they is serving will be fine, i'm sure... i suspect spiral ham which i turned them onto years ago

Rockhound
2011-04-24, 07:47
I'm having a cold can of Spaghettios and a crust of stale bread.

sheepdog
2011-04-24, 14:44
I'm having a cold can of Spaghettios and a crust of stale bread.

come on over, we'll feed ya

Sierra Echo
2011-04-24, 14:50
I just ate a burrito from Moes. I was invited to go eat Italian with one group of folks and Mexican with another group. But as I have a very upset tummy neither of those options sounded safe. :shot:

Bearpaw
2011-04-24, 16:03
Sleeps With Skunks got inspired and she is creating a feast. It's rare that she cooks much, but she is going all out for easter.

Bearpaw
2011-04-24, 17:58
Sleeps With Skunks got inspired and she is creating a feast. It's rare that she cooks much, but she is going all out for easter.

It was just plain awesome! I'm stuffed and there's leftovers aplenty.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/misc/095.jpg

Ray
2011-04-24, 19:18
Oh, man. Is that green bean casserole made with cream of mushroom soup and canned french fried onions?

My favorite. Seriously. My mom didn't make it but one of my aunts did and when I was in my early teens I could not wait for family reunion dinners. I used to wait 'till everyone passed through the line, they had their chance, then I'd go back for seconds and scoop up a bowlful just for myself. That and some yeast dinner rolls sunk alongside and a tall Dixie cup of sweet iced tea ... yeah, it still takes me back.

For years I thought it was her own special secret recipe.

Actually it was. Years later she told me she added Tobasco, a diced red pepper and garlic powder to the soup. It's one of those things I should make more.

Sierra Echo
2011-04-24, 19:21
Those bears have more clothes then I do!

Bearpaw
2011-04-24, 20:12
Oh, man. Is that green bean casserole made with cream of mushroom soup and canned french fried onions?

My favorite. Seriously. My mom didn't make it but one of my aunts did and when I was in my early teens I could not wait for family reunion dinners. I used to wait 'till everyone passed through the line, they had their chance, then I'd go back for seconds and scoop up a bowlful just for myself. That and some yeast dinner rolls sunk alongside and a tall Dixie cup of sweet iced tea ... yeah, it still takes me back.

For years I thought it was her own special secret recipe.

Actually it was. Years later she told me she added Tobasco, a diced red pepper and garlic powder to the soup. It's one of those things I should make more.

Yep, it sure is. I'm not much of a fan of green beans, but I LOVE French's Onion green bean casserole. You know it's a holiday then.

Bearpaw
2011-04-24, 20:15

You're not kidding. We started buying this and that for Dewey back when we began hiking with him in 2006. Then relatives started buying stuff for them. We now have three full size shelves of a large plastic cabinet set. I mean a LOT of different outfits for a handful of teddy bears.

Tin Man
2011-04-24, 20:35
Yep, it sure is. I'm not much of a fan of green beans, but I LOVE French's Onion green bean casserole. You know it's a holiday then.

Damn. I haven't had that in many years.... luv it.

Sierra Echo
2011-04-24, 21:05
Let's all go to Bearpaw's house for dinner!

Ray
2011-04-24, 21:32
I LOVE French's Onion green bean casserole. You know it's a holiday then. My aunt who made it for holidays, not Ron's Aunt Lizzie, worked while Mom & her other sister didn't. So the working aunt had all kindsa cool stuff to eat like frozen yeast dinner rolls and green bean casseroles and sometimes she let her kids, my cousins, even have frozen TV dinners with Salisbury steaks and Jello pudding pies for desert. I was so jealous. I just loved spending a weekend at their house.

Mom was the oldest daughter and spent more time on the farm and she only served lard & buttermilk biscuits. It wasn't until I was in high school, late '70's?, that she started making sourdough bread. So yeast rolls were like manna from heaven to me when I was in elementary / junior high.

Meanwhile Paula Dean's a multi-millionaire from cooking the same stuff momma made every day. And, bless her heart, I believe Paula deserves every penny.

JAK
2011-04-25, 03:51
It was just plain awesome! I'm stuffed and there's leftovers aplenty.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/misc/095.jpg
Food looks awesome. You all look stuffed. Bet it was 'just right'.

We had lots of fun and excitement. Electrical fire at by brother-in-laws stove so we moved all the food and people over to our place at the last minute. 35 people in all, including the little bears. Fortunately the ham was already out of the oven, and it was awesome.

Rockhound
2011-04-25, 07:59

Now you're just teasing us.

Sierra Echo
2011-04-25, 08:01
Now you're just teasing us.

Then you are easily teased!

Gray Blazer
2011-04-25, 08:07
Then you are easily teased!

Me Too! I like being teased.

Big Mac
2011-04-25, 12:49
gonna smoke a ham

I hear they are hard to keep lit.

