PDA

View Full Version : Tourons

sheepdog
2011-05-30, 20:17
How many of you live in tourist areas?
My neighborhood was rocking this weekend. It was fun, walking around and watching the people sitting by their campfires. Golf carts, and scooters, fireworks, and boats on the lake. The weekend is over and the quiet is back. In June they are welcome, by the end of July you want to shoot them. :ahhhhh:

JoeyB
2011-05-30, 20:27
HA !!!
not to mention the folks who started out the weekend with pasty white skin, but now have a pink hue that's soon to peel away like some walking onion.

local area lakes are now the domain of every inbred moron with enough credit to buy a personal watercraft.
won't be sane until after labor day.

same with the Great Smokey mountains.
only the far edges of the park will be free of the, "how much farrrrrrtherrrrr ???" crowd.

SGT Rock
2011-05-30, 20:29
The old lady bad drivers or Q-Tips.

Weary
2011-05-30, 23:09
My neighborhood was rocking this weekend. It was fun, walking around and watching the people sitting by their campfires. Golf carts, and scooters, fireworks, and boats on the lake. The weekend is over and the quiet is back. In June they are welcome, by the end of July you want to shoot them. :ahhhhh:
Well, I can sympathize with you southeners. We are lucky in Maine. Our touron season will mostly end by Labor Day. In the meantime, most are pretty good neighbors. They keep our town land trust alive with their donations.

A few even come out and help maintain our 31 miles of trails. Except for the houses they build, and the lawns they plant, most don't really do much harm.

General
2011-05-30, 23:12
i work in helen ga, brevarian village, or what ever. i shoot more tourons before 7am than most people shoot all day.

saimyoji
2011-05-30, 23:37
i work in helen ga, brevarian village, or what ever. i shoot more tourons before 7am than most people shoot all day.

how do you get away with shooting 'em?

Elder
2011-05-31, 00:12
The problem with Tourist Season is they don''t let you shoot them.
Hook 'em
Rook'em, Crook'em and, Cheat.
Use
abuse
tease and toss.
Tag'em, bag'em and let them go.

Remember, they smell bad after three days...
oh, so do we 8)

Roots
2011-05-31, 00:12
Liing in the land if the waterfalls, mtn homes, kids summer camps, college town, festivals USA...etc. Is HELL! We won't have peace until november! SUX!!!:argh:

Cuffs
2011-05-31, 03:36
20 years in Tampa. That was enough time for me to spend in gods waiting room.

woodsy
2011-05-31, 06:32
Tourism is Maine's largest industry. They don't call it vacationland for nothing.
Before cars they came by trains to the lakes and ocean.
They sure do plug up the highways and the motor homes aren't much to look at if you get stuck behind them. Higher gas prices help reduce their numbers.
Have worked in the skiing , rafting and restaurant businesses over the years so made some money off them like a lot of other people here.
Generally just people looking for fun and adventure.
Mudhead loves them over Acadia way.

General
2011-05-31, 08:23
how do you get away with shooting 'em?

there are blue lights on top of my work truck.

fiddlehead
2011-05-31, 09:39
I live in one of the top 10 tourist destinations for all of Europe.
We have 18 beaches and more than 20 5 star resorts, many within 2 miles of me.
It is now low season and we are enjoying it.
Very quiet here in Phuket Thailand now.

vonfrick
2011-05-31, 10:34
just glad i'm gone all summer while this town gets invaded. our house is right near the far right in this photo, where the water taxis drop off all the folks from the 5 yacht clubs so they can stumble drunk up and down our street at all hours of the night

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/4f/d7/ea/marblehead-harbor.jpg

Lone Wolf
2011-05-31, 10:56

damascus. but the tourons on the creeper trail are mostly nice. unlike the thru-hikers who use and abuse

Lugnut
2011-05-31, 11:11
I live in one of the top 10 tourist destinations for all of Europe.
We have 18 beaches and more than 20 5 star resorts, many within 2 miles of me.
It is now low season and we are enjoying it.
Very quiet here in Phuket Thailand now.

