PDA

View Full Version : Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore

jrwiesz
2011-05-16, 07:00
I am planning 5-6 day hike of the lake shore this week; heading out after Tuesdays golf league, and want to make it back for next weeks golf.

OK dog, here's your chance to help me out with you wit and wisdom of the area.

Any suggestions?

And Warry, I know the inseam.

sheepdog
2011-05-16, 16:17
It's a beautiful hike. If it is a choice between 5-6 days I might go with 6, just because it's so scenic that you might just want to stop for a while and look at the water. You are supposed to stay at the campsites that you designate before hand. I hate being hemmed in like that so I did stealth camp one night. Bring a water bucket. Water is often at the bottom of a 200 foot sand dune and going up and down once is enough.

This is one of my all time favorite hikes. I plan on doing it every other year or so.

sheepdog
2011-05-16, 16:18
Bring warm stuff. That wind off lake Superior can be chilly.
I'm hitting North Manitou Island this weekend. We got to get together and hike sometime.

warraghiyagey
2011-05-16, 16:50
And Warry, I know the inseam.

So what is it? . . :albertein

jrwiesz
2011-05-17, 13:07
L. minora, L. majora:-) and the Santa Maria!

Hog On Ice
2011-05-17, 15:42
+1 for jrweisz

jrwiesz
2011-05-17, 17:26
+1 for jrweisz

That doesn't mean we gotta get all warm an fuzzy, does it?

Hog On Ice
2011-05-17, 19:25
just remember it only takes 1 oh shit to wipe out 1000 attaboys

sheepdog
2011-05-23, 21:11
so how was the Pictured Rocks hike??

jrwiesz
2011-05-25, 09:58
Fantastic place. Ideal place to day hike out of a base camp.

Real trail "magic", on my hike from Chapel Rock to Mosquito beach; walking along, there in the middle of the trail, unopened, not wet, or full of sand, was a red/white peppermint candy that someone lost out of their pocket/pack. Made a most enjoyable hike, even more "magic"!

I'm ready to go back. PM me when you get time. We gotta get together and hike some where, even if it's just a mid week few days.

GGS
2011-05-25, 12:47
I'd like to hike Pictured Rocks. Unfortunately they won't allow my two best hiking buddies. :-( Same with the Manitou Islands, Isle Royale, etc.

jrwiesz
2011-05-25, 14:09
There are places in the park they are allowed; however, no trails in the wilderness/backcountry areas allow pets.

Changes have taken place within the last few years. And it appears, for the better.

It is my favorite "sandbox", to play in.

GGS
2011-05-26, 12:03
...however, no trails in the wilderness/backcountry areas allow pets.

'Xactly! So if I car camp with my best buds I'm fine. But I can't take them on a hike, or backpack the backcountry. Sux.

jrwiesz
2011-05-26, 14:28
Perhaps when your best buds become contributing members, they will be afforded more liberties.

Nearly Normal
2011-05-26, 14:46
My best buds always go with me.

sheepdog
2011-05-29, 20:22
Pictured Rocks could be a very scary place with dogs. They better be under control or they may go over the cliff. There would be no getting them back for miles if they survived the 200ft fall.

jrwiesz
2011-05-29, 20:36
I was going to upload some pix, but, I was unable.

Some message about security error?

ed bell
2011-05-29, 20:46
Ask SGT. Rock or dixicritter, I'm sure they would offer some help if they can...

sheepdog
2011-05-29, 20:47
How many days did you spend on the trail??

jrwiesz
2011-05-29, 22:19
I thought I would share some of the photos from previous week(May 19-23).

I hiked the Chapel falls/rock loop to Mosquito beach and back to the parking area(8-10mi day hike).

Spent three nights at the Little Beaver Lake car camp; did day hike form there to Chapel Rock and back one day10-12mi day hike). So I have maybe 6-7 miles of the NCT/Lakeshore trail.

Along with a bit of the side trails and interpretive loops. The Beaver Basin Wilderness area is the bomb; Twelve Mile Beach, the sand crunches like snow at 10 degrees.

Some hiking, some resting, some thunderstorms, it was all good UP there.

sheepdog
2011-05-29, 22:24
I thought I would share some of the photos from previous week(May 19-23).

