PDA

View Full Version : Osama Bin Ladin is Dead

Furlough
2011-05-02, 07:22
WASHINGTON – Osama bin Laden, the face of global terrorism and architect of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, was killed in a firefight with elite American forces Monday, then quickly buried at sea in a stunning finale to a furtive decade on the run.

Long believed to be hiding in caves, bin Laden was tracked down in a costly, custom-built hideout not far from a Pakistani military academy.

"Justice has been done," President Barack Obama said in a dramatic announcement at the White House while a crowd cheered outside and hundreds more gathered at ground zero in Manhattan to celebrate the news.

The military operation took mere minutes.

U.S. helicopters ferrying elite counter-terrorism troops into the compound identified by the CIA as bin Laden's hideout — and back out again in less than 40 minutes. Bin Laden was shot in the head, officials said, after he and his bodyguards resisted the assault.

Rockhound
2011-05-02, 08:25
The way terrorism should be fought. Using small groups of elite forces to take out the terrorists one by one with a minimal risk to civilian populations. Keep up the good work.

Furlough
2011-05-02, 08:48
The way terrorism should be fought. Using small groups of elite forces to take out the terrorists one by one with a minimal risk to civilian populations. Keep up the good work.

Yes. And here's to hoping for another like Op taking out the brains behind Bin Laden, Ayman al-Zawahri.

MonkeyBoy
2011-05-02, 09:02
Thank God, Obama is a ninja.

Otherwise, he wouldn't have been able to singlehandedly kill Bin Laden all by himself.

warraghiyagey
2011-05-02, 09:16
Thank God, Obama is a ninja.

Otherwise, he wouldn't have been able to singlehandedly kill Bin Laden all by himself.

In your excitement to diss President Obama you're becoming redundant. . . singlehandedly and all by himself mean the same thing. . .
btw. . . this isn't about Obama, this is about a measure of Justice every American has been waiting on since a September morn 10 years ago. . . at least can we enjoy this moment and leave the Obama bashing out of it. . . .

JAK
2011-05-02, 09:17
Cement shoes. Swimming with the fishes. Nice touch my gangster friends.
Thank you.

ljqgCMtqWvA

MonkeyBoy
2011-05-02, 09:18
You are absolutely correct. It isn't about Obama.

Maybe someone should have told him that last night.

Go back and count how many times he said "I" in his speech.

Tin Man
2011-05-02, 09:19
Cement shoes. Swimming with the fishes. Nice touch gangster friends.
Thank you.

should have cut him up and chummed for sharks

D'Artagnan
2011-05-02, 09:27
Burial at sea was a smart move. At least it prevents his grave from becoming a pilgrimage site.

Crikey
2011-05-02, 09:37

10 times in a 9 min 18 second speech.

More numerous "we" "our" and "us".

I didn't take away from this address that he took any credit, other than as CIC to act on the intel and give the order. Nothing out of the ordinary or wrong with that.

In fact, IMO, he gave full credit where it was due.

Furlough
2011-05-02, 09:38

You are reaching now. It does not matter who the Pres. was when this rat bastard got canx'd, any Pres would have had to say I numerous times. Comes with the job and what the Pres knows when and what he/she has to authorize.

Bottom line is Bin Laden's dead. At this moment in time politics be damned. I just hope nationally we stay the course and do not give up the fight just because Bin Laden is dead. Let's get Ayman al-Zawahri, and go after the leaders of the movement in Yemen. They are the ones leading the fight from the Al Qaeda front now.

MonkeyBoy
2011-05-02, 09:45
And it doesn't matter who was President when he was taken, because it wasn't the President that called the shots, I guarantee.

Can you say "2012 Campaigning"? Because if it weren't for this, I'd tell you there isn't a snowball's chance in Hades he'd get re-elected. Now, at least, he'd have a shot at it.

MonkeyBoy
2011-05-02, 09:45
And yes........saying "I" once a minute is taking credit for it.

Sorry......my opinion.

JAK
2011-05-02, 09:51
Personally, I wouldn't care if you had Joseph Stalin as President.
You got the job done. Thank you.

qOMJsJhHlyM

Tin Man
2011-05-02, 09:51

this is the only part of the speech that is even remotely objectionable... said almost as if it wasn't bush's or america's goal, but his alone... the following should have been omitted or reworded, if for nothing else to not give any fodder for political bs... bin ladens death is a blessing for all Americans and credit should only be given to those who got him - our spies and service men...

