PDA

View Full Version : achilles tendon

Kanga
2011-05-19, 16:37
so hiking this week, i pulled a fast mile day, and towards the end of it, i felt a twang in my achilles tendon going uphill. i guess it was 2 days ago. yesterday, it was sore enough for me to bail on the hike. i figured, a little ice, a little elevation, i'll be fine. well, i woke up this morning and it's getting tighter and tighter to where i don't even want to use it. i'm walking like a penguin. i hurt myself alot so my pain tolerance is alright, but i kinda felt a little naseous this morning from it. anybody had this happen to them? thoughts on what i might have done? i played soccer and have hiked for years and have never done this one yet. help/advice would be appreciated.

Footslogger
2011-05-19, 16:51
so hiking this week, i pulled a fast mile day, and towards the end of it, i felt a twang in my achilles tendon going uphill. i guess it was 2 days ago. yesterday, it was sore enough for me to bail on the hike. i figured, a little ice, a little elevation, i'll be fine. well, i woke up this morning and it's getting tighter and tighter to where i don't even want to use it. i'm walking like a penguin. i hurt myself alot so my pain tolerance is alright, but i kinda felt a little naseous this morning from it. anybody had this happen to them? thoughts on what i might have done? i played soccer and have hiked for years and have never done this one yet. help/advice would be appreciated.

========

Near the heel or up at the base of yhe calf? ...and without any weight can you point your toes all the way forward and then bring the foot all the way back (full range of motion) without pain? That will tell you whether it's a sprain or the beginning of an achilles tear. If it's a tear you really need to get into an orthopedic boot and limit the range of motion for a while to allow for healing and prevent a complete severing of the tendon.

'Slogger

JoeyB
2011-05-19, 18:09
my hiking partner has achilles tendon issues.
she's torn them slightly in the past.

a slow initial pace with frequent stops for stretching (after she's walked a bit to loosen them up slightly) is her regular routine.
especially when the morning starts out with climbing.

after that she never seems to have any problem with them.

i'm no doctor but, i'm always one to tell others to take the time to let things heal.(but "she" never listens)
this is a rotten time of year to be rushing what could be a nagging injury for the rest of the spring/summer season.

hope this passes for you quickly.

Kanga
2011-05-19, 18:45
========

Near the heel or up at the base of yhe calf? ...and without any weight can you point your toes all the way forward and then bring the foot all the way back (full range of motion) without pain? That will tell you whether it's a sprain or the beginning of an achilles tear. If it's a tear you really need to get into an orthopedic boot and limit the range of motion for a while to allow for healing and prevent a complete severing of the tendon.

'Slogger

near the heel. forward stretch, nothing. flex up and it hurts.

Kanga
2011-05-19, 18:47
my hiking partner has achilles tendon issues.
she's torn them slightly in the past.

a slow initial pace with frequent stops for stretching (after she's walked a bit to loosen them up slightly) is her regular routine.
especially when the morning starts out with climbing.

after that she never seems to have any problem with them.

i'm no doctor but, i'm always one to tell others to take the time to let things heal.(but "she" never listens)
this is a rotten time of year to be rushing what could be a nagging injury for the rest of the spring/summer season.

hope this passes for you quickly.
i agree with the letting things heal. it was what decided me to drive home from virginia. i'm used to pain, but this felt different. off, and wrong, i guess.

Footslogger
2011-05-19, 19:49
near the heel. forward stretch, nothing. flex up and it hurts.

=======

That is most likely the beginning of what is called "Insertional Tendonitis" - - so called because it is the attaching/insertion point of the achilles tendon onto the heel bone (os calsis/calcaneous).

Ice it 3-4 times a day, do the anti-inflamatory thing and limit uphill walking for a while ...or at least try not to allow tension/lengthening of the achilles when you do walk.

With any luck you caught it in time (before any tendon fibers actually pulled completely away from the bone. Give the inflamation a chance to settle down and little by little just test the healing process by flexing the foot upwards without any weight on it. You'll know if it is getting better.

