PDA

View Full Version : A Thread About Hiking

Gray Blazer
2011-05-12, 08:45
My son and future daughter-in-law and I go hiking every summer. We usually
go somewhere on the AT south of VA. I like the mountain summits. They like the streams and waterfalls.

My question to all of you is ... do you have a suggestion of a week long hike somewhere other than the AT in NC/TN? Thanks in advance.

jrwiesz
2011-05-12, 08:57
I believe the MST is in NC isn't it?

General
2011-05-12, 09:22
art loeb trail, parts are on the same path as the mountains to sea trail and some is on alternate trails.

MonkeyBoy
2011-05-12, 09:31
What's this "hiking" of which you speak???

Gray Blazer
2011-05-12, 09:50
What's this "hiking" of which you speak???

I do not think it means what you think it means.

JoeyB
2011-05-12, 10:05
this may sound like a silly answer but,
i regularly do multi day hikes in the Smokies.

lately they've been in conjunction with kayaking on fontana and climbing up all of the routes to the AT and over into the cades cove area and back up and over another route.

another favorite area is the big creek area.
up baxter creek to sterling then west out to numerous routes heading towards the AT, then over to cammerer, down into the greenbriar area etc....

i use a few manways though to connect some of the routes.
new maps don't show those.

the joyce kilmer forest has a huge amount of very seldomly hiked trails that are more akin to off trail hiking than some of the trails in the Smokies.
never tried to create a week long loop over there though.

Gray Blazer
2011-05-12, 10:37
this may sound like a silly answer but,
i regularly do multi day hikes in the Smokies.

lately they've been in conjunction with kayaking on fontana and climbing up all of the routes to the AT and over into the cades cove area and back up and over another route.

another favorite area is the big creek area.
up baxter creek to sterling then west out to numerous routes heading towards the AT, then over to cammerer, down into the greenbriar area etc....

i use a few manways though to connect some of the routes.
new maps don't show those.

the joyce kilmer forest has a huge amount of very seldomly hiked trails that are more akin to off trail hiking than some of the trails in the Smokies.
never tried to create a week long loop over there though.

We've done that Big Creek circuit you were talking about. That certainly fits the bill of waterfalls and summits.

Joyce Kilmer sounds intriguing. We usually park in one place and hike in a few days and hike back to the car so it doesn't have to be a loop. The Blacks sound fun. Doesn't the MST go over the Blacks?

Hikerhead
2011-05-12, 14:10
We've done that Big Creek circuit you were talking about. That certainly fits the bill of waterfalls and summits.

Joyce Kilmer sounds intriguing. We usually park in one place and hike in a few days and hike back to the car so it doesn't have to be a loop. The Blacks sound fun. Doesn't the MST go over the Blacks?

Foot Hills Trail in SC/NC. 77 Miles. Lots of water every day. Maybe one MAJOR climb of sorts going up Sassafrass Mtn, Highest Point in SC.

Weary
2011-05-12, 14:18
It's a bit difficult to get there, but about the finest week-long hike on the AT is the first half of the so called "100-mile-wilderness." Between Monson and the Jo Mary campground road lies beautiful open ridglines and summits, and some of the best waterfalls seen on the trail, including the Gulf Hagas canyon.

Crikey
2011-05-12, 14:28
art loeb trail, parts are on the same path as the mountains to sea trail and some is on alternate trails.

Seconded. You'll get your mountaintops and your waterfalls. Just make sure to get a map and brush up on orienteering skills. You can make loops with other trails too.

http://www.hikewnc.info/trailheads/pisgah/longdistance/artloeb.html

Crikey
2011-05-12, 14:34
Doesn't the MST go over the Blacks?

Yes, section 9.

http://www.ncmst.org/

Gray Blazer
2011-05-12, 15:04
Foot Hills Trail in SC/NC. 77 Miles. Lots of water every day. Maybe one MAJOR climb of sorts going up Sassafrass Mtn, Highest Point in SC.

I know foothills trail is awesome. I want to be in NC where it's a little cooler, at least at night.

Gray Blazer
2011-05-12, 15:07
It's a bit difficult to get there, but about the finest week-long hike on the AT is the first half of the so called "100-mile-wilderness." Between Monson and the Jo Mary campground road lies beautiful open ridglines and summits, and some of the best waterfalls seen on the trail, including the Gulf Hagas canyon.