"And so shortly after taking office, I directed Leon Panetta, the director of the CIA, to make the killing or capture of bin Laden the top priority of our war against Al-Qaeda, even as we continued our broader efforts to disrupt, dismantle, and defeat his network."

MonkeyBoy
2011-05-02, 09:53
Oh....I agree. The United States Military and Intelligence Departments are to be praised for its hard work.

But how anyone can read this :

"And so shortly after taking office, I directed Leon Panetta, the director of the CIA, to make the killing or capture of bin Laden the top priority of our war against Al-Qaeda, even as we continued our broader efforts to disrupt, dismantle, and defeat his network.

"Then, last August, after years of painstaking work by our intelligence community, I was briefed on a possible lead to bin Laden. It was far from certain, and it took many months to run this thread to ground. I met repeatedly with my national security team as we developed more information about the possibility that we had located bin Laden hiding within a compound deep inside of Pakistan. And finally, last week, I determined that we had enough intelligence to take action, and authorized an operation to get Osama bin Laden and bring him to justice.

"Today, at my direction, the United States launched a targeted operation against that compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan. A small team of Americans carried out the operation with extraordinary courage and capability. No Americans were harmed. They took care to avoid civilian casualties. After a firefight, they killed Osama bin Laden and took custody of his body.

And NOT think that Obama was taking all the credit is beyond me.

Crikey
2011-05-02, 09:56
And yes........saying "I" once a minute is taking credit for it.

Sorry......my opinion.

I may not agree with it, but I respect it.

Tin Man
2011-05-02, 09:58
Oh....I agree. The United States Military and Intelligence Departments are to be praised for its hard work.

But how anyone can read this :

And NOT think that Obama was taking all the credit is beyond me.

he was just describing his actions, wtf? would you be saying this if this happened on bush's watch and he used the same words?

MonkeyBoy
2011-05-02, 10:00
In other words, he could have stated :

"I met with Leon Panetta and stated that finding Bin Laden is a top priority" and "Today the United States launched an operative"

No..........he was all about stating how it was all his decision making that made it what it is.

Again.....just my humble opinion.

MonkeyBoy
2011-05-02, 10:02
he was just describing his actions, wtf? would you be saying this if this happened on bush's watch and he used the same words?

Yes, I would.

There is one thing that I can absolutely not stand for.

It is when a project goes off without a hitch, the leader standing up and saying it was his doing, but if it screws up, the leader standing up and blaming those under him/her.

When a team does the job, it is the team's success.
When a team doesn't do the job, it is the team's failure.

How does that saying go "There is no I in team".
Well, guess what...........There's no U either.

Tin Man
2011-05-02, 10:03
I like eggs

MonkeyBoy
2011-05-02, 10:05
Me too.

Oook.

Furlough
2011-05-02, 10:07
And it doesn't matter who was President when he was taken, because it wasn't the President that called the shots, I guarantee.

Can you say "2012 Campaigning"? Because if it weren't for this, I'd tell you there isn't a snowball's chance in Hades he'd get re-elected. Now, at least, he'd have a shot at it.

Perhaps then this can be his new campaign slogan.

JAK
2011-05-02, 10:08
The President simply took responsibility for the action, that is all.
Responsibility.

The fact that, in itself, is offensive to some people is offensive to me.

Furlough
2011-05-02, 10:16
To be fair MB I looked at this post by you. I think you highlighted I or me something like 5 times. I see we/us/they something like 10 times. And for the record I did not vote for Pres Obama in the last election.

"And so shortly after taking office, I directed Leon Panetta, the director of the CIA, to make the killing or capture of bin Laden the top priority of our war against Al-Qaeda, even as we continued our broader efforts to disrupt, dismantle, and defeat his network.

"Then, last August, after years of painstaking work by our intelligence community, I was briefed on a possible lead to bin Laden. It was far from certain, and it took many months to run this thread to ground. I met repeatedly with my national security team as we developed more information about the possibility that we had located bin Laden hiding within a compound deep inside of Pakistan. And finally, last week, I determined that we had enough intelligence to take action, and authorized an operation to get Osama bin Laden and bring him to justice.

