PDA

View Full Version : A new circus

john pickett
2011-05-05, 15:49
I just learned on a facebook post from my sports-loving son the Federal Government is seeking an explanation why the NCAA doesn't have a college football playoff system. I am aghast (if you can't tell). We are following the same trail the Roman Republic followed. A small elite distracts the unwashed (to use Sen. Reids expression) masses with circuses, feeds them with government sponsored cheap bread (Foodstamps?, Medicare-medicaid?)
and drafts their children to go fight wars which aid the elite in their quest for wealth accumulation. We may not have a new draft yet, but a few years ago a couple of far-left wing democrats tried hard to get a new draft started on the grounds the volunteer army doesn't have enough non-minority members.

I'll get down off my soap-box now.
Thanks for the chance to rant, Dixie.

seven
2011-05-05, 15:54
I just learned on a facebook post from my sports-loving son the Federal Government is seeking an explanation why the NCAA doesn't have a college football playoff system. I am aghast (if you can't tell). We are following the same trail the Roman Republic followed. A small elite distracts the unwashed (to use Sen. Reids expression) masses with circuses, feeds them with government sponsored cheap bread (Foodstamps?, Medicare-medicaid?)
and drafts their children to go fight wars which aid the elite in their quest for wealth accumulation. We may not have a new draft yet, but a few years ago a couple of far-left wing democrats tried hard to get a new draft started on the grounds the volunteer army doesn't have enough non-minority members.

What's this have to do about boobs?

shadowmoss
2011-05-05, 16:00
What's this have to do about boobs?

That would be the government, silly.

john pickett
2011-05-05, 17:35
Like Shadowmoss said. They're All in the government.
Oxymoron. "We're from the government and we're here to help."
Big Moron. " Gee, Thanks!"

Weary
2011-05-05, 18:40

An interesting post. The facts are wrong, I think. The ideas silly. Comments about the "unwashed" are common. It's just that I can't find any evidence that Sen. Reid used the expression.

If my suspicions are correct, I'll tend to doubt other alleged "facts," which appear to have been plucked from internet political sites.

But regardless. Government is the people appointed by the President, and confirmed by the Congress people and government is the state governors and Legislatures and the people they choose to manage the government. All the key decisions are made by people elected by guess who, We the people.

If government is the problem, voters are to blame -- voters who make wrong choices, or fail to vote at all. As Pogo famously said, "We have met the enemy and he is us."

JoeyB
2011-05-05, 18:50
senator reid was running his mouth off of the deep end in the months leading up to the last mid term election.

i absolutely do remember him referring to the unwashed masses.

i distrust both parties rather equally, but that clown reid and the former speaker of the house pelosi are by far two of the most despicable politicians this country has had in power since the days of the nixon administration.

well, you can throw barney frank and chris dodd in the mix as well.

Gray Blazer
2011-05-05, 19:02
...the country's in the very best of hands.

JoeyB
2011-05-05, 19:09
...the country's in the very best of hands.

i just wish they'd keep em' out of my pocket.

Weary
2011-05-05, 20:41
senator reid was running his mouth off of the deep end in the months leading up to the last mid term election.

i absolutely do remember him referring to the unwashed masses.

i distrust both parties rather equally, but that clown reid and the former speaker of the house pelosi are by far two of the most despicable politicians this country has had in power since the days of the nixon administration.

well, you can throw barney frank and chris dodd in the mix as well.
Well, Sen. Reid certainly grew up among the "unwashed masses" as did I. He lived in an abandoned gold mine village, after the gold vein had been exhausted. I was 12 or so before my mother borrowed some tools from her father and put in a bath room. I remember it vividly. I took a piece of scrap cast iron pipe, ran a rope through it, and used it as a swing.

The burrs on the pipe cut the rope, causing the pipe to crash down on my head, while I was swinging. It cracked my skull. I've blamed the episode ever since for my dumbness. Think how bright I might have been had my Mom never wanted a bath tub. Talk about unintended consequences.

