PDA

View Full Version : Jennifer Phaar Davis... testing the limits

Pages : [1] 2

Tin Man
2011-06-07, 06:46
Jennifer will be testing her limits and attempting to break the AT record, starting soon SOBO. What are her chances? How will we know how she is doing given she may not want to blog her progress after Nature Boy's reported mugging? Will the record be broken this year? Will Jennifer be the one?

Stay healthy and hike strong Jennifer...

http://jenniferpharrdavis.tumblr.com/

Tin Man
2011-06-07, 07:01
Interesting insights into Jennifer and her motivations and plans for the hike and what comes next...

http://www.womensadventuremagazine.com/issues/summer-2011/features-summer-2011/pharr-hikes-phaster/

SGT Rock
2011-06-07, 11:12
I've got to find that Mason Highlands the writer describes. Sounds like a fun place to hike.

Bearpaw
2011-06-07, 14:37
Don't know if she will, but I'll root for her, and I think she has a reasonable shot at a record.

jimtanker
2011-06-07, 16:54
A wise man once said, "If you're in a hurry, then why are you walking?"

Can anyone name the sage?

vonfrick
2011-06-07, 17:01
yoda

Lone Wolf
2011-06-07, 17:09
parsley, rosemary and thyme

Skidsteer
2011-06-07, 17:09
SGT Yoda.

Mags
2011-06-08, 00:00
Mr. Miyagi.

saimyoji
2011-06-08, 13:49
yogi bear or was it yogi berra?

Gray Blazer
2011-06-08, 14:04
Henry Ford

vonfrick
2011-06-08, 14:33
jiminy cricket

Hog On Ice
2011-06-08, 14:44
ralph waldo emerson

vonfrick
2011-06-08, 14:44
gandalf

Lugnut
2011-06-08, 14:45
Tony Stewart

Lone Wolf
2011-06-08, 14:46
Ted fuckin' nugent!

Tin Man
2011-06-08, 14:49
jennifer sure has a lot of interesting advisors... :albertein

saimyoji
2011-06-08, 15:47
yo mama

or was it yoyo ma..... :albertein

sheepdog
2011-06-10, 17:37
parsley, rosemary and thyme

what happened to sage??:albertein

Rockhound
2011-06-10, 18:44
I cant ever recall ever reading anything sage on this site

sheepdog
2011-06-10, 18:50
I cant ever recall ever saying anything sage on this site

true

Weary
2011-06-10, 21:11
Don't know if she will, but I'll root for her, and I think she has a reasonable shot at a record.
I'm not sure there is a "record" to break. But I certainly hope she meets whatever goals she sets for herself.

I've always tried to do that on my walks. I can think of a couple of failures. Most memorable (to me) was an attempt to do the northern Mahoosuc Range north of Grafton Notch, only to quit at the top of the ridgeline, mostly because I wasn't in shape and didn't want to hold back others in the party.

Bearpaw
2011-06-10, 23:19
I'm not sure there is a "record" to break. But I certainly hope she meets whatever goals she sets for herself.

I've always tried to do that on my walks. I can think of a couple of failures. Most memorable (to me) was an attempt to do the northern Mahoosuc Range north of Grafton Notch, only to quit at the top of the ridgeline, mostly because I wasn't in shape and didn't want to hold back others in the party.

Nothing wrong with withdrawing gracefully when things just aren't right. When I was younger, I was too bull-headed to back down from things I would have been better off to walk away from. The fact that I've learned better since is probably the only reason I'm still alive.

Weary
2011-06-11, 00:12
I cant ever recall ever reading anything sage on this site
I suggested that several weeks ago. But some thought I was not appreciating our unique qualities. As some say, live and learn, or something vaguely like that.

Rockhound
2011-06-11, 08:11
. As some say, live and learn, or something vaguely like that.I'm having enough trouble with the first part. You want me to learn too?

Superman
2011-06-11, 13:31
I'm having enough trouble with the first part. You want me to learn too?

You've come a long way considering you started out as an MP.:angel:

Jester
2011-06-15, 00:40
. . . How will we know how she is doing given she may not want to blog her progress after Nature Boy's reported mugging?

Zen Koan: "If a Jennifer hikes in the forest, and doesn't Tweet about it on a daily basis, is she still hiking?"

I think the better question is, why do we feel the need to be constantly updated as to someone's progress? I'll be happy to know afterwards that it met her expectations. And I wish her luck.

Tin Man
2011-06-15, 04:38
Zen Koan: "If a Jennifer hikes in the forest, and doesn't Tweet about it on a daily basis, is she still hiking?"

I think the better question is, why do we feel the need to be constantly updated as to someone's progress? I'll be happy to know afterwards that it met her expectations. And I wish her luck.

it's fun... just like watchin any sport live

Russell
2011-06-15, 09:40

Spoken like a true pack sniffer!

Tin Man
2011-06-15, 13:49
Spoken like a true pack sniffer!

i hike and follow hikers. although not sure being on here is following hikers.

i golf and follow golfers on tv. does that make me a golf sniffer?

Tin Man
2011-06-15, 13:59
jennifer must have started as warren just posted this on fb...

Escaped unscathed from the Baxter State Park AUTHORITY. Authority that is only legal, neither logical nor ethical. As I wrote from the Piscataquis County jail during the winter of 1979, "It is a shame that a magnificent mountain like Katahdin is in a state park like Baxter." So much for the 'freedom of the mountains' but glad this oppressive mode of operation only lasted one day.

Tin Man
2011-06-15, 14:03

lw convinced me of this several years ago on that other place :beer:

Lone Wolf
2011-06-15, 14:10
jennifer must have started as warren just posted this on fb...

Escaped unscathed from the Baxter State Park AUTHORITY. Authority that is only legal, neither logical nor ethical. As I wrote from the Piscataquis County jail during the winter of 1979, "It is a shame that a magnificent mountain like Katahdin is in a state park like Baxter." So much for the 'freedom of the mountains' but glad this oppressive mode of operation only lasted one day.

baxter is a shitty place to start/end a hike

Russell
2011-06-15, 14:59
lw convinced me of this several years ago on that other place :beer:

It is a good thing that the bus driver swerved at the last minute, huh?

Tin Man
2011-06-15, 15:11
It is a good thing that the bus driver swerved at the last minute, huh?

no, i am pretty sure i got run over :argh:

saimyoji
2011-06-15, 15:24
no, i am pretty sure i got run over :argh:

'sallright....twas a short one...

Tin Man
2011-06-15, 15:35
'sallright....twas a short one...

who stole ron's bus? i know he wouldn't do it... would he? :afraid:

Jester
2011-06-15, 18:59

I suppose if one felt that way, one could start or end further north. I don't recall any law or rule in Baxter that says one has to start or end there.

Lone Wolf
2011-06-15, 19:52
I suppose if one felt that way, one could start or end further north. I don't recall any law or rule in Baxter that says one has to start or end there.whatever. you know what the fuck i meant. you just hate warren is all

Jester
2011-06-16, 15:09
whatever. you know what the fuck i meant. you just hate warren is all

Hahahaha! I was responding to your post, not anything Warren did or said. Truth is, I don't really care about or think about Warren at all. The opposite of love isn't hate. It's indifference.