"Today, at my direction, the United States launched a targeted operation against that compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan. A small team of Americans carried out the operation with extraordinary courage and capability. No Americans were harmed. They took care to avoid civilian casualties. After a firefight, they killed Osama bin Laden and took custody of his body.

MonkeyBoy
2011-05-02, 10:16
Sorry........but you watch if that isn't the only thing he really hangs his hat on come 2012.

MonkeyBoy
2011-05-02, 10:19
To be fair MB I looked at this post by you. I think you highlighted I or me something like 5 times. I see we/us/they something like 10 times. And for the record I did not vote for Pres Obama in the last election.

You are correct. He said We more times than I.

But look at the We statements...

We at My direction did this......We after My orders.....We after My counsel.

Yeah........it was all about We, all right.

Rockhound
2011-05-02, 10:27

He was the president that put conditions on the billions we give Pakistan. ie. focus troops on Al qaeda and eastern Pakistan not just the Indian border if you still want all that aid. He was the president that had more drone attacks against Al qaeda in Pakistan in one year than during his predecessors entire administration. He was the president that had the fortitude to send in elite forces into Pakistan to kill Bin Laden. He was the president that was not afraid to go after the terrorists "and the countries that harbor them". I remember hearing that quote somewhere.
He was not the president that let Bin Laden slip into Pakistan via a convoy that we had the capability to take out 2 weeks after we invaded Afghanistan or the president that let 2 of Bin Ladens sons escape via airplane a couple weeks after that. He was not the president that was more concerned about maintaining good diplomatic ties with Pakistan rather than eliminating the terrorist threat within it's borders.
Pakistan is and has been terrorism central for over a decade and unfortunately was all but ignored by the Bush administration. Obama had the fortitude and resolve to get the job done. He didn't say "I" enough but I think he will have the opportunity to say "I" plenty in 2012 thru 2016.

JAK
2011-05-02, 10:29
It would have been really interesting if Donald Trump had been president.
I still wouldn't care. The job got done. That is what matters.

MonkeyBoy
2011-05-02, 10:30
Oh, believe me........he says I plenty now.

Anytime something good happens, he did it.

Anytime something bad happens, it's Bush's fault.

Furlough
2011-05-02, 10:32
You are correct. He said We more times than I.

But look at the We statements...

We at My direction did this......We after My orders.....We after My counsel.

Yeah........it was all about We, all right.

What he said is correct. All the we/I had to occur in order for this to happen. Same as under GB2. But, I got it.....this is a Dem Pres. so no matter what, you personally can't support him. Just as if it had been a Rep. Pres, you would be tooting that horn just as some Dem supporter would be attacking the actions of the Rep.Pres. And that Rep Pres would ride this horse until it died and then beat on it some more. As you beleive, probably the same as Obama will do. Politics of the day.

For me I am just glad we finally got Osama.

MonkeyBoy
2011-05-02, 10:39
I'm a registered Democrat, Furlough.

And while I too am glad that Osama is dead, credit is to be given to our military, not the president.

I think the military shot him in the head so Oblahblah wouldn't put him on trial, personally.

Rockhound
2011-05-02, 10:50
I'm a registered Democrat, Furlough.

And while I too am glad that Osama is dead, credit is to be given to our military, not the president.

I think the military shot him in the head so Oblahblah wouldn't put him on trial, personally.

Is Obama not the "Commander and Chief" of our military. You can spin all you want MB but it just aint gonna work. And listen to the speech. He did give credit to the military. I suppose he should have said, "I had no idea WTF happened. My staff woke me up and said we killed the motha trucker. I didn't order it, had no knowledge of it. I was as surprised as everybody. I think GW was pulling the strings on this one. Man I wash a pres could go 3 terms. Not for me of course but for George. Out of office and he still kills Osama."

dixicritter
2011-05-02, 10:52
Let's all stop the political spining here... take it to a political website.

MonkeyBoy
2011-05-02, 10:53
Like I said.......the only real thing he can hang his hat on come 2012.

And if you think that Obama (or GW) calls all the shots because he's CIC, you're delusional.

