PDA

View Full Version : HHQs own trail magic thread

Rockhound
2011-04-23, 15:44
There's been a lot of talk on the interwebs recently about trail magic. Well I have some thoughts.
This morning some folks decided to set up some "trail magic" near the I-40 underpass. Not a good location if you ask me. Listening to semis barreling down the highway right above you just does not capture the essence of the trail for me regardless of free coffee, candy bars etc...but to each their own right? What if these same "trail angels" were not just passing out food but also telling hikers that the hostel one mile north, Standing Bear Farm, was closed? When I walked down there today to question them about this their response was "we didn't know. We thought Standing Bear was closed this year."
1) they were lying.
2) even if they weren't, how hard would it be to pick up the phone and confirm this disinformation?
3) all this "trail magic" is diluting the experience of the trail
4) Lying about hostels can hurt not only the hostel in question but also the hikers that were planning on going there.
5) This type of "magic" is self serving. People just wanting praise and appreciation from people doing what they are unable or no longer able to do.
6) There are much better ways one can support the trail
7) I used to feel differently. As a hiker free food is great whenever you find it. Well not anymore. occasionally it's wonderful to happen across but if it's going to be at every other road crossing from Springer to Damascus I say keep your damn Snickers bar and allow me the peace and serenity I am seeking on the trail without laying some guilt trip on me because I don't drop to my knees and worship you like gods just because you happen to force food upon me that I really don't want or need.

Rockhound
2011-04-23, 15:46
I am off the trail right now. When I am hiking again everything I just said will no longer apply.

Tin Man
2011-04-23, 15:54
I am off the trail right now. When I am hiking again everything I just said will no longer apply.

hahahahaha... trail magic waiting for ya in CT, but only if we set it up, i don't do roadside ego crap

dixicritter
2011-04-23, 18:18
I actually prefer to help out a hiker who is trying to hitch a ride, if I come across one. We've given free rides to several hikers over the years who we just happened upon.

Rockhound
2011-04-23, 18:23
I actually prefer to help out a hiker who is trying to hitch a ride, if I come across one. We've given free rides to several hikers over the years who we just happened upon.

Serendipitous. What trail magic should be. Unexpected and not preplanned.

Tin Man
2011-04-23, 18:24

me too

Russell
2011-04-23, 19:06
Here's my answer to trail magic.

Lone Wolf
2011-04-23, 21:34
Here's my answer to trail magic.

'bout fuckin' time. half thought about goin' to browns gap this weekend but had a second thought. why go help to feed fuckers on a vacation ribeyes and stuff? an absolute waste of time

Skidsteer
2011-04-23, 21:35
'bout fuckin' time. half thought about goin' to browns gap this weekend but had a second thought. why go help to feed fuckers on a vacation ribeyes and stuff? an absolute waste of time

Hanging out with Fred would've been worth it. Other than that, I agree.

Tin Man
2011-04-23, 21:36

just go, cook for all to see, but don't share with any thru-hikers. :beer:

Lone Wolf
2011-04-23, 21:43
just go, cook for all to see, but don't share with any thru-hikers. :beer:

me and pirate did that once in georgia. when a hiker arrived at the road crossing we asked he/she if they were thru-hiking, if they said yes then we informed them that the burgers and stuff we were cooking and the beers in the cooler were for section hikers since thru-hikers had plenty of food and cash

ed bell
2011-04-23, 21:43

Here's a thought...Bizzaro Trail Magic...How about a bunch of these vacation hikers fund and put on a feed at an accessible spot and cater to all of us that can't take a six month sabbatical on life...You know, they provide beer and food money, us poor saps will go fetch the beer and grub, return and then they do kitchen duty...etc.

Sounds like the way it should actually be....