Thailand is in Europe now? When did that happen? :albertein

mudhead
2011-05-31, 11:36
Generally just people looking for fun and adventure.
Mudhead loves them over Acadia way.

Most are really decent people. It's a numbers thing. I root for the blackflies.

Campground about 2 miles as the crow flies. Sunday morning - What is that smell? Bacon and woodsmoke. Made me smile. Took a hmmm to place it.

Thailand is in Europe now? When did that happen? :albertein

Destination for Europeans. Big time. Can't blame them.

Tin Man
2011-05-31, 12:37
On my section hikes, I have noticed how tourons seem to collect near scenic rivers and mountain tops accessible by means other than hiking. Places like, DWG, High PT NJ, Stratton VT, Killington VT, Mt. Washington, Pinkham Notch, to name a few, have a high concentration of tourons who think perfume will kill any potential for BO should they actually break a sweat. Well, I gotta tell you, if they venture onto the trail at all, they still stink... and there is nothing worse than having a whiff of sweet perfume and putrid BO... :ahhhhh: YMMV :aetsch:

saimyoji
2011-05-31, 13:15
Old Spice does a good job of gettnig rid of hiking BO. Lots of alcohol in it though; can be iritating. Drives the ladies wild too.....

GGS
2011-05-31, 23:14
I used to live in Indian River, MI. Small tourist town in the northern Lower Peninsula. We always called the tourists "fudgies" because they all visited the Mackinac Island and bought fudge.

sheepdog
2011-05-31, 23:34
I used to live in Indian River, MI. Small tourist town in the northern Lower Peninsula. We always called the tourists "fudgies" because they all visited the Mackinac Island and bought fudge.

They're still called fudgies, trunk-slammers, etc....

Tuckahoe
2011-06-01, 00:02
I live in Williamsburg, live a couple blocks from Colonial Williamsburg and work at one of our fine area museum. So tourism pays my bills. I actually do love living in a tourist destination and the great majority of people are awesome.

fiddlehead
2011-06-01, 00:26
I live in Williamsburg, live a couple blocks from Colonial Williamsburg and work at one of our fine area museum. So tourism pays my bills. I actually do love living in a tourist destination and the great majority of people are awesome.

Yeah, I guess I used to be one, now I make money off of them.
I agree, most of them are pretty cool.
At least they're out there seeing the world.
Not sitting home watching TV.

Loads of Russians here lately.
The women are HOT!

JoeyB
2011-06-01, 07:06

you do have a point.
as much as locals anywhere hold tourons in varying levels of contempt, in this area they do bring in a ton of cash into the counties surrounding the Smokey's.
these counties have no other industry to bring in revenue or add to the tax base.
so i guess the more, 3 for $10 t-shirts, and pancake breakfasts they buy, the better for the local businesses.

and in all reality,
the ones that actually do venture off the sidewalks of Gatlinburg and go into the mountains, never hike more than about a mile or so up any particular trail anyway.

Crikey
2011-06-01, 10:13

When I worked in Asheville we called them Flatlanders.

I have nothing at all against tourists, they bring money to the community. As long as it's just money. Leave the attitude at home.

john pickett
2011-06-01, 10:26
"When I worked in Asheville we called them Flatlanders."
Oddly, that was the term used in the "Li'l Abner" comic strip for tourists visiting the mountains. The more things change........

Crikey
2011-06-01, 10:32
"When I worked in Asheville we called them Flatlanders."
Oddly, that was the term used in the "Li'l Abner" comic strip for tourists visiting the mountains. The more things change........

