PDA

View Full Version : Honey Bees

sheepdog
2011-04-27, 22:10
I got my honey bees today and put them in their hive. All went well.

only had one bee fly in my butt crack :ahhhhh:

:bootyshak :willy:

Kanga
2011-04-27, 22:13
i thought they were supposed to fly in your bonnet? have i been wrong lo all these years?
<fainting southern belle smiley>

D'Artagnan
2011-04-27, 22:48

Is that the same thing as having a bug up your ass? :aetsch:

john pickett
2011-04-28, 07:48
"only had one bee fly in my butt crack"
better watch out. people for the ethical treatment of insects (PETI) will get you.

Hog On Ice
2011-04-28, 09:31
oh oh ... how petty

sheepdog
2011-04-28, 18:34
Walked out of the front door and a honey bee landed on my shoulder. I walked her around the house to the hive and set her on the door step.

I'm turning into a bee nerd

sigh

Sierra Echo
2011-04-28, 18:36
I only had one bee fly in my butt crack :ahhhhh:

I bet it died from it too! :eviltongu

Rockhound
2011-04-28, 20:20
Walked out of the front door and a honey bee landed on my shoulder. I walked her around the house to the hive and set her on the door step.

I'm turning into a bee nerd

sigh
You should talk to Honey Bear on WB. She is a bee expert. Alligator is convinced she is not a real person and only my sock puppet so she may be banned due to her affiliation with me. If so, and you want to advance your bee knowledge I can get you some contact info.

Weary
2011-04-28, 20:35

Urge all your neighbors not to use "sevin" on their sweet corn to kill ear worms. My four hives were wiped out a few years ago, when an old guy who lived next door refused to heed my advice. He insisted "the govmint" wouldn't allow chemicals that killed bees on the market. Old people, I've found, are like that.

But my bees piled up in front of my hives, within a day or so of his using Sevin dust on his corn. Bees mistake Sevin dust for pollen, and die. I finally gave up. Though I still dream of getting a few more hives.

sheepdog
2011-04-28, 20:58
You should talk to Honey Bear on WB. She is a bee expert. Alligator is convinced she is not a real person and only my sock puppet so she may be banned due to her affiliation with me. If so, and you want to advance your bee knowledge I can get you some contact info.

pm me that info Rockhound, I can use all the help I can get.

Skidsteer
2011-04-28, 20:59
Urge all your neighbors not to use "sevin" on their sweet corn to kill ear worms. My four hives were wiped out a few years ago, when an old guy who lived next door refused to heed my advice. He insisted "the govmint" wouldn't allow chemicals that killed bees on the market. Old people, I've found, are like that.

But my bees piled up in front of my hives, within a day or so of his using Sevin dust on his corn. Bees mistake Sevin dust for pollen, and die. I finally gave up. Though I still dream of getting a few more hives.

He might have been able to use liquid Sevin and everyone would have been happy.

sheepdog
2011-04-28, 21:01

How long did you have bees weary?? Good tip about the Sevin dust. Pesticides are really tough on our bees.

sheepdog
2011-04-28, 21:30
saw an eagle and an osprey settle a dispute over fishing rights today. pretty cool.

Weary
2011-04-28, 21:33
How long did you have bees weary?? Good tip about the Sevin dust. Pesticides are really tough on our bees.
I had them a decade, maybe longer. Coastal Maine is not great honey country. Coastal fogs hang in late many mornings, which reduces production. My hives basically produced enough honey to support the hives, but very little extra for me to use on my kids pancakes.

But I enjoyed watching the bees work my squash and cucumber vines, and other garden crops. I found it great fun to catch a swarm of wild bees and place them in a hive. But it was 99 percent hobby, 1 percent serious attempt at providing honey for the five of us, my wife and I, and three kids.

My original bees came from Sears Roebuck, back when they had a mail order catalogue, that included such things.

sheepdog
2011-04-28, 21:36
I got my bees because there are not very many around and the garden suffers from it. If I get any honey that will be a bonus. I remember when Sears had the world by the tail just like Wal-Mart does now. This too will pass.

Skidsteer
2011-04-28, 21:41
saw an eagle and an osprey settle a dispute over fishing rights today. pretty cool.

Who won?

MonkeyBoy
2011-04-28, 21:47

Where did you put your hive????

Lugnut
2011-04-28, 22:29

I was sure that was your sock puppet too. What do you know about bees?

erin
2011-04-28, 22:51
I never knew a darn thing about bees until a friend and my brother started hives. The funniest stories were from the post office griping about the hive and queen coming into town and scaring them. The rural post mistress does not like buzzing boxes. Now I go visit my family and see the two hives and the wild hive in the tree. Italian bees and Russian bees I am told. A very cool hobby and I love the benefits-the honey. Go you bee keepers.

Sierra Echo
2011-04-28, 22:54
As a postal carrier I must agree with the Rural Postmistress!

mudhead
2011-04-29, 07:01

Plus they lived thru a time when the gov encouraged usage. DDT works very well.

[QUOTE=sheepdog;232479]I got my bees because there are not very many around and the garden suffers from it. If I get any honey that will be a bonus. I remember when Sears had the world by the tail just like Wal-Mart does now. This too will pass.

You can buy bulk honey pretty cheap I bet, so indeed a bonus.
I went to parthenocarpic cucumbers and summer squash. I can hand pollinate big stuff, but am tired of it. People should be more concerned with lack of bees. Some things like Gaucho must have an effect. Could be some combination of environmental and chemical.

