PDA

View Full Version : Kayaks

Sierra Echo
2011-06-07, 21:30
I'm down for 6 weeks with a knee injury and I have to get my outdoors fix. I'm thinking about buying a kayak. I was thinking about investing in an inflatable one as they are easier to move around and transport. I'm just worried about springing a leak. Does any one here have experience with an inflatable kayak and would you recommend one?

Hikerhead
2011-06-07, 21:32
I'm down for 6 weeks with a knee injury and I have to get my outdoors fix. I'm thinking about buying a kayak. I was thinking about investing in an inflatable one as they are easier to move around and transport. I'm just worried about springing a leak. Does any one here have experience with an inflatable kayak and would you recommend one?

Get a real one, a small one. I can guarantee it will be a lot less of a hassle.

JoeyB
2011-06-07, 21:45
i have no experience or knowledge about inflatables whatsoever.
i would assume reasonable use wouldn't result in any leaks.
running over semi submerged deadfall near shores or running up on shores to get out is a regular occurrence though. not sure how they'd hold up to that.

i couldn't imagine not having my kayaks.
mine seem to be a permanent attachment to the roof of my car.
http://www.wildernesssystems.com/product/index/products/sea_kayak/sea_kayak_zephyr/zephyr_160_seakayak/
my whitewater days are well behind me, and now it's just ripping around area lakes.
combining kayaking/hiking/camping is the best of all three worlds by far.
fontana lake on the southern edge of the smokey mountains is a regular destination for me.

i bought a cheap one years ago and immediately got hooked.
and have been upgrading pretty much every spring.

check out any local outfitters and see about rentals or used boats.
you can spend as little as a few hundred to many thousands of $$$'s on one.
and like anything else, you get what you pay for.

Sierra Echo
2011-06-07, 21:51
Joey yours would be wayyyy to big for me to fiddle around with. Bass Pro has some hard shelled ones on sell for $200 that my dad is encouraging me to go look at. But then I would have to still by the paddle and a car rack. I just dont want to spend a fortune on something I may only do for a month or so. this is what I have been looking at:

http://www.basspro.com/RAVE-Sports-Sea-Rebel-Kayak/product/10224483/-1792757

Hikerhead
2011-06-07, 21:56
If your only going to do it for a month, why bother. 200 bucks wasted.

JERMM
2011-06-07, 21:59
If your only going to do it for a month, why bother. 200 bucks wasted.

agreed

JoeyB
start small.
you may find that it's something you'll do more than you think.

i bought my 1st cheap one to break up the monotony of years of bicycle racing as i faded from that and wanted more than just hiking as an activity. then found myself hiking far less in the hotter months, and paddling more.

there's nothing nicer than being up and on a lake early in the morning as fog lifts.

plus.......foregoing the handpump on the rebel,
and using your lungs.......

Sierra Echo
Because it will get me outside moving around instead of sitting in front of the tv twiddling my thumbs. I may use it again, i dunno. Hiking will always be my first love though.

Sierra Echo
2011-06-07, 22:00
start small.
you may find that it's something you'll do more than you think.

i bought my 1st cheap one to break up the monotony of years of bicycle racing as i faded from that and wanted more than just hiking as an activity. then found myself hiking far less in the hotter months, and paddling more.

there's nothing nicer than being up and on a lake early in the morning as fog lifts.

plus.......foregoing the handpump on the rebel,
and using your lungs.......

I figured that if I get the rebel I was just going to use my tire compressor to blow it up! LOL

JoeyB
2011-06-07, 22:05
been a cabinet maker and woodworker for well over 30 yrs now.

i'm trying like heck to make enough room in my shop to build my own wooden boat.
http://www.redfishkayak.com/customers%20gallery.htm

too many bikes, kayaks, and backpacking gear taking up space though.

Hikerhead
2011-06-07, 22:08
They should say how long it takes to get it together and take apart. I see that getting old quick. Buy a rack that locks onto your car and listen to Joey and Jermm. Buy a used hard shelled kayak.