Skidsteer
2011-05-05, 20:59
UP6qeBPl_HA

Aaaaand this pretty much sums up Mr. Reid for me:

ZmGO_bTgIf4

JoeyB
2011-05-05, 21:30
i'm heading out in the morning to fontana lake for 3-4 days of kayaking and a back pack trip up eagle creek to the AT and back down jenkins ridge.

ol' harry sure won't want to be anywhere near my aromatic azz come monday 'round lunch time.

sheepdog
2011-05-05, 21:35
i'm heading out in the morning to fontana lake for 3-4 days of kayaking and a back pack trip up eagle creek to the AT and back down jenkins ridge.

ol' harry sure won't want to be anywhere near my aromatic azz come monday 'round lunch time.

hahahahahahahahaha

JoeyB
2011-05-05, 21:47
Well, Sen. Reid certainly grew up among the "unwashed masses" as did I. He lived in an abandoned gold mine village, after the gold vein had been exhausted. I was 12 or so before my mother borrowed some tools from her father and put in a bath room. I remember it vividly. I took a piece of scrap cast iron pipe, ran a rope through it, and used it as a swing.

The burrs on the pipe cut the rope, causing the pipe to crash down on my head, while I was swinging. It cracked my skull. I've blamed the episode ever since for my dumbness. Think how bright I might have been had my Mom never wanted a bath tub. Talk about unintended consequences.

wow, your grandad had tools ???

we had to get by with.......
http://s2.postimage.org/tp9489ez9/1286533288959.jpg

:beer:

JAK
2011-05-05, 21:55
Really. Like this is the sudden tipping point that validates a bread and circus analogy?
Baseball, football, basketball, olympics, nascar, boxing, hollywood, and republicans were not enough?

Weary
2011-05-06, 00:03

I take it, John, that neither you nor anyone here, can backup anything serious that you have claimed in this post. That's the tragedy facing our nation. Our nation is suddenly controlled by the ignorant, and the misinformed. .

Nearly Normal
2011-05-06, 01:10
i take it, john, that neither you nor anyone here, can backup anything serious that you have claimed in this post. That's the tragedy facing our nation. Our nation is suddenly controlled by the ignorant, and the misinformed. .

"suddenly"?

sheepdog
2011-05-06, 06:14
"suddenly"?

hahahahahahahahaha

john pickett
2011-05-06, 06:52
Here you go, Weary, You had but to ask.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6479279
The reference to the (dis)Honorable Senator Reid comes from the dedication (maybe last summer) of the congressional visitors center. Senator Reid was captured on tape badmouthing the tourists and visitors to Washington D.C.

Gray Blazer
2011-05-06, 08:53
Our nation is suddenly controlled by the ignorant, and the misinformed. .

... and do-gooders who are gonna help us whether we want it or not.

JAK
2011-05-06, 09:39
This just in...
Superman has renounced his U.S. Citizenship.
You still have Hulk and Superchicken.

Big Mac
2011-05-06, 10:21
Hey, you dipshits, this is NOT a political forum. There are plenty of them out there - go find one.

SGT Rock
2011-05-06, 10:42
Ohh politics. Please please nooo.

Tin Man
2011-05-06, 11:03
7 hours to scotch time... ugh

Hooch
2011-05-06, 11:18
Hey, you dipshits, this is NOT a political forum. There are plenty of them out there - go find one.No kidding. Go play elsewhere with the politics, kiddies.

Weary
2011-05-06, 11:28
Here you go, Weary, You had but to ask.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6479279
The reference to the (dis)Honorable Senator Reid comes from the dedication (maybe last summer) of the congressional visitors center. Senator Reid was captured on tape badmouthing the tourists and visitors to Washington D.C.
You are right John. Reid mentioned smelly tourists, but blamed the summer heat in our nation's capitol. He never mentioned the "unwashed" ("to use Sen. Reids expression") as you claimed. According to FOX News the dedication crowd laughed at Reid's joke.

There is much to complain about the visitor center boondoggle. It cost around three quarters of a billion dollars, a third more than originally projected, and took several years longer than expected to complete. But unwashed visitors were not among the expressed complaints, at least according to Fox News, no particular friend of Sen. Reid.

It's hikers that tend to be unwashed, adverse as most are to the use of soap, not visitors to the capitol.

As for an antitrust investigation, I tend to agree it seems a bit silly. But I don't pretend to know the laws involved. I don't know what that Republican Teddy Roosevelt might have required when he insisted that Congress enact those antitrust laws.

Hooch
2011-05-06, 12:00
Ohh politics. Please please nooo.Weary, see this? This means you, too, grampy.

You are right John. Reid mentioned smelly tourists, but blamed the summer heat in our nation's capitol. He never mentioned the "unwashed" ("to use Sen. Reids expression") as you claimed. According to FOX News the dedication crowd laughed at Reid's joke.

