PDA

View Full Version : I'm beat - trail maintenance

SGT Rock
2011-05-21, 18:53
:beer:

It's a good feeling when you do some hard work. I spent yesterday and today out with my boys clearing blow downs and fixing trail from the big storms. We cleared out 8.5 trees - one is only half cleared after we finally threw up our hands and decided we could get it later. We also left a big one for a chainsaw crew to come in and get - but we cleared most of it out and limbed out what we left.

m5rIJTARoGQ

woodsy
2011-05-21, 21:48
Holy crap, what a tangle.
Good job getting what you could. !!

Jeff
2011-05-21, 22:08
No need to go to the gym after a day of trail maintenance. THANKS for the hard work. Tell the boys THANKS too.

Cuffs
2011-05-21, 23:48
Was that your section of the BMT? I've walked it twice now and have not said thanks! I did some work on the Pinhoti last week and I'll be out there tomorrow clearing blowdowns. Hard work for sure in this heat.

Thanks for your work Rock!

SGT Rock
2011-05-22, 01:39
No need to go to the gym after a day of trail maintenance. THANKS for the hard work. Tell the boys THANKS too.
My arms feel like rubber after all that sawing.

Was that your section of the BMT? I've walked it twice now and have not said thanks! I did some work on the Pinhoti last week and I'll be out there tomorrow clearing blowdowns. Hard work for sure in this heat.

Thanks for your work Rock!

It's a great section isn't it. Except maybe for that steep part.

What section of the Pinhoti do you maintain?

Ray
2011-05-22, 21:31
I'm glad everyone got home safe.

Cuffs
2011-05-22, 22:15
I dont work with any of the organized groups anymore. Too much politics. Yak and I walked a 50 mile section that had the smaller tornadoes touch down in the area. I went back with some friends and saws and we cleared quite a bit out. A couple we could only clear a path thru since the trunks were so large... We worked between Burns trailhead and Chief Ladiga Campground.

JAK
2011-05-22, 22:24
thanks for the video

Weary
2011-05-22, 23:50
I do t work with any of the organized groups anymore. Too much politics. ......
?????

ed bell
2011-05-23, 00:05
What is the significance of five question marks an no actual question??????

Cuffs
2011-05-23, 00:17

When you find out, let me know.

D'Artagnan
2011-05-23, 09:27
When you find out, let me know.

You used the "P" word and that's like the Bat Signal for some folks.

Weary
2011-05-23, 09:30
I was curious about Cuffs comment about not doing trail work with organized groups because of "too much politics."

It's my understanding that most of the maintaining clubs assign each section of the trail to an individual, who either does the needed work himself, or recruits friends and sometimes youth groups to help. At least that is the way it works in Maine. There are guidelines and rules promulgated by the owners of the land (in Maine the National Park Service) and by ATC, but I've never thought of them as "politics."

Not that I always like the rules. But I understand their neccessity.

MonkeyBoy
2011-05-23, 09:56
Rock,

You'll find the things your kids will remember most are the times when you had hard work to do with just you and them.

Kanga
2011-05-23, 10:30
I was curious about Cuffs comment about not doing trail work with organized groups because of "too much politics."

It's my understanding that most of the maintaining clubs assign each section of the trail to an individual, who either does the needed work himself, or recruits friends and sometimes youth groups to help. At least that is the way it works in Maine. There are guidelines and rules promulgated by the owners of the land (in Maine the National Park Service) and by ATC, but I've never thought of them as "politics."

Not that I always like the rules. But I understand their neccessity.

what a minute. aren't you the one that is always going on and on about whl? and you say there are no politics in maine at clubs?

?????:bike:

Weary
2011-05-23, 11:16
what a minute. aren't you the one that is always going on and on about whl? and you say there are no politics in maine at clubs?

?????:bike:
I didn't exactly say there was no politics in the MATC in Maine. Only that I didn't consider the rules for trail maintenance politically inspired.

However, MATC's objection to White House Landing was the bevy of blaze orange signs that suddenly dotted the trail. The overseer for that section tried to negotiate with the business, but it denied putting up the signs. Except for a few miles on state lands, the trail in Maine runs through a corridor that was purchased by the National Park Service, mostly in the 1980s. No national park allows private signs unless they are for a business that has been sold concession rights.

Politics were not part of the WHL squabble. But they do intrude from time to time. Essentially, we are proud of our reputation of having the wildest section of the entire trail, and try to keep it that way. That oiften involves politics.

We successfully fought an effort to install several dozen 400-foot high industrial wind power towers a mile or so from the trail over Saddleback. Now we face a more difficult wind power project to be built on mountain summits and ridgelines a few miles from Bigelow, that are being proposed by a very popular former governor.

Gray Blazer
2011-05-23, 11:29
I took it to mean that she was relieved that she didn't have to listen to brain washed liberals talking about how Bush was worse than Hitler and Obama is the One.

Kanga
2011-05-23, 11:48
but I've never thought of them as "politics."

...That oiften involves politics.

????

Weary
2011-05-23, 11:53
I took it to mean that she was relieved that she didn't have to listen to brain washed liberals talking about how Bush was worse than Hitler and Obama is the One.
Nuts populate all sides of the political spectrum.

MonkeyBoy
2011-05-23, 11:57
????

That's what I was thinking....

Cuffs
2011-05-23, 11:57
. Only that I didn't consider the rules for trail maintenance politically inspired.

Our politics is two-fold.

There are at least 4 main maintaining groups. There is no 1 main overseer group. Each group has their own agenda on what the trail should be and how it should be developed. (ie: AT-like and shelters every 10 miles; BMT-like and kept wild, no shelters)

And then theres the bickering inside the groups members and officers. One group, each officer has a different agenda like that above. 1 says build it all up, another says keep it wild. While they will agree face to face, once out there doing maintenance, they go and do their own thing.

I'll go out on my own, but through blowdowns and clear brush and leave it at that. Ive done my part.

SGT Rock
2011-05-23, 20:07
Nuts populate all sides of the political spectrum.

Amen.