Tin Man
2011-06-07, 23:04
whichever kayak you choose, don't forget to add water...

http://www.outyourbackdoor.com/images/articles/145016_jp.grass.kayak.jpg

Sierra Echo
2011-06-07, 23:11
whichever kayak you choose, don't forget to add water...

http://www.outyourbackdoor.com/images/articles/145016_jp.grass.kayak.jpg

The look on his face screams "CONSTIPATION"!
I think I saw once on of those home video shows where dumbasses would ride their kayaks/canoes down big grassy hills. Other then that theory I couldn't say why he is doing that! LOL

Tin Man
2011-06-07, 23:17
The look on his face screams "CONSTIPATION"!
I think I saw once on of those home video shows where dumbasses would ride their kayaks/canoes down big grassy hills. Other then that theory I couldn't say why he is doing that! LOL

maybe he wanted to practice balancing before he went full retard?...

http://2pep.com/funny%20pics/very%20funny%20hilarious%20strange%20pictures%20co ol%20images/41/super_funny_hilarious_worlds%20funniest_pictures_o f_air-kayak-9.jpg

Sierra Echo
2011-06-07, 23:20
That is no doubt the very reason!

vonfrick
2011-06-08, 07:34
used to have 5 ocean kayaks, bought an inflatable one for my dad to keep on his boat- no comparison...get the regular kind.

JERMM
2011-06-08, 08:53
SE- you might want to consider going out to FT Yargo SP and renting a canoe for a few hours or day. you won't have to load or unload it, just get in and paddle.

by looking at the pics of the kayak you're looking at, your legs won't be comfortable very long...

GGS
2011-06-08, 12:26
I have two inflatable canoes. One is a Stearns canoe and one is a less expensive vinyl canoe, almost a family beach toy. I've used both of them quite a bit - with dogs even. Labrador retrievers. Dogs jumping into the canoe, dogs jumping out of the canoe, dogs in the water clawing to get back in to the canoe. No damage to the vinyl whatsoever. The Stearns is even tougher, it has vinyl bladders that are zippered in a very tough canvas cover.

If you think about it, vinyl when wet is slippery, as is any submerged object. I've dragged bottom quite often over sticks, gravel, etc. and never had any damage.

Also, these designs have multiple air chambers, if you ruptured one you wouldn't sink, and most likely the leak, if any, would be small and air release slow.

I inflate mine with one of those $10 Coleman air mattress inflaters, followed by a couple of puffs just to get the gunwales nice and taught. Takes about 10 minutes or so.

Advantages: being able to roll it up to the size of a suitcase and easily transport it in the trunk of your car, or even in the passenger seat. Stores in a closet.

Disadvantages: Of course, inflating and deflating. You need to rinse it off and dry it for storage. And doesn't track or coast near as well as a rigid hull. because the hull is not rigid, heavy persons such as myself tend to weigh down the middle which distorts the hull lines and creates drag.

General
2011-06-08, 16:27
liquid logic makes a sit on top called the coupe. also dagger/perception makes the torrent. you can pick up used torrents cheap, and the coupe will run you about 6-800. inflatables are junk unless you pay big bucks for a tomcat. plastic stuff at bass pro for 200 is junk too even for limited use. they are thin and even limited exposure to sunlight can damage the material. for a beginning paddler, flat water or white water, the coupe or torrent would be the ticket. no compromises. you've gotta start with a decent boat to enjoy the activity. a crappy boat would be like hiking in combat boots. you wouldn't really want to do it again. a decent boat makes all the difference, and that goes for paddles and pfd's too.

General
2011-06-08, 16:29
old town makes some nice flat water decked boats too. built to last.

Crikey
2011-06-08, 16:43
If you have an outfitter that rents kayaks near you, try one out. They usually sell them off at the end of the year and you can get a good one cheap.

D'Artagnan
2011-06-08, 16:54
I had a Perception Swifty (around 9.5' and about 38 lbs.) that I picked up at Bass Pro for around $300.00. The real expense came when I went to buy the roof rack system for my Explorer. Still, they're a lot of fun on flat water.

JAK
2011-06-08, 17:24
What sort of water might you be using it on Sierra?

I think the constipated fellow was demonstrating an eskimo roll, or maybe you guys call them little debbies down there.

Sierra Echo
2011-06-08, 20:00
SE- you might want to consider going out to FT Yargo SP and renting a canoe for a few hours or day. you won't have to load or unload it, just get in and paddle.

by looking at the pics of the kayak you're looking at, your legs won't be comfortable very long...

'thats a really good idea!!!

sheepdog
2011-06-08, 20:18
never buy a 200 kayak. They are very uncomfortable and you won't enjoy the experience. Inflatables are not very fast or durable. I sold kayaks for a year when I worked for a sporting goods store after I retired. I got to paddle all different kinds. Find a good kayak and you will love it for life. not just a few months.

Nearly Normal
2011-06-08, 20:28
never buy a 200 kayak. They are very uncomfortable and you won't enjoy the experience. Inflatables are not very fast or durable. I sold kayaks for a year when I worked for a sporting goods store after I retired. I got to paddle all different kinds. Find a good kayak and you will love it for life. not just a few months.