Hmm. Maybe that's where it came from. I worked with some old timers...

sheepdog
2011-06-01, 20:19
Tourons:
Steal wood from your wood pile.
Cut your lilac bushes for marshmallow roasters.
Stay up late yelling, shooting fireworks and playing loud music when you have to work in the am.
Throw garbage everywhere.
Try to park their car, truck and boat on your grass.
Have picnics on your dock and use your boat for a diving raft.
Let their unleashed non-obedient dogs run everywhere.
Let their unleashed non-obedient kids run everywhere.
Then loudly proclaim, " I'm on vacation and spend a lot of money here. I can do what ever I want."
Tourons are often, ticketed, jailed and beaten.
Most tourist are fine people.

vonfrick
2011-06-01, 22:17
there's always half beers on my stoop summer mornings

saimyoji
2011-06-02, 09:26
when i was living in japan, at one point i lived in one of the most famous little towns for pottery in that area of the country. so on certain festival weekends tourons would flock there in the thousands, the population of the town would tripple. anyways, i come home from work one day to find a family of 6 camped out on my front stoop having a picnic. i had to chase them away, but they had the gall to be iritated with me.....

....fuckknuckles....

Russell
2011-06-02, 10:25
....fuckknuckles....

Can you say that in Japanese?

Gray Blazer
2011-06-02, 10:33
Godzilla?

Hog On Ice
2011-06-02, 10:39

baka

Amigi
2011-06-02, 11:13
I live in Florida....

Gray Blazer
2011-06-02, 11:45
I live in Florida....

Yankee Tourons!

(Wattup, Amigi?)

Ewker
2011-06-02, 12:44
Tourist season nevers ends in Nashville...always some jerk wads wanting to listen to country music :argh:

Spogatz
2011-06-02, 14:12

apparently it is the same word in Japanese according to Google Translate...

Stir Fry
2011-07-31, 08:39
Try Concord NC. No one knows where it at, but we have the Charlotte Motor Speedway, Concord Mills Mall. Number 1 and 2 Tourist attractions in the state of North Carolina. My observation is that people come from out of state and think they do not have to follow the rules. I mean hell look at all the money they are spending. We should give then some leway right.

mudhead
2011-07-31, 09:54
http://hikinghq.net/forum/images/editor/attach.gif

Now that's a touron.

Tin Man
2011-07-31, 11:40
http://hikinghq.net/forum/images/editor/attach.gif

Now that's a touron.

looks like a less-on

sheepdog
2011-07-31, 20:18
Try Concord NC. No one knows where it at, but we have the Charlotte Motor Speedway, Concord Mills Mall. Number 1 and 2 Tourist attractions in the state of North Carolina. My observation is that people come from out of state and think they do not have to follow the rules. I mean hell look at all the money they are spending. We should give then some leway right.

basic touron logic

Cuffs
2011-07-31, 22:21
Loving NOLA! 'cept when the damn cuise ship makes port... touron everyfuckinwhere!

Nearly Normal
2011-07-31, 22:36
Have some Community coffee and beignets on the corner befo the heat of the day boo.

Lugnut
2011-07-31, 23:05
Loving NOLA! 'cept when the damn cuise ship makes port... touron everyfuckinwhere!

My daughter left from there yesterday. She gets back next Saturday. Can you be at the dock and welcome her back. :angel:

Cuffs
2011-07-31, 23:06
I was met at the train station with a hot coffee and beignets from Cafe DuMonde, Friday afternoon! Train leaves out at 7am tomorrow... :-(

Cuffs
2011-07-31, 23:08
My daughter left from there yesterday. She gets back next Saturday. Can you be at the dock and welcome her back. :angel:

No Kidding! That would be on Carnival... I saw that boat! I certainly wish I could be here for her and any of yall's that would visit. But thats not going to happen til next month. We looked at several houses over the last 2 days but cant seem to make our minds up. We both want the same things but cant find the right house!

Nearly Normal
2011-07-31, 23:39
Put you're feet up kiddo.
Relax.

ki0eh
2011-08-01, 20:45
Here we live in a quiet corner of "The Sweetest Place on Earth". We can usually avoid the tourist traffic - except when the world's largest antique car show comes to town in October, those folks know the back roads too between here and the trails. My wife recently had as her project a "create your own candy bar" attraction so I guess we do actually get money from visitors.

fiddlehead
2011-08-02, 07:14
Mmmmm,
Define tourist: Noun: A person who is traveling or visiting a place for pleasure
So, here we are, a group of hikers (long distance mostly I believe) and some are finding fault with tourists. (even talk of shooting them FFS)
Reminds me of my niece who is a travel agent and hates tourists.
I tell her: "you don't shit where you eat"

Superman
2011-08-02, 07:58
Mmmmm,
Define tourist: Noun: A person who is traveling or visiting a place for pleasure
So, here we are, a group of hikers (long distance mostly I believe) and some are finding fault with tourists. (even talk of shooting them FFS)

It's "us" against "them.":angel:

JoeyB
2011-08-02, 10:43
It's "us" against "them.":angel:

i thought we weren't supposed to talk about politics or politicians any longer ???