Russell
2011-06-16, 15:34
Hey, why don't you two kiss and make up.

Oh wait you did at TDs.

Did anyone get a picture of LW and Jester making out in Billville?

Weary
2011-06-17, 11:54
The guy who spent much of his life acquiring the 200,000 acres, which he then gave to the state, said his goal was a "forever wild" preserve. A secondary purpose was a preserve that people could enjoy, providing they didn't violate the "forever wild" purpose.

These are difficult balances, but most of us think Baxter is a marvelous place to start or end a long walk.

Jester
2011-06-17, 16:09
The guy who spent much of his life acquiring the 200,000 acres, which he then gave to the state, said his goal was a "forever wild" preserve. A secondary purpose was a preserve that people could enjoy, providing they didn't violate the "forever wild" purpose.

These are difficult balances, but most of us think Baxter is a marvelous place to start or end a long walk.

To be honest, I've had my problems in the past not with the rules of Baxter, but with how they've been administered by park personnel. But I'm not going to dwell on that during the rare opportunities I get to enjoy the park.

Weary
2011-06-17, 18:52
To be honest, I've had my problems in the past not with the rules of Baxter, but with how they've been administered by park personnel. But I'm not going to dwell on that during the rare opportunities I get to enjoy the park.
I've spent much of my adult life digging out wrongs by private and public institutions. I even got paid for doing so for 35 years of so. I've been critical of the three politicians, who Baxter chose to run his gift. I've critized the Baxter Park Authority, created by the Legislature at Governor Baxter's urging. And I've been critical of the park management, which traditionally has had little active supervision by the three political appointees who are the legal park Authority.

But I think that by and large the park managers have done an admirable job of carrying out Governor Baxter's wishes, while coping with political, population, and environmental pressures the good governor never imagined in his long life. And he lived a long life, dying a half century ago when he was well into his 90s.

mudhead
2011-06-18, 11:02
To be honest, I've had my problems in the past not with the rules of Baxter, but with how they've been administered by park personnel.

Same here. Seasonal employee powertripitis.

Amusing how some of the older ones can adopt a "just don't do it in front of me," attitude.

Percival Baxter would be ashamed at what the park has become.

Weary
2011-06-18, 12:00
Same here. Seasonal employee powertripitis.

Amusing how some of the older ones can adopt a "just don't do it in front of me," attitude.

Percival Baxter would be ashamed at what the park has become.
Buzz Caverly, who made carrying out Gov. Baxter's wishes his life's work, was fired a few years ago, mostly because he was also responsible for the onerous regulations.

I came to know Buzz well over the decades, and gradually came to respect his dedication, if not all of his policies. Katahdin is by far the most regulated mountain I've ever experienced.

I have only a casual aquaintance with the new manager, but he has loosened some of the more onerous rules dealing with winter use, which is a plus. But I have the impression that he will be less dedicated to Gov. Baxter's "forever wild" dream.

I'll be spending a few days in the park with a bevy of extended family members in July, and will be watching for signs of change. We had tried to get reservations for Katahdin Stream, but it was full, so we settled for Nesaudahunk on the west side of the park.

Jester
2011-06-18, 12:13
Buzz Caverly, who made carrying out Gov. Baxter's wishes his life's work, was fired a few years ago . . .

As my grandmother would say, good riddance to bad rubbish.

I fear I've derailed this thread. This should be about Jennifer, and what she's trying to accomplish, not about Warren's or Lone Wolf's or my opinion of the park. I'll try to restrict my comments to her hike from now on.

Weary
2011-06-18, 14:29
As my grandmother would say, good riddance to bad rubbish.

I fear I've derailed this thread. This should be about Jennifer, and what she's trying to accomplish, not about Warren's or Lone Wolf's or my opinion of the park. I'll try to restrict my comments to her hike from now on.
I don't think there's much more to say about Jennifer until she gets some miles on the trail and we can speculate about how well she is doing. Well, others can. I don't really care. I have but a very casual interest in record attempts.

So I'll say a bit more in defense of Buzz Caverly. He was appointed director over the opposition of almost the entire environmental community. They worried he was another kid from northern Maine who was into motors, not environmental protection. He had only a high school education, grew up on a farm, and his only job had been as a park ranger.

But he made the rounds of environmental groups, and spent hours talking to Gov. Baxter, who sent him a letter saying he trusted him to carry out his wishes.

He did quite well by the good governor. ATVs are banned. Except for use by rangers, snowmobiles are allowed only on the perimeter road, despite massive political opposition to the ban.

The restrictions on hiking Katahdin stemmed mostly from an incident early in his career, when he sent a ranger to rescue a woman on the knife edge in a snow storm. Both the woman and the ranger died. He blamed his decision for the ranger's death and vowed not to let such an accident to happen again.

He was fired when he defied a Park Authority directive to allow hunters in a newly purchased addition to the park. He didn't prohibit hunting. He just removed a bridge that allowed hunters to easily reach the new park lands.

We are a society that is into motors. There are enormous public pressures to allow motorize vehicles everywhere, regardless of Baxter's wishes. A Legislative bill allowing a new hunting area in the park was entered in the current Maine Legislature at the instigation of our new governor. I think it was either withdrawn or defeated. But I haven't heard for sure.

Tin Man
2011-06-22, 08:43
The beginning...

http://jenniferpharrdavis.tumblr.com/

JAK
2011-06-22, 18:35
Great video. Thanks Tin Man. I'm going to get my daughter to start following her progress.

vonfrick
2011-06-22, 19:39
warrghy says she must have swooshed by him while he lounged in andover, only sign of the whole crew was warren doyle signed the register at grafton notch parking lot

Skidsteer
2011-06-22, 19:45
....only sign of the whole crew was warren doyle signed the register at grafton notch parking lot

Did he list his total trail miles like he usually does?

Tin Man
2011-06-22, 19:48
Did he list his total trail miles like he usually does?

i have seen his sig in several registers, all with the mileage...

last year his sig was only a page from frick and warrghs in nh... i think whargghy is a wd groupie

Tin Man
2011-06-22, 20:05
this just in... tarlin would have a cow...

