PDA

View Full Version : Art Loeb Trail

Gray Blazer
2011-06-06, 08:53
How's the camping on this trail? Are there lots of places to set up tents or are you required to camp in dresignated spots?

Is it well blazed? Someone mentioned orienteering skills were needed. Any comments about that? Thanks.

Gray Blazer
2011-06-07, 20:52
bump

ed bell
2011-06-07, 22:30
It's been a while since I walked any of that trail below the BRP, but there aren't any camping restrictions I know of anywhere along the trail. Water can be a little scarce above the BRP, but there are decent places to get some, especially if the seeps are flowing. Orienting skills aren't at a premium, it's one of the most popular trails in Pisgah National Forest/Shining Rock Wilderness. Having said that, anyone with decent map skills should be good to go.

Gray Blazer
2011-06-13, 19:11
Can the ALT be done without a map? Or are they still searching for the last guys who didn't take a map? Can I get a map in Brevard?

ed bell
2011-06-14, 01:41
Can the ALT be done without a map? Or are they still searching for the last guys who didn't take a map? Can I get a map in Brevard?

OK, just buy the map...research the trail, you'll be fine...

Gray Blazer
2011-06-16, 18:19
OK...got the map. Thanks, Ed. There was a lot of info on that other website. Was hoping not to go there. Dixi says there's a lot of hikers who visit here so ... interestingly, I got most of my info from Chaco's posts. Peace out.

sheepdog
2011-06-16, 20:13
was that a slam??

Gray Blazer
2011-06-16, 20:32
was that a slam??

You could say that. I ain't tryin' to slam anyone. Got info on Art Loeb? Put it here.

ed bell
2011-06-16, 20:51
You could say that. I ain't tryin' to slam anyone. Got info on Art Loeb? Put it here.

Well, you just got done saying you learned a lot from Chaco's post, yet you haven't shared one thing....also, I answered every direct question you asked.

Gray Blazer
2011-06-17, 16:45
Thanks again, Ed. Chaco had a lot of posts about ALT on that other website.

Why do people on the internet try to create a problem when there isn't one?

sheepdog
2011-06-17, 16:49

just playin

no harm intended.:angel:

Kanga
2011-06-17, 19:22

you mean like when you went over to whineblaze and continually made negative comments about hobos after you were asked not to? like that? :angel:

sheepdog
2011-06-17, 21:03
hehehehehehe snicker

ed bell
2011-06-17, 23:08

I don't see any problem, hell, I giggled.....

ed bell
2011-06-17, 23:12
Chaco did it the whole way through in one shot....he had a lot of info he shared over there...I know the sections above the Parkway like my backyard...like I said, watch your water reserves in the high country...

Crikey
2011-06-18, 22:36
Actually was on Shining Rock today. Took the Old Butt Knob trail up, Shining Creek down.

We ate lunch on the rocks, could see a storm brewing so decided to hoof to the SC trail. As soon as we started down all hell broke loose - lightning and hail.

Great hike.