I hiked the Chapel falls/rock loop to Mosquito beach and back to the parking area(8-10mi day hike).

Spent three nights at the Little Beaver Lake car camp; did day hike form there to Chapel Rock and back one day10-12mi day hike). So I have maybe 6-7 miles of the NCT/Lakeshore trail.

Along with a bit of the side trails and interpretive loops. The Beaver Basin Wilderness area is the bomb; Twelve Mile Beach, the sand crunches like snow at 10 degrees.

Some hiking, some resting, some thunderstorms, it was all good UP there.

You betcha by golly eh!!
Nice pics.

ed bell
2011-05-29, 22:26
Cool pictures...any of those cliffs good for jumping off into the water for a swim?

I was struck by the lack of green this late in the year....shows what I know about UP there..

jrwiesz
2011-05-29, 22:49
Cool pictures...any of those cliffs good for jumping off into the water for a swim?

I was struck by the lack of green this late in the year....shows what I know about UP there..

There were a few places where it may be possible; however, many of the places along the cliffs are undercut.

Plenty of warnings of the dangers of getting too close to the edge.

I did notice places that did have potential, but, I'm near certain, it would be frowned upon.

Perhaps, a sheepdog would know?

jrwiesz
2011-05-29, 23:14
May as well put UP more.

sheepdog
2011-05-30, 09:20

I don't know of any places for cliff jumping on the trail. There is a lot of under cutting and climbing back up would be almost impossible. Also the water is so clear it's hard to tell if it's 20 feet deep or 3 feet deep. There is a good spot at Marquette where you can jump from some smaller cliffs (about 25-35 feet). The first time I did it it freaked me out. You look down and it looked like you where going to hit the rocks under the water. They were under about 25 feet of water so you didn't come close. It is also very cold.

We just got leaves on our trees last week. My tulips are still blooming. the redbud trees are blooming and the lilacs are just starting too. This spring is a little later than normal.

jrwiesz
2011-05-30, 09:37
Sometimes we're just slow in MI.

ed bell, check out the thread in WB on Pict. Rocks.

swash posted a link to You tube that shows a place near Chapel beach that has a jumper.

GGS
2011-05-30, 15:52
Pictured Rocks could be a very scary place with dogs. They better be under control or they may go over the cliff. There would be no getting them back for miles if they survived the 200ft fall.

In "populated" backcountry areas that I have hiked before (Porcupine Wilderness State Park, etc) I keep the labs leashed out of courtesy to the other hikers. Which would also keep them away from cliffs. ;-)

I suspect the whole "no dogs allowed" thing at Pictured Rocks came from problem pets that were NOT leashed.

sheepdog
2011-05-30, 16:02
In "populated" backcountry areas that I have hiked before (Porcupine Wilderness State Park, etc) I keep the labs leashed out of courtesy to the other hikers. Which would also keep them away from cliffs. ;-)

I suspect the whole "no dogs allowed" thing at Pictured Rocks came from problem pets that were NOT leashed.

kind of a whole national parks philosophy here in Mich. Can't take them to any of the Islands either.

sheepdog
2011-05-30, 16:09
Hey Jim, give me a link to that Isle Royal message board, will ya?

jrwiesz
2011-05-30, 16:19
I think it is a combination of factors; Parvo virus, rabies, unruly & unlicensed pets, unresponsible owners, etc.

jrwiesz
2011-05-30, 16:27
Hey Jim, give me a link to that Isle Royal message board, will ya?

Got you covered.

http://isleroyaleforums.com/index.php

Should get you there.

Roche
2011-06-07, 19:20
My first backpacking trip was along Pictured Rocks. Put on a big feed at the Dogpatch in Munising. Enjoy the trip.

bigcountry1315
2012-08-10, 23:57
I use to hike the Pictured Rocks a couple of times a year before I had my accident that injured my spine.It is a very enjoyable place to go.For me it is only 50 minutes away so it was nice to get out of town.

sheepdog
2012-08-12, 21:21
One of my favorite places to hike.

john pickett
2012-08-13, 10:51
Splendid photos. Thanks again for sharing.

Wnorton
2012-08-13, 11:06
Interesting. This is one of my favorite places to sea kayak. Shame on me that I've never hiked there.

From wnorton using an iPad and Tapatalk HD.