I'm gonna do that one day. We need to stay a little closer to FL. That's what's nice about NC/TN. You can get there in about 10 hours from here and the elevations make it a lot cooler than FL.

Where would be a good place to start/park on the MST and do the Blacks?

Gray Blazer
2011-05-12, 15:15
Sherrill, thanks for the links.

Gray Blazer
2011-05-12, 15:20
The Art Loeb Trail looks pretty awesome. I'm familiar with that area near the Davidson River. My parents used to take us camping at White Pines and we used to go to Sliding Rock all the time.

Crikey
2011-05-12, 15:43
I've scraped my butt hundreds of times down Sliding Rock.

Gray Blazer
2011-05-12, 15:49
I'm liking that Art Loeb Trail. Lots of water? I'll check back later.

SGT Rock
2011-05-12, 18:25
Just got back from taking two of my work friends on their first ever overnight backpacking trip. LeCont was spectacular and the weather could not have been any better.

JoeyB
2011-05-12, 19:44
Yes, section 9.

yeah, thanks for getting that info to him.

i've been out paddling upper tellico lake and citico creek all day.
i forgot how crystal clear the waters of that creek are.
ate lunch today by a small pool, that had 5 of the biggest dang trout i've ever seen !!!

http://s3.postimage.org/496g8cy5r/DSCF4398.jpg

http://s3.postimage.org/t2g3k364e/DSCF4405.jpg

Skidsteer
2011-05-12, 21:19
I'm liking that Art Loeb Trail. Lots of water? I'll check back later.

No, not exactly. You need to pay attention to water sources.

I'd get with Roots and Gungho for up-to-date info. They live right next to it.

Bearpaw
2011-05-12, 23:07
My son and future daughter-in-law and I go hiking every summer. We usually
go somewhere on the AT south of VA. I like the mountain summits. They like the streams and waterfalls.

My question to all of you is ... do you have a suggestion of a week long hike somewhere other than the AT in NC/TN? Thanks in advance.

I know foothills trail is awesome. I want to be in NC where it's a little cooler, at least at night.

Drive the extra couple hours to Damascus and hike the Iron Mountain Trail/AT loop through Grayson Highlands back toward Damascus. Blue blaze along the Creeper Trail the last 11 miles into town instead of taking the ups and down with no views along the AT.

Great cooler weather. Secluded hiking along the IMT. Great views through Grayson Highlands and the chance to bag Mt. Rogers, the VA high point. It's a loop every hiker should walk. About 70 miles with plenty of blueblaze options in the Highlands.

I posted trip reports for when I did the loop last year.

Grayson Highlands/Creeper Trail (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19269)

Iron Mountain Trail (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19270)

Gray Blazer
2011-05-12, 23:10
Just got back from taking two of my work friends on their first ever overnight backpacking trip. LeCont was spectacular and the weather could not have been any better.

Did you go up the Alum Caves Bluff Trail? My Dad took our family from New Found to the Boulevard and was planning on us staying at the Lodge. He didn't know you needed reservations so we ended continuing down the Alum Trail. I was like eight. Made for a long day.

One of the trails I'm considering for this summer is BMT through the Smokies.
Might have to get one of your guides.

Gray Blazer
2011-05-12, 23:14
Drive the extra couple hours to Damascus and hike the Iron Mountain Trail/AT loop through Grayson Highlands back toward Damascus. Blue blaze along the Creeper Trail the last 11 miles into town instead of taking the ups and down with no views along the AT.

Great cooler weather. Secluded hiking along the IMT. Great views through Grayson Highlands and the chance to bag Mt. Rogers, the VA high point. It's a loop every hiker should walk. About 70 miles with plenty of blueblaze options in the Highlands.

I posted trip reports for when I did the loop last year.

Grayson Highlands/Creeper Trail (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19269)

Iron Mountain Trail (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19270)

Creeper is beautiful. My son has never been to Grayson. Definitely a possibility.

SGT Rock
2011-05-13, 04:25
Did you go up the Alum Caves Bluff Trail? My Dad took our family from New Found to the Boulevard and was planning on us staying at the Lodge. He didn't know you needed reservations so we ended continuing down the Alum Trail. I was like eight. Made for a long day.

One of the trails I'm considering for this summer is BMT through the Smokies.
Might have to get one of your guides.

