PDA

View Full Version : Coffee on the trail

Tin Man
2011-06-01, 13:50
I love Coffee on the trail. I have tried the following...

1) Percolator
2) French Press
3) One Cup Drip
4) Folgers Singles
5) Mini-Espresso Maker

They all have pros and cons., but I have a hard time making it taste as good as home brewed... then I found washing the scotch out from the night before helps.

What is your favorite trail coffee method?

Crikey
2011-06-01, 13:51
Cowboy coffee.

French roast thrown into boiling water. Filter with bandana.

Lugnut
2011-06-01, 14:16
Skids has a couple good YouTube videos on making real coffee.

Gray Blazer
2011-06-01, 14:19
Instant with a shot of whiskey works for me and it's pretty easy.

JoeyB
2011-06-01, 14:34
Cowboy coffee.

that's pretty much the best way i know.
that and those tubes of instant.

not the best, but hey, it's caffeine.

Hog On Ice
2011-06-01, 14:40
caffeine - yet another addiction I have recovered from - it is possible to live without coffee

MonkeyBoy
2011-06-01, 14:51
caffeine - yet another addiction I have recovered from - it is possible to live without coffee

Blasphemer!!!

Shun the Unbeliever!!

Crikey
2011-06-01, 14:54

Put him on moderated status!

:aetsch:

Kanga
2011-06-01, 14:56

i am unfriending you..

Tin Man
2011-06-01, 14:57
that's pretty much the best way i know.
that and those tubes of instant.

not the best, but hey, it's caffeine.

I'm going for quality here. I did try Starbucks tubes. Not bad.

Gray Blazer
2011-06-01, 14:57

Inconceivable!!

Kanga
2011-06-01, 14:58
Cowboy coffee.

i make mine similarly. breakfast blend spooned into a round mesh filter that nestles right into my small pot/cup perfectly. add hot water. pull out the filter (w/ grounds) when i think it's strong enough (depends on the day..)

http://www.cooking.com/images/products/shprodde/435371.jpg

JoeyB
2011-06-01, 14:59

but why would anyone want to ???

i abstain from bacon nowadays.
drink not near as much beer as i used to.

coffee has never let me down,
never slowed me up,
never put extra lbs. on me, or given me a hangover.

i'll not abandon a friend like that.......
http://s1.postimage.org/88bijyowz/1283448010589.jpg

JoeyB
2011-06-01, 15:05

trust me.
when we get off the trail after 4-5 days, two things are priority.
mexican food......
http://s1.postimage.org/ivh32yrh9/f1232864827686.jpg

and coffee.....
http://s1.postimage.org/mf6dj068a/1283281329432.jpg

and not necessarily in that order.

Tin Man
2011-06-01, 15:06
I eat big ON the trail.

vonfrick
2011-06-01, 15:12

Blasphemer!!!

Shun the Unbeliever!!

i am unfriending you..

Inconceivable!!

:dito:

Hog On Ice
2011-06-01, 16:14
well yeah that was about what I was expecting from y'all but

as for coffee never slowing you down ??? it adds to your pack weight and does not help with the hydration

no hangover??? never had a caffeine headache huh?

ever had one of the LNT aaaahhhh trainers complain about you tossing the coffee grounds into the bushes???

Russell
2011-06-01, 16:17

as for coffee never slowing you down ??? it adds to your pack weight and does not help with the hydration

ever had one of the LNT aaaahhhh trainers complain about you tossing the coffee grounds into the bushes???

No. No. No. No. No. To all of the above.

Hog On Ice
2011-06-01, 16:21
ahhh Mala gets it

the main thing one needs in recovery is the ability to say "No."

Two Speed
2011-06-01, 16:22
Soooo, HOI, what you're trying to say is you have no trouble making all the coffee you want any time you want it on the trail.

Got it.

Hog On Ice
2011-06-01, 16:24
you got that right - I can make all the coffee I _want_ anytime anywhere

cool breeze
2011-06-01, 16:25
I use the MSR mug-mate, kind of like what Kanga uses, but I put the grounds directly in my pot of boiling water, wait till it starts to boil again take it off the flame let it sit a minute to get strong, then pour it through the strainer into my cup, perfect coffee every time. I even use it at home if I'm making just one cup.

SGT Rock
2011-06-01, 16:25

I wouldn't want to. :p

I like these:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51KGJPGGKKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

You can get them in different blends. Make hot water, put a couple of these in a cup, add hot water and press the pod a few times with a spoon to get out all the good flavor. Use the pod directions for strength and amount - about 2 pods make a good 12 ounce cup of coffee, leaving 4 ounces in a pint to make some grits.