MonkeyBoy
2011-05-02, 10:53

yes maam.

nuf said

Rockhound
2011-05-02, 11:03

sorry miss Dixie.

But Monkey Boy started it.:angel:

dixicritter
2011-05-02, 11:14
Thank you guys!

Oh and God Bless America and her military members!

Big Mac
2011-05-02, 11:27
Thank you guys!

Amen.

Weary
2011-05-02, 11:40
Oh, believe me........he says I plenty now.

Anytime something good happens, he did it.

Anytime something bad happens, it's Bush's fault.
MonkeyBoy. You're talking nonsense. The President was telling it like it happened. If anything his speech is a message to Bin Ladin's gang that he should be the target of their ire, not innocent people around the world.

Furlough
2011-05-02, 11:58
sorry miss Dixie.

But Monkey Boy started it.:angel:

Thank you guys!

What he and she said, and Navy Seal Team Six did. :beer:

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Furlough

Kanga
2011-05-02, 12:17
In your excitement to diss President Obama you're becoming redundant. . . singlehandedly and all by himself mean the same thing. . .
btw. . . this isn't about Obama, this is about a measure of Justice every American has been waiting on since a September morn 10 years ago. . . at least can we enjoy this moment and leave the Obama bashing out of it. . . .

that would have been easier if obama hadn't singlehandedly acted like he did it all by himself on the news last night..:hmmmm::rolleyes2

Kanga
2011-05-02, 12:18
Burial at sea was a smart move. At least it prevents his grave from becoming a pilgrimage site.

i was wondering why they did that. that sounds like a good reason.

Kanga
2011-05-02, 12:23

oops, sorry dixie.:angel:i saw this after, i swear.

JAK
2011-05-02, 12:24
Now it will take Donald Trump to single-handedly produce the death certificate.

Kanga
2011-05-02, 12:25
..all by himself

JAK
2011-05-02, 12:53
I still think the cement shoes was a nice touch. Class act.
8Bz9iXernY4

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

JAK
2011-05-02, 13:03
BJlyxe2LC7o

JAK
2011-05-02, 13:48
How the game should be played...
oiTj4zcSpn8

In 1994 Béliveau was offered the position of Governor General of Canada but declined in order to be with his daughter, Hélène, and two grandchildren, Mylene and Magalie; their father, a Quebec policeman, committed suicide when they were five and three.

But very few of us can be like Jean Belliveau. We have to play with what we've got.
l-bHMCUYIOY

NRZrl7D0s6w

eRBKVeDJtoU

Well done Team USA. Thank you.

Sickmont
2011-05-02, 14:04
Turns out Facebook may have played a part as well.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y157/sickmont/230061_10150299132084569_271730554568_9474500_3233 465_n.jpg

Skidsteer
2011-05-02, 14:40
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y157/sickmont/230061_10150299132084569_271730554568_9474500_3233 465_n.jpg

That's awesome.

Big Mac
2011-05-02, 14:42

Bearpaw
2011-05-02, 18:05

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Rockhound
2011-05-02, 19:48
Now it will take Donald Trump to single-handedly produce the death certificate.

Yes "the" birth certificate has been produced. Trump has egg on his face. Just happened a few days ago.

Kanga
2011-05-02, 19:51
personally, while trump looks the asshole, the question begs to be asked, why didn't obama just produce it when it was called for 2 years ago. he said in his speech that now trump can find something important to do with his time. nobody would have had to waste any time at all if the jackass had just gotten it over with in the beginning. what was to hide if he had one? makes no sense.

enviro
2011-05-02, 19:57
10 times in a 9 min 18 second speech.

More numerous "we" "our" and "us".

I didn't take away from this address that he took any credit, other than as CIC to act on the intel and give the order. Nothing out of the ordinary or wrong with that.

In fact, IMO, he gave full credit where it was due.

JAK
2011-05-02, 20:25
Just got back from the polling station, which is at a small church hall about 1/4 mile down the street. Polls close here in 7 minutes. Closed in Newfoundland 30 minutes ago. Close in BC in 4 hours.

It's nice to live in a country where we can vote peacefully, and be reasonably happy regardless of the outcome. Also nice to live in a world without Osama Bin Laden.

Thanks again.