:ahhhhh:

JoeyB
2011-08-02, 10:47
i like traveling down a trail and encountering a group of the, "how much faaarrrrrrrrtherrr" crowd.

especially when i know they have quite a bit of distance and/or ascending yet to do.
my response is always, "it's just little bit up the trail, you're almost there".

MonkeyBoy
2011-08-02, 11:06
My response is usually "five more minutes", and then they start hustling down the trail rapidly........

My scouts have learned that when I say "five more minutes" to not believe me.

Tuckahoe
2011-08-02, 11:48
Mmmmm,

Damn! we need a thread trashing locals...

woodsy
2011-08-02, 13:09
i like traveling down a trail and encountering a group of the, "how much faaarrrrrrrrtherrr" crowd.

especially when i know they have quite a bit of distance and/or ascending yet to do.
my response is always, "it's just little bit up the trail, you're almost there".

damn, and i though i was the only one that said things like that .

"Its just around the next corner" is my favorite. :angel:

Big Mac
2011-08-02, 17:44

So we've met?

Rockhound
2011-08-02, 20:26

Okie dokie. I was just in Palmerton PA. Stayed at the jailhouse hostel. I tell you that town is frickin' eerie. It's like Stepford town. Everyone is so damn nice. It aint right I tell ya.

Oh yea. Eat at Berts.

Superman
2011-08-02, 21:06
Okie dokie. I was just in Palmerton PA. Stayed at the jailhouse hostel. I tell you that town is frickin' eerie. It's like Stepford town. Everyone is so damn nice. It aint right I tell ya.

Oh yea. Eat at Berts.

Maybe they just liked you...huh...never mind.:angel:

JoeyB
2011-08-03, 10:11
So we've met?

well if so, i was out of earshot when you figured out you weren't as close as you'd been led to believe.

JoeyB
2011-08-03, 10:16

most locals tend to return fire.
http://s1.postimage.org/84d0jnlv9/g1228485545500.jpg
we know all the good hiding spots.

Big Mac
2011-08-03, 11:08
well if so, i was out of earshot when you figured out you weren't as close as you'd been led to believe.

Nah, if I'm going uphill I'm usually concentrating on breathing and not having a heart attack. :beer:

sheepdog
2011-08-03, 11:29
Mmmmm,

nothing against tourist.

it tourons we can't stand

big difference

Cuffs
2011-08-03, 12:57
nothing against tourist.

it tourons we can't stand

big difference

I agree! When Yak was first showing me around NOLA, I was certainly a tourist. I wanted to see everything, all the cool voodoo shops, the great little cafes, the festivals. But especially with a local for a tour guide, I didnt feel nor look like a tourist or touron for that matter.

Note, if you get to the Quarter, locals wear closed shoes, they know its dirty and sandals are out of the question. Want to quickly identify the tourists, look at their shoes...

Lone Wolf
2011-08-03, 13:02
Mmmmm,

i find fault with most hikers walking through damascus. for the most part all other tourists are fine

Weary
2011-08-04, 15:30
Okay. Let's have as show of hands. All those who have never asked "how much further?" Raise their hands. All those who have never been a tourist raise their hands.

The vote was unanimous to both queries. No hands were raised.

enviro
2011-08-04, 15:32
I agree! When Yak was first showing me around NOLA, I was certainly a tourist. I wanted to see everything, all the cool voodoo shops, the great little cafes, the festivals. But especially with a local for a tour guide, I didnt feel nor look like a tourist or touron for that matter.