Day 4
42 miles
start time: 4:20am
end time: 9:10pm
From Brew—Another great day on the trail. Jen got to fulfill a dream of hers this morning: fording the Kennebec River. The Kennebec is the most legendary “ford” on the AT. Since 1985, outfitters in Caratunk have provided a canoe ferry twice a day so that hikers can avoid it, but Jen had her heart set on walking across. The water level was too high when we arrived at 6am (they raise and lower it at different times for the rafters upstream) so we went to an outfitter/lodge to soak in the hot tub, shower, and eat a big breakfast before heading back out at 7:45. The water level had gone down a foot or two to the point where Warren- who’s forded the river two or three dozen times- felt comfortable about the two of them crossing it. So Warren led her across, dropped her off at the trail, and then forded back again. “Hard core” is the best term I can think of to describe what they did. When Warren came back across, he howled then bellowed “I may have the face of a 61 year old and the belly of a coach potato, but I’ve still got the legs of a WILD RIVER MAN!!!” Then he struck the Atlas pose and flexed his calves. It was awesome.

vonfrick
2011-06-22, 21:00
i have seen his sig in several registers, all with the mileage...

last year his sig was only a page from frick and warrghs in nh... i think whargghy is a wd groupie

maybe he's stalking us

Bearpaw
2011-06-22, 21:13
this just in... tarlin would have a cow...

Day 4
42 miles
start time: 4:20am
end time: 9:10pm
From Brew—Another great day on the trail. Jen got to fulfill a dream of hers this morning: fording the Kennebec River. The Kennebec is the most legendary “ford” on the AT. Since 1985, outfitters in Caratunk have provided a canoe ferry twice a day so that hikers can avoid it, but Jen had her heart set on walking across. The water level was too high when we arrived at 6am (they raise and lower it at different times for the rafters upstream) so we went to an outfitter/lodge to soak in the hot tub, shower, and eat a big breakfast before heading back out at 7:45. The water level had gone down a foot or two to the point where Warren- who’s forded the river two or three dozen times- felt comfortable about the two of them crossing it. So Warren led her across, dropped her off at the trail, and then forded back again. “Hard core” is the best term I can think of to describe what they did. When Warren came back across, he howled then bellowed “I may have the face of a 61 year old and the belly of a coach potato, but I’ve still got the legs of a WILD RIVER MAN!!!” Then he struck the Atlas pose and flexed his calves. It was awesome.

Good on em. Hell with waiting til 9 AM for the boatman when you can see the bottom.

mudhead
2011-06-23, 10:02
And good for WD for having a sense of humor about cold nuts.

Spirit.

Weary
2011-06-23, 10:46
They may raise and lower the water levels at the request of rafters, but the major fluctuations are based on the needs of the power grid in southern New England.

fiddlehead
2011-06-23, 22:34
Already a major difference between Jennifer and Karl Metzger: she forded, he waited.
Go girl!
Kennebec is an easy ford when it's low.
Try doing the "Bob" in springtime for some hard ones.

Tin Man
2011-06-28, 23:16
Facebook June 26 5pm: Warren Doyle

Finishing up my Odyssa support duties this evening in the Green Mountains of Vermont. After 12 days she has flowed 488 miles through the rugged northern Appalachians at a average of 40.6 miles per day, Now the question is: will she be able to flow the remaining 1,693 miles in 35.5 days (an average of 47.7 miles per day)? Only time will tell.

JoeyB
2011-07-01, 08:28
my hiking partner had the good fortune of meeting this incredible athlete shortly before she began this journey.
our next week on the AT was hiked with an extra step in her pace and a few more miles each day.

and i just came out of the G.S.M.N.P. after back to back to back 30+mile days.
hitting the trail at 6am and hiking til' dark. if there had been a 4th day of hiking, i doubt more than 5-10 miles could have been traveled.
her itinerary kicks azz !!!

whether she accomplishes her goal or not, any hiker with a pulse should be fired up by her attempt at this.

i hope she makes it for no other reason than to make the internet doubters eat their words.
those that can, do.
those who can't, sit on the net and criticize.
or better yet, jump to conclusions and label folks.
(not that there's any worn out old farts on this board who would resort to such a juvenile style of posting)

http://s2.postimage.org/60gwcoz87/jennifer_pharr_davis.jpg

Tin Man
2011-07-12, 05:00
Warren Doyle
Odyssa update after 26 days: 1,152.2 miles 44.3 mpd
To go - 21.5 days: 1,028.8 miles 47.8 mpd
Ahead of Andrew Thompson: 73.5 physical miles 50.5 time/clock miles
Goodbye PA & MD. Hello VA.
July 11

sheepdog
2011-07-12, 21:41
Go girl!!!

Hooch
2011-07-13, 18:14
Warren Doylepuke:

July 11Dayum! :beer:

Weary
2011-07-13, 19:55
....Ahead of Andrew Thompson: 73.5 physical miles 50.5 time/clock miles
....Hello VA. July 11
Whatever that may mean, I wish her well. If only to get back to what most of us do: just enjoy the trails, regardless of the time it takes.

Tin Man
2011-07-13, 20:56
Whatever that may mean, I wish her well. If only to get back to what most of us do: just enjoy the trails, regardless of the time it takes.

if you don't understand her way of enjoying the trail, why comment at all?

Superman
2011-07-13, 21:01

People who go wicked fast only do it to make me look bad.:bike:

Tin Man
2011-07-13, 21:05
People who go wicked fast only do it to make me look bad.:bike:

you/we don't need any help with dat... :beer:

Superman
2011-07-13, 21:07
you/we don't need any help with dat... :beer:

...and when they aren't trying to make me look bad they are trying to piss me off. Just sayin.:albertein

Roots
2011-07-13, 21:07

Agreed Tin Man!

If you don't know anything about Jennifer no one should comment. She hikes very often, just like any other hiker. She also hikes like she is now. She enjoys hiking why should it mater how. Good lord....

Lone Wolf
2011-07-13, 21:36

fuck!!@ walk your walk and shut the fuck up. really. it's just a fuckin' trail

Superman
2011-07-13, 21:49
There should be a speed limit.:angel:

Hooch
2011-07-13, 21:53
fuck!!@ walk your walk and shut the fuck up. really. it's just a fuckin' trailFor reals! :beer:

Superman
2011-07-13, 22:00
There should be packs of harnessed dogs at the bottom of mountainss to help pull older hikers up the mountain.:angel:

Roots
2011-07-13, 22:46

:congrats::beer:

Superman
2011-07-13, 22:51
When they privatize the AT and put McDonalds at the shelters everybody could just hike from one big mac to another. :angel:

Tin Man
2011-07-13, 23:29
When they privatize the AT and put McDonalds at the shelters everybody could just hike from one big mac to another. :angel:

why would we want to hike in the mid-west when the AT is right here?

Tin Man
2011-07-13, 23:33
watch weary making speed record attempts into political bs :rolleyes2

Superman
2011-07-13, 23:36
watch weary making speed record attempts into political bs :rolleyes2

He could also do a speed attempt after they finish paving it.:angel:

Jester
2011-07-14, 03:58

Well said, there, I think. I know that the mental aberration that makes me a long distance hiker isn't the mental aberration that makes other people long distance hikers.

But isn't it nice that we all get to enjoy the same exact trail in our own different ways?

Weary
2011-07-14, 10:24
Hey. I was just asking what's the difference between physical miles and time/clock miles before I head to Baxter tomorrow for the only kind of walking I do these days: very slow.

Kanga
2011-07-14, 12:00
No you weren't.

gungho
2011-07-14, 12:10
Hey. I was just asking what's the difference between physical miles and time/clock miles before I head to Baxter tomorrow for the only kind of walking I do these days: very slow.

wipe that stupid off your mouth............

