PDA

View Full Version : the bomber

chief
2003-06-03, 13:07
When I hiked the AT in 2000, everyone was talking about Eric Rudolph. Most of us saw wanted posters in towns along the trail and a few even ran into FBI agents searching for him (they said). I think the consensus was that he was long gone from NC or dead. Some joked about finding him and collecting that million bucks!

I was very surprised to hear he had been captured and only around 30 miles from the AT. Wow, somebody's been hiding him! He looked way too good to have spent much time in the woods.

He ain't gonna look so good on death row!

cldphoto
2003-06-03, 17:35
Since I grew up in Atlanta, I am ecstatic that he was brought in. While the search was on, I spent a lot of time around Murphy, Highlands, and generally all over the North Carolina mountains. No matter how much fun I was having, or no matter how tired I got hiking, I would always have a nagging concern that I would bump into this guy in the middle of nowhere.

One less danger on the trail now, thankfully.

mountaintroll
2003-06-11, 18:11
Assuming he's guilty. He may have decided that what happened to Richard Jewell meant that he couldn't possibly get a fair trial, so the best thing to do was head for the hills. Yes he's a nutball, but it's not yet been proven in court he's the right nutball. Innocent until proven guilty is still the law.

cldphoto
2003-06-11, 23:34
Mayhap. But there is more than the scanty evidence here to link Rudolph to the bombings, such as his truck at the scene of the B'ham bombing, the materials found in the bombs matching materials in his locker; his large black powder pourchase, etc.

Speaking of Richard Jewell, slightly humorous anecdote: I used to work at Sears in Atlanta to pay the bills in law school. When I was working the hardware counter, in comes Richard Jewell with several hundred dollars' worth of tools. Of course, everyone recognized him. While my colleagues all left the counter to talk with him and try to get his autograph (classy), I just stood there and rang up the tools (got a nice commission off them, too). When it came time to pay, it was like a scene out of the Visa check card commercial: he wanted to pay with a check, and I had to check his ID and copy all the pertinent information down.

chief
2003-06-12, 01:50
certainly, innocent until proven guilty and if they can't prove it beyond a reasonable doubt, he should walk. however, none of that precludes opinion nor the expression thereof.

cldphoto
2003-06-16, 19:21
p.s. I am a prosecuting attorney for the federal government. I also used to serve as a part-time magistrate judge. I know the law. As Chief notes, I am entitled to an opinion.

ANY way -- anyone have a good hike this weekend? I sure did -- am still worn out from pouring on the speed to get out of a canyon before sunset!

mountaintroll
2003-06-16, 20:47
I'm not denying anyone their right to an opinion. And there's a very good chance he IS guilty. But I've seen so many cases of "guilt by accusation" and "trial by media" that I'm automatically sceptical of ANY "official" statement.

chief
2003-06-16, 21:58
Originally posted by cldphoto
ANY way -- anyone have a good hike this weekend? I sure did -- am still worn out from pouring on the speed to get out of a canyon before sunset!

No i didn't! i attended a wedding in tennessee this weekend, but the sight of those mountains sure made me wish i were sweating from hiking instead of cooking in that monkey suit. now the bride and groom are honeymooning in alaska and i'm back home in flat, lower alabama. taint right!

Sgathak
2003-06-17, 02:37
I didnt get a good hike in either. :(

I was unfotunatly attending my grandfather funeral... Which was bad enough but he was buried in Mass. and I was desperatly itching to go for a nice long hike through that thick wooded terrain. (its so different from the woods here in CO) Were the situation different I probably would have had a merry time trapsing through the dark forest.

Ah well.

Ill probably hit the hills this week sometime... I need to hone my woods skills as an employment position as a survival instructor seems to have come up recently. :)

cldphoto
2003-06-17, 16:10
Originally posted by Sgathak
Ill probably hit the hills this week sometime... I need to hone my woods skills as an employment position as a survival instructor seems to have come up recently. :)

Sorry to hear about your grandfather. Good luck snagging the instructor job -- that sounds right up your alley.

cldphoto
2003-06-17, 16:41
Originally posted by mountaintroll
I'm not denying anyone their right to an opinion. And there's a very good chance he IS guilty. But I've seen so many cases of "guilt by accusation" and "trial by media" that I'm automatically sceptical of ANY "official" statement.

