PDA

View Full Version : Another record dreamer starting

Tin Man
2011-06-01, 23:32
http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20110521/SPORTS/105210319/Appalachian-Trail-s-2-181-mile-hike-next-unique-challenge-Jon-Brown

Tin Man
2011-06-01, 23:40
too funny...

Brown has a plan to cover from 35 to 59.8 miles in a given day, depending on the terrain and predetermined stops. Miller [as in David Miller, AT thru-hiker/author] said the typical goal is 40 miles a day.

In 2005, Andrew Thompson, then 26, covered the trail faster than anybody, in 47 and one-half days, though he started at the north end. Thompson had a support group along the trail to handle his supplies.

That lack of support could be Brown's biggest hurdle, but Miller considers himself pro-Jon.

"I hope he does it," Miller said. "I'd love to see somebody go out there just winging it. I hate to think it's the domain solely of experts."

Sierra Echo
2011-06-01, 23:44
Nope, not gonna happen.

Tin Man
2011-06-01, 23:47
Agreed

Lone Wolf
2011-06-02, 00:46
bless his heart

MonkeyBoy
2011-06-02, 01:01
I wish him the best. For better or worse, he's at least doing what he wants to do.

We could only hope to be able to do the same.

SGT Rock
2011-06-02, 01:05
Looks like he has a better chance than Wild Cowboy.

chief
2011-06-02, 01:11
Zits and the trial don't mix!

Lone Wolf
2011-06-02, 01:14
I wish him the best. For better or worse, he's at least doing what he wants to do.

We could only hope to be able to do the same.

i so doubted minniesmith....

Elder
2011-06-02, 01:17
I met the boys Dad at Neels Gap. The boy had already done Springer to Neels with 40lbs.
He was not making the mileage he expected. He spent a large portion of his money refitting at Mountain Crossings, and started over.
His Dad expects to meet him one more time at Franklin, then return to Florida and his work. The boy will be on his own.
No trail experience..he'll go until he hurts himself..IMO.
He got lost first day on the BMT too...just sayin'

SGT Rock
2011-06-02, 01:28
Maybe he should concentrate on having a good time.

Tin Man
2011-06-02, 06:48
Maybe he should concentrate on having a good time.

bingo :top:

Tin Man
2011-06-02, 07:17
his dad is blogging...

http://tomtomrace.blogspot.com/

sounds like he is on the trail, but done with the record...

He told me that he was giving up the record, conceding that he would rather have a companion on the trail and support, before he tries it again. Physically he said he can handle it, but it just isn't as much fun all by himself all day.

how is this going to work?

Tom Tom slept in till 11:00 and we went back to Neel's Gap outfitters to buy him new shoes. His trainers were down to their last 30 miles, the soles were paper thin. He bought a pair of fancy hiking sneakers for $150. They would last the whole trail. His total funds for the rest of his trip were down to $350.

Russell
2011-06-02, 08:15
When do you think he will pass Miss Janet?

Elder
2011-06-02, 10:49
As usual, the trail teaches.
I'm glad he is listening.

Oh, Miss Janet.....Erwin?

Elder
2011-06-02, 10:50
did you mean on the trail?

Hog On Ice
2011-06-02, 10:55
any word on how Miss Janet is doing with her dog allergy in the new tent arrangement?

Spogatz
2011-06-02, 14:10
If nothing else I hope he has a good hike.

however long it takes.....

Two Speed
2011-06-02, 14:39
If all he has is $350 I'd say it's gonna be a relatively short hike. Not trying to knock the kid, but $350 ain't gonna take you too far unless you really, really like eating ramen noodles and peanut butter each and every meal.

vonfrick
2011-06-02, 14:54
If all he has is $350 I'd say it's gonna be a relatively short hike. Not trying to knock the kid, but $350 ain't gonna take you too far unless you really, really like eating ramen noodles and peanut butter each and every meal.

not sure one could even buy peanut butter on that budget

sheepdog
2011-06-02, 15:00
not sure one could even buy peanut butter on that budget

maybe if he got the 5lb bucket at cosco.

would be kinda heavy though

saimyoji
2011-06-02, 15:14
maybe if he got the 5lb bucket at cosco.

would be kinda heavy though

how much do they weigh?

Russell
2011-06-02, 15:17
5 lbs. plus the bucket.

Two Speed
2011-06-02, 15:24
not sure one could even buy peanut butter on that budgetGotta save a little change for something to break the constipation up, too so that $350 ain't gonna go far. Still, if he goes extra gnarly he might stay out a couple two three weeks, which looks like a longer hike than I'm gonna get this year.
how much do they weigh?
5 lbs. plus the bucket.Spoken like an enginerd. :albertein

sheepdog
2011-06-02, 16:00
5 lbs. plus the bucket.

unless it's net weight:albertein

saimyoji
2011-06-02, 16:15
unless it's net weight:albertein

pay attention...the peanut butter is in a bucket, there's no net involved. :bike:

Hog On Ice
2011-06-02, 16:20
yeah - taint no way to carry peanut butter in a net unless you is one of those yankees up in the frozen north

Russell
2011-06-02, 16:57
5 lbs. plus the bucket.

