PDA

View Full Version : Planning a BMT hike

urbansix
2011-05-17, 21:13
I was thinking about a long week on the BMT from Springer to the GA state line, in late June. Solo. My longest solo hikes to date have been several 3-day-ers on the AT. I have been studying the BMT Thru-Hiker's Guide, and the maps.

Any suggestions for extraction near/after the state line? Is Thunder Rock Campground the kind of place you could park a car for a week, unattended? Or would SoBo be better, leaving the car at Springer?(I'd rather hike north).

So far my plan is to resupply around Cherry Log, roughly half way. I was thinking about stashing a cannister (ammo can or something) off the trail a bit. Is this a crazy or bad idea? Also could hike in to Cherry Log and do a mail drop. The other seemed more adventurous.

Any suggestions? Anything to look out for? Such as waterless stretches for this time of year? Easy to loose sections of the trail?

Thanks!

SGT Rock
2011-05-18, 08:15
You can park a car at thunder rock for a week and it should be fine. I've not had problems there and haven't heard of any from anyone else.

Sending a package to Cherry Log is probably a good idea. The L&A store there is starting to get better hiker friendly food as well. A friend of mine recently stopped there and had a great time - the owners are very hiker friendly. Getting there is probably going to be a tough hitch and you will probably end up walking the whole way though. You might try calling the store and seeing if they would hold you a package and you could resupply there and get a hot meal.

Another option that has recently evolved is a store that is 4 miles off the trail does re-supply up at Watson gap - BUT the good thing is the owners live at Watson Gap and do the mail drop thing for hikers as well so you don't have to go all the way down to the store to get it as they try to get it to you. They are also BMTA members.

The dry stretch for many people is between GA 60 and GA 60. The few water sources can be hard to find in that section. That said, I hiked through there at the end of a drought and didn't have a problem.

urbansix
2011-05-22, 21:16
I drove up from Atlanta yesterday to check out the Cherry Log area and Thunder Rock campground. Thunder Rock has a designated trail head parking area, so that looked allright.

I stopped by L&A General Store in Cherry Log and talked to Angie about resupply. She said they would be more than glad to hold a package if I mail it to them. However, I am still tempted to stash something in a hollow log near the trail to avoid the 4 mile round trip on the road. Hwy 76 doesn't seem that busy until you stand in one place and watch cars go by. Then it seems crazy. Not much of a shoulder for walking on, either. The trail east of 76 is flanked by private property, but once you go in about 1/3 mile it gets pretty woodsy.

SGT Rock
2011-05-22, 21:53
I drove up from Atlanta yesterday to check out the Cherry Log area and Thunder Rock campground. Thunder Rock has a designated trail head parking area, so that looked allright.

I stopped by L&A General Store in Cherry Log and talked to Angie about resupply. She said they would be more than glad to hold a package if I mail it to them. However, I am still tempted to stash something in a hollow log near the trail to avoid the 4 mile round trip on the road. Hwy 76 doesn't seem that busy until you stand in one place and watch cars go by. Then it seems crazy. Not much of a shoulder for walking on, either. The trail east of 76 is flanked by private property, but once you go in about 1/3 mile it gets pretty woodsy.
They are talking about making a spur trail in the area. We shall see.