Fair enough. I'll be very curious to see how this case washes out. I've done some work with defense attorneys in federal court; I know the defense will have its work cut out for it for this case. If he is guilty of committing the bombings, and if has any co-conspirators, he would be wise to try and strike a deal to avoid the death penalty. If he's convicted, I think the death penalty would unfortunately be a no-brainer (I'm not the biggest fan of capital punishment).

I am fascinated by how he was able to get by for so long. On the AP wire story about his main campsite, the byline says "Fires Creek, NC," which is a tiny town adjacent to a large wildlife management area east of Murphy. The story says the main campsite was 700' above and 1/2 mile away from the nearest FS road, and approximately 10 miles from Murphy. The same story also says he had a more temporary site near the Murphy Wal-Mart and high school. According to prison guards who talked to him, for the first four months he ate raw salamanders and acorns because he was afraid to light a fire. After that, he started foraging and/or stealing food. I doubt I would have done as well after 5 years.

foo
2003-06-26, 16:18
Does anyone have any info on the specific survival skills that Rudolph used to elude law enforcement for 5 years?

What is the best article on this subject?

Sgathak
2003-06-26, 17:12
Why? Planning on going into hiding?:D

There are alot of places that teach good survival skills.

From what I gather he used a combination of primative skills, and some half way decent SERE techniques.

Hmmmm ... *Eric Rudolph School of Survival*... catchy title.

foo
2003-06-26, 17:49
What places teach good survival/SERE techniques? I would love to get something as close as possible to military-grade SERE.

cldphoto
2003-06-26, 19:55
Outward Bound is one. Those guys are everywhere. Also, I turned up a plethora of places just by doing a Google search for "survival school."

Sgathak
2003-06-26, 22:41
lots of good survival schools... as for SERE... well... enlist and take the school :)

There are a few places that teach good SERE type stuff, but unless you have a need for it, I dont feel comfortable desimminating that information... especially over open channels.

When it comes to general survival, check out BOSS, Tom Brown Jr, Cody Lundin aka "Abodude", Chris Janowski, Peter Kummerfeldt, "Mountain Mel", etc.

Just do a google on any of the names listed.

foo
2003-06-27, 11:13
Outward Bound is definitely not military-style SERE. Finding a place that calls itself a "survival school" is easy. Finding a place that gives hardcore instruction is hard.

Sgathak
2003-06-27, 15:27
Are you military? LEO? Private Security? Bodyguard? NGO Sec.?

What hostile forces do you need to contend with that would put you into a SERE Situation?

Are you looking for techniques for if the SHTF or TEOTWAWKI? If so, the above listed instructors may help you figure out a few things.

If you are Mil, LEO, Bodyguard, etc and would like a few decent schools to contact, Ill help you out in private message.

However, I gotta admit... You asking about what techniques a suspected bomber used to allude authorities for 5 years, and where you can learn the same info... Well... has me a little creeped out.

cldphoto
2003-06-30, 16:58
Originally posted by foo
Outward Bound is definitely not military-style SERE. Finding a place that calls itself a "survival school" is easy. Finding a place that gives hardcore instruction is hard.

OK, you're creeping me out a bit as well. SERE = survival, escape, resistance, evasion (or some order close to that). I can understand why you would want instruction in survval in order to live off the land.

However, SERE schools also teach techniques such as resisting interrogation and/or torture, escaping from detention and/or imprisonment, and evading apprehension fom tracking parties, military patrols, and law enforcement. If you worked as an intelligence asset, a combat or combat support pilot, or an insurgent agent, you would get instruction as part of your training.

If you're not any of these things, I can't imagine any legitimate purpose this training would serve for a civilian. I can imagine several reasons why you'd want it, but all of them involve criminal activity.

Care to share your motivation?

Lone Wolf
2003-06-30, 17:42
Maybe he's getting ready for when and if the next liberal demonrat gets elected president. The borders will be wide open. Al queda will be everywhere. It's bad now. The future doesn't look good.

foo
2003-06-30, 17:56
...a lot of people that don't deserve to be killed or imprisoned (e.g., the 13-15 year old kids in Guantanamo Bay and the thousands of people in jail or on death row who would be proved innocent if only adequate DNA testing were available) so I just want to be prepared.

chief
2003-06-30, 19:03
hehe, this topic sure has taken a turn!

Sgathak
2003-06-30, 21:16
sing along with me now...

"Its the ennnddd of the wooorld as we know it! Its the ennnddd of the wooorld as we know it! and I feeeelll Fiiinnnnnneeeeeee"

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

chief
2003-06-30, 22:00
a little granola for my taste, but another good GA band.