PDA

View Full Version : Finally, someone capable of doing what they plan.

Jester
2011-04-23, 01:24
http://www.adventureworldmagazine.com/news/content.aspx?id=130

People saying they will hike four trails in one season, people saying they will set a speed record, people saying they will yo-yo the big three in three seasons. People saying not that they hope to accomplish these things, but that they will. Without any prior experience on a long distance trail.

Here's to Jennifer and Nature Boy (who has his own different attempt going). There are no guarantees in this sort of thing, but at least they've got a decent shot.

'Cause enthusiasm is great, and having a dream is wonderful, but experience does count.

I'm not into the whole speed thing myself, but I wish Jennifer (and Nature Boy) well.

JAK
2011-04-23, 07:00
... don't leave out the guy that can fart to God Save the Queen. :adore:

Tin Man
2011-04-23, 07:01
Interesting team Jennifer has helping her: David Horton, Warren Doyle and her husband.

Weary
2011-04-23, 10:50
http://www.adventureworldmagazine.com/news/content.aspx?id=130

.....Here's to Jennifer and Nature Boy (who has his own different attempt going). There are no guarantees in this sort of thing, but at least they've got a decent shot.
It doesn't sound like fun to me. 47 mpd, for a month and a a half. But to each his own. The guy who set the existing record once confessed to still having nightmares years later. Is there such a thing as self imposed post traumatic stress disease?

Bearpaw
2011-04-23, 13:26
Jen has a remarkable support team. I suspect they may actually backpack in her gear so she can sleep in the backcountry at times to extend how far she can go each day. Seems that was a part of what put Karl Metzger (sp) behind, having his daily mileage limited by road crossings.

Good luck to Nature Boy. Beating Leonard's 60-day unsupported record will be a real feat if he can pull it off.

To an extent, I have to agree with Weary. It sounds pretty brutal. But I have to admire the spirit of someone attempting this when they truly understand the difficulty of what they are getting into.

Tin Man
2011-04-23, 13:54
I can't imagine the pain they will be in during their hike. Given both of their backgrounds, I would think only injury stands in their way of making a top 1-3 effort.

The long term affects of being an uber hiker/runner is not clear. I can tell you my dad, who ran 2 miles a day, 5 days a week, for 40 years is pretty much immobile today at 77. It started with bone spurs on his feet, he has chronic issues with a groin muscle, two vertebrae are rubbing causing pain and he gets a shot every 3-6 months to dull the pain, and now he is currently recovering from arthroscopic surgery on one knee. His mind is still sharp, but to watch him move around in slow motion is difficult to watch. And he loves to be on the go, so I think he is major bored and a little depressed.

Weary
2011-04-23, 16:50
I can't imagine the pain they will be in during their hike. Given both of their backgrounds, I would think only injury stands in their way of making a top 1-3 effort.

The long term affects of being an uber hiker/runner is not clear. I can tell you my dad, who ran 2 miles a day, 5 days a week, for 40 years is pretty much immobile today at 77. It started with bone spurs on his feet, he has chronic issues with a groin muscle, two vertebrae are rubbing causing pain and he gets a shot every 3-6 months to dull the pain, and now he is currently recovering from arthroscopic surgery on one knee. His mind is still sharp, but to watch him move around in slow motion is difficult to watch. And he loves to be on the go, so I think he is major bored and a little depressed.
I've never been an athlete, not in high school, not now. But I've always been reasonably active, though never very fast. I attend my 65th high school graduation class reunion in a few weeks. From the emails from classmates complaining, I suspect I'll be the most mobile person there.

Not that I'm in perfect health. I have a fake heart valve, a pacemaker, a partial plate, and a newly missing spleen. I'm ashamed of all that I've cost medicare over the past decade. It would have kept dozens of kids alive and healthy.

But I try to be useful in return. I've got a busy trail work season coming up on the thousand acres that our town land trust is responsible for maintaining. However, I'm committed to climbing Doubletop first. It's about the only peak in Baxter Park that I've never climbed.

Tin Man
2011-04-23, 19:30
Weary, I was talking about running, specifically road running. Pounding the pavement on a regular basis is very hard on the muscular-skeletal infrastructure. I suppose some can tolerate it more than others, but I am sad to see the long-tern effect it has had on my dad. Sure, he is very heart healthy, but walking up and down stairs is painful and forget walking for any length of time.