Jester
2011-07-14, 14:28

Ah, gotcha. Well, for future reference, here's how you do that:

"What's the difference between physical miles and time/clock miles?"

People were probably confused because you didn't actually ask a question at all, and seemed intent on just coming across as a contrarian jackass. Hope the knowledge that when you want to ask a question you should ask a question will be helpful in the future.

Big Mac
2011-07-14, 14:39

Hey - leave me out of this.

Superman
2011-07-14, 14:50
Hey - leave me out of this.

Yeah...that was a mis speak. I seem to be doing that a lot lately. It's one senor moment after another.:albertein

Big Mac
2011-07-14, 15:42
Yeah...that was a mis speak. I seem to be doing that a lot lately. It's one senor moment after another.:albertein

Nah - I was just making a bad joke. :beer:

D'Artagnan
2011-07-14, 16:10

Maybe you've been eating too much Mexican food. :ahhhhh:

Kanga
2011-07-14, 16:17

Bwahahaha!!:beer:

Superman
2011-07-14, 16:32

I don't need no stinken re-fried fucking beans...or gaucamoly slime.:argh:

Hikerhead
2011-07-14, 18:28
Warren Doyle
July 11

She's may be close by. I might have to get out and run with her some.

Skidsteer
2011-07-14, 20:15

:biggrin:

Dirt bikes are not permitted on the AT.

Roots
2011-07-14, 22:00
:biggrin:

Dirt bikes are not permitted on the AT.

:laugh:

gungho
2011-07-14, 23:08

yeah me too

D'Artagnan
2011-07-15, 12:22
yeah me too

Be sure and stretch first. :beer:

MonkeyBoy
2011-07-15, 12:40
If you ever see me running, don't stop me and ask questions, just get behind me......cause something's coming and it's really pissed off.

Tin Man
2011-07-15, 21:21
If you ever see me running, don't stop me and ask questions, just get behind me......cause something's coming and it's really pissed off.

i only run when i got the trot... i can handle anything else that comes along without getting overly rambunctious

Superman
2011-07-15, 21:33
i only run when i got the trot... i can handle anything else that comes along without getting overly rambunctious

That's just because nothing ever happens in CT.:angel:

JoeyB
2011-07-16, 10:08
53.9 miles !!!

Food: Jen’s been drinking a lot of chocolate milk recently. She’s also been eating a lot of whole milk yogurt and Greek yogurt with honey. She’s been asking for more hand-held snacks (granola bars, pop tarts, candy bars, cookies, etc.) and less potato chips, trail mix, and other snacks that come in little pieces because the hand-held snacks let her focus more on the terrain and less on eating. One other thing I forgot to mention earlier is that she’s been drinking “throwback” Pepsi because it uses real sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup.

Tin Man
2011-07-19, 19:39
FB post Sunday 7/17...

Warren Doyle
Odyssa update: Goodbye Blue Ridge Parkway. Hello Ridge and Valley province.
31 days 1,406.5 miles 45.37 mpd
16.5 days left 774.5 miles left 47 mpd
+65.2 physical miles ahead of Andrew +42.2 time/clock miles ahead
I give her an 80% chance of setting a new AT endurance record.

Tin Man
2011-07-19, 19:41
http://jenniferpharrdavis.tumblr.com/post/7780606996/scorchers-days-27-and-28

Skidsteer
2011-07-19, 19:49
FB post Sunday 7/17...

Warren Doyle
Odyssa update: Goodbye Blue Ridge Parkway. Hello Ridge and Valley province.
31 days 1,406.5 miles 45.37 mpd
16.5 days left 774.5 miles left 47 mpd
+65.2 physical miles ahead of Andrew +42.2 time/clock miles ahead
I give her an 80% chance of setting a new AT endurance record.

Simply amazing.

Lone Wolf
2011-07-19, 20:38
chicks handle pain and discomfort much better than dudes. she'll get the record

Tin Man
2011-07-20, 05:25
chicks handle pain and discomfort much better than dudes. she'll get the record

i liked her chances since the get go. it should be interesting to see who comes out of the woodwork to try to beat her new record... do you think we will see speedgoat karl again?

Lone Wolf
2011-07-20, 09:26
do you think we will see speedgoat karl again?

yes. i've conversed with him about this

Footslogger
2011-07-20, 09:49
i liked her chances since the get go. it should be interesting to see who comes out of the woodwork to try to beat her new record... do you think we will see speedgoat karl again?

==========

I thought about it ...for a nanosecond

'Slogger

Tin Man
2011-07-20, 23:49
the updates are coming more regular now... this from late last night...

Warren Doyle
Odyssa update: 34 days 1,553.3 miles done 45.7 mpd
13.5 days to go 627.7 miles left 46.5 mpd
+68.1 physical miles ahead of Andrew (+45.1 time/clock miles)
83% chance of setting a new overall endurance record

Jester
2011-07-21, 02:26
the updates are coming more regular now... this from late last night...

Warren Doyle
Odyssa update: 34 days 1,553.3 miles done 45.7 mpd
13.5 days to go 627.7 miles left 46.5 mpd
+68.1 physical miles ahead of Andrew (+45.1 time/clock miles)
83% chance of setting a new overall endurance record

Aside from the fact that I don't actually understand the difference between "physical miles" and "time/clock miles," how exactly does Warren figure out the percentages of setting a record. Any ideas?

Tin Man
2011-07-21, 06:07
Aside from the fact that I don't actually understand the difference between "physical miles" and "time/clock miles," how exactly does Warren figure out the percentages of setting a record. Any ideas?

i gave up trying to figure out warren a long time ago, but be sure to let us know if you come up with anything

Mags
2011-07-21, 10:57

Roulette wheel.

mudhead
2011-07-21, 11:50
Aside from the fact that I don't actually understand the difference between "physical miles" and "time/clock miles,"

Me neither.

General
2011-07-21, 16:17
non-educated guess, translation, he pulled the figure out of his ass.

rcli4
2011-07-21, 16:35
I think the time/clock mile shit is her average compared to his average and the actual difference at a given point. As for her percentage I have no idea. There is no relationship to how far she has got left. He is a knower of all so you should believe his opinion. If you don't think so, ask Jack.

sheepdog
2011-07-21, 22:06
Roulette wheel.

Ouija board

Jester
2011-07-21, 22:12
I think the time/clock mile shit is her average compared to his average and the actual difference at a given point.

That still doesn't make any sense to me, but then again I'm not very good at math.

Ouija board

I think he's probably using the same system he uses at his Appalachian Trail Institute, where after knowing people for three days he offers to tell them whether or not he thinks they'll complete a thru-hike.

sheepdog
2011-07-21, 22:19
That still doesn't make any sense to me, but then again I'm not very good at math.

I think he's probably using th same system he uses at his Appalachian Trail Institute, where after knowing people for three days he offers to tell them whether or not he thinks they'll complete a thru-hike.

kinda like the great Carnack??

