PDA

View Full Version : re-treating rain gear

General
2011-05-21, 21:18
rain coat needs some waterproofin'. i've used techron or techtron or whatever it's called with decent results. i need to treat my mountain hardware nylon shell. any suggestions?

JoeyB
2011-05-22, 07:46
just recently coated an old rain shell and hammock tarp with a silicone spray that i bought at a local shoe store. it claimed use on every type of fabric and leather.

haven't used the shell yet, but the tarp has been rained on twice now with no seepage at all.

not sure of the brand, but i'll find out and get back to you.

SGT Rock
2011-05-22, 10:37
tried that sort of stuff and it didn't do much.

Cuffs
2011-05-22, 10:50
Find the info on the brands site. If it's Mtn Hardwears Epic fabric, it will have instructions in what you need and how to do it.

Most just need to be washed in the gentle cycle and dried on low heat to reinstate their waterproofing.

Bearpaw
2011-05-22, 11:01
Find the info on the brands site. If it's Mtn Hardwears Epic fabric, it will have instructions in what you need and how to do it.

Most just need to be washed in the gentle cycle and dried on low heat to reinstate their waterproofing.

Very true. The tumble dry on low heat is pretty critical for reactivating the DWR (durable water repellant) coating on the shell.

DWR is not the main waterproofing; the epic laminate between the outer and inner layers is. But if water hits the outer shell and immediately saturates the fabric, it dramatically reduces the breathability of the epic layer. You may be getting mostly wet from your own sweat.

Washing helps if the pores are clogged by sweat or skin oil or dirt in the epic layer. Drying reactivates the DWR layer, assuming it is still there.

If you still have issues after washing and drying, Nikwax makes a DWR restoring solution, available in both spray-on (http://www.rei.com/product/724689/nikwax-tx-direct-20-spray-on-water-repellent-treatment-5-oz)and wash-in (http://www.rei.com/product/724690/nikwax-tx-direct-20-wash-in-water-repellent-treatment-10-oz)(in a washing machine) versions. They are decent for water-proof breathables.

General
2011-05-22, 11:16
it ain't epic, is'a little mo po dan dat. straight up nylon, 2 layers. only ventalation it's got is pit zips.

General
2011-05-22, 11:18
tried that sort of stuff and it didn't do much.

i've never gotten anything to work as well as i would like either. usually just buy cheap stuff off the sale rack, use it till i can't anymore, and buy something else.

enviro
2011-05-22, 12:18
Very true. The tumble dry on low heat is pretty critical for reactivating the DWR (durable water repellant) coating on the shell.

DWR is not the main waterproofing; the epic laminate between the outer and inner layers is. But if water hits the outer shell and immediately saturates the fabric, it dramatically reduces the breathability of the epic layer. You may be getting mostly wet from your own sweat.

Washing helps if the pores are clogged by sweat or skin oil or dirt in the epic layer. Drying reactivates the DWR layer, assuming it is still there.

If you still have issues after washing and drying, Nikwax makes a DWR restoring solution, available in both spray-on (http://www.rei.com/product/724689/nikwax-tx-direct-20-spray-on-water-repellent-treatment-5-oz)and wash-in (http://www.rei.com/product/724690/nikwax-tx-direct-20-wash-in-water-repellent-treatment-10-oz)(in a washing machine) versions. They are decent for water-proof breathables.

I've used the Nikwax wash in treatment and it works well after washing the gear. I usually throw a couple of nylon stuff sacks in the washer with the Nikwax treatment, just for the hell of it.

The other thing is to never use fabric softener when washing/drying breathable waterproof fabrics. It clogs the pores, which ruins the breathability.

Cuffs
2011-05-22, 12:53
Wash in vs spray on.

Go with the spray on and only spray the outside of the fabric. All the 'breathable' fabrics are made to transport heat vapors from the inside to the outside while preventing moisture entering from the outside. If you use wash-in stuff, you are essentially clogging up the pores that pull moisture inside to outside. Spraying the outside still allows heat vapors to escape but block rain.

General
2011-05-22, 19:49
what's the best spray, what lasts the longest?

Cuffs
2011-05-22, 22:46
Geez. Can't think Of the name. It's by Nik Wax. Re-something.

Skidsteer
2011-05-22, 23:04
Nik-wax Re Proof.

Cuffs
2011-05-22, 23:54
TX Direct Spray on