PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Trail Recipes

Tin Man
2011-06-01, 15:15
I like to eat big on trail. That freeze dried stuff doesn't come into play for the first two days. Even then I mix it up a bit. Meals from from my last 3-dayer....

Lunch: Foot long grinder WITH hot peppers

Supper: Hot italian sausage with red and green peppers on tortilla. Red wine

BFast: Sausage, pepper and onion omelets, coffee

Lunch: Chicken, mayo, tortilla sandwiches and dried fruit

[Was going to freeze a steak for thawing and grilling second night, but AT in NJ doesn't allow campires, so...]

Supper: Bear Creek's Darn Good Chili, with peppers, onions, sausage, and pork jerky.

Breakfast: Blueberry pancakes, coffee

Lunch: Mix of bars and dried fruit

:beer:

Tin Man
2011-06-01, 15:17
Share your favorite trail recipes...

Amigi
2011-06-01, 17:05
Boil water. Add macaroni. Drain. Add powdered cheese and Spam. Yum.

I made fresh bread the last time out. I mixed up the dough and froze it. Once on the trail, after it thawed, I drizzled olive oil on it, wrapped it in tin foil, and tossed it in the fire. Made great fresh, unleavened bread for my Chef Boyardee mini raviolis.

MonkeyBoy
2011-06-01, 17:09
I like eggs

Jim Henderson
2011-06-01, 17:49
First night, a frozen steak and frozen corn wrapped in my sleeping bag. Best over fire but works OK in a fry pan.

Nightcap, minute rice with a can of chili and a mug of hot coco. Puts you right to sleep and keeps you warm naturally, especially if you have beans.

Supermarket "Packaged Dinner" isle stuff is good. Most of the packaging is burnable or just take it out of the box and bag it.

Lots of sausages and stuff in the meat and freezer section.

Precooked, vacuum sealed bacon, if you don't want the weight or grease. Real bacon if grease is you fuel.

Eggs in those plastic egg crates from backpacker stores work well the first day or two if it is cool.

Look up boy scout and Dutch oven cooking sites. LOTS of recipes and how to's. Ever cooked scrambled eggs in a baggie with NO fry pan? Works good. Fudge in a baggie too, yum. BTW eggs out of the shell and in a bottle or even baggie will work for a day or two.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Tin Man
2011-06-01, 18:40
Freezer bag boiled omelets... yummy!

MonkeyBoy
2011-06-01, 19:12
Actually, just tried a recipe for rice pudding I've been wanting to try out.

It was actually pretty decent, and will allow me to make a dessert that feeds a large group on the cheap.

Instant rice, instant vanilla pudding, raisans, cinnamon, instant milk. You could even chop up a few apricots and dried apples to put in it. Actually need to find some lemon zest to put into it and kick it up a notch.

Tin Man
2011-06-01, 20:02
I make an instant rice dinner where I substitute leek soup instead of plain water, mix in jack cheese, chopped foil chicken or salmon, dried onion, spices. Makes a hearty meal.

Kanga
2011-06-01, 20:22
stuffing, powdered chicken gravy, and one of those foil packets of tuna, the spicy flavored whatever one, tastes very much like spicy crab cakes.

sheepdog
2011-06-01, 20:24
rum, powdered apple cider, hot water, repeat as necessary

Kanga
2011-06-01, 20:31
i'm on my way.

fiddlehead
2011-06-02, 08:23
Thai curry paste and powdered coconut cream added to any pasta or rice dish.
more curry if you like hot and spicy, more coconut cream if you added too much curry or like it sweet.
Dried shrimp is good in there too.
Any oriental store or even decent supermarket will have the first 2 ingredients.
Dried mango for dessert.

Ewker
2011-06-02, 12:45
stuffing, powdered chicken gravy, and one of those foil packets of tuna, the spicy flavored whatever one, tastes very much like spicy crab cakes.

that sounds good. Adding chicken to stuff and gravy mix can get old

Ewker
2011-06-02, 12:47
I like to use Idahoan mashed potatoes (any flavor will work) and add some smoked oysters to them.

Weary
2011-06-06, 16:49
I wouldn't call it a favorite. But the meal my mail drops always contained was a small ziplock bag containing a mixture of one half cup of pasta, a half cup of quick cooking brown rice, two bouillion cubes, and some dried basil or other spice. On the trail I would add two cups of water and boil for 10 minutes.

If I had them in my pack I would sometimes add a can of chicken or tuna, a chunk of summer sausage, some powdered milk, or a bit of cheese. The concoction, in town pizzas, and all you can eat salads pretty much kept me going for the six months and three days it took to reach Katahdin.

Tin Man
2011-06-06, 16:57
I wouldn't call it a favorite. But the meal my mail drops always contained was a small ziplock bag containing a mixture of one half cup of pasta, a half cup of quick cooking brown rice, two bouillion cubes, and some dried basil or other spice. On the trail I would add two cups of water and boil for 10 minutes.

If I had them in my pack I would sometimes add a can of chicken or tuna, a chunk of summer sausage, some powdered milk, or a bit of cheese. The concoction, in town pizzas, and all you can eat salads pretty much kept me going for the six months and three days it took to reach Katahdin.

If you don't mind me asking, how old were you when you thru-ed?

Bearpaw
2011-06-06, 16:58

Weary, I'll have to try that. Just have to carry my cannister stove instead of esbit, but it sounds like a real winner.

Weary
2011-06-07, 00:03
If you don't mind me asking, how old were you when you thru-ed?
I observed my 64th birthday two weeks into my walk.

Weary
2011-06-07, 00:06
Weary, I'll have to try that. Just have to carry my cannister stove instead of esbit, but it sounds like a real winner.
I used my wood-burning Zip stove the whole way.