No extra filters, presses, or anything else to screw with. When they are "done" I tear them open and bury the grounds in the duff layer and pack out the paper.

MonkeyBoy
2011-06-01, 16:55

I'll ditto that........just a little more pricey is all.

MonkeyBoy
2011-06-01, 17:00

Instant coffee tubes weigh next to nothing.

And I've never had a caffeine headache and have gone weeks without caffeine (and recently, since they told me to check that before I was diagnosed, just to make sure it wasn't an issue.....had me do the same with gluten).

And I am a LNT Trainer.....that's why I don't use grounds. And if I did, I'd bury them just like feces. Actually is very good for the soil. I put them in my staghorn and elkhorn ferns, along with banana peels. Makes them grow like crazy.

Crikey
2011-06-01, 17:00
the main thing one needs in recovery is the ability to say "No."

Nuthin' worse than a reformed caffeine addict.

Amigi
2011-06-01, 17:01
I use instant with powdered creamer. Gets the job done.

MonkeyBoy
2011-06-01, 17:06
Drinking coffee is perfectly natural.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/54/172744389_66a692ec32.jpg

Russell
2011-06-01, 19:30
Mala. Coffee. I have been known to make some good coffee.

For 10 years I made cowboy coffee at TDs. one year I made 60 gallons in 5 days.

But I did not make any this year and everyone lived, I think.

It sure was nice to wake up at dawn and roll over and go back to sleep for an hour.

fiddlehead
2011-06-01, 19:31
I use instant with powdered creamer. Gets the job done.

Yeah me too.
Keep it simple.
I've been drinking instant now for about 8 years and have discovered that Nescafe is better than most of the others.

The other day, I was in a restaurant that is supposedly known for it's good coffee.
It tasted strange, too strong and a bit burnt to me.

So, a taste can be acquired for almost anything.

Jim Henderson
2011-06-01, 19:40
I am not one of those who can tell which side of the tree a bean was grown on. I am pretty much the type who can tell the difference between coffee and tea so my opinion is suspect.

I just use instant coffee, especially if I have those handy little packets that you just pour into the cup. Also a fan of the non dairy creamer packets and either artificial sweetener or even sugar packets. Some asian marketes sell an all in one packet that is handy but a bit light on creamer.

Now that I have caused brain hemorrhages in the true coffee afficianados...

My other methods of coffee on the trail include a handy little Snow Peak titanium french press and any handy ground coffee, plus said accompaniments.

I have also tried one of those tiny Espresso makers but could never get it to work properly with a camp stove. I can barely make a full size one work at home on the range.

About the only coffee I won't drink is those brown mystery packets from MRE's. On occasion I will get a packet or two that could be used to peel the enamel off my teeth or to remove barnacles from a battle ship. Nasty stuff. Otherwise instant is OK by me.

Just my opinions,

Jim Henderson

sheepdog
2011-06-01, 19:56

Blasphemer!!!

Shun the Unbeliever!!

stone him :argh:

sheepdog
2011-06-01, 20:01
Instant coffee is nasty

it had to be said

Tin Man
2011-06-01, 20:07
Instant coffee is nasty

it had to be said

thank you :adore:

SGT Rock
2011-06-01, 20:31
Someone talked me into trying this stuff:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31QCELSMjWL._AA300_PIbundle-12,TopRight,0,0AA300_SH20_.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/Starbucks-VIA-ae-Ready-Colombia-Coffee/dp/B001UHHXU2

It was good coffee for instant but kind of expensive.

Seems like the Senso pod stuff was about half as much if I remember correctly. You can find both options at Target.

sheepdog
2011-06-01, 20:35
Instant coffee is nasty

it had to be repeated

Kanga
2011-06-01, 20:38
ok. for you people that can't get it through your thick skulls and apparently have no taste buds:

instant coffee is not real coffee. it's kinda like comparing rubber dog shit outta japan to the turd your dog just shit on the lawn. they may look the same, and you might be able to light them both on fire, but the satisfaction just isn't there.

sheepdog
2011-06-01, 20:45
ok. for you people that can't get it through your thick skulls and apparently have no taste buds:

instant coffee is not real coffee. it's kinda like comparing rubber dog shit outta japan to the turd your dog just shit on the lawn. they may look the same, and you might be able to light them both on fire, but the satisfaction just isn't there.

hahahahahahahahahahaha

Russell
2011-06-01, 21:01
Instant coffee is nasty

it had to be repeated

Instant coffee is nasty.