'Slogger

Lugnut
2011-05-19, 20:01
=======

That is most likely the beginning of what is called "Insertional Tendonitis" - - so called because it is the attaching/insertion point of the achilles tendon onto the heel bone (os calsis/calcaneous).

Ice it 3-4 times a day, do the anti-inflamatory thing and limit uphill walking for a while ...or at least try not to allow tension/lengthening of the achilles when you do walk.

With any luck you caught it in time (before any tendon fibers actually pulled completely away from the bone. Give the inflamation a chance to settle down and little by little just test the healing process by flexing the foot upwards without any weight on it. You'll know if it is getting better.

'Slogger

What the he'll? Did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night? :aetsch:

PS Yes, I know you're an Ortho kinda' guy.

mudhead
2011-05-20, 14:10
Yogurt or cottage cheese containers make excellent chunks of ice. Throw several in a 5 gallon bucket, and put the container back in the freezer when done.

Enjoy the pain. It will only pucker you up a bit. Pretend you are married.

Kanga
2011-05-20, 14:18
Headed to my ortho surgeon. We shall see how I've hurt myself this time..

john pickett
2011-05-20, 14:44
"Headed to my ortho surgeon"
Best advice I would have given. Never, ever want to fool around with achilles tendon issues.

Lugnut
2011-05-20, 15:11
Headed to my ortho surgeon. We shall see how I've hurt myself this time..

You should start an Injury of the Week club! :albertein

Kanga
2011-05-20, 15:14
Why? That one wouldn't meet often enough.:albertein

Weary
2011-05-20, 15:44
It happened to me a few years ago. I hadn't really "pulled a fast day." But I was keeping up with a group of walkers, 30 years younger than I was, when I took a small leap across a flooded stream, and crumbled to the ground. I managed to make it back to camp. But after a weekend of increasing pain, I went to a doctor, who prescribed a special achilles tendon
boot, which I wore for a couple of weeks. No problems since. Though I don't do much stream jumping any more. I just wade across.

john pickett
2011-05-20, 18:59
" i played soccer and have hiked for years " Sad to tell you, this may be the answer as to why now. Anno Domini. As we all age, tissues become less elastic. Stretching after excercise helps to a degree, but can't cure all our ills. Your orthopod is the one to put this question to.

mudhead
2011-05-20, 20:06
Women don't age. They ripen.:)

So Dr. Destructo- What did you do this time?

And didn't you do it in the pasture a couple days back, and now it is worse...

JAK
2011-05-20, 20:40
Best wishes Kanga. Hope you heal up and work things out.
Experiment of one.

Kanga
2011-05-20, 21:20
nah, no cows involved. just a beautiful trail stretching out in front of me.

mudhead
2011-05-21, 07:18
nah, no cows involved. just a beautiful trail stretching out in front of me.

I could have sworn you said you maimed yourself while on the clock and were sure the powers that be would make it right.:) Wink Nod

Kanga
2011-05-21, 11:23
oh hayell no. i filed wc ONCE and will never do it again. i was filing out paperwork for 3 months and they kept fn things up and i would have to start over. ever since then, if i get hurt at work, i just pay for it myself. NOT worth the headache.

General
2011-05-21, 17:49
only thing worker's comp is good for is buying yourself a drug test.

Kanga
2011-05-21, 19:57
eggszachary.

Weary
2011-05-21, 21:28
only thing worker's comp is good for is buying yourself a drug test.
Not quite. A friend of mine, a single father, worked off and on in a shipyard that built Navy Destroyers near my home for 50 years. An injury on the job, destroyed his right foot. Essentially, WC kept him alive and his three kids fed, untill they became old enough to support themselves. WC never made him whole, but it has kept him alive and in a house, and on land he loved and planned to leave to his three kids.

Yes. There's red tape involved. It's needed to prevent fraud. But for those who stick it out, Workers Compensation can be a god send.

Sadly, one of his kids drowned in a boating accident this month, while on a volunteer effort to remove a log that had blocked a public landing. A terrible tragedy.

The victim was a volunteer. He was always volunteering to help the town, or someone less fortunate than he was. Some 200 people attended the funeral, the largest ever in the memory long time town residents.