PDA

View Full Version : Turtle Mountain Fog and Rain

JAK
2011-05-07, 21:53
"I was in love with the whole world and all that lived in its rainy arms. "
Louise Erdrich (Turtle Mountain Chippewa)

Took the girls up Turtle Mountain today. Expecting rain but not too cold for May. The gate was open so we were able to drive in as far as the ATV bridge between Robin Hood and Little John Lakes.Two fishermen were there, and one had caught a land-locked salmon. They thought me odd looking in my shorts, or perhaps it was the young girls with me, but they confirmed it was the trail to Turtle Mountain. We spoke briefly about the state of repair of the bridge, and the water level.

The girls cross the bridge with their hiking staves. Though these two were already well aquainted, and travelling the same way, I told them the story of how Robin Hood and Little John met. They were not all that interested, as 11 year olds very seldom are in anything a parent has to say. So I settled in, and we had a great hike.

The trail was a rocky rain torn ATV trail, and the day was warm and calling for rain. There were many places we had to skirt around ponds through the sheep laurel, or deeper into the spruce and pine. The girls made better time than I expected and so we made the 9km to the summit in 2hours 15min, with a net elevation gain of a mighty 220m. We kept out stop at the summit short to avoid elevation sickness, and because it had started to rain. We took a few pictures of Turtle Lake below, but could not make out the other lakes; Labrador, Sherwood, and Hasty. I pitched the tarp and laid out wool blankets and we had a quick cold lunch. I neglected to bring up some birch bark and spruce sticks from down below. The stunted trees on the summit offered no decent tinder in the fog and rain of spring. On a clear day you can see the Bay of Fundy about 30km to the south, but today the fog was thick on the coast, and even where we were was misty all around, with clearings here and there to make out a few surrounding hills. Mount Champlain in the distance, with its small antenae farm visible.

The girls were still in great spirits on the hike back down the hill. We got some photographs of moose tracks and a partridge on the way up, some more pictures of the girls and myself on the way back down. Another day to remember. 5.25 hours for the 18km round trip. We celebrated with supper at the truck stop formerly known as Tick's Place in Welsford, now called Georgette's Diner.

Cheers all.

Jamie Kennedy

sheepdog
2011-05-08, 06:06
Nice report JAK

Sierra Echo
2011-05-08, 08:23
Well, lets see the pictures~!

JAK
2011-05-08, 11:38
Upload to Youtube in progress. Mother's Day present.

JAK
2011-05-08, 13:24
-WDfbEtX0Dg

Sierra Echo
2011-05-08, 15:52
Looks like yall had a good time~!

JAK
2011-05-11, 12:36
Thanks Sierra Echo.

Link enabled again.

JoeyB
2011-05-11, 18:01
i gotta say, that was a very cool movie.

JAK
2011-05-11, 18:31
Thanks. It came together by accident. I just downloaded all the pictures and videos off the camera into a single folder, and then used "Windows Live Movie Maker" to make the movie. I didn't bother resorting the pictures and videos, so the videos automatically came at the end even if they were taken before the pictures. I added the music at the beginning, and it just happened to transition perfectly with Margaret's introduction in the first video. The funny thing was that I didn't even know she was taking the video or even remembered the camera at that point, as you can overhear if your volume is loud enough. I'll try this same format again on the next hike.

Bearpaw
2011-05-11, 19:47
That really is great stuff. Time outdoors is usually pretty good. Time with family makes it even better.