PDA

View Full Version : Hip Check

Ray
2011-05-29, 13:04
So the last time I put on a backpack and hit the trail was last ... September or October, I forget. September, most likely. But I ended that little trek on the DRT unable to put any weight on my right leg, I 'walked' the last 3 miles using my walking stick as a crutch. It was absolutely the most painful 2 hours of my life. And somewhere along that painful stretch of super easy gradual downhill I decided that I needed to see another doctor.

And that was the first step that led to another journey I hadn't planned. But such is life. It weren't no kinda arterial reroute or nothing requiring chemotherapy. Some might even say I was lucky.

One total hip replacement operation and a bunch of therapy later the pack is again out of the closet. I'm headed out not to the DRT (because I may be crazy but I ain't stupid) but to the flattest part of the AT in GA - Bull Pen Gap to Chattahoochee Gap then the Whatchamacallit Trail over to the Brasstown Bald road cutoff parking place area.

Spending tonight at Low Gap with a buddy from work who I know that if I really need to be carried out of the woods in pain and agony then he'd give me a Snickers bar if he had one to spare. Well, maybe.

But unlike my last trip, I've packed a couple pints of Firefly! If I need to I'll fly out.

Tin Man
2011-05-29, 13:09
Glad to hear you can get back out there. Enjoy.... and don't break anything!

SGT Rock
2011-05-29, 13:13
Have a good trip. Or maybe I should say don't trip?

Skidsteer
2011-05-29, 13:40
Go get 'em Ray.

Have a great hike and remember; No naked twister for another couple months.

ed bell
2011-05-29, 14:45
Go Ray, go!

Lugnut
2011-05-29, 15:21
Looks like the trail has a new ass to kick!
Or at least half of one. :aetsch:

generoll
2011-05-29, 16:08
guess there's no point in posting this, but there is road access about 1 mile from Low Gap.

Russell
2011-05-29, 16:17
Go Ray, go!

Good job Ray.

My knee 99%. I can now hike with no pain in my knee.:biggrin:

cool breeze
2011-05-29, 20:40
One of my favorite sections.

john pickett
2011-05-29, 21:20
Enjoy your trip, wish I were there and you were here.

Big Mac
2011-05-29, 23:07
Have fun Ray, I really liked that section of trail, wish I was going along. Even if there was a chance I'd have to carry you out.

Ray
2011-05-30, 20:43
Thanks everyone. It was good. I was slow but had no pains I shouldn't have had. Didn't sleep well but I never do the first night anywhere. I do need to go with a hammock, the hardest part of the day is getting off the ground.

Downhills suck. Even though I've been working with weights mimicking downhill steps, downhills suck. And from Chattahoochee Gap down the Jacks Knob Trail to the parking lot was nearly 2.5 miles mostly steep downhill. But I came down using both legs, a major improvement over the last trip.

So I'm tired but, yeah, it was a good hike.

SGT Rock
2011-05-30, 20:44
Outstanding. Congrats on hitting the road to recovery. No go get yourself a drink.:beer:

Skidsteer
2011-05-30, 20:47
Thanks everyone. It was good. I was slow but had no pains I shouldn't have had. Didn't sleep well but I never do the first night anywhere. I do need to go with a hammock, the hardest part of the day is getting off the ground.

Downhills suck. Even though I've been working with weights mimicking downhill steps, downhills suck. And from Chattahoochee Gap down the Jacks Knob Trail to the parking lot was nearly 2.5 miles mostly steep downhill. But I came down using both legs, a major improvement over the last trip.

So I'm tired but, yeah, it was a good hike.

Glad to hear it.

Kanga
2011-05-30, 20:52
fantastic news ray!!

mudhead
2011-05-31, 11:40
Hope you woke up OK today. Good the bionics are working and thanks for the update.

sheepdog
2011-05-31, 21:24
http://youtu.be/w2WHmijaPRw
w2WHmijaPRw

more hip checks

ed bell
2011-06-01, 20:47
w2WHmijaPRw

more hip checks

I don't think any of our hips are ready for those checks....

sheepdog
2011-06-01, 20:49
I agree

Nearly Normal
2011-06-01, 21:35
w2WHmijaPRw

more hip checks

Yankee rednecks with knives on their feet and a stick to beat the shit out of you.
I like it.
Understand the game? Hell no!
I've seen bar fights with better manners.

ed bell
2011-06-01, 21:47
It used to be frustrating to watch when you'd lose track of the puck. Now with HD it's a totally different view.

Sierra Echo
2011-06-01, 22:11
I love hockey and we just lost the Thrashers. *snort*

Ray
2011-06-01, 23:52
Yeah.

But... When you play hockey you oughta expect to get hit by someone moving at ice skating speed. When you catch a ride home with someone else at Ft Gordon you don't really expect to get hit head on by someone speeding in your lane trying to pass uphill despite the freakin obvious double yellow line.

Bob D said those not busy being born are busy dying.

But Slogger, Wolf, Mala, Rockhound, Enviro and others here who've been the object of serious knife work will tell you that just waking the hell up in the morning is a rebirth worth celebrating.

And if I could only remember the point I was trying to make then this would be the place where I'd make it. Because chicks dig the thoughtful sensitive types.

I guess. Because showing them the surgical scars sure as hell doesn't work.

OK, so maybe the Wal-Mart produce aisle wasn't the best place....

vonfrick
2011-06-02, 07:26
And if I could only remember the point I was trying to make then this would be the place where I'd make it. Because chicks dig the thoughtful sensitive types.

:love:

Bearpaw
2011-06-03, 13:27
Go get it Ray! Glad to hear you are on top of the world again.

mudhead
2011-06-03, 14:10
It used to be frustrating to watch when you'd lose track of the puck. Now with HD it's a totally different view.

Canadian channel is better with camera work. Bruins bite. Pinkwings suck.

Yeah.

I guess. Because showing them the surgical scars sure as hell doesn't work.

OK, so maybe the Wal-Mart produce aisle wasn't the best place....

You need to start hanging near the coppertop rack display.

sheepdog
2011-06-03, 14:45
Canadian channel is better with camera work. Bruins bite. Pinkwings suck.

jealousy is such an ugly emotion

jrwiesz
2011-06-13, 13:21
jealousy is such an ugly emotion

Bruins win the CUP!!! Maybe, a bit early.

Just sayin':top:

JAK
2011-06-13, 13:34
On my last day or two of my last hike my left hip was sore, and I thought it was my bursitus acting up again which had me worried. Then I noticed a HUGE bruise, like 4-5" inches in diameter. Not sure if it was the time I landed on my face or one of the other times, but thank God. Never so happy to see such a huge bruise.

JAK
2011-06-13, 13:37
No pics for that one, sorry. I'll assume no sexting allowed on HQ, at least not from old dudes. At least some good has come from Weinergate.