Make dern sure you can fish out the thing too. You never know when the fever might come on you where you need something better than eggs or hog meat to push around on the plate.

JERMM
2011-06-08, 21:38
I had a Perception Swifty (around 9.5' and about 38 lbs.) that I picked up at Bass Pro for around $300.00. The real expense came when I went to buy the roof rack system for my Explorer. Still, they're a lot of fun on flat water.

D'art- you knew some ultra-lighter would jump in and comment about how heavy your boat is...9.5'-39lbs...HEAVY....:afraid:

17'-42lbs...:aetsch:

sfdude
2011-06-08, 21:47
Kayaks are great. A small 9.5 ft one can fit in most cars with the trunk or hatchback up for short drives. The foam pads and tie downs front and back works well for an inexpensive rack, http://www.outdoorplay.com/Malone-Deluxe-Kayak-Roof-Rack-Kit?sc=7&category=261. My family loves our kayaks. Well worth the money. Paddles and PFDs are not real expensive. Meets the outdoor fix.

Rick
2011-06-08, 23:48
Been paddling for well over a decade now. I have a 96 Perception Acadia 11.5' and a 16' Necky Zoar touring boat.
If you THINK you will like paddling, then I would be very hesitant to get anything ledd than 10'. they are difficult to keep straight and are very slow. They work OK for small rivers and large creeks and ponds, but any larger water and you are really gonna want a bigger boat.

Most really think they can get a boat that is between a river boat (5-6') and a flat water boat (15-18') and be satisfied, but these boats are OK for a few things, they really do not excel on any area. You might want a boat with a rudder as well, this helps to keep the boat straight in high winds, (at least until you develop a paddling style that helps keep the boat stright)

The nice thing is that you can cartop pretty easy and cheaply with a couple of straps and the blue foam blocks. (I have seen folks just put the windows down and strap them to the roof and then climb in through the window, or cinch the front strap down from inside the card.

I would seriously try a few boats out at a local dealer before spending any money.

vonfrick
2011-06-08, 23:50
Been paddling for well over a decade now. I have a 96 Perception Acadia 11.5' and a 16' Necky Zoar touring boat.
If you THINK you will like paddling, then I would be very hesitant to get anything ledd than 10'. they are difficult to keep straight and are very slow. They work OK for small rivers and large creeks and ponds, but any larger water and you are really gonna want a bigger boat.

Most really think they can get a boat that is between a river boat (5-6') and a flat water boat (15-18') and be satisfied, but these boats are OK for a few things, they really do not excel on any area. You might want a boat with a rudder as well, this helps to keep the boat straight in high winds, (at least until you develop a paddling style that helps keep the boat stright)

The nice thing is that you can cartop pretty easy and cheaply with a couple of straps and the blue foam blocks. (I have seen folks just put the windows down and strap them to the roof and then climb in through the window, or cinch the front strap down from inside the card.

I would seriously try a few boats out at a local dealer before spending any money.

and depending on what kind of music you like, you may need a bigger boat

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2011/06/08/137059984/5-songs-for-sharks-that-like-ac-dc

chief
2011-06-09, 02:03
Make dern sure you can fish out the thing too. You never know when the fever might come on you where you need something better than eggs or hog meat to push around on the plate.
There is nothing better than eggs and hog meat!

JAK
2011-06-09, 10:25
So what sort of water will it be used on?
small ponds, big lakes, small creeks, big rivers, fast water, white water, ocean?

A good all around size is long enough to track and glide well, but short enough to handle easily. I am 6' 200-220# and mine is 16.5' x 24" and its about perfect for me. It is hard chined also, which I like because it is easier to feel where you are at. For a smaller person I think somewhere in the range of 14' x 26" to 16' x 24" if you want something to cover distance easily. Getting a comfortable seat is very important. Wider boats are harder to paddle because the width of the boat gets in the way. Narrower boats are harder to self rescue. You need to be able to self rescue without having to do an eskimo roll. It helps tremendously if you add so foam floatation on the insides of the cockpit in your seating area. Those foam noodles or blue foam pads can be used. 40# is a good weight to aim for and still be durable, but less expensive boats tend to be heavier, which is another reason to keep the boat smaller.

JoeyB
2011-06-09, 16:47
cool to see how many other members of this board kayak, as well as hike.

http://s1.postimage.org/pqhfiyrom/DSCF4471.jpg

GGS
2011-06-09, 17:03
Noting posts about handling qualities of different sized kayaks...