Yep. We went out the AT then down to Kephart Shelter and stayed there the first night, the shelter wasn't bad. The next day we went up to the AT using the Long Grassy Trail and the Dry Sluice Gap Trail which was not a bad climb at all. Then we stopped at Charlie's Bunion and had lunch where I ran into a guy that had just finished a BMT thru-hike and finished doing a section of the AT he had to skip on his sobo thru-hike and was now thinking of going on to do the MST.

We then headed down the AT to the Boulevard Trail and walked it out to LeCont - Stunning. While waiting for my friends to catch up I went out to Myrtle Point which is worth the walk on a clear day. Then we stayed the second night at LeCont Shelter. We finished out by walking down the Alum Bluff Cave Trail, which again was spectacular but full of day hikers.

ed bell
2011-05-14, 00:59
LeConte....what a great place! I've stayed in the shelter twice. Got lucky to be able to make it up there on one trip in Jan/Feb and Alum Cave was an icy nightmare on the way down...ah the memories. What a cool place to take rookies...

warraghiyagey
2011-05-14, 09:26
Wow, you guys really are talking about hiking. . . weird. . .

Bearpaw
2011-05-15, 20:03
Wow, you guys really are talking about hiking. . . weird. . .

Well, every site has its troublemakers. We're just rebels I guess.

Hog On Ice
2011-05-15, 22:38
hey Bearpaw have you hiked the Art Leob trail yet?

Bearpaw
2011-05-16, 00:04
hey Bearpaw have you hiked the Art Leob trail yet?

Nope. Only heard bits about it. I've been whittling down longer trails.

Now I have to walk some shorter ones, like the Art Loeb, Chattooga River, Duncan Ridge, and so on.

jrwiesz
2011-05-16, 06:40
Do you stop to whittle?

General
2011-05-16, 10:20
chattooga river trail is cool. take your fishin' pole. trout every night.

SGT Rock
2011-05-16, 12:39
chattooga river trail is cool. take your fishin' pole. trout every night.

not with my fishing skills.

Hog On Ice
2011-05-16, 14:39
no problem: 1/4 stick and a dipnet

Gray Blazer
2011-05-16, 15:42
Yes, section 9.

Does the MST mostly follow the BRP near Mt Mitchell?

Does anyone know some fun hikes up Mt Mitchell?

General
2011-05-16, 16:13
no problem: 1/4 stick and a dipnet

telephone generator is a little quieter

Hog On Ice
2011-05-16, 16:14
Does the MST mostly follow the BRP near Mt Mitchell?

Does anyone know some fun hikes up Mt Mitchell?

well there is always the Black Mountain Crest Tr. - I don't know if _I_ would call it fun but some people like it

General
2011-05-16, 16:15

spring lizzards, trout can't resist

Bearpaw
2011-05-16, 18:36
Do you stop to whittle?

Actually I'm one of those kids who runs with cutlery.

Big Mac
2011-05-16, 19:28
Actually I'm one of those kids who runs with cutlery.

Dammit, I'm drinkin' here - don't say funny stuff like that. I might ruin my Crackberry.

Gray Blazer
2011-05-16, 22:32
Supposed to get down to 49 tomorrow in G-ville FL. Tieing a 1974 record. Dam Global Warming!

Gray Blazer
2011-05-16, 22:33
I might ruin my Crackberry.

Is that like Count Chocula?

Hog On Ice
2011-05-16, 22:47
its worse - it rots your brain - not just your teeth

john pickett
2011-05-17, 09:27
"not with my fishing skills."
Sarge, don't waste your time with a flyrod. Get a spinning or spincast rod and dig worms or carry crickets. Live bait is for those who wish to eat trout, not merely admire them.

Footslogger
2011-05-17, 09:45

============

I thought that's what M-80's and Cherry Bombs were for ....just sayin' :albertein

'Slogger

john pickett
2011-05-17, 10:33
"I thought that's what M-80's and Cherry Bombs were for"
Now you're talking Deep South

Crikey
2011-05-17, 10:44
Now you're talking Deep South

No, this IS Deep South.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn8EQ0azXpQ

General
2011-05-17, 10:57
"they think i'm crazy but they cain't hep but like me."

"typhoid?" "naw, water snakes mostly."

i know people like that.

Gray Blazer
2011-06-01, 13:27
Getting ready to go in a coupla weeks. Haven't decided where yet. I'm not gonna be like Nature Boy and tell people xactly where I'm gonna be cuz I know of a few that would give me the NB treatment if they found me.

Any more suggestions? Thinking maybe Art Loeb connecting with Shining Rock Wilderness.