Hog On Ice
2011-04-25, 12:50
a little bit of direct oxygen works wonders

sheepdog
2011-04-25, 12:50
I hear they are hard to keep lit.

hoosier :aetsch:

Big Mac
2011-04-25, 12:52
hoosier :aetsch:

Michi-gander :bootyshak

Tin Man
2011-04-25, 13:43
a little bit of direct oxygen works wonders

what do you do for the wind chill? :afraid:

Bearpaw
2011-04-25, 18:05
Food looks awesome. You all look stuffed. Bet it was 'just right'.

We had lots of fun and excitement. Electrical fire at by brother-in-laws stove so we moved all the food and people over to our place at the last minute. 35 people in all, including the little bears. Fortunately the ham was already out of the oven, and it was awesome.

35 people? How was it having a whole football team over?

Ray
2011-04-26, 10:13
35 people? How was it having a whole football team over?Back around '08, '09 or so, 35 Canadians was only about 28 Americans.

Gray Blazer
2011-04-26, 10:39
Canadiens are americans. So are Mexicans and Peruvians. I'm not sure about Massawholes, but I think they are too.

Jester
2011-04-26, 11:44
Canadiens are americans. So are Mexicans and Peruvians. I'm not sure about Massawholes, but I think they are too.

Most of us are Earthlings, too.

Gray Blazer
2011-04-26, 12:33
How can you tell?

Kanga
2011-04-26, 15:52
Most of us are Earthlings, too.

hahaha! we have got you sooooo fooled!:beer:

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-26, 15:58
http://www.futureshipwreck.com/pics/they-live3.jpg

JAK
2011-04-26, 16:01
The 35 number factored in wind chill, of course.

Ray
2011-04-26, 21:24

Mexico's too hot
And Canada's too cold
South America stole our name
Let's drop The Big One
There'll be no one left to blame us.

Sierra Echo
2011-04-26, 21:24
New Hiker Pick up Line:

"Hey Baby, want me to check you for ticks?"

Ray
2011-04-26, 21:29
New Hiker Pick up Line:

"Hey Baby, want me to check you for ticks?"There's already a country-western song about that.

No, seriously. There really is a country-western song about that.

Sierra Echo
2011-04-26, 21:34
There's already a country-western song about that.

No, seriously. There really is a country-western song about that.

Noooooooooo! I refuse to believe this@!

Kanga
2011-04-26, 21:35
and it's not new in the hiker world. i can't tell you how many times i've heard that.

sheepdog
2011-04-26, 21:37
http://youtu.be/LxgAVB2IMpM
LxgAVB2IMpM

Furlough
2011-04-26, 21:39

Brad Paisley - Ticks Lyrics

Every time you take a sip
In this smokey atmosphere
You press that bottle to your lips
And I wish I was your beer
And in the small there of your back
Your jeans are playin' peek-a-boo
I'd like to see the other half
of your butterfly tattoo

Hey that gives me an idea
lets get out of this bar
Drive out into the country
And find a place to park

CHORUS
Cause I'd like to see you out in the moonlight
I'd like to kiss you way back in the sticks
I'd like to walk through a field of wildflowers
And I'd like to check you for ticks

I know the perfect little path
Out in these woods I used to hunt
Don't worry babe I've got your back
And I've also got your front
I'd hate to waste a night like this
I'll keep you safe you wait and see
The only thing allowed to crawl all over you
When we get there is me

You know every guy in here tonight
Would like to take you home
But I got way more class than them
Babe that ain't what I want

CHORUS
Cause I'd like to see you out in the moonlight
I'd like to kiss you way back in the sticks
I'd like to walk you through a field of wildflowers

Now ooohhh you never know where one might be
And ooohhh there's lots of places that are hard to reach

CHORUS
I'd like to see you out in the moonlight
I'd like to kiss you baby way back in the sticks
I'd like to walk you through a field of wildflowers

Oh I'd sure like to check you for ticks

Come on!

Sierra Echo
2011-04-26, 21:51
I'm so bummed now! :bawling:

Tin Man
2011-04-26, 22:24

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCN6em6ayLcerDzQpxxO_g37hO6zw4Z 2e0fveKuV5c1wDNxIhi

JAK
2011-04-26, 22:25
XdzP0rwXdm8

To A Louse.
On seeing one on a lady's bonnet at church.

Ha! Whare ye gaun, ye crowlin ferlie?
Your impudence protects you sairly,
I canna say but ye strut rarely
Owre gauze and lace,
Tho' faith! I fear ye dine but sparely
On sic a place.

Ye ugly, creepin, blastit wonner,
Detested, shunn'd by saunt an' sinner,
How daur ye set your fit upon her --
Sae fine a lady!
Gae somewhere else and seek your dinner
On some poor body.

Swith! in some beggar's hauffet squattle:
There you may creep, and sprawl, and spr
Wi' ither kindred, jumping cattle,
In shoals and nations;
Whare horn nor bane ne'er daur unsettle
Your thick plantations.

Now haud you there! ye're out o' sight,
Below the fatt'rils, snug an' tight;
Na, faith ye yet! ye'll no be right,
Till ye've got on it ---
The vera tapmost, tow'ring height
O' miss's bonnet.