I should emphasize that an inflatable will be your worst-handling and slowest option of all of 'em.

Ewker
2011-06-09, 17:54
I have 3 kayaks. All of them are Perceptions. One is a 14' long for lakes and the other 2 are 10' long for small rivers and streams. Kayaking on the lake and then camping on the islands is a blast

General
2011-06-09, 18:10

class 4 white water 30 minutes from the house

General
2011-06-09, 18:20
how do you make pictures bigger?

JERMM
2011-06-09, 18:24

ask Skids

JERMM
2011-06-09, 18:25

you mean like this

http://hikinghq.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2564&d=1307653748

Sierra Echo
2011-06-09, 19:25
So what sort of water will it be used on?
small ponds, big lakes, small creeks, big rivers, fast water, white water, ocean?

A good all around size is long enough to track and glide well, but short enough to handle easily. I am 6' 200-220# and mine is 16.5' x 24" and its about perfect for me. It is hard chined also, which I like because it is easier to feel where you are at. For a smaller person I think somewhere in the range of 14' x 26" to 16' x 24" if you want something to cover distance easily. Getting a comfortable seat is very important. Wider boats are harder to paddle because the width of the boat gets in the way. Narrower boats are harder to self rescue. You need to be able to self rescue without having to do an eskimo roll. It helps tremendously if you add so foam floatation on the insides of the cockpit in your seating area. Those foam noodles or blue foam pads can be used. 40# is a good weight to aim for and still be durable, but less expensive boats tend to be heavier, which is another reason to keep the boat smaller.

I would just want something to wander around a lake explorering and taking pictures. Inflatiable sounds nice because it wont knock me out when i fall out!
And I assure you, that will no doubt happen.

Hikerhead
2011-06-09, 19:31
I would just want something to wander around a lake explorering and taking pictures. Inflatiable sounds nice because it wont knock me out when i fall out!
And I assure you, that will no doubt happen.

If you get knocked out on a lake you're either too close to shore or theirs other medical problems involved. And you might be healed and back hiking if you don't go buy one soon instead of keeping this thread going. Go buy it!

Sierra Echo
2011-06-09, 19:37
If you get knocked out on a lake you're either too close to shore or theirs other medical problems involved. And you might be healed and back hiking if you don't go buy one soon instead of keeping this thread going. Go buy it!

I get paid tomorrow! I'm gonna go look after PT.

JERMM
2011-06-09, 20:12
SE- what ever you do don't get on Lanier with a kayak!!!

mudhead
2011-06-09, 20:15
Be sure you try one first. Try several models. You would be surprised how much your knees/legs are used. (I don't know how that would relate to your injury.)

Sierra Echo
2011-06-09, 20:19
SE- what ever you do don't get on Lanier with a kayak!!!

I have absolutely no intentions of every doing that!!!
I was thinking along the lines of stone mtn, lake winfield scott, yargo, etc.

Sierra Echo
2011-06-09, 20:21
Be sure you try one first. Try several models. You would be surprised how much your knees/legs are used. (I don't know how that would relate to your injury.)

Its my right knee/hip. All I gotta do is sit in on for about 5 minutes to tell if its gonna be really uncomfortable. I will sit in all of them if I have too. I have nothing better to do! :D

D'Artagnan
2011-06-09, 20:25
What surprised me the first time I took mine out was just how tricky it could be to get back on dry land without taking a bath first. You might want to practice getting up out of the thing a few times, too, with consideration for your injury. I found tying a small length of rope to the bow of my kayak gave me something to pull on when trying to stand up. YMMV.

Sierra Echo
2011-06-09, 20:30
What surprised me the first time I took mine out was just how tricky it could be to get back on dry land without taking a bath first. You might want to practice getting up out of the thing a few times, too, with consideration for your injury. I found tying a small length of rope to the bow of my kayak gave me something to pull on when trying to stand up. YMMV.

Ive kayaked with the GATC before. The guy who leads those gives lessons before we go out. From what I remember you are suppose to turn sideways and put your feet out first and then stand up. I think I probably grabbed towards the front cause he gave and told me whatever works. Seems I found it harder to get in the boat then to get out. Of course the bottom of that lake was so mushy you started sinking in. Whatever I end up doing it will no doubt look like some kind of slap stick comedy!
Grace is not my middle name.

JERMM
2011-06-09, 20:46
SE- go to Ft Yargo section B, there's an easy launch halfway between the concrete boat ramp and the long dock that the