Jester
2011-07-21, 22:24
kinda like the great Carnack??

Exactly like that, only without being funny.

Jester
2011-07-21, 22:24
Exactly like that, only without being funny.

And maybe without the turban. Dunno. Never been to ATI.

sheepdog
2011-07-21, 22:26
gotta have a turban to be believable

Kanga
2011-07-21, 23:16

you and every other man on the face of the planet.

Nearly Normal
2011-07-21, 23:54
Horse piss.
Seek a better grade.

JoeyB
2011-07-22, 08:07

right up to the point were we run out of fingers.

Weary
2011-07-22, 10:59
But higher math has its advantages. I once tried to learn calculus. It taught me that I'd better work for a newspaper.

DesertReprobate
2011-07-22, 11:14
The only math a guy needs to know is 1+1=3

DesertReprobate
2011-07-22, 11:15
unless she's gone through the change then you're good to go

Superman
2011-07-22, 11:17
unless she's gone through the change then you're good to go

Good to come or go.:angel:

General
2011-07-22, 11:18
i got an A in calculus, and B's for two semesters of physics. what i learned in physics is that falling can't hurt you but landing too abrubtly really sucks, and at terminal velocity, which is reached due to the force of gravity from about 180 feet, nothing survives. useful information.

ballistics of a .270, aslo physics, also useful information

warraghiyagey
2011-07-22, 11:24
She passed me somewhere's south of Andover Maine.... never saw her, just BJack's entry in the register at Crawford Notch, signed as though he were thru hiking. . . :albertein

Jester
2011-07-22, 12:49
She passed me somewhere's south of Andover Maine.... never saw her, just BJack's entry in the register at Crawford Notch, signed as though he were thru hiking. . . :albertein

When was that?

Ray
2011-07-22, 14:07
... at terminal velocity, which is reached due to the force of gravity from about 180 feet, nothing survives. ... Good name for it then.

Tin Man
2011-07-24, 05:06
posted Friday... about Thursday's miles

Warren Doyle
Odyssa update: 37 days done 1,699.7 miles 45.9 mpd
10.5 days left 481.3 miles to go 45.8 mpd
+70.2 physical miles ahead of Andrew (+47.2 time/clock miles ahead)
Goodbye ridge&valley province. Hello western edge of the Blue Ridge.

Tin Man
2011-07-24, 05:20
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/24/sports/speed-hiker-pharr-davis-thrives-on-rhythms-of-appalachian-trail.html?_r=1&scp=13&sq=jennifer&st=cse

Kanga
2011-07-24, 09:43
she is absolutely amazing! and the only reason she gets to see so many animals is that they can't get out of her way fast enough!

rhjanes
2011-07-24, 13:29
Her book is also excellent. still reading it

Tin Man
2011-07-24, 15:29
this just in...

Warren Doyle
Odyssa update: 39 days done 1,794.4 miles completed 46 mpd
8.5 days left 386.6 miles to do 45.5 mpd
+77.8 physical miles(+54.8 time/clock miles)Odyssa's apogee over Trail Dog 85% chance of setting new AT endurance record

Kanga
2011-07-24, 17:40
Her book is also excellent. still reading it

you look just like mr pink

Jester
2011-07-24, 22:58
this just in...

Warren Doyle
Odyssa update: 39 days done 1,794.4 miles completed 46 mpd
8.5 days left 386.6 miles to do 45.5 mpd
+77.8 physical miles(+54.8 time/clock miles)Odyssa's apogee over Trail Dog 85% chance of setting new AT endurance record

Happy to see that the completely made up percentage chance of success has gone up two imaginary points!

Weary
2011-07-26, 13:48
Happy to see that the completely made up percentage chance of success has gone up two imaginary points!
Don't be so pessimistic. She has virtually a 100 percent chance of completing a SOBO thru hike this summer, possibly by the end of this month, even!

Superman
2011-07-26, 14:10
Don't be so pessimistic. She has virtually a 100 percent chance of completing a SOBO thru hike this summer, possibly by the end of this month, even!

LOL:beer:

Crikey
2011-07-26, 15:56
She has virtually a 100 percent chance of completing a SOBO thru hike this summer, possibly by the end of this month, even!

So do I. Virtually northbound.

http://vimeo.com/20218520

JoeyB
2011-07-26, 17:08
gotta laugh where i've seen the internet holierthanthouhikers on various sites try to belittle what this incredible athlete is doing.

it's a damn shame that an endeavor like this is all but unknown outside of the small group of like minded people who are following her.

whether she breaks the overall record or not, just the fact that she's set this goal and is doing her best to achieve it, is more than what most will ever do with their lives.

Jester
2011-07-26, 18:48
warrghy says she must have swooshed by him while he lounged in andover, only sign of the whole crew was warren doyle signed the register at grafton notch parking lot

When was that?

Ahh. Looking back now I can see where I got confused, because I knew that Baltimore Jack was in West Virginia at the time. But now I see what you were doing. You were attempting to insult Jack AND Warren simultaneously by confusing them with one another.

gotta laugh where i've seen the internet holierthanthouhikers on various sites try to belittle what this incredible athlete is doing.

it's a damn shame that an endeavor like this is all but unknown outside of the small group of like minded people who are following her.

whether she breaks the overall record or not, just the fact that she's set this goal and is doing her best to achieve it, is more than what most will ever do with their lives.

I gotta laugh, because I've seen very little belittling. I've seen two posts on this thread out of 141 posts that might be construed as negative towards the idea of speed hiking or record setting in general. Which means that you have as many posts on this thread about "internet doubters" as there are negative comments, neither of which were specifically about Jennifer or her chances. The whiteblaze thread, in my opinion, is surprisingly noncombative for this kind of thing. Even those who have commented about her chances have wished her well. I could see why she might want to manufacture doubters ('cause it can be motivational). But I can't figure out why you would want to.

As for her attempt not getting more outside attention, there's this:

I remember when one of my friends complained to me about my PCT hike being covered on the New York Times website, but not in the paper itself. "I think what you're doing is amazing," he said, "I can't understand why you aren't getting more attention." I told him I wasn't thru-hiking for the attention, and that I hoped he had better things to do than choosing to be insulted on my behalf.

Just so we're clear, none of that actually happened.

But I did set the goal of hiking the PCT, and I did my best to achieve it. And I recognize that there are many, many people out there who have done far, far more important things with their lives than that.

Tin Man
2011-07-26, 20:24

she made the sunday nytimes

Tin Man
2011-07-26, 21:49
Warren Doyle
Odyssa update: 41 days done 1,888.3 miles completed 46.1 mpd
6.5 days left 292.7 miles to do 45.0 mpd
+67.3 physical miles ahead of Trail Dog (+44.3 time/clock miles)
Could it be her last Monday on this pilgrimage? 90% chance of setting a new endurance standard.
15 minutes ago

Jester
2011-07-26, 21:54
I couldn't even hike 46.1 miles per day if something scary was chasing me.