Tin Man
2011-04-23, 21:46
me and pirate did that once in georgia. when a hiker arrived at the road crossing we asked he/she if they were thru-hiking, if they said yes then we informed them that the burgers and stuff we were cooking and the beers in the cooler were for section hikers since thru-hikers had plenty of food and cash

hahaha bet they loved to hear that

Rockhound
2011-04-23, 21:49
Just found out the "trail magic" providers today were Baptists. Nothing wrong with that but trail magic with an agenda is no trail magic at all. I have to wonder about them lying about SBF being closed. Probably cuz' there's nothing but hedonists, pagans and heathens here and they felt that steering lost souls away from here would be for the greater good. Oh well good to have a quiet night.

Check that. Bushwacker just showed up.

Ray
2011-04-23, 21:54
me and pirate did that once in georgia. when a hiker arrived at the road crossing we asked he/she if they were thru-hiking, if they said yes then we informed them that the burgers and stuff we were cooking and the beers in the cooler were for section hikers since thru-hikers had plenty of food and cashBut something like, what?, 80, 90, 95% of "thru-hikers" in Georgia turn out to be section hikers anyway. Don't they?

Lone Wolf
2011-04-23, 22:02
But something like, what?, 80, 90, 95% of "thru-hikers" in Georgia turn out to be section hikers anyway. Don't they?

well yes. miss janet comes to mind

dixicritter
2011-04-23, 22:34
I thought most all hikers were out there on a vacation. Silly me.

Hog On Ice
2011-04-23, 22:36
vacation implies that the hiker will eventually go back to work - definitely not true for some of us

dixicritter
2011-04-23, 22:37
vacation implies that the hiker will eventually go back to work - definitely not true for some of us

LOL... that's why I said most. :wink:

Skidsteer
2011-04-23, 22:50

One of these days...one of these days...

ed bell
2011-04-23, 23:04
vacation implies that the hiker will eventually go back to work - definitely not true for some of usI hope to be one of those SOB's one day...hopefully without an overwhelming sense of dread at the prospect of living off Social Security.....but then the hiking lifestyle can be done on the cheap, right? Especially if the Trail Magic comes through....:beer:

sheepdog
2011-04-23, 23:08
I tried but

I just ended up back in jail. :albertein

Weary
2011-04-23, 23:15
Well, I always go back to work. It's just that I don't get paid for work any more.

Bearpaw
2011-04-24, 11:20
Has trail magic really been that common this year? I know I'm a dinosaur since I thru-hiked 12 years ago, but I encountered a total of two feeds, one at Dicks Creek Gap and just north of Shenandoah National Park. I happened onto one cooler near Catawba, Virginia. All were unexpected and a nice change of pace.

Maybe it has increased as much as folks say. Whenever my wife and I head into Franklin, NC, we always look to see if anyone needs a ride at Winding Stair Gap. In March, when I was heading to the Bartram Trail, there was a group doing a feed there, something I have never seen before. There were several hikers there, but we chose to head on rather than see if any one needed a ride. I figured the folks doing the feed could give them a ride.

Rockhound
2011-04-24, 13:26
They've been running pretty regular at Davenport Gap and at I-40

Lugnut
2011-04-24, 13:28
They've been running pretty regular at Davenport Gap and at I-40

Seems redundant.

Rockhound
2011-04-24, 13:31
Seems redundant.

Let's try to be PC and just say that they are differently abled.

Lugnut
2011-04-24, 13:41
Let's try to be PC and just say that they are differently abled.

...and but a bridge apart.

General
2011-04-24, 18:49
i give folks ride out of helen regularly during the season. i quit handing out beer at road crossings though. not because i see anything wrong with it, i just drink too much to be giving anything away.

Tin Man
2011-04-24, 18:51
Good point. No beer for rockhound or superman ... not that they are going to make CT. :bootyshak

General
2011-04-24, 19:19
i'd give superman a beer. wee's 2000 brothers.

sheepdog
2011-04-24, 20:11
Seems redundant.

Seems redundant.

Skidsteer
2011-04-24, 20:21
Seems redundant.