JAK
2011-04-29, 07:40

Remind me to pass on the first batch of honey. :bandit:

sheepdog
2011-04-29, 09:31
Who won?

They flew at each other a couple times. Did some screeching and the osprey flew away. I'm guessing the eagle won. The fish are starting to run up the creek next to my house. They have been fishing it pretty hard. The bears will be next. I hope my electric fence keeps them away from my bees.

ed bell
2011-04-29, 11:39
My paw-in-law started keeping them two years ago...gets lots of advice from folks back in his hometown of Grundy, VA.

The honey is unique since the bees are primarily visiting a wide assortment of wildflowers.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll ask for you.

cool breeze
2011-04-29, 13:21
My paw-in-law started keeping them two years ago...gets lots of advice from folks back in his hometown of Grundy, VA.

The honey is unique since the bees are primarily visiting a wide assortment of wildflowers.

My mother is from Grundy

shadowmoss
2011-04-29, 14:18
I kept bees for a few years. It's a fun hobby, and beekeepers are a fun group to hang out with. Find a local group meeting and you will find a font of information.

sheepdog
2011-04-29, 14:39
This is the first sunny day since I've put the hive in. The last two days were cold and rainy. So there was no bee activity. Today it's sunny and high 50's. Boy are the bees buzzing. I can't wait to open the hive in a few days and see if the queen is laying eggs.

Shadowmoss, do you use gloves while handling the bees. The books say not to but it scares me a bit.

shadowmoss
2011-04-29, 15:39
Get a different book! I used a full bee suit with attached headnet that I got from Mann Lake http://www.mannlakeltd.com, along with leather gloves with nylon gauntletts(?) up past my elbow, and gaiters over the legs of my bee suit. http://www.mannlakeltd.com/ProductDetail.asp?idproduct=375&idCategory=45

sheepdog
2011-04-29, 17:40

Thanks Ed, I appreciate that.

Wise Old Owl
2011-04-29, 22:49
Is that the same thing as having a bug up your ass? :aetsch:

Pest control humor crack's up badly....

Nearly Normal
2011-04-30, 00:00
My Grandfather kept bees for a while. They got along fine and he never used anything but a head net. Had to move them around and feed them in winter.
Keep close to the summer garden but didn't use that honey.

ed bell
2011-04-30, 00:17
This is the first sunny day since I've put the hive in. The last two days were cold and rainy. So there was no bee activity. Today it's sunny and high 50's. Boy are the bees buzzing. I can't wait to open the hive in a few days and see if the queen is laying eggs.

Shadowmoss, do you use gloves while handling the bees. The books say not to but it scares me a bit.
It's a different situation entirely down here in the South, but what are you supposed to do in winter up there? It's gotta be WAY too cold to simply leave them be in the boxes?

sheepdog
2011-04-30, 00:24
It's a different situation entirely down here in the South, but what are you supposed to do in winter up there? It's gotta be WAY too cold to simply leave them be in the boxes?

we protect the hives from the wind, but if you leave them enough honey they can make it through winter ok.

sheepdog
2011-04-30, 00:26
My Grandfather kept bees for a while. They got along fine and he never used anything but a head net. Had to move them around and feed them in winter.
Keep close to the summer garden but didn't use that honey.

most of the folks I know that handle bees around here do it bare handed. The veil they say mostly keeps them from crawling in your ears and nose.
I don't know if I will do it without gloves or not. No guts no glory

ed bell
2011-04-30, 01:55
From what I've heard, one things for sure, they can be very temperamental.

sheepdog
2011-04-30, 02:02
From what I've heard, one things for sure, they can be very temperamental.

they are girls:ahhhhh:

john pickett
2011-04-30, 08:13
I call my wife Honey, but she's more like a wasp.

JAK
2011-04-30, 09:26
white anglo-saxon protestant?

john pickett
2011-04-30, 17:54
That too, but I was refering to the stinger she keeps in both ends.

Weary
2011-04-30, 19:44
most of the folks I know that handle bees around here do it bare handed. The veil they say mostly keeps them from crawling in your ears and nose.
I don't know if I will do it without gloves or not. No guts no glory
After you get used to bees, almost everyone works them without gloves, at least when just inspecting a hive. Sometimes I would even pull out the frames, if the bees seemed calm having me about.

Italian bees are the calmest. Someone once gave me a swarm of German bees, and they were noticeably more inclined to sting. If you give them a puff of smoke, they tend to fill themselves with honey and ignore you.

A wild swarm has left their hive filled with honey, and are pretty gentle, I've found. Just gently shake them into a box and dump them into a hive. Make sure the queen comes along, or the hive won't survive. Though if the queen is injured or killed you can order a replacement from a bee supply business. If she arrives within a few days, the hive usually accepts her and returns to normal.

Wise Old Owl
2011-04-30, 23:35
I didn't know there were so many bee keepers out there, I too kept hives for my dads orchard, but that was many years ago.

JERMM
2011-05-01, 14:20
HikerHead and I saw wild honey bees this week. We were hiking the Foothills Trail in SC and taking a break at the the bridge crossing the Horsepasture River. my pack was sitting on the bridge when I noticed three honey bees crawling around the shoulder straps and back. This is the first time in a long time I've seen them in the wild, but glad to know they're out there and hopefully thriving.