My sooth! right bauld ye set your nose ou
As plump an' grey as onie grozet:
O for some rank, mercurial rozet,
Or fell, red smeddum,
I'd gie ye sic a hearty dose o't,
Wad dress your droddum!

I wad na been surpris'd to spy
You on an auld wife's flainen toy:
Or aiblins some bit duddie boy,
On's wyliecoat;
But Miss's fine Lunardi! fye!
How daur ye do't.

O Jenny, dinna toss your head,
An' set your beauties a' abread!
You little ken what cursed speed
The blastie's makin!
Thae winks an' finger-ends, I dread,
Are notice takin'!

O wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!
It wad frae monie a blunder free us,
An' foolish notion:
What airs in dress an' gait wad lea'e us,
An' ev'n devotion!

Sierra Echo
2011-04-26, 22:29
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCN6em6ayLcerDzQpxxO_g37hO6zw4Z 2e0fveKuV5c1wDNxIhi

That just about covers it. And I do have redhair. My makeup however looks better then that!

Tin Man
2011-04-26, 22:49
That just about covers it. And I do have redhair. My makeup however looks better then that!

how many piercings and tats?

Sierra Echo
2011-04-26, 22:55
how many piercings and tats?

what makes ya think I have any?

Tin Man
2011-04-26, 23:29
what makes ya think I have any?

just a wag

Sierra Echo
2011-04-26, 23:36
just a wag

I have 4 piercings and 6 tattoos. Soon to be 7.

Tin Man
2011-04-26, 23:39
I have 4 piercings and 6 tattoos. Soon to be 7.

theme?

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-26, 23:41
What is this? Twenty Questions???

Sierra Echo
2011-04-26, 23:42
theme?

Not particuarly.

Tin Man
2011-04-26, 23:50
What is this? Twenty Questions???

two... silly monkey... unless you have some?

Gray Blazer
2011-04-26, 23:51
I'm a freak. I don't have any tatoos or piercings.

Tin Man
2011-04-26, 23:55

no... you are a freak :bootyshak

Sierra Echo
2011-04-26, 23:55

Come hang out with me one day. I will get a tat slapped on ya!

Nearly Normal
2011-04-27, 00:00
well.....if it's in the right place I'm up for it.
tat slapped....I like it!

Gray Blazer
2011-04-27, 00:01
Would that be a good thing? I don't know. You've been hanging out with Kanga and Gungho.

Sierra Echo
2011-04-27, 00:06
I don't know if Kanga or Gungho even has any tattoos.
Getting inked is a profound experience. You will learn a lot about yourself.

Gray Blazer
2011-04-27, 00:18
At my age, getting up every day is a profound experience. Couldn't I start out with one of those stick on tatoos?

Gray Blazer
2011-04-27, 00:19
Al my skin and fat is hanging down already it wouldn't look good unless it was of a fat miami ass.

Jester
2011-04-27, 01:07
I don't know if Kanga or Gungho even has any tattoos.

I'm guessing that I, and the rest of the suburban population near Philadelphia, would learn just how loud I can scream.

Hog On Ice
2011-04-27, 07:48
so Jester - thinking about getting a Prince Albert?

Lone Wolf
2011-04-27, 08:00

you learn not to get so fucked up and succumb to peer pressure. tatoos are trashy

Sierra Echo
2011-04-27, 08:11
you learn not to get so fucked up and succumb to peer pressure. tatoos are trashy

I dont get "Fucked up and succumb to peer pressure". If you don't like them then don't get any. My tattoos are for me and are none of your business.

JAK
2011-04-27, 08:26
Peer pressure can indeed be a terrible thing. The best cure, as many of you know, is to go off into the woods to hike alone, build and test stoves, or work on a research thesis for 10 years. Nothing beats solitary confinement in the woods though. See here, as Ranger Gord holds up to cross examination. The subject of frost-bite was not breached, but still, we could all learn something from Ranger Gord.

hVw7XECH5eM
(No trees were harmed in the making of this video).

Lone Wolf
2011-04-27, 08:50
I dont get "Fucked up and succumb to peer pressure". If you don't like them then don't get any. My tattoos are for me and are none of your business.

i don't like tattoos. i don't have any. i never said anything about your tattoos. lighten up honey :beer:

Russell
2011-04-27, 08:53
No tattoos or piercings for me; I don't believe in self mutilation.

Tin Man
2011-04-27, 08:57
i just got one...

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLCmx5Bw7YPhZ5ONtczUH_OMNvXdE-pCUQHoMQFxGNZi_KRGZCBw

Lone Wolf
2011-04-27, 08:58
No tattoos or piercings for me; I don't believe in self mutilation.

expensive too

Gray Blazer
2011-04-27, 09:02
I designed a tatoo for someone who's now sporting it in prison. Do I get some street cred for that?

Tin Man
2011-04-27, 09:12
I designed a tatoo for someone who's now sporting it in prison. Do I get some street cred for that?

um, no...

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTxOKQMfpPnw7Lki8C5wR99tzVt-d-tfoKk-2nsinhPfTsltu7U

JAK
2011-04-27, 09:14
Tatoos and piercings are NOT for pussies.