:dito:

Ray
2011-04-24, 21:47
i give folks ride out of helen regularly during the season. i quit handing out beer at road crossings though. not because i see anything wrong with it, i just drink too much to be giving anything away.I quit handing out beer right after a deputy sheriff pulled into the overlook at Woody Gap and I was across the road at the picnic tables. And I was looking at my newest best friends and wondering how many were over 21.

And also wondering if they were asked by that deputy where they got those beers if they'd just shrug their shoulders .... or point at me.

And that was the last time I cached beer on my GA loop hike. Cached enough to share, I mean.

Skidsteer
2011-04-24, 21:57
I quit handing out beer right after a deputy sheriff pulled into the overlook at Woody Gap and I was across the road at the picnic tables. And I was looking at my newest best friends and wondering how many were over 21.

And also wondering if they were asked by that deputy where they got those beers if they'd just shrug their shoulders .... or point at me.

And that was the last time I cached beer on my GA loop hike. Cached enough to share, I mean.

You cached some beers at the intersection of the AT and the side trail to Whitley Gap and told me how to find them.

I'm obviously over 21, but still; That took guts.

Ray
2011-04-24, 22:14
You cached some beers at the intersection of the AT and the side trail to Whitley Gap and told me how to find them.

I'm obviously over 21, but still; That took guts.OK, so I'm not totally sure if that kid at the shelter that I gave a couple beers to was over 21 or not - the one who said the elders laid their hands on him and gave him his trail name?

... uhm, maybe I should add real fast here that those elders were in his church and not on that hike ...

... and also add that Skids and I and couple other members online here and also present on that hike were not and are not members of that church either .... and certainly not elders in that church.

Look, we only laid beer on the kid, not hands!

And I was going to make some sort of point but I totally forgot what it was.

curtisvowen
2011-04-24, 22:24
I've lost over $200 in food sales thanks to the I-40 feed, the Davenport Gap feed and the "someone left a cooler full of sodas and food" nearby.....all of these places are within 3 miles South of my place and conducted during most of the month of April.
That's alot of money to our poor asses.
Hikers don't need me nor hiker feeds, but I'm thankful I can provide this service as a Hostel and have a fulltime seasonal job doing it.

Gray Blazer
2011-04-24, 23:50
I've lost over $200 in food sales thanks to the I-40 feed, the Davenport Gap feed and the "someone left a cooler full of sodas and food" nearby.....all of these places are within 3 miles South of my place and conducted during most of the month of April.
That's alot of money to our poor asses.
Hikers don't need me nor hiker feeds, but I'm thankful I can provide this service as a Hostel and have a fulltime seasonal job doing it.

That is a weird place to have TM. I never thought I'd say it, but all this TM is too much.

curtisvowen
2011-04-25, 00:13
If they did the same thing South of Mountain Harbor or Carolyn's at Greasy?
Their inventory is about that size? Money-wise.....well you get the picture.
I got a email flyer from a church group wanting to feed in Hot Springs during trailfest.....told them to go feed the homeless and that poor town needs every nickel they can get when they get it.
Had a hiker today say she was going to eat a pizza...a $10 sell but didn't want one cause of the feed at Davenport Gap. Bought a few dollars worth of food, got her mail drop and moved on.

Sierra Echo
2011-04-25, 00:17
You're just cranky because you aren't making money.

curtisvowen
2011-04-25, 00:17
The Davenport Gap feed and the "left on the side of the trail" cooler was carried out by former thru hikers.
The I-40 feed told hikers I was fuckin closed for the year!
Fuck this.

Bearpaw
2011-04-25, 00:19
Saying you were closed was just plain wrong.

Do you still have the painted rock on the gravel road pointing up to the farm?

curtisvowen
2011-04-25, 00:23
I guess I could get Rockhound and the other 2 pot heads workin for me jacked up on some sweet ass weed, drop them off at the feeds and clean them out.
Oh I'm makin' money cause Hikerchick is here and Rockhound is putting the squeeze on her/him.
Hikers think we look alike so I hot em up (I'm prettier) and Rockhound brings the iron, hickerchick said it's iron....not me bitches.

curtisvowen
2011-04-25, 00:24
still have the rock, repaint it every year.