Tin Man
2011-07-26, 21:58
my longest day was 16, sun-up to sun-down. of course I was prolly carrying over 40 pounds back then

Bearpaw
2011-07-26, 22:07
I've done a few 30 milers, mostly out west in the basin between mountains. Long days for me, and a LOT flatter than the stuff she's hiking. Doing mid-40's day after day after day is just Herculean to my mind.

SGT Rock
2011-07-26, 22:11

Maybe if it was VERY scary.

Skidsteer
2011-07-26, 22:46
Might as well chalk me up as a zombie right now if I gotta hike 46 miles in a day.

Cuffs
2011-07-26, 23:24

All of a sudden I had a flash of Hickerchick...

SGT Rock
2011-07-26, 23:27
http://www.funpicsfree.com/photogallery/funny-pics-061908/hot-chick-ugly-wow.gif

DesertReprobate
2011-07-26, 23:39
Oh God Rock, Please don't do that again.

Kanga
2011-07-26, 23:56

hikerchick thinks you're hot.

Kanga
2011-07-26, 23:56
All of a sudden I had a flash of Hickerchick...

dammit!!:argh:

SGT Rock
2011-07-27, 00:08
Oh God Rock, Please don't do that again.

Hike faster
http://feralcat.blog.com/files/2009/10/diane-arbus_15.jpg

Jester
2011-07-27, 00:35

Nope.

Hike faster
http://feralcat.blog.com/files/2009/10/diane-arbus_15.jpg

I stand corrected.

my longest day was 16, sun-up to sun-down. of course I was prolly carrying over 40 pounds back then

I've done a few 30 milers, mostly out west in the basin between mountains. Long days for me, and a LOT flatter than the stuff she's hiking. Doing mid-40's day after day after day is just Herculean to my mind.

Longest on the AT was 34 miles. But then I took something like three days off. My best consistent hiking was 95 miles over three days, but that was only because there was the best all you can eat breakfast in the history of food ahead of me. Busted out 4 hours of eating and then did another 24 miles.

So maybe if my hike were catered by Timberline Lodge I could set a record of some sort. Most likely for gluttony. I can say that what Jennifer is doing is pretty amazing, even though it's not my style of hiking.

Cuffs
2011-07-27, 01:04
dammit!!:argh:

Eh... At least we agree it's pretty fuckin scary!

SGT Rock
2011-07-27, 02:21
I can say that what Jennifer is doing is pretty amazing, even though it's not my style of hiking.

Agreed:beer:

Superman
2011-07-27, 08:55
I can say that what Jennifer is doing is pretty amazing, even though it's not my style of hiking.

I am not trying to be contrary....really. Great accomplishments are all around us. I have stood near the end of the Boston Marathon and number of years but only ran it once. I have seen regular folks giving everything they had just to finish. Hell, sometimes it takes a herculean effort just to try to participate. I guess I could have said the same about hiking. Jennifer seems nice.:bath:

Weary
2011-07-27, 11:21

There was a half page feature in the sports section of the New York Times on Sunday, including two photos, one taken by a member of her crew near Moxie Pond in Maine, and the second in southern Vermont.

It's the best account I've read about her effort to date. The reporter was Keith Mulvihill, and includes a brief interview with Jennifer at the Delaware Water Gap. I'm just now getting to read the Sunday Times. It's been a busy week in Phippsburg. We have a team of trail maintainers working on our 25 miles of trails this week, and I've been their guide.

The article can probably be found on line. I just haven't had time to look.

Weary
2011-07-27, 11:35
The NYT piece can be found at

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/24/sports/speed-hiker-pharr-davis-thrives-on-rhythms-of-appalachian-trail.html?src=me&ref=sports

It's currently one of the 10 most popular on line stories, according to the newspaper.

Tin Man
2011-07-27, 23:15
Tin Man
So Nature-Boy, what's the deal? After Jennifer sets the mark, are you going to give it a go again? Just curious.
13 hours ago · Like · · See Friendship

Nature-Boy Hiking
‎Jennifer Pharr Davis is crushing it..... Very happy for her :-) I already know of 2 guys that say they are going out to challlenge the supported AT mark next year. With out a doubt I will return to the trail to challenge myself in some fashion.
10 hours ago · Like

Tin Man
2011-07-28, 23:13
5 minutes ago...

Odyssa update: 43 days 1,984.2 miles done 46.38 mpd
4.5 days left 196.8 miles to do 43.8 mpd
Goodbye TN Hello NC

sheepdog
2011-07-29, 10:20
wow.

Spogatz
2011-07-29, 13:44
It is amazing what a person can do when they really want to.

Crikey
2011-07-29, 13:52
I'm not going to recognize this as legitimate until it's reviewed by Jim McNeely.

mudhead
2011-07-29, 14:00
Cool. You read the whole report and let me know.

:)

Crikey
2011-07-29, 14:51
Cool. You read the whole report and let me know.

:)

I'm waiting for the movie. Or book on tape. :flute:

SGT Rock
2011-07-29, 15:34
Next report will determine if Earl Schaffer was born of a virgin.

sheepdog
2011-07-29, 16:05

yo and dey wuz sheppards up onna hill

Crikey
2011-07-29, 16:08

After that report then there's the final synopsis of Bryson's hike.

Nearly Normal
2011-07-29, 21:40
After that report then there's the final synopsis of Bryson's hike.

That's been done and the fucker only has one shirt.....or maybe 25 shirts with the same tired shit written on it.

Bearpaw
2011-07-30, 00:01
That's been done and the fucker only has one shirt.....or maybe 25 shirts with the same tired shit written on it.

He may be a candy ass, but he's a candy ass who made out like a bandit!:bandit:

Nearly Normal
2011-07-30, 00:36
Just a smoe that writes shit down......well.
Those that fuck with him about it ...can't see past the next white blaze.

Lone Wolf
2011-07-30, 00:40
Those that fuck with him about it ...can't see past the white blazes.

i agree by God! fuckin A!

Roots
2011-07-30, 11:51

hell yes!:adore::adore::adore::beer:

Crikey
2011-07-30, 13:48

It's just writin'

Nearly Normal
2011-07-31, 00:39
It's just writin'

You're a fine gal.

Tin Man
2011-07-31, 06:40
If she finished 60 miles yesterday (had 45 @ 6pm), only 36 left to springer today and the record is hers. Awesome! :adore:

Cuffs
2011-07-31, 08:49
I wish I was home, Id take a drive over there!

Bearpaw
2011-07-31, 12:15
Pirate says she passed thru MTX at 5:15 this morning. Her crew was talking about a Springer arrival before 3 today, which would beat the old record by more than a full day.

Lone Wolf
2011-07-31, 12:18
she was at gooch gap around 10AM

Tin Man
2011-07-31, 12:53
pirate says she passed thru mtx at 5:15 this morning. Her crew was talking about a springer arrival before 3 today, which would beat the old record by more than a full day.

she was at gooch gap around 10am

sweet!!