Note, if you get to the Quarter, locals wear closed shoes, they know its dirty and sandals are out of the question. Want to quickly identify the tourists, look at their shoes...

I found a shop in the Quarter that sold nothing but hot sauce. Some fine hot sauce. Had crackers and you could taste test many of them. Bought "Yo Yo Mama" and "Bayou Butt Burner".

enviro
2011-08-04, 15:33
Okay. Let's have as show of hands. All those who have never asked "how much further?" Raise their hands. All those who have never been a tourist raise their hands.

The vote was unanimous to both queries. No hands were raised.

I didn't raise mine.

Cuffs
2011-08-04, 16:14
I found a shop in the Quarter that sold nothing but hot sauce. Some fine hot sauce. Had crackers and you could taste test many of them. Bought "Yo Yo Mama" and "Bayou Butt Burner".

Ifn you ever need a resupply, let me know!

MonkeyBoy
2011-08-04, 16:28
http://shop.tonychachere.com/images/Cajun-Power-Garlic-Sauce-LG.jpg

Best stuff ever for marinade

General
2011-08-04, 20:46
I didn't raise mine.

i fit in in alaska. now, that's scary.

Weary
2011-08-04, 21:22
I didn't raise mine.Of course not. You didn't read the instructions. A none vote wasn't counted. So far I haven't seen any yes votes. But feel free to change your vote. I may or not record it, seeming as how the poll has ended.

Weary
2011-08-04, 21:26
I didn't raise mine.
Of course not. Had you raised your hand you would have been stupid. Didn't you read the instructions?

You didn't believe that I would post a poll that would oppose what I believe, did you?

sheepdog
2011-08-04, 21:26
are you counting chads??

Weary
2011-08-04, 21:27
I didn't raise mine.
Good for you. You did just right.

sheepdog
2011-08-04, 21:29
Good for you. You did just right.

looks like your hand is raised on your avatar

Weary
2011-08-04, 21:30
are you counting chads??
we don't pay any attention to dissidents. We are taking our guidance from the Supreme Court of this, the United States of America.

sheepdog
2011-08-04, 21:31
we don't pay any attention to dissidents. We are taking our guidance from the Supreme Court of this, the United States of America.

just a second while I stand and put my hand over my heart

as you were

Weary
2011-08-04, 21:44
just a second while I stand and put my hand over my heart.
as you were
A wise move. I do the same frequently, as i check whether the pig valve that resides in my chest now, and I hope, forever, or at least until I go for my heavenly rewards. if any, still seems to be working.

FWIW. The docs who put in the valve said pig was chosen because it eliminates any future problems or special procedures. Somehow, the medical profession continues to insist on expensive procedures that allegedly might save my life.

Whatever, as long as the pain desists and I can still wander into the woods and hills from time to time, I'll be happy -- though maybe a bit vocal.

sheepdog
2011-08-04, 22:05
A wise move. I do the same frequently, as i check whether the pig valve that resides in my chest now, and I hope, forever, or at least until I go for my heavenly rewards. if any, still seems to be working.

FWIW. The docs who put in the valve said pig was chosen because it eliminates any future problems or special procedures. Somehow, the medical profession continues to insist on expensive procedures that allegedly might save my life.

Whatever, as long as the pain desists and I can still wander into the woods and hills from time to time, I'll be happy -- though maybe a bit vocal.

A friend of mine had a mechanical valve put in. He says the clicking noise it makes at times drives him crazy.

sheepdog
2011-09-05, 20:34
They are gone...

You could shoot a cannon down the street and not hit anyone.

saaaaaweeeeeet!!!

woodsy
2011-09-05, 22:20
They are gone...

You could shoot a cannon down the street and not hit anyone.

saaaaaweeeeeet!!!

:dito:

But them ones Mudhead has aren't so easy to get rid of, National Park in his backyard and all.

mudhead
2011-09-11, 20:32
Friggin' antheap. Used to be the day after Labor Day newspaper blew down the main drag and dogs slept on the curb.

Premium day today tho. 40*F this AM. Clear day.