Tin Man
2011-05-02, 20:32
personally, while trump looks the asshole, the question begs to be asked, why didn't obama just produce it when it was called for 2 years ago. he said in his speech that now trump can find something important to do with his time. nobody would have had to waste any time at all if the jackass had just gotten it over with in the beginning. what was to hide if he had one? makes no sense.

he produced the regular short version for the election, but some people would not accept it was real then. it went through a couple of courts and was validated by hospital records customary for the time. most let it go. trump just made an ass out of himself for no reason. the long version required special request to make it public. some will still say it is a fake. we got more important things to worry about, but if someone wants to continue the case, they can keep suing until the supreme court tells them to quit making fools of themselves

Russell
2011-05-02, 20:53

http://media.photobucket.com/image/beating%20a%20dead%20horse/RosaBella75/beating_a_dead_horse.jpg?o=13

GGS
2011-05-02, 21:04
It would have been really interesting if Donald Trump had been president.
I still wouldn't care. The job got done. That is what matters.

I'm with JAK. Glad the guy ordered the job done when the opportunity arose.

GGS
2011-05-02, 21:06

Just read today that the order was given to kill him. The military did not have the option of taking him alive.

Nearly Normal
2011-05-02, 23:31
This is awesome:argh:

Weary
2011-05-02, 23:59
Obama turned over the official public document issued by hawaii, two Years ago. It said he was born in that state, and gave the date and place. Like many states Hawaii issues two certificates, one public, one not public. It's designed to protect private matters. There was no legitimate reason for Obama to produce the lengthier copy.

It was demanded, as near as I can tell, mostly by those that couldn't bring themselves to believe that a black person could be elected president, legitimately, and were searching for evidence to support their predjudices.

Nearly Normal
2011-05-03, 00:55
Smells like dog shit in here.........which one of you fuckers stepped in dog shit?

D'Artagnan
2011-05-03, 00:57
Smells like dog shit in here.........which one of you fuckers stepped in dog shit?

Smells more like bull to me than dog. I could be wrong though. :beer:

Gray Blazer
2011-05-03, 08:49
I can't believe you pulled the race card.

Kanga
2011-05-03, 09:26
seriously. i really don't think it was about race. you do realize he's half white, right? i think it was about his qualifications to actually be president. i still don't think he is qualified.

enviro
2011-05-03, 09:51
I thought Dixie requested the politics stop

Weary
2011-05-03, 10:00
seriously. i really don't think it was about race. you do realize he's half white, right? i think it was about his qualifications to actually be president. i still don't think he is qualified.
The qualifications are pretty simple. You have to be an adult (30 years old, I think), you have to be a natural born citizen of this country, and you have to get the most votes. Which qualification don't you think Obama meets?

J5man
2011-05-03, 10:09
The Navy Seal team is from Va Beach:

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/285281

john pickett
2011-05-03, 10:18
"I think he will have the opportunity to say "I" plenty in 2012 thru 2016."
And I hope it's "I lost. I lost. I lost!"
That's My opinion.:aetsch:

john pickett
2011-05-03, 10:25
Sorry Dixie, I read it too late as well.
Back to hiking.

JAK
2011-05-03, 10:36
Let's all stop the political spining here... take it to a political website.Thought I would bump this up to save Dixi the trouble.

JAK
2011-05-03, 10:37
The Navy Seal team is from Va Beach:

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/285281
This might be a better direction for the thread to take.

Crikey
2011-05-03, 12:54
I like seals. Please do not club them.

dixicritter
2011-05-03, 13:23

But what if they wanna go to the club? :angel:

Tin Man
2011-05-03, 13:24
But what if they wanna go to the club? :angel:

it's okay to take them... as long as you card them :albertein

dixicritter
2011-05-03, 13:25
it's okay to take them... as long as you card them :albertein

Ahhh ok... will remember that. Thanks! :bandit:

Crikey
2011-05-03, 14:05
Spanky says only the boy sealz get in this club:

MonkeyBoy
2011-05-03, 14:35

Ok.....a little joke for you.

This baby seal walks into a club......... :angel:

Crikey
2011-05-03, 14:41
I like clubs. Please do not seal them.

MonkeyBoy
2011-05-03, 15:08
But without sealing my club, it may become waterlogged when I'm clubbing seals.

