PDA

View Full Version : Tick Removal

Sierra Echo
2011-04-25, 20:24
I found this on a pest control website. I'm researching ways to kill fleas in your yard if anyone has any suggestions. Anyhoo, this is suppose to easily remove unwanted ticks. (wanted ones too I suppose):

I had a pediatrician tell me what she believes is the best way to remove a
tick. This is great, because it works in those places where it's sometimes
difficult to get to with tweezers: between toes, in the middle of a head
full of dark hair, etc. Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the
soap-soaked cotton ball and let it stay on the repulsive insect for a few
seconds (15-20), after which the tick will come out on it's own and be
stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away.
This technique has worked every time I've used it (and that was
frequently), and it's much less traumatic for the patient and easier for me.
Unless someone is allergic to soap, I can't see that this would be damaging in any way.
I even had my doctor's wife call me for advice because she had one stuck to
her back and she couldn't reach it with tweezers. She used this method and
immediately called me back to say, "It worked!"

Hog On Ice
2011-04-25, 20:44
generally I wouldn't recommend this approach - the soap blocks the ticks respiration which can cause the tick to regurgitate its stomach contents into the person - thus increasing the probability of a tick borne disease being transmitted to the person

Sierra Echo
2011-04-25, 20:48
Gross! Lol

Sierra Echo
2011-04-25, 21:34
Check this out!!!:

http://www.otom.com/how-to-remove-a-tick

Lugnut
2011-04-25, 21:39
But at the tick survives. This would be a Budhist approved method. :angel:

Sierra Echo
2011-04-25, 21:40
Nay. Just flush the lil turd down the toliet. :D

Nearly Normal
2011-04-25, 22:12
Get some guineas.

Furlough
2011-04-25, 23:26
Hey SE,
This was recieved a lot better over here than on WB. I guess HHQ has no resident "certified Red Cross First Aid Instructor " waiting in the wings to weigh in.

Sierra Echo
2011-04-25, 23:28
Hey SE,
This was recieved a lot better over here than on WB. I guess HHQ has no resident "certified Red Cross First Aid Instructor " waiting in the wings to weigh in.

Was that not stupid!!!! This is why I like HHQ so much better then WB. The people here are so much cooler and have a badass thing called a sense of humor! I think Karo has a tick up her ass! A BIG tick~!

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-25, 23:51
My eye has a nervous tick......put the soap on the cotton ball for a few seconds, but when I removed it, my eye was still twitching.

Sierra Echo
2011-04-25, 23:55
ok try the cotton ball with some super glue! that should make it stop!

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-25, 23:56
be right back..........

Furlough
2011-04-25, 23:56
Was that not stupid!!!! This is why I like HHQ so much better then WB. The people here are so much cooler and have a badass thing called a sense of humor! I think Karo has a tick up her ass! A BIG tick~!

Or Stick, sideways.....with a twist.

Furlough
2011-04-25, 23:58
ok try the cotton ball with some super glue! that should make it stop!

My eye has a nervous tick......put the soap on the cotton ball for a few seconds, but when I removed it, my eye was still twitching.

Or try that tick twister contraption.

Sierra Echo
2011-04-26, 00:00
I want a tick twister contraption!!

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-26, 00:06
Ok....the tick is gone, but now I can't open my eye

Sierra Echo
2011-04-26, 00:09
Well aren't you tough to please!!!!! :eviltongu

Hog On Ice
2011-04-26, 08:13

get with Jester - Twister is his specialty

probably not work safe link: link (http://www.turdtwister.com/) - might want to pass on to the red cross guy

Rockhound
2011-04-26, 08:57
Great. Now I have to carry dish soap while hiking. This is going to make it very difficult for me to remain an ultralighter.

Sierra Echo
2011-04-26, 16:43
get with Jester - Twister is his specialty

probably not work safe link: link (http://www.turdtwister.com/) - might want to pass on to the red cross guy

No kiddin! And his chin friend too!