Weary
2011-04-23, 19:59
Weary, I was talking about running, specifically road running. Pounding the pavement on a regular basis is very hard on the muscular-skeletal infrastructure. I suppose some can tolerate it more than others, but I am sad to see the long-tern effect it has had on my dad. Sure, he is very heart healthy, but walking up and down stairs is painful and forget walking for any length of time.
All I'm suggesting is that the human body has evolved over the millennia so that humans have been able to prosper. It's my guess that extreme athletic activity often causes problems. While more moderate effort -- the kind that made finding food easier -- is something that the human body can do well without long term harm.

But I am not an expert. Just expressing what seems to me to be a plausible opinion.

Tin Man
2011-04-23, 20:18
All I'm suggesting is that the human body has evolved over the millennia so that humans have been able to prosper. It's my guess that extreme athletic activity often causes problems. While more moderate effort -- the kind that made finding food easier -- is something that the human body can do well without long term harm.

But I am not an expert. Just expressing what seems to me to be a plausible opinion.

agreed

JAK
2011-04-23, 20:44
867-5309

Crikey
2011-04-25, 09:21
I'm always amazed at people who can do these things.

I'm 47, in good shape. I run a fairly hilly trail 6 miles at least five or six days a week. I have the usual aches an pains that come along with that.

This weekend my wife and I did the Mt. Mitchell trail. This is a 5.6 mile trail that goes from the South Toe river at 3k to the top of Mitchell at 6684. Counting the spur trail at Higgins Bald, it's about 12 miles total (backtracking to the parking area).

My hip is killing me and I only had a day pack on. I did a thru hike in 1983 with the heavy gear of that day and I don't recall ever being this sore.

I get that age does a thing on you but I'd have a hard time putting myself through that every day just for a record.

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-25, 09:23
I don't run.

If you ever see me running, don't stop me and ask questions.....just get behind me, because something's coming, and it's pissed.

Russell
2011-04-25, 09:26
I don't run.

If you ever see me running, don't stop me and ask questions.....just get behind me, because something's coming, and it's pissed.

Behind you......I will be ahead of you!:biggrin:

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-25, 09:29
Behind you......I will be ahead of you!:biggrin:

Nah. I would have pushed you down as a sacrifice by then.........:aetsch:

Kanga
2011-04-25, 10:01
I don't run.

like a badger.

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-25, 10:05
Squirrel

Kanga
2011-04-25, 10:07
badger.

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-25, 10:11
Badger squirrel.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4049/4719111428_d105cd23ae.jpg

Weary
2011-04-25, 11:05
Speaking of records. The new fad in Yosemite according to the latest issue of National Geographic (on news stands today) is to do the classic technical climbs without protection.

Huffington Post has a story this morning and a great photo:

http://news.travel.aol.com/2011/04/24/jimmy-chin-yosemite-national-geographic/

D'Artagnan
2011-04-25, 11:38
speaking of records. The new fad in yosemite according to the latest issue of national geographic (on news stands today) is to do the classic technical climbs without protection.

Huffington post has a story this morning and a great photo:

http://news.travel.aol.com/2011/04/24/jimmy-chin-yosemite-national-geographic/

yikes!

Skidsteer
2011-04-25, 12:07
That's an object lesson in natural selection just waiting to happen.

Big Mac
2011-04-25, 12:31
[QUOTE=Weary;231726]Speaking of records. The new fad in Yosemite according to the latest issue of National Geographic (on news stands today) is to do the classic technical climbs without protection.

QUOTE]

I try to do everything WITH protection. Just sayin' . . .

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-25, 12:35
http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/crank_yankers_retard.jpg

Roots
2011-04-25, 13:20
I have the most respect and admiration for Jennifer. She is amazing! I know she can do it! Her support team is amazing, as well. I can't wait for her to start!

Roots
2011-04-25, 13:21
I don't run.

OMG...lmao...that is funny stuff right there! :beer:

Kanga
2011-04-25, 14:12
http://cdn1.knowyourmeme.com/i/8790/original/badger-badger-squirrel-27940-1250298986-8.jpg?1250308666

Kanga
2011-04-25, 14:14
http://c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000nw2oHXbd50Y/s/600/MK46.jpg

john pickett
2011-04-26, 10:39
"The new fad in Yosemite according to the latest issue of National Geographic " is competition for a Darwin Award.

john pickett
2011-04-26, 10:41
Those people aren't old enough to see what happens at the end of a long fall.
"It ain't the fall what killed him, it was the stop at the end."