Rockhound
2011-05-03, 16:04
So the mechanic says to the penguin, "looks like you blew a seal". To which the penguin quickly replies, "No! It's just ice cream. I swear to God."

Rockhound
2011-05-03, 16:33
So I just saw something on TV saying marijuana was growing right outside the compound where Osama was killed. I knew it. Osama is a dirty smelly hippie. I think anyone who smokes pot should be shot in the head and burried at sea right along with their pothead pal. I think this story makes it clear. Anybody who smokes pot is obviously a terrorist and should be dealt with accordingly.

Sickmont
2011-05-03, 16:43
Anybody who smokes pot is obviously a terrorist and should be dealt with accordingly.

Yeah, fuck it, shoot 'em all and let God sort 'em out:laugh:

No, but seriously, i love hippies, they taste like chicken and go great with hot sauce

cool breeze
2011-05-03, 17:46
Yeah, fuck it, shoot 'em all and let God sort 'em out:laugh:

No, but seriously, i love hippies, they taste like chicken and go great with hot sauce

But the seeds get stuck in my teeth.

Two Speed
2011-05-03, 19:16
http://www.greeleytribune.com/article/20110502/NEWS/705029973/1051&ParentProfile=1001

Ray
2011-05-03, 20:00
No, but seriously, i love hippies, they taste like chicken and go great with hot sauceBut how do you clean'em?

Weary
2011-05-04, 11:45
He was the president that put conditions on the billions we give Pakistan. ie. focus troops on Al qaeda and eastern Pakistan not just the Indian border if you still want all that aid. He was the president that had more drone attacks against Al qaeda in Pakistan in one year than during his predecessors entire administration. He was the president that had the fortitude to send in elite forces into Pakistan to kill Bin Laden. He was the president that was not afraid to go after the terrorists "and the countries that harbor them". I remember hearing that quote somewhere.
He was not the president that let Bin Laden slip into Pakistan via a convoy that we had the capability to take out 2 weeks after we invaded Afghanistan or the president that let 2 of Bin Ladens sons escape via airplane a couple weeks after that. He was not the president that was more concerned about maintaining good diplomatic ties with Pakistan rather than eliminating the terrorist threat within it's borders.
Pakistan is and has been terrorism central for over a decade and unfortunately was all but ignored by the Bush administration. Obama had the fortitude and resolve to get the job done. He didn't say "I" enough but I think he will have the opportunity to say "I" plenty in 2012 thru 2016.
An excellent post Rockhound.

JAK
2011-05-04, 12:05
There does seem alot more to this story and other such stories (Libya, Egypt, etc.) than meets the eye. We do alot of fussing over politicians and celebrities, but we don't seem to give enough media attention to billionaires unless they happen to also be politicians or celebrities or dictators. I think we give some of these guys too much privacy. We need to do more to sniff out the money trails. If they are rich and harmless, making all their money selling girl guide cookies or whatever, we should leave them be. But if they are involved in wars and such, in any capacity, even if they are only selling planes and bombs to the good guys, I think we should be a little more nosey, if only because it is our tax dollars, but also because it is inevitably our kids that go off to war. When people are making friends with dictators, we should know why. If dictators, or others, are making billions, we should know how.

It has little to do with partisan politics really. It's just good business. Our business.

Weary
2011-05-04, 12:27
So I just saw something on TV saying marijuana was growing right outside the compound where Osama was killed. I knew it. Osama is a dirty smelly hippie. I think anyone who smokes pot should be shot in the head and burried at sea right along with their pothead pal. I think this story makes it clear. Anybody who smokes pot is obviously a terrorist and should be dealt with accordingly.
This one act will not only get rid of terrorists, it will solve the world's over population problem. Just take it easy on the young pot smokers. I still need my social security checks for another few years.

JAK
2011-05-04, 13:19
Nothing to do with this thread but can't get it out of my mind.
WGoi1MSGu64

Maybe some new lyrics could be written to the same tune.
"Osama is Dead"
etc.

Skidsteer
2011-05-04, 19:06
The first of, I'm sure, many "Hitler reacts to Osama killing" videos. Should be some hilarious ones in the next few weeks. This one is OK.

YsnRKP56oxg