Sierra Echo
2011-04-26, 16:44
Great. Now I have to carry dish soap while hiking. This is going to make it very difficult for me to remain an ultralighter.

Just get one of those soaps on a rope! Just don't drop it in a public shower!

GGS
2011-04-26, 17:51
generally I wouldn't recommend this approach - the soap blocks the ticks respiration which can cause the tick to regurgitate its stomach contents into the person - thus increasing the probability of a tick borne disease being transmitted to the person

For the record, I haven't found any other method that works removing ticks that doesn't involve a lot of scraping or squeezing, which are sure to cause the tick to regurgitate.

I'm definitely trying the soap method the next tick I encounter

Ray
2011-04-26, 21:26
Silly. Any tick that can drink hiker blood ain't going to throw up because of a little soap.

erin
2011-04-26, 21:27
Last year I was out of town for work and went walking after dinner in a state park. I was staying in a state park hotel. About ten pm, I found a n embedded tick in that part of the back no one can reach. Oh, man, what to do. Lucky for me the desk clerk was a female too. I have had ehrilichosis, so I could not leave that tick for say, the next morning. I wish some one would invent long handled tweezers! I tried that soap idea. It did not work, but maybe I was using the wrong kind of soap. The ticks are terrible this year too.

Skidsteer
2011-04-26, 21:46
Silly. Any tick that can drink hiker blood ain't going to throw up because of a little soap.

The hiker, on the other hand, may feel a little nauseous.

Sierra Echo
2011-04-26, 21:50
Last year I was out of town for work and went walking after dinner in a state park. I was staying in a state park hotel. About ten pm, I found a n embedded tick in that part of the back no one can reach. Oh, man, what to do. Lucky for me the desk clerk was a female too. I have had ehrilichosis, so I could not leave that tick for say, the next morning. I wish some one would invent long handled tweezers! I tried that soap idea. It did not work, but maybe I was using the wrong kind of soap. The ticks are terrible this year too.

I wouldn't care if the desk clerk was male! I ain't shy~! Just get the damn tick off of me!

gungho
2011-04-27, 20:28
its nice to have a civilized discussion about something without some "dickhead" coming out of the woodwork, whick happens on that "other site"

J5man
2011-04-27, 20:58

I ordered one after reading the thread on WB! great deal. 5.99 for two and free shipping

Hog On Ice
2011-04-27, 21:29
I want a dick twister contraption!!

be careful how you order that

Kanga
2011-04-27, 21:33
its nice to have a civilized discussion about something without some "dickhead" coming out of the woodwork, whick happens on that "other site"

and that, my dearheart, is why we are "here".:beer:

erin
2011-04-27, 23:11
I was worried that night clerk was going to be a 14 year old kid. I was so glad to see it was basically grandma. She had all kinds of tick stories.

chumpchange
2011-10-06, 23:15
douse it with rubbing alcohol. he'll come out head and all squirming and bitching.

then you have the option to flush him, crush him, or set him on fire and watch him dance and glow... then of course, why would you want to do that?

Skidsteer
2011-10-06, 23:22
douse it with rubbing alcohol. he'll come out head and all squirming and bitching.

Really?

What if he gets drunk, belligerent, and horny?

warraghiyagey
2011-10-06, 23:24
:congrats::congrats::congrats:

MonkeyBoy
2011-10-07, 00:08

then you have the option to flush him, crush him, or set him on fire and watch him dance and glow... then of course, why would you want to do that?

Honestly never heard that. Must look into it.

chumpchange
2011-10-07, 00:39
Really?

What if he gets drunk, belligerent, and horny?

put him back in.

chumpchange
2011-10-13, 22:40
i tried like hell to get rid of this tick on my upper hamstring.

turns out i have a mole.

Spogatz
2011-10-14, 14:27
those moles can dig some pretty deep holes.....