PDA

View Full Version : An historic day

Weary
2011-05-16, 21:23
When I walked much of the trail in 1993, it was the first time that I had spent more than a few days at a time in the south. My wife and I had a couple of times a year gone to visit Salisbury North Carolina, where her parents had retired. They spent nine months a year in Salisbury -- three months in an inlaw loft over my garage.

My inlaws were not southeners. But they had come to appreciate a southern perspective. We had some interesting conversations. I had hoped to get a black perspective while walking north, but blacks were few and far between.

But by chance today is the 50th anniversary of one of the first and most critical civil rights marches. Brave whites and blacks walked into brutal beatings in an attempt to reverse discrimination laws. Martin Luther KIng chose to back out. Hundreds of braver folks persisted.

Since the brave eventually won -- or mostly won. Let me urge anyone who may be interested to tune in to the public television tonight, as some of the events are recalled. I will.

Gray Blazer
2011-05-17, 08:48
On today in history in 1792, the New York Stock Exchange was established.

General
2011-05-17, 09:55
When I walked much of the trail in 1993, it was the first time that I had spent more than a few days at a time in the south. My wife and I had a couple of times a year gone to visit Salisbury North Carolina, where her parents had retired. They spent nine months a year in Salisbury -- three months in an inlaw loft over my garage.

My inlaws were not southeners. But they had come to appreciate a southern perspective. We had some interesting conversations. I had hoped to get a black perspective while walking north, but blacks were few and far between.

But by chance today is the 50th anniversary of one of the first and most critical civil rights marches. Brave whites and blacks walked into brutal beatings in an attempt to reverse discrimination laws. Martin Luther KIng chose to back out. Hundreds of braver folks persisted.

Since the brave eventually won -- or mostly won. Let me urge anyone who may be interested to tune in to the public television tonight, as some of the events are recalled. I will.

such is the duality of the southern thing.

MonkeyBoy
2011-05-17, 11:56
I like Salisbury.

The make good steaks.

Gray Blazer
2011-05-17, 12:23
Exactly what part of the cow is the salisbury?

JAK
2011-05-17, 13:07
I was born in 1962 so it took me awhile to clue in to the history that was taking place at the time, like the civil rights movement and the Vietnam War. I remember seeing pictures of the Vietnam War in Life and assumed they were photos from WWII, but I remember the first moon walk, and the fall of Saigon. I read Too Kill a Mocking Bird in high school and assumed that it was set back some time aroung the turn of the century. It wasn't until I saw the movie and saw the cars that I realized it was set in the 50s or 60s. In the 1970s you still couldn't get a hair cut in Fredericton New Brunswick if you were Black. It is our provincial capital, and the Poets Corner of Canada. In our defence, it was the subject of a poem by Fred Cogswell. That's how I found out. It was years later that I learned that eugenics was still being practiced in Alberta and British Columbia, mostly on first nations people, and descendants of immigrants from eastern europe. Then there was the Residential Schools problem, and other issues still unfolding. When such things come up people always talk like it's ancient history, like it no longer matters, and yet we still remember confederation and the battles of WWI. Things have gotten better mind you, no thanks to me. But the very least we can do, I think, is to at least serve as a witness. Jesus weeps still.

Invictus

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gait,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

- William Ernest Henley (1875)
on the amputation of his leg below the knee at the age of seventeen

Gray Blazer
2011-05-17, 13:14
That was beautiful Jak.

"I'm your captain, yeah yeah yeah yeah ..."

Art Farmer (1975)
after someone said you need more words to your song.

JAK
2011-05-17, 13:29
awesome tune thanks

D'Artagnan
2011-05-17, 13:33
I live about 15 minutes from Salisbury, NC. Neat town with a tremendous amount of Civil War history.

SGT Rock
2011-05-17, 15:56
I read a pretty touching article about this recently:
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/05/16/Zwerg.freedom.rides/index.html?iref=allsearch

Gray Blazer
2011-05-17, 19:55
You say no sniveling ...but :bawling:

JAK
2011-05-17, 20:23
It wouldn't know but I think the article provides some insight into PTSD. Even with classic shell shock, where the enemy is distant, the psycological harm is that it is being done by fellow humans. Must be even harder when the people are basically the same people you will be riding the bus with or working with or, as in his case, serving as a pastor later in life.

An interesting follow up story would be some of the people from the mob.

Weary
2011-05-17, 23:11
I read a pretty touching article about this recently:
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/05/16/Zwerg.freedom.rides/index.html?iref=allsearch
This article provides insight into an important part of American history that too many prefer to deny, ignore, or forget.

