PDA

View Full Version : old fuel canisters

vonfrick
2011-05-26, 22:47
so there's about 5 million of these things in the garage at shaw's. they're old.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_VY9lef3Ripw/S2wDffdSu6I/AAAAAAAAMCo/JKHhQLvtCzM/s400/Campingaz_C206.jpg

so old they don't have the threaded thingee, you actually have to puncture them :afraid:

i spent a great deal of time last summer while up there calling everyone in maine from the dep to the oil and gas companies. no one had any suggestions AT ALL as to what to do with them, because fuck if i'm going to be the one who plays with them and the only place you can still get the adapter or an actual stove designed for it is in europe.

they are slowing rusting asnd i don't think i need to say what a huge hazard this presents if some douchebag decides to cook his food too close to the garage and sets the whole damn thing on fire and the house explodes.

mind you, this is not out of the realm of possibility, as i had to "gently" ask a nobo last summer not to use his pocket rocket on the coffee table in the living room (i'm guessing that this is acceptable practice at all the hostels south of monson??)

so, my best idea so far was to find someone who wants them for target practice. how cool would that be?...come and get 'em.

Tin Man
2011-05-26, 23:12
send them to wv, care of alligator... better include a warning... open carefully, contents have not been moderated

mudhead
2011-05-27, 07:43
Pellet gun.

Must be some redneck fool with a brush pile that needs burning up that way.

Don't hurt yourself.:)

On a serious note, many communities up here have a hazmat type "takeback" day at a central location. Local transfer station has a spot for "Coleman" propane canisters. Another for batteries, paint, and so on.

If it were me I would find a pellet gun. If I gave them to some other fool I would worry about them losing fingers or eyes.

Crikey
2011-05-27, 08:40
It was the thought of generating all that waste that made me keep going with a white gas stove a couple of years back, when my trusty old coleman finally melted. I can't justify just tossing those things when there's alternatives (like make your own alkies, which I want to do, but right now don't have time to screw around with).

I posted a thread on WB about what to do with the empties - some people said you could get them refilled, some said you could recycle. Nobody offered any solid answers to get me to switch.

As far as that nobo firing up his stove inside....you can't fix stupid.

Ray
2011-05-27, 09:16
Frick and a garage full of potentially explosive devices. So what could possibly go wrong?

Ask Skids to design a stove using those things. Then Tinny of minibulldesign will copy it and sell it on his website. If you rave about them on W-B and order two or three from him, Tinny will think they're selling fast. Since he's in Maine he'll come get the rest from you.

Problem solved. QED and all that.

saimyoji
2011-05-27, 09:29

no, but if stupid hurts enough it will eventually learn.

Jim Henderson
2011-05-27, 13:07
No no no.

these cartridges are great. There are many 200 series stoves and lanterns avaiable, like ebay, that use these. I have had both since the 70s and they server me very well. usually called Campingaz, brand stoves and lanterns. Also Bluet, Wonder etc.

They are getting a little more rare to find in stores, but if these are avaiable cheap, maybe some guys I know on a stove site will be interested..

Jim Henderson

Gaiter
2011-05-27, 13:07
Frick and a garage full of potentially explosive devices. So what could possibly go wrong?

its not frick that i would worry about its that other guy who follows her around :aetsch:

Russell
2011-05-27, 13:24
http://www.campingaz.com/c-540-lanterns-and-stoves.aspx

Crikey
2011-05-27, 13:27
Ok, so did I misread - these are full? If so, why so many there?

vonfrick
2011-05-27, 15:31
No no no.

these cartridges are great. There are many 200 series stoves and lanterns avaiable, like ebay, that use these. I have had both since the 70s and they server me very well. usually called Campingaz, brand stoves and lanterns. Also Bluet, Wonder etc.

They are getting a little more rare to find in stores, but if these are avaiable cheap, maybe some guys I know on a stove site will be interested..

Jim Henderson

cheap?? try free. you just get them out of there for me. seriously there are cases upon cases.