Skidsteer
2011-07-31, 18:16
Jen finished this afternoon at 3:25.

Amazing athlete, very emotional finish.

Between 30 and 40 people were on Springer to watch and cheer.

Pics later this evening when I get home.

JERMM
2011-07-31, 18:34
46 days, 11 hours and 20 minutes Jen has finally finished the 2,181 mile trail.

Big Mac
2011-07-31, 18:39
It's about time . . .

JERMM
2011-07-31, 18:46
It's about time . . .

time for a very long nap...:hammock:

Skidsteer
2011-07-31, 19:54
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Jenn%20Pharr-Davis%20Finish%20at%20Springer/th_IMG_1288.jpg (http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Jenn%20Pharr-Davis%20Finish%20at%20Springer/?action=view&current=IMG_1288.jpg) http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Jenn%20Pharr-Davis%20Finish%20at%20Springer/th_IMG_1290.jpg (http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Jenn%20Pharr-Davis%20Finish%20at%20Springer/?action=view&current=IMG_1290.jpg) http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Jenn%20Pharr-Davis%20Finish%20at%20Springer/th_IMG_1295.jpg (http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Jenn%20Pharr-Davis%20Finish%20at%20Springer/?action=view&current=IMG_1295.jpg)

Bearpaw
2011-07-31, 20:06
Absolutely awesome news.

I'm smiling along with her.

sheepdog
2011-07-31, 20:17
way to go!!!

JERMM
2011-07-31, 22:15
very impressive

Nearly Normal
2011-07-31, 22:38
very impressive

Yes...

Skidsteer
2011-08-01, 09:00
BplLojDwp0c

MonkeyBoy
2011-08-01, 09:10
Very proud of her accomplishment.

Kanga
2011-08-01, 09:11
damn. that made me cry.

Skidsteer
2011-08-01, 09:14
damn. that made me cry.

I don't think there was a dry eye on the mountain.

Crikey
2011-08-01, 09:15
Analyze that, Mr. McNeely.

Kanga
2011-08-01, 09:29
i'm glad she touched that rock or he would have said she didn't finish.

Lone Wolf
2011-08-01, 10:04
i'm glad she touched that rock or he would have said she didn't finish.

that rock is actually on the blue-blaze. the first white-blaze is after the plaque embedded in the mountain

Skidsteer
2011-08-01, 10:06
that rock is actually on the blue-blaze. the first white-blaze is after the plaque embedded in the mountain

Shhhh...

Weary
2011-08-01, 11:28
There's a short piece on her accomplishment in this morning's New York Times.

Roots
2011-08-01, 11:34
damn it Skids...made me cry! I am so proud of her! She is an amazing athlete and person! :adore::beer:

Cuffs
2011-08-01, 14:52
What an amazing person!!

dixicritter
2011-08-01, 19:09
Just awesome! Congrats to her!

Ray
2011-08-01, 19:35
that rock is actually on the blue-blaze. the first white-blaze is after the plaque embedded in the mountainFrom Skid's vid it looks like the last white blaze & embedded plaque was obstructed by a bunch of fat white people standing on it. It would be on the bottom left hand side of the video frame. So her time was faster than they recorded since they took the time reading when she was already past the end mark and on the blue blazed trail to Amicalola.

It is indeed a remarkable accomplishment.

Weary
2011-08-01, 20:44
From Skid's vid it looks like the last white blaze & embedded plaque was obstructed by a bunch of fat white people standing on it. It would be on the bottom left hand side of the video frame. So her time was faster than they recorded since they took the time reading when she was already past the end mark and on the blue blazed trail to Amicalola.
That's what I was thinking also. I'm not sure what Lone Wolf was trying to say, but as occasionally happens, it wasn't much.
Lone Wolf is a trail sage. He needs to learn, however, "when to shut the fuck up."

Weary
2011-08-01, 20:52
Just awesome! Congrats to her!
Of course, it was awesome. Whether the effort was the most useful thing she might have done over the past 40 plus days, doesn't matter. I doubt if her record will ever be broken by more than a few hours, if ever.

Tears came to my eyes also, like most of us. But I'm not sure this is an entirely useful exercise. The trail is a miracle. It continues against all odds. That is what's important, not how fast, or slow, or how much, or how little, one walks it.

Skidsteer
2011-08-01, 20:54
That's what I was thinking also. I'm not sure what Lone Wolf was trying to say, but as occasionally happens, it wasn't much.
Lone Wolf is a trail sage. He needs to learn, however, "when to shut the fuck up."

That's like David Koresh telling Eric Rudolph to be careful with matches.

Mags
2011-08-01, 21:04
The trail is a miracle. It continues against all odds. That is what's important, not how fast, or slow, or how much, or how little, one walks it.

The trail indeed is a miracle. But a young woman who is an amazing athlete (and by all accounts a gracious, giving and warm person) is a wonderful ambassador for the trail.

Sometimes the trail needs people to inspire others. So the next generation of people may "Ask for the ancient paths where the good way is;
and walk in it and find rest for your souls."

I know my own humble outdoor 'career' did not take off until I read, looked at was inspired by other people who showed me these scenes of wonder found on the AT.

And once I started getting out there? Seeing my own first mountain sunset from Franconia Ridge is a memory I will have for life.

I have no doubt Jenn has inspired others to do the same. To get out there, explore, be passionate about and ultimately defend the wild places.

The trail IS a miracle.

But it is a miracle that sometimes needs a hand. :)

Ray
2011-08-01, 21:37
That's like David Koresh telling Eric Rudolph to be careful with matches.I don't know where or when I'm going to use it but I am stealing that.

Lone Wolf
2011-08-01, 21:45

no dick cheese. she missed the real plaque and final/first white blaze is what i was tryin' to say. when was the last time your ass was there? you shut the fuck up you diddle fuck

Lone Wolf
2011-08-01, 21:47
Tears came to my eyes also, like most of us. But I'm not sure this is an entirely useful exercise. The trail is a miracle. It continues against all odds. That is what's important, not how fast, or slow, or how much, or how little, one walks it.

oy vey!:rolleyes: it's a fuckin' walkin' path

Weary
2011-08-01, 22:32
oy vey!:rolleyes: it's a fuckin' walkin' path
Yup. But walking it in 46 plus days is a bit unusual -- and difficult. I relate to people who do difficult things -- even difficult things that I question the wisdom and usefulness of doing. It's just a quirk I have.

Jester
2011-08-02, 03:58
Yup. But walking it in 46 plus days is a bit unusual -- and difficult. I relate to people who do difficult things -- even difficult things that I question the wisdom and usefulness of doing. It's just a quirk I have.

It's just a quirking path.

JoeyB
2011-08-02, 10:53
you can bet your ass, she "touched" any and all waypoints needed to "officially" complete this incredible journey.

and you can also bet that she could give a rats ass about what any internet hiker has to say as far as nit picking, criticizing, or detracting in any way what she accomplished.