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-25, 00:24
Saying you were closed was just plain wrong.

Do you still have the painted rock on the gravel road pointing up to the farm?

He did last year.

Rockhound
2011-04-25, 08:05
I guarantee if someone was trying to give out free food in front of Walmart they would be arrested for trespass and "hurting their business".

Two Speed
2011-04-25, 09:06
I guess I could get Rockhound and the other 2 pot heads workin for me jacked up on some sweet ass weed, drop them off at the feeds and clean them out . . . Bet you could get lots of volunteers for that kind of work.

Just sayin'.

Rockhound
2011-04-25, 09:48
Finally, gettin' paid for something I'm good at.

Two Speed
2011-04-25, 09:55
With success like that on your resume you should consider writing a "how to" book, maybe do the lecture circuit.

JAK
2011-04-25, 09:55
Hike with kids. They make their own trail magic.

warraghiyagey
2011-04-25, 10:04
Finally, gettin' paid for something I'm good at.

Oh dude, tell me you're not workin on your knees again. . . .

Hog On Ice
2011-04-25, 10:09
+1 for warrghy

Weary
2011-04-25, 11:56
Spontaneous acts of good will should be encouraged. Organized feeds should be discouraged because they are changing the nature of the trail and not for the better. They are put on mostly by hangers on, hoping to live the trail vicariously. They are less acts of charity, than acts of selfishness.

More and more hiker feeds at shelters, stream and road crossings, and parking lots are changing the nature of the trail. The trail was designed by the founders as a way to introduce the mass of people to the experience of wildness.

Continuing and increasing mass feeds put on by mostly non hikers, changes the nature of the trail -- at least for the few of us who walk to experience a bit of wildness in an increasingly civilized society.

I know that great parts of the trail are not wild. That DOES NOT MEAN that we should not keep as much of the trail as possible, as wild as possible.

Rockhound
2011-04-25, 12:45
With success like that on your resume you should consider writing a "how to" book, maybe do the lecture circuit.

Wow dude. That seems like a lotta work man. How do you write a "how-to" book dude? Do they have a book for that?

Big Mac
2011-04-25, 12:51
Wow dude. That seems like a lotta work man. How do you write a "how-to" book dude? Do they have a book for that?

http://howtowritehowto.com/

sheepdog
2011-04-25, 12:52

hahahahahha

Rockhound
2011-04-25, 12:53
Oh dude, tell me you're not workin on your knees again. . . .

Amazing what the brain hears. I say, "I'm hiking when I please" and you hear "Working on my knees". Seems a bit creepy. I think you need to devote a little time to therapy. I am not comfortable with you having these thoughts about me. You are a perverse and vile creature and should be cast back to the darkest depths of hell from which you were spawned. And I can say that because hhq viewers are intelligent and have senses of humor and realize that some of what I just said is not true. They don't need anybody comin' along sanitizing what they say. BTW Warragiyagey is a bed wetter. Just sayin'

sheepdog
2011-04-25, 12:57

http://www.dummies.com/store/product/Switching-to-a-Mac-For-Dummies-2nd-Edition.productCd-0470466618.html
Is this how you became big mac??

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-25, 13:49
Nope. It was this one.

http://laughingsquid.com/wp-content/uploads/dummies-for-dummies-20100304-161042.jpg

Big Mac
2011-04-25, 14:13
monkeylink (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dumb%20monkey)

mudhead
2011-04-25, 17:53
You are a perverse and vile creature and should be cast back to the darkest depths of hell from which you were spawned.

BTW Warragiyagey is a bed wetter. Just sayin'

Well what do you expect from a massholio.:) (Insert stupid Beavis heh heh heh)

Jester
2011-04-27, 01:57

Well, yeah. There's much less controversy about this when one is actually on the trail. It's situational ethics. On the PCT (where feeds, excepting the Kickoff, are pretty much nonexistent), do you know what the big online debate is routinely about? Whether water caches in the desert ruin the wilderness experience. Do you know how many people who are out of water pass a water cache without taking water? Exactly zero.