Frick and a garage full of potentially explosive devices. So what could possibly go wrong? QED and all that.

i fixed that for ya

its not frick that i would worry about its that other guy who follows her around :aetsch:

Ok, so did I misread - these are full? If so, why so many there?

it's shaw's. been there forever. we got all kinds of crazy stuff no backpacker would ever carry these days. snowmobilers and hunters maybe, but no hiker. but shaw's isn't open in the winter anymore so all that "heavy" gear we have is sitting there collecting dust.

vonfrick
2011-05-27, 15:33
I posted a thread on WB about what to do with the empties - some people said you could get them refilled, some said you could recycle. Nobody offered any solid answers to get me to switch.i saw a tool at REI the other day they're selling to (i guess) safely puncture the empty canisters so that you can put them in with the metal recyclables. looks like it would double as a sweet beer opener.

no but you can point stupid out and humiliate stupid in your best teacherly tone of voice

Hog On Ice
2011-05-27, 15:52
well one idea I had was that if anyone were to donate a stove that used that type of canister - just tell the hikers that they can use the stove (outdoors) for their cooking and they will have free gas

JERMM
2011-05-27, 16:50
well one idea I had was that if anyone were to donate a stove that used that type of canister - just tell the hikers that they can use the stove (outdoors) for their cooking and they will have free gas

gas is always free when hikers are around

Hog On Ice
2011-05-27, 17:31
true dat

but have you ever tried to cook with hiker generated gas?

MonkeyBoy
2011-05-27, 18:53
http://bp2.blogger.com/_guwHAbKqLWE/SHYSv9TjbsI/AAAAAAAAA7E/irPX8rs_-4k/s400/fire_ass.jpg

JERMM
2011-05-27, 19:47
true dat

but have you ever tried to cook with hiker generated gas?

no, but apparently MB has...:afraid:

http://bp2.blogger.com/_guwHAbKqLWE/SHYSv9TjbsI/AAAAAAAAA7E/irPX8rs_-4k/s400/fire_ass.jpg

fiddlehead
2011-06-02, 07:35
I guess you know you're gettin old when you see a thread like this and you just were using your GAZ stove last Dec. in our RV.
I still have about 10 of the full cartridges myself and thought I'd probably not find them in stores anymore.
I don't see the problem with them
I used mine exclusively for my thru in 89 and 91.

I even have some spare parts that I picked up in France to replace the gasket in the stove.

vonfrick
2011-06-13, 19:38
anyone interested in any of this give me a shout...you'd have to pick it up. the canisters would be free. the stoves prolly for a song.

vonfrick
2011-06-13, 19:39
sorry some of these are jiggly

vonfrick
2011-06-13, 19:41
there's a lot

vonfrick
2011-06-13, 19:43
this is the rest- 5 of these stoves

vonfrick
2011-06-20, 07:42
:adore: many thanks to everyone who responded to these posts...sounds like we're soon to be rid of everything i listed. :beer:

Hooch
2011-06-20, 09:39
Empty 'em out and turn 'em into planters.

MonkeyBoy
2011-06-20, 10:16
Just saw the Varifuel stoves.........

Still have those? As you know, we could always use stoves...

Hog On Ice
2011-06-20, 10:16
Empty 'em out and turn 'em into planters.

that only works for boots and toilets

MonkeyBoy
2011-06-20, 10:17
Also have a friend that uses butane in his stove...

Hooch
2011-06-20, 10:32
that only works for boots and toiletshttp://home-ehow-com.blog.ehow.com/files/2011/05/diy-tire-planter.jpg
http://thehappyhoe.com/images/bra%20planter.jpg
http://c0190781.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/111921443.jpg
http://inhabitat.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2011/04/Da-Morto-A-Orto-Bottazzi-and-Bonapace51.jpg

vonfrick
2011-06-20, 13:36
Just saw the Varifuel stoves.........

Still have those? As you know, we could always use stoves...

pretty sure they're all gone already...best way to find out is to call shaw's- 207-997-3597, she's been getting a lot of calls since i posted this