It had to be repeated.:albertein

sheepdog
2011-06-01, 21:03
Instant coffee is nasty.

It had to be repeated.:albertein

:dito:

Skidsteer
2011-06-01, 21:05
Instant coffee is to coffee what cool whip is to whipped cream.

sheepdog
2011-06-01, 21:07
or a fish stick compared to fresh lobster

woodsy
2011-06-01, 21:09
People actually drink instant coffee, ? OMG !!!

ed bell
2011-06-01, 21:20
I'd like to add that instant coffee is nasty......If you like instant coffee, congratulations, the mind can be trained to react in unnatural ways and you are on the path to true enlightenment. I'm trying to get there too, but instant coffee ain't part of the plan.....:coffee:

Russell
2011-06-01, 21:22
I'd like to add that instant coffee is nasty......If you like instant coffee, congratulations, the mind can be trained to react in unnatural ways and you are on the path to true enlightenment. I'm trying to get there too, but instant coffee ain't part of the plan.....:coffee:

:congrats::congrats::congrats::coffee:

Hog On Ice
2011-06-01, 21:31
instant coffee is to fresh brewed coffee much the same as city water is to fresh spring water

both will get the job done but given a choice ...

Skidsteer
2011-06-01, 21:33
Instant coffee is to coffee what Miracle Whip is to Mayonnaise.

woodsy
2011-06-01, 21:35

No comparison ?

Crikey
2011-06-01, 21:42
Don't drink flavored coffee. Nastier than instant. The rankest of the rank that don't sell, gets flavored.

Two Speed
2011-06-01, 21:45

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31QCELSMjWL._AA300_PIbundle-12,TopRight,0,0AA300_SH20_.jpg

Seems like the Senso pod stuff was about half as much if I remember correctly. You can find both options at Target.Tried it. Bleeeeeeh. What's worse is someone decided I should go to Starbucks more often and gave me a gift card, which I wasted on that stuff. Coulda scored a coupla danish or something. :banghead:
Instant coffee is to coffee what cool whip is to whipped cream.Says he of the cheez whiz clan. :bandit:

Went through a phase where I had to have "good" coffee on the trail.

I'm over it, unless someone else is carrying the coffee press. Instant is just fine when I'm on the trail.

Nearly Normal
2011-06-01, 21:53

.......and Miracle Whip sucks.

vonfrick
2011-06-01, 22:15
whole jar of instant
about the same size jar of creamora
prolly 2 mocha general foods thingers
whatever hot chocolate mix i have leftover from the winter when i had a craving
shit ton of equals
rest of the dry nido leftover after putting it in with the liptons
cinnamon

mix all together split up into baggies for the summer

Skidsteer
2011-06-01, 22:20
Instant coffee is to coffee what Red Ryder is to .30-06.

MonkeyBoy
2011-06-01, 22:25
whole jar of instant
about the same size jar of creamora
prolly 2 mocha general foods thingers
whatever hot chocolate mix i have leftover from the winter when i had a craving
shit ton of equals
rest of the dry nido leftover after putting it in with the liptons
cinnamon

mix all together split up into baggies for the summer

Exactly how many Equals is a shit ton???

Kanga
2011-06-01, 22:27
.......and Miracle Whip sucks.

amen! that shit isn't worth anything but making up a quick tartar sauce when you're caught in a jam.

Skidsteer
2011-06-01, 22:30
Instant coffee is to coffee what tofu is to bacon.

Debate over.

MonkeyBoy
2011-06-01, 22:31
Better yet.

Instant coffee is to coffee what hummus is to anything not made out of wet cardboard.

vonfrick
2011-06-01, 22:35
Exactly how many Equals is a shit ton???

its a metric unit equivalent to 1000 millishit tons

Tin Man
2011-06-01, 22:36
Instant coffee is to coffee what tofu is to bacon.

Debate over.

Better yet.

Instant coffee is to coffee what hummus is to anything not made out of wet cardboard.

or what attroll is to sgt rock :bandit:

Skidsteer
2011-06-01, 22:42
Better yet.

Oh Hell, I can't believe you went there. :biggrin:

vonfrick
2011-06-01, 22:44
there's a damned hippie on my couch for the next week who brought his own hummus

MonkeyBoy
2011-06-01, 22:46
Oh Hell, I can't believe you went there. :biggrin:

I'm a rebel......