Lugnut
2011-05-17, 23:18

Since the brave eventually won -- or mostly won. Let me urge anyone who
may be interested to tune in to the public television tonight, as some of the
events are recalled. I will.

I remember all of that. I didn't grasp it then but do now. Too bad all the brave efforts are being squandered.

Gray Blazer
2011-05-18, 09:03
On today in history in 1926, Aimee Semple Mcpherson dissappeared while swimming in the ocean off Venice, CA.

Weary
2011-05-18, 11:28
I remember all of that. I didn't grasp it then but do now. Too bad all the brave efforts are being squandered.
Squandered is too strong a word. Luckily we don't live in a perfect world. Perfection would be boring.

JAK
2011-05-18, 12:34
Ironically, perfection is an abstract human construct.

JAK
2011-05-18, 12:36
So is irony, I suppose.

JAK
2011-05-18, 12:42
just like the song...
R6zCmCIsoAE

JAK
2011-05-18, 15:32
I do not know the prarie;
For it is strange and foreign to me.
I've always lived by the sea.

For I have never walked out there.
But I have yearned to live out on the sea, forever,
Feel the wind, unblemished, flowing through my hair.

JAK

Gray Blazer
2011-05-19, 08:43
Today in 1884 The Ringling Brothers circus premiered.

JAK
2011-05-19, 09:26
On this date, in 804, Alcuin, the Anglo-Latin poet, scholar, and acrobat, died.

(born c. 732, in or near York, Yorkshire, Eng.ódied May 19, 804, Tours, France) Anglo-Latin poet, educator, and cleric. As head of Charlemagne's Palatine school, he introduced the traditions of Anglo-Saxon humanism into western Europe and was the foremost scholar of the revival of learning known as the Carolingian Renaissance. He also made important reforms in the Roman Catholic liturgy, prepared an important new edition of the Vulgate Bible, wrote a number of poems, and left more than 300 Latin letters, a valuable source for the history of his time. Although traditionally identified as the author of the Caroline books and as the creator of Carolingian miniscule, Alcuin is now recognized as having played a less important role in the creation of both. He was also an important political adviser and confidant of Charlemagne.

more...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcuin

JAK
2011-05-19, 09:51
ok perhaps he was best known for his RIVER CROSSING problems...

Propositiones ad acuendos juvenes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propositiones_ad_acuendos_juvenes

JAK
2011-05-19, 10:33
100 years ago today, the Dominion Parks Branch was created, later renamed Parks Canada.

Claimed to be the world's first National Park system.

Kanga
2011-05-19, 11:55
today in history, anne boleyn had her head chopped off by her asshole husband.

Kanga
2011-05-19, 11:55
also, the spanish armada was launched.

Gray Blazer
2011-05-19, 12:18
today in history, anne boleyn had her head chopped off by her asshole husband.
He didn't waterboard her first? :eek:

saimyoji
2011-05-19, 13:47
on this date in 1993 i lost my virginity.

Hog On Ice
2011-05-19, 14:25
did it hurt much?

saimyoji
2011-05-19, 15:49
not at all. the sheep was very patient with me.

Hog On Ice
2011-05-19, 15:56
must have been a very mild natured ram

JAK
2011-05-19, 16:16
caught 5 trout in 40 minutes

Lugnut
2011-05-19, 18:00
On this date in 1887 at the present location of my house absolutely nothing happened. :argh:

DesertReprobate
2011-05-19, 18:15
He didn't waterboard her first? :eek:

No it was after

Weary
2011-05-19, 20:37
On this date in 1887 at the present location of my house absolutely nothing happened. :argh:
Has the "location" of your present house changed since 1887? Mine has. The state widened the road, forcing me to either move it, or abandon it. But I hadn't thought such things were common

Weary
2011-05-19, 20:41
No it was after
Why? Was it because of the similar odors?

Lugnut
2011-05-19, 21:17
Has the "location" of your present house changed since 1887? Mine has. The state widened the road, forcing me to either move it, or abandon it. But I hadn't thought such things were common

Wasn't built till 1961. Just a field till then.

Gray Blazer
2011-05-19, 21:34
must have been a very mild natured ram

They both drank a lot of woolite beforehand.

Ray
2011-05-19, 22:20
Has the "location" of your present house changed since 1887? Mine has. The state widened the road, forcing me to either move it, or abandon it. But I hadn't thought such things were commonMy house has been in the exact same spot since 1887.

Since 1087 even. Although during most of those years the house didn't yet exist.

Gray Blazer
2011-05-20, 08:42
Today in 1916, first Norman Rockwell to grace Saturday Evening Post.