. . . They are less acts of charity, than acts of selfishness. . .

I would posit that they're not acts of charity at all, and not meant to be. Just as I would posit that feeds are not trail magic and aren't meant to be. And I think you undervalue selfishness. The effects of selfishness can be wonderful, and I would suggest that just about anything anyone ever does, including charity, stems ultimately from selfishness. You protect the trail and want it to be the way you want it to be out of selfishness. You want to be on the trail and want to get what you get out of it out of selfishness. And that's not a bad thing. Any environmental concern is based on human selfishness, because frankly, the Earth doesn't need saving. The Earth will be fine. But to protect the environment in which we as a species can thrive? Selfish.

It bothers me when people refer to feeds as trail magic, although I will say that for certain people, stumbling across a feed might be considered (to them) trail magic, depending on their circumstances. I'm not going to argue with the hiker who thinks it is.

I have a feed every year in Duncannon. It is off the trail in the town park. Despite the fact that the town gives us (and the hikers) permission to camp there, the Doyle is full all weekend, as is their bar (mainly because we don't serve alcohol at our feed). They love us, as does the town. Hikers who don't want to eat a pig can pass on by.

So why do I do it? Selfishness. Absolutely. I do it because I like doing it. I hang out with my friends, we feed some hikers, we have a great time. And so do a whole bunch of hikers. It's a party, and the hikers are invited. And frankly, I don't really give a crap what anyone online thinks about it. I take what ATC (where I have many friends, including some who have attended my feed) says about Feeds, respectfully disagree, and do what I think is best. I take what other people think is a better use of my money under advisement, and then tell them to cram it.

Fortunately, the AT, like the Earth, will survive me just fine, regardless of my scurrilous, selfish behavior. And in the meantime, we'll eat some pig.

Tin Man
2011-04-27, 06:13
I like pig... Well said Jester. :congrats:

Gray Blazer
2011-04-27, 08:41
Infidels! I KEEL YOU!!

Rockhound
2011-04-27, 08:48
And I think you undervalue selfishness. The effects of selfishness can be wonderful, and I would suggest that just about anything anyone ever does, including charity, stems ultimately from selfishness. You protect the trail and want it to be the way you want it to be out of selfishness. You want to be on the trail and want to get what you get out of it out of selfishness. And that's not a bad thing. Any environmental concern is based on human selfishness, because frankly, the Earth doesn't need saving. The Earth will be fine. But to protect the environment in which we as a species can thrive? Selfish.

So why do I do it? Selfishness. Absolutely. I do it because I like doing it. I hang out with my friends, we feed some hikers, we have a great time. And so do a whole bunch of hikers. It's a party, and the hikers are invited. And frankly, I don't really give a crap what anyone online thinks about it. I take what ATC (where I have many friends, including some who have attended my feed) says about Feeds, respectfully disagree, and do what I think is best. I take what other people think is a better use of my money under advisement, and then tell them to cram it.

Fortunately, the AT, like the Earth, will survive me just fine, regardless of my scurrilous, selfish behavior. And in the meantime, we'll eat some pig.[/QUOTE]

What a selfish thing to say.

Tin Man
2011-04-27, 08:53

coming from the king of selfish, that's funny...

Kanga
2011-04-27, 11:28
Infidels! I KEEL YOU!!

Well said!!:beer:

Kanga
2011-04-27, 11:32
And I think you undervalue selfishness. The effects of selfishness can be wonderful, and I would suggest that just about anything anyone ever does, including charity, stems ultimately from selfishness. You protect the trail and want it to be the way you want it to be out of selfishness. You want to be on the trail and want to get what you get out of it out of selfishness. And that's not a bad thing. Any environmental concern is based on human selfishness, because frankly, the Earth doesn't need saving. The Earth will be fine. But to protect the environment in which we as a species can thrive? Selfish.