MonkeyBoy
there's a damned hippie on my couch for the next week who brought his own hummus

I never took Sly for the hummus eating type...... :)

JoeyB

lack of caffeine will slow my initial morning pace.

when the two of us hit the trail, i'm the one carrying the,
sven saw.
water filter.
alcohol fuel.
beer can stove.
among other things.
still am well below 20% of my body weight as far as pack weight.
the infinitesimal weight of 4-5 days worth of coffee barely moves the needle on the scale.

never had a caffeine headache.

but.......can't say that about other distilled liquids.
http://s3.postimage.org/djefipvmi/1228435579607.jpg

this could outdo the entertainment value of the numerous "campfire or no campfire" threads we've all seen on other boards.

JoeyB
2011-06-01, 22:52

japanese dogs shyt rubber ???

Ray
2011-06-01, 23:09
There ain't nothin like those little french press coffee travel mugs made by a lot of different companies, like REI, and they double as plain old mugs, cups, bowls, whatever the hell other reason, who cares?, they make great coffee.

At work we were issued fireproof safes for important data, bless our management's heart, but since all my data's digital I only keep my chicory blend and FP mug in the safe. When I leave home for a biz trip there's a FP in my suitcase. On an overnite hike or more there's one in my pack.

Then if you're carrying roasted ground pure coffee you are carrying way too much weight. All the chicory blends recommend using 1/2 to 1/4 the amount compared to pure coffee. That gives a pure dark roast tasting smooth totally non-bitter hot drink that'll get you up and moving and jonesing for another cup.

Need more caffeine? Some loose leaf black tea in a ziplock made extra strong then poured into a Powerade/Gatoraid bottle and diluted with cold spring water will get your head into the game and your bones ready to move down the trail.

Works for me, that's all I can say.

Weary
2011-06-02, 00:21
But why would one want to?

Weary
2011-06-02, 00:23

See if we can get Alligator over here quick.

Tin Man
2011-06-02, 00:25
See if we can get Alligator over here quick.

he's too much of a wuss to show his pathetic, gutless, slimey hide over here... he is hhq's biggest lurker, but never posts

Weary
2011-06-02, 00:27
LNT trainers don't hike, they just lecture. I figure that if a creator can put up with slightly buried poop, she'll also be okay with a few tossed coffee grounds.

MonkeyBoy
2011-06-02, 00:55
LNT trainers don't hike, they just lecture.

Nope. I'm an active LNT trainer, and I hike. And, unlike others, I practice what I preach.

SGT Rock
2011-06-02, 00:55
LNT trainers don't hike, they just lecture. I figure that if a creator can put up with slightly buried poop, she'll also be okay with a few tossed coffee grounds.

Outstanding post. Reminds me of why I like Weary so much. :beer:

Sweetpeastu
2011-06-02, 07:04

But who the hell wants to?

vonfrick
2011-06-02, 07:23
I never took Sly for the hummus eating type...... :)

its the other hippie...we're goin to walmart later :biggrin:

woodsy
2011-06-02, 07:41

Figures the dirty dog would wait till Wargys in the maine woods to show up.

Taking him to wal-mart is one way to get rid of his ass, just sayen, we know he can't control hissself there.

MonkeyBoy
2011-06-02, 09:20

Just make sure he buys some boots while he's there.....

sheepdog
2011-06-02, 10:04

hahahahahahahahaha

Amigi
2011-06-02, 11:08
Lol at all the Gucci hikers needing their presses.... cowboy the f up.

Kanga
2011-06-02, 11:19

wait, brain fart. i think it's hong kongese dogs. my bad.

saimyoji
2011-06-02, 11:50
wait, brain fart. i think it's hong kongese dogs. my bad.

Stinger: And if you screw up just this much, you'll be flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong!

Maverick: Yes, sir!

JoeyB
2011-06-02, 11:58
Stinger: And if you screw up just this much, you'll be flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong!

Maverick: Yes, sir!

not a bad gig actually.
especially if you're in control of the bombay doors and you have a good navigator/spotter.........
http://s4.postimage.org/5y0kfgf9v/g1229952872998.jpg

Hog On Ice
2011-06-02, 12:05
rubber dog shit from Hong Kong ....

so thats where those real chewy bits in the stir fry come from

Ewker
2011-06-02, 12:52

Seems like the Senso pod stuff was about half as much if I remember correctly. You can find both options at Target.