:fight:

Weary
2011-08-02, 11:24
no dick cheese. she missed the real plaque and final/first white blaze is what i was tryin' to say. when was the last time your ass was there? you shut the fuck up you diddle fuck
Ah. Now we're getting to the heart of the matter. What an insightful comment!

Austin
2011-08-02, 11:45
It's just writin'

I kick writers...

Austin
2011-08-02, 11:48
Jen finished this afternoon at 3:25.

Amazing athlete, very emotional finish.

Between 30 and 40 people were on Springer to watch and cheer.

Pics later this evening when I get home.

So cool.

Cuffs
2011-08-02, 19:02
Jenn went to Samford University here in Birmingham. Heres a local article, albeit brief...

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2011/07/samford_grad_sets_record_for_f.html

sheepdog
2011-08-03, 11:49
That's like David Koresh telling Eric Rudolph to be careful with matches.

aaahahahahahahahahahaha

Jester
2011-08-09, 11:13
Just saw the interview with Jennifer on CBS. She did well.

Two questions:
Does Brew have some sort of sneaker endorsement deal? (Alternately: does Brew not own dress shoes?)

Can CBS legally grab video footage posted on YouTube and only credit YouTube but not the person who shot & posted it?

Weary
2011-08-09, 11:17

Two questions:
Does Brew have some sort of sneaker endorsement deal? (Alternately: does Brew not own dress shoes?)

Can CBS legally grab video footage posted on YouTube and only credit YouTube but not the person who shot & posted it?
I suspect the video was shot by a member of Jen's team. Regardless, you tube, like most sites claims ownership of whatever is given them.

Cuffs
2011-08-09, 11:27

Two questions:

What time did that air? I waited as long as I could before I had to leave for work...

Jester
2011-08-09, 11:29
What time did that air? I waited as long as I could before I had to leave for work...

Don't know the exact time. You can watch it here:
http://www.cbs.com/daytime/the_early_show/video/?pid=191GZtM4NeG6Bp9FA6g_mW_nVAEH5Hn4&vs=Default&play=true

Jester
2011-08-09, 11:39
I suspect the video was shot by a member of Jen's team. Regardless, you tube, like most sites claims ownership of whatever is given them.

Yup (except YouTube's agreement is a bit more all-encompassing than most):
"For clarity, you retain all of your ownership rights in your Content. However, by submitting Content to YouTube, you hereby grant YouTube a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the Content in connection with the Service and YouTube's (and its successors' and affiliates') business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the Service (and derivative works thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels."

Hooch
2011-08-09, 11:42
Yup (except YouTube's agreement is a bit more all-encompassing than most):
"For clarity, you retain all of your ownership rights in your Content. However, by submitting Content to YouTube, you hereby grant YouTube a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the Content in connection with the Service and YouTube's (and its successors' and affiliates') business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the Service (and derivative works thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels."That's totally what I was gonna say. :ahhhhh:

Skidsteer
2011-08-09, 12:55

Two questions:

Apparently they can.

No, actually, the video was shot by me. For the record, no one contacted me.

BplLojDwp0c

Jester
2011-08-09, 13:15

On a brighter note, you can add "CBS remote location camera operator" to your resume.

Skidsteer
2011-08-09, 13:19
On a brighter note, you can add "CBS remote location camera operator" to your resume.

Hehehe.

I'm actually considering uploading the interview to my channel just to be an ass. :biggrin:

Crikey
2011-08-09, 13:26
For the record, no one contacted me.

Welcome to show biz.

MonkeyBoy
2011-08-09, 13:43
Apparently they can.

BplLojDwp0c

The video was shot by you, but you didn't file a copywrite.

Skidsteer
2011-08-09, 15:01

True enough.

If I was serious about not letting people use it I wouldn't have put it on youtube.

I do wonder how CBS got the video so fuzzed up. Looks like they got the snippet they wanted with a screen capture instead of downloading it.

Weary
2011-08-09, 15:10
The federal copyright law says -- or did, I don't follow these things as closely anymore -- that copyright is automatic. If you produced it, it's copyrighted, automatically. To get a hearing in court, you have to belately file a copyright notice. But the copyright still begins from the moment the piece is placed on paper, film, or record. Not when the copyright notice is attached. And there's no limit on how long you can wait to file the copyright notice.

MonkeyBoy
2011-08-09, 15:21
Just went to the Copyright office.........Weary is correct.

It is yours the moment you create it, however, to sue against it, it must be registered.

However, they may get around it because they did a screen capture of your video, as you stated, instead of using your video directly???

Therefore it was their video of your video, if you get my drift........

Either way, I'm sure they have their asses covered one way or another.

MonkeyBoy
2011-08-09, 15:23
And actually, that wouldn't work either, because then movie screeners would be legal because it is their video of another's movie..............

Screw it! Sue their pants off, Skids!

Weary
2011-08-09, 15:35
I got $75 once from Newsweek, when during the squabble over a federal dam on the St. John River they used a photo from when I canoed the river. I wrote them saying it was my picture. No discussion. But a few days later I got a check in the mail. Actually the son of one of the guys on the trip took the photo. But it was my camera, my film, and my instructions that resulted in the photo, so I figured that was close enough.

Crikey
2011-08-09, 16:13
Just tell them you and Chuck Sheen are suing. Yeah, that'll do it.

Lugnut
2011-08-09, 16:17
If Skids sues all he will get is a CBS coffee mug and and autograph from Julie Chen. :albertein

MonkeyBoy
2011-08-09, 16:26
If Skids sues all he will get is a CBS coffee mug and and autograph from Julie Chen. :albertein

Winning!

Skidsteer
2011-08-09, 16:28
We need to remember this is CBS we're talking about.

I might have more views of the video on youtube.

MonkeyBoy
2011-08-09, 16:30
The only thing that would make it less views is to put it on PBS

Tin Man
2011-08-09, 16:35

or warrendoyle.com

Crikey
2011-08-09, 16:39

But then he'd have to ask for money every 5 minutes.

MonkeyBoy
2011-08-09, 16:49
He does now.........

Jester
2011-08-09, 16:57
Just went to the Copyright office.........Weary is correct.

It is yours the moment you create it, however, to sue against it, it must be registered.

However, they may get around it because they did a screen capture of your video, as you stated, instead of using your video directly???

Therefore it was their video of your video, if you get my drift........

Either way, I'm sure they have their asses covered one way or another.

None of that really matters, though, because of the agreement with YouTube. Part of the agreement one makes with YouTube gives them permission to grant license.

Hooch
2011-08-09, 17:05
I got $75 once from Newsweek. . . . Yeah, but back in the 19th century, $75 was a lot of money. :aetsch:

Jester
2011-08-09, 18:00
Yeah, but back in the 19th century, $75 was a lot of money. :aetsch:

Wow. Well done, sir.

Hooch
2011-08-09, 18:03
Wow. Well done, sir. http://www.uselessgraphics.com/americanthanx.gif

Hog On Ice
2011-08-09, 18:31

Hooch was an impressive dog

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/59/Ray_de_El_Siscar.jpg

Cuffs