Fortunately, the AT, like the Earth, will survive me just fine, regardless of my scurrilous, selfish behavior. And in the meantime, we'll eat some pig.[/QUOTE

I selfishly wish you would learn how to quote properly.

mudhead
2011-04-27, 13:48
It was selfish to make me read that whole treatise again before I had the sense to scroll.

dixicritter
2011-04-27, 13:55
It was selfish of me not to go fix RH's quoting error. :angel:

Big Mac
2011-04-27, 14:25
It would be selfish of me not to share my thoughts . . .

Lugnut
2011-04-27, 14:37
It would be selfish of me not to share my thoughts . . .

You have thoughts? :ahhhhh:

Nearly Normal
2011-04-27, 14:43
When I bbq a hawg I'm selfish too.
When I get the skin blistered, golden brown and crunchy I save it back for the folks I really like.

Tin Man
2011-04-27, 17:42
It was selfish of me not to go fix RH's quoting error. :angel:

and kanga's quote of the failed quote :aetsch:

sheepdog
2011-04-27, 22:25
Well, yeah. There's much less controversy about this when one is actually on the trail. It's situational ethics. On the PCT (where feeds, excepting the Kickoff, are pretty much nonexistent), do you know what the big online debate is routinely about? Whether water caches in the desert ruin the wilderness experience. Do you know how many people who are out of water pass a water cache without taking water? Exactly zero.

I would posit that they're not acts of charity at all, and not meant to be. Just as I would posit that feeds are not trail magic and aren't meant to be. And I think you undervalue selfishness. The effects of selfishness can be wonderful, and I would suggest that just about anything anyone ever does, including charity, stems ultimately from selfishness. You protect the trail and want it to be the way you want it to be out of selfishness. You want to be on the trail and want to get what you get out of it out of selfishness. And that's not a bad thing. Any environmental concern is based on human selfishness, because frankly, the Earth doesn't need saving. The Earth will be fine. But to protect the environment in which we as a species can thrive? Selfish.

It bothers me when people refer to feeds as trail magic, although I will say that for certain people, stumbling across a feed might be considered (to them) trail magic, depending on their circumstances. I'm not going to argue with the hiker who thinks it is.

I have a feed every year in Duncannon. It is off the trail in the town park. Despite the fact that the town gives us (and the hikers) permission to camp there, the Doyle is full all weekend, as is their bar (mainly because we don't serve alcohol at our feed). They love us, as does the town. Hikers who don't want to eat a pig can pass on by.

Fortunately, the AT, like the Earth, will survive me just fine, regardless of my scurrilous, selfish behavior. And in the meantime, we'll eat some pig.

What a selfish thing to say.[/QUOTE]
never read more than 4 lines :albertein

Bearpaw
2011-04-28, 20:10
I am not a selfish person at all. It is out of a sense of selfless generosity that I am willing to offer my thoughts free of charge.

And my thoughts are:

"You're all a bunch of doofuses!"

I can only hope future generations will appreciate my magnanimity. :angel:

Tin Man
2011-04-28, 20:39
sounds like a selfish act to me ms. bearpaw

Bearpaw
2011-04-28, 20:52
sounds like a selfish act to me ms. bearpaw

It just shows the limits of your poor selfish brain, my poor dear tin woman.

Tin Man
2011-04-28, 21:06
It just shows the limits of your poor selfish brain, my poor dear tin woman.

you think this is easy??... going around all heartless ain't for pussies, just sayin'

mudhead
2011-04-29, 13:46
I am not a selfish person at all. It is out of a sense of selfless generosity that I am willing to offer my thoughts free of charge.

And my thoughts are:

"You're all a bunch of doofuses!"

I can only hope future generations will appreciate my magnanimity. :angel:

It would be selfish if I did not inform you that the plural of doofus is doofi.

Unless in Maine, and then it is Massholes. Regardless of residency.