We use the Starbucks Via also. We can get it cheaper at Costco that any place.
Every now and them I will pickup the 7 or 10 pack of Tasters Choice

http://deals.spotshoppingguide.com/wp-content/uploads/nescaf%C3%A9_tasters_choice1.png

Crikey
2011-06-02, 12:55
Chew on these.

sheepdog
2011-06-02, 12:57
Chew on these.

oh yeah!!!

saimyoji
2011-06-02, 15:19
i'd rather chew on these (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://fl2.shopmania.org/files/images/14919/gummy-boobs-candy-5-35-oz~14918581.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.shopmania.com/adult/p-gummy-boobs-candy-5-35-oz-14918581&usg=__FM8mHrW4TD_qrpjrUgoa8mfmLug=&h=200&w=147&sz=18&hl=en&start=9&zoom=1&tbnid=pdwd0Hpml4hU4M:&tbnh=104&tbnw=76&ei=2NPnTcecKanf0QGgqODECg&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dfunny%2Bgummies%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26 sa%3DN%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7ADFA_en%26biw%3D1020%26bih%3D 637%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1)

Hog On Ice
2011-06-02, 15:36
and they will be good in your old age when all you can do is to gum them

vonfrick
2011-06-02, 17:22
Taking him to wal-mart is one way to get rid of his ass, just sayen, we know he can't control hissself there.

its sad really, he said one of his dreams in life was to be a greeter

vonfrick
2011-06-02, 17:33
actually i was glad he was still here when i got home from work. last night he said something about catching the bus out to springfield to go looting :biggrin:

sheepdog
2011-06-02, 17:34

would kind o be like Jack Nicholson looking through the hole he just chopped into the door and saying.

"Welcome to Wal-mart."

(past pic of the shining with Jack N. here)

seven
2011-06-02, 17:36
We use the Starbucks Via also. We can get it cheaper at Costco that any place.
Every now and them I will pickup the 7 or 10 pack of Tasters Choice

http://deals.spotshoppingguide.com/wp-content/uploads/nescaf%C3%A9_tasters_choice1.png

http://www.tasterschoice.com/offers/free-sample.aspx

Free sample from Taster Choice, you get a sample pack

sheepdog
2011-06-02, 17:38
it needs re-repeating

instant coffee is just nasty

sheepdog
2011-06-02, 17:41

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2Wraxo-hP7o/S8iaaJjOFEI/AAAAAAAABvk/0r5xLVuEXgM/s1600/The_shining_heres_johnny.jpg

Welcome to Wal-Mart

Russell
2011-06-02, 17:59
it needs re-repeating

instant coffee is just nasty

Instant coffee is just nasty.

woodsy
2011-06-02, 19:09
I just hope he is getting over his recent crisis. Probably has a different outlook on life nowadays....

vonfrick
2011-06-02, 20:18
I just hope he is getting over his recent crisis. Probably has a different outlook on life nowadays....

fucker still don't like cheese...it's goddamned un-american...i had to make 2 seperate dinners...sheesh

JoeyB
2011-06-02, 20:24

and then dreams fades away and reality sets in.........
http://s1.postimage.org/qgmmwzpnc/1265662082757.jpg

Ewker
2011-06-02, 21:58
http://www.tasterschoice.com/offers/free-sample.aspx

Free sample from Taster Choice, you get a sample pack

thanks, just signed up for that nasty instant coffee :bootyshak

MonkeyBoy
2011-06-02, 22:26
The Taster Choice flavors are really good for the money. I like the Columbian

saimyoji
2011-06-03, 08:52
fucker still don't like cheese...it's goddamned un-american...i had to make 2 seperate dinners...sheesh

he's got you makin him dinner? wow.......:albertein

SunnyWalker
2011-06-03, 10:01
I've tried the press in the cup and etc., but always come back to instant Nescafe Tasters Choice. I signed up for the samples Thanks! At home I grind beans and do it up big. On the trail I don't like carrying anything extra even if it is so light. Just give me my cofee, man . . . ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Ewker
2011-06-03, 12:25
The Taster Choice flavors are really good for the money. I like the Columbian

I agree the Columbian is the best one. Not sure I would want to do the Hazelnut one...sure hope that isn't what they send me :afraid:

seven
2011-06-03, 12:32
I agree the Columbian is the best one. Not sure I would want to do the Hazelnut one...sure hope that isn't what they send me :afraid:

they send one pack of each flavor

Ewker
2011-06-03, 12:44
they send one pack of each flavor

good to know

vonfrick
2011-06-03, 17:16
he's got you makin him dinner? wow.......:albertein

i just cook...if someone else is around, they get to eat...just how it works. the kid can go to college and move away, but the mom thing is a hard habit to break.

walkingbear
2012-10-02, 15:27
I have a one cup thing; the nice thing is it fit my 32oz insulted mug! As I ususally car camp I have milk or instant milk to add. I also can as the day goes on iceit down and drink it that way (yeah, I know that is equal to the I quit statements made earlier) Iwill drink it hot at breakfast cold the rest of the day. Theonly issue I have is I need to figure the right amountof coffee to put in to make the perfecct cup. Oh yeah; I hate instant coffee; it is worst than my worst cup of single brew coffee!