5 lbs. plus the bucket. Damn fucktards! :angel:

sheepdog
2011-06-02, 17:37
5 lbs. plus the bucket. Damn fucktards! :angel:

unless it's net weight:bike:

Russell
2011-06-02, 18:00
You fucktards are hopeless!

Russell
2011-06-02, 18:01
Alright I will explain this once. If it is net weight it is 5 plus the bucket, if it is gross it is 5 lbs.

How hard is that.

Tin Man
2011-06-02, 18:09
unless it's net weight:bike:

nothing but net! worked for but a few

Hog On Ice
2011-06-02, 18:09
how much does the net weigh?

Tin Man
2011-06-02, 18:10
Alright I will explain this once. If it is net weight it is 5 plus the bucket, if it is gross it is 5 lbs.

How hard is that.

Agreed... 5lbs of peanut butter is definitely gross

sheepdog

How hard is that.

that's just gross

Tin Man

some say the net is worth it's weight in gold, yet others are waiting tables

sheepdog
2011-06-02, 18:14
some say the net is worth it's weight in gold, yet others are waiting tables

Woa!!!

was that a haiku??

Tin Man
2011-06-02, 18:15
Woa!!!

was that a haiku??

gesundheit

Nearly Normal
2011-06-02, 23:01

Depends on how many shrimp you're getting per cast. It's lighter the more you catch or it seems that way.

Tin Man
2011-06-03, 07:10
all done after 110 miles. too lonely, too many bugs and only $300 left to go the rest of the way. imagine that... but the video is coming soon!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-aUyUYCtEvRQ/Tehzrf0j54I/AAAAAAAAABw/devEVfgJ3f0/s320/tomtom+021.jpg

http://tomtomrace.blogspot.com/

Big Mac
2011-06-03, 07:55
110 miles is a pretty nice hike. They should have kept their mouth shut and just went for a hike.

Sierra Echo
2011-06-03, 08:14
For someone trying to set a record he sure took the time to watch a lot of movies!

Tin Man
2011-06-03, 08:33
110 miles is a pretty nice hike. They should have kept their mouth shut and just went for a hike.

yep. sounded pretty naive about a thru-hike from the get go, let alone a record attempt.

Russell
2011-06-03, 09:03
The big baby. It sounds like he was a whiner. Lonely.

He went home to his mommy, after celebrating his failure with pizza.

Hell he didn't even make it as far a Janet did.

What a joke.

Another dickhead on the AT.

Ray
2011-06-03, 09:25
But it wasn't a complete waste. This thread was started because of his attempt and because of it we now know that putting peanut butter on a net is gross.

Hog On Ice
2011-06-03, 09:39
now now putting peanut butter on a net is not gross

using the net as a hammock after putting peanut butter on the net is gross

Tin Man
2011-06-03, 10:15
how do you put peanut butter on the 'net? is there an app for that??

Ray
2011-06-03, 10:16

using the net as a hammock after putting peanut butter on the net is grossespecially if it's full of shrimp.

Bearpaw
2011-06-03, 12:21
No one from Florida should be allowed to talk about setting records in mountains. Any where, anytime.

I was in great shape when I started the AT, just out of the Marine Corps, but I was surprised how tough those "little" hills were compared to the flat beach and swamp country around Camp LeJeune.

You can prep all you want, but flatlands won't get you into climbing shape.

I hope he has a good time. As long as his one pair of shoes and budget allow.

Bearpaw
2011-06-03, 12:27
I bagged my Sheltowee Trace "thru-hike" after 45 miles, so I can't say anything about himn only doing 110.

Of course I mentioned to a few of yall I would get off early if the trail weren't in better shape than in 2007. It wasn't. But when I decided to slow down to no more than 10 miles a day and be done hiking by 2 PM (before the heat got just awful) I liked the parts I hiked a lot better.

Ewker
2011-06-03, 12:33
I bagged my Sheltowee Trace "thru-hike" after 45 miles, so I can't say anything about himn only doing 110.

Of course I mentioned to a few of yall I would get off early if the trail weren't in better shape than in 2007. It wasn't. But when I decided to slow down to no more than 10 miles a day and be done hiking by 2 PM (before the heat got just awful) I liked the parts I hiked a lot better.

but look at how much you have improved since then grasshopper :beer:

Kanga
2011-06-03, 12:43
i think it's sad that some people are so pathetic as to make fun of somebody for TRYING something. so it didn't work out. a lot of things in life don't turn out the way we want them to. but he had the guts to try. to ridicule somebody for that, well, i think some of you need to look inside yourselves and work on what makes you so ugly.

Russell
2011-06-03, 12:55
Like I said just another dickhead on the trail.

Crikey
2011-06-03, 12:56
No one from Florida should be allowed to talk about setting records in mountains. Any where, anytime.