There is much to complain about the visitor center boondoggle. It cost around three quarters of a billion dollars, a third more than originally projected, and took several years longer than expected to complete. But unwashed visitors were not among the expressed complaints, at least according to Fox News, no particular friend of Sen. Reid.

It's hikers that tend to be unwashed, adverse as most are to the use of soap, not visitors to the capitol.

As for an antitrust investigation, I tend to agree it seems a bit silly. But I don't pretend to know the laws involved. I don't know what that Republican Teddy Roosevelt might have required when he insisted that Congress enact those antitrust laws.

Weary
2011-05-06, 12:17
Weary, see this? This means you, too, grampy.
No politics in my post. Just history. Unless you think this is too political: "It's hikers that tend to be unwashed, adverse as most are to the use of soap, not visitors to the capitol."

Gray Blazer
2011-05-06, 12:28
No politics in my post. Just history. Unless you think this is too political: "It's hikers that tend to be unwashed, adverse as most are to the use of soap, not visitors to the capitol."

I got it. Pretty funny.

Big Mac
2011-05-06, 12:33

Well you DID say capitol. :aetsch:

saimyoji
2011-05-06, 16:19
7 hours to scotch time... ugh

its 5:00 somewhere. just set your computer time to the Azores. :beer::beer:

Tin Man
2011-05-06, 17:32
its 5:00 somewhere. just set your computer time to the Azores. :beer::beer:

not today, but if I leave now, I should be well into friday inebriation by 5pm

Hooch
2011-05-06, 18:08
Well you DID say capitol. :aetsch:And Senator. :aetsch:

john pickett
2011-05-06, 21:26
"Ohh politics. Please please nooo"
AyeAye Sir.

Nearly Normal
2011-05-07, 02:42
Ohh politics. Please please nooo.

I tried, but I couldn't resist the "suddenly".
I will try mo betta.

I won't lie, MB put me up to it.

:ahhhhh:

Tin Man
2011-05-07, 02:52
I tried, but I couldn't resist the "suddenly".
I will try mo betta.

I won't lie, MB put me up to it.

:ahhhhh:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSgkK7NIDWUbIk7kNWIsG_Q2Af8v5nvc EZRgvEDKIDy7WdfTWPkPg

Gray Blazer
2011-05-08, 02:08
Happy Mother's Day, mother phuckers. How's Damasscus? Skid's, can you still feel your fave?

Rockhound
2011-05-09, 16:08
I think our govt. Should stop wasting taxpayers time and tax money concerning themselves with anything sports related.

Weary
2011-05-09, 17:04
I think our govt. Should stop wasting taxpayers time and tax money concerning themselves with anything sports related.
Commercial sports are multi-billion dollar businesses, subject to the same laws as other businesses. College sports are a bit more nebulous, but are certainly a business, collecting multi million dollar gate fees, which are distributed to paying its players and coaches. The player payments are called scholarships, but very few of the players ever graduate. Major college sports, at least on teams that regularly win championships, mostly serve as training teams for the professionals.

Then there are trails. Is hiking a sport? Millions are spent annually keeping trails in shape and paying national park and national forest rangers. Is the current competitions to set new hiking speed records a sport? If not, what would you call them?

SolarBronco
2011-05-09, 18:04
As a Boise State Fan, I am in favor of a playoff. The reason that the Govt is involved is because of the BILLIONS that the Bowl Game committes keep every year. All other sports have a playoof, and the revenue goes to the schools that are in the playoff games. The Fiesta bowl just got busted for pulling all kinds of crazy stuff, and keeping multi milliuons each year, paying out to the commitee members who work one month per year.

Little Schools like Boise State can go undefeated, and still never be invited to a national championship game, because those spots go to BCS schools (bigger schools), even though Boise beats these bigger schools in the regular season games. The bigger schools can refuse to play little schools during the regular season, and then have the balls to make fun of their strength of schedule. Have cake and eat!!

There is alot of curruption in the BCS and the NCAA. This is an antitrust matter, just like Microsoft was.

mudhead
2011-05-09, 18:41
Agree.

How come Boise State isn't in the Pac 10? 12? They scared?

SolarBronco
2011-05-09, 19:39
Well, if it were up to us, we would be. You have to be invited, and they don't like lil old BSU beating their teams. We owned Oregon and Oregon State.

john pickett
2011-05-09, 20:06
Sarge, I apologise for starting this thread. My bad. I'll stick to hiking and making my own stove from now on.

john pickett
2011-05-09, 20:07
Subjects that is