Cuffs
2012-10-02, 18:36
Youre doin it wrong. You dont need to figure out who much coffee to put in the cup, you figure out how much water goes into the coffee.

Rosaleen
2012-10-02, 20:47
Somewhere SGT Rock posted that he made a coffee bag from some leftover mosquito netting. Soon after, i spotted some organza wedding favor bags at a "dollar store." I know you guys don't spend a LOT of time going through wedding parphenalia, but these little bags are 5 or 6 to a pack, so about $.20/bag. I finally tried dumping a measure of coffee grounds into a bag, pulling the drawstring tight and letting it sit in hot water. Wow, coffee! Easy, lightweight, cheap, compact. Yea!

walkingbear
2012-10-03, 11:14
Youre doin it wrong. You dont need to figure out who much coffee to put in the cup, you figure out how much water goes into the coffee.

Yes; but the mug only will hold 32 ozs therefore I need to figure the coffee; the water is fixed at 32 ozs if I want a full mug,WHICH I DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kanga
2012-10-03, 19:48
4 heaping tablespoons.

Skidsteer
2012-10-03, 20:14
32 oz is not a mug. It's a belly washer. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

SGT Rock
2012-10-04, 12:20
My trail mug is only about 16 ounces.

Cuffs
2012-10-04, 12:30
32 oz is not a mug. It's a belly washer. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Thats only a nalgene...

sheepdog
2012-10-04, 20:11
My trail mug is only about 16 ounces.

mug sniffer!!

walkingbear
2012-10-05, 21:03
The 32 is used car camping! Yeah SGT mine trail (as in carrying it in a pack) would be in the 12 to 16 oz!

Jim Henderson
2012-10-06, 16:04

MY typical mug is 128oz, that's 1 US Gallon. Needless to say I keep an eye open for convenient rest stops.

I had a 32 oz mug way back when those insulated mugs first started to sell at gas stations in the 80s. Over time they have gotten bigger. MY biggest but not practical is a 2 gallon by Coleman. Really a jug, but it has a handle and looks like a mug. I won the "Who has the biggest mug" contest at work with that one.

But, for coffee, I just use my 52oz insulated mug. I think it is called a Bubba Keg.

Jim Henderson

saimyoji
2012-10-06, 16:15
wow. just, wow. do you happen to own an unnecessarily large truck?

Hog On Ice
2012-10-06, 16:20
one of these huh:

http://www.shopbubba.com/images/product/large/207_1_.jpg

Skidsteer
2012-10-06, 16:32

Well you'd have to have a truck to haul that much coffee.

That mug is so big it might need baffles to keep it from tipping over a vehicle around sharp curves.

Crikey
2012-10-08, 12:50
Don't those things come with an IV attachment?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-czT6QdNRr9E/TuoSmOikDPI/AAAAAAAAIc4/fNwDVZ-y4sY/w497-h373/ivcoffee.jpg

Cuffs
2012-10-08, 12:53

Jim Henderson
2012-10-08, 13:34

YES, I use it to pickup my coffee. F250 4x4 supercab longbed, weighs 7,800# and gets 10mpg, oh joy. Worth it when ya gotta get coffee.

And that picture of the mug is the Bubba Keg. I have orange and black versions. A plus to using the Bubba Keg at 7-11 is that they charge you for a regular coffee. If yous use a thermos, even though it is smaller, only 32 oz, they charge you more for the Thermos.

Jim Henderson

sheepdog
2012-10-08, 22:28

:adore::adore::adore:

walkingbear
2012-10-15, 23:26
When I live in Southwestern Kansas; the hospital took over the local heath club/gym. The Hospital Administrator made the remark that they had to do something becasuse the local Natural Gas Field hands had Mugs bigger than the weights the Physical Therapy Dept had. It was a local joke in that most of those guys carried half gallon to gallon mugs; but then again when you figure that if you broke down you had a hour to two wait for help depending on where you were.