I was in great shape when I started the AT, just out of the Marine Corps, but I was surprised how tough those "little" hills were compared to the flat beach and swamp country around Camp LeJeune.

You can prep all you want, but flatlands won't get you into climbing shape.

I hope he has a good time. As long as his one pair of shoes and budget allow.

I grew up in Sneads Ferry, and my mom started shipping me off to the mountains for summer camp at 8 years. I know exactly where you're coming from.

I'm glad she did it, it's why I love hiking now.

Bearpaw
2011-06-03, 12:58
I grew up in Sneads Ferry, and my mom started shipping me off to the mountains for summer camp at 8 years. I know exactly where you're coming from.

I spent too many nights of my youth in a little dive called Talk of the Town in the Ferry. I know the area well.

mudhead
2011-06-03, 14:22

using the net as a hammock after putting peanut butter on the net is gross

Depends how much she likes peanut butter. Recommend against chunky.

Sierra Echo
2011-06-03, 17:16
i think it's sad that some people are so pathetic as to make fun of somebody for TRYING something. so it didn't work out. a lot of things in life don't turn out the way we want them to. but he had the guts to try. to ridicule somebody for that, well, i think some of you need to look inside yourselves and work on what makes you so ugly.

I see where you are coming from, but also give this some thought. He shouldn't have called up a newspaper to do a feature on his claims that he could break the record doing something he has only done once or twice if even that. Thats why I don't feel too bad for him anyway.
Ive kayaked a few times but I would never call up the AJC and tell them I'm about to make a record breaking run down the Amazon river, now please write an article about me. :eek2:

john pickett
2011-06-03, 17:40
Someone asked a business leader (can't remember who) how he became so successful. He said it was from making good decisions. When asked how he learned to make good decisions, he said it came from experience. When asked how he gained experience, he said by making bad decisions. Our boy has gained some experience. Hope he learns from it.

Two Speed
2011-06-03, 17:45
. . . Our boy has gained some experience . . . Exactly. And he's young so he's got lots of time to apply what he's learned.

vonfrick
2011-06-03, 17:48
what's this 'our' crap? ain't my kid

Tin Man
2011-06-03, 18:42
I see where you are coming from, but also give this some thought. He shouldn't have called up a newspaper to do a feature on his claims that he could break the record doing something he has only done once or twice if even that. Thats why I don't feel too bad for him anyway.
Ive kayaked a few times but I would never call up the AJC and tell them I'm about to make a record breaking run down the Amazon river, now please write an article about me. :eek2:

i thought it was all quite comical. didn't mean to offend anyone. if i knew the kid, i would have told him he was nuts and told him why, including offering some practical advice. the sadder part (or funnier part) is a former thru-hiker and author on the AT appears to have encouraged this doomed attempt and posted the article on faceplant.

Superman
2011-06-03, 18:47
i thought it was all quite comical. didn't mean to offend anyone. if i knew the kid, i would have told him he was nuts and told him why, including offering some practical advice and a ride. The sadder part (or funnier part) is a former thru-hiker and author on the AT appears to have encouraged this doomed attempt and posted the article on faceplant.

It's good to encourage the young. How else are they going to learn from their failures?:angel:

Tin Man
2011-06-03, 18:51
It's good to encourage the young. How else are they going to learn from their failures?:angel:

encourage to succeed looks very different than encourage to fail... in my book anyway

sheepdog
2011-06-03, 19:05

zacktly. Nothing like a little public humiliation to build character. I give him props for trying.

vonfrick
2011-06-03, 19:16

it's pretty much what i get paid to do

Ray
2011-06-03, 19:24
It wasn't bad luck that ended his record attempt. It was his total, complete utter cluelessness. Bless his little heart.

If he was trying to complete a thru-hike or sectioning Georgia and had the same problems then it would be cruel to comment on his trials and tribulations. But he announced that he was going for The Record!

It's like if I see a juggler in the gym struggling to hit a new trick I'd offer encouragement. Actually I'd probably just leave him alone because the gym would be full of people trying new stuff.

But if I saw the same juggler on a stage in front of an audience struggling to hit some trick that he hadn't the skill to complete, I'd heckle the hell out of him. He wasn't dragged up onto that stage, he wanted to be in the spotlight.

Context is everything.

Tin Man
2011-06-03, 19:59
It wasn't bad luck that ended his record attempt. It was his total, complete utter cluelessness. Bless his little heart.

If he was trying to complete a thru-hike or sectioning Georgia and had the same problems then it would be cruel to comment on his trials and tribulations. But he announced that he was going for The Record!

It's like if I see a juggler in the gym struggling to hit a new trick I'd offer encouragement. Actually I'd probably just leave him alone because the gym would be full of people trying new stuff.

But if I saw the same juggler on a stage in front of an audience struggling to hit some trick that he hadn't the skill to complete, I'd heckle the hell out of him. He wasn't dragged up onto that stage, he wanted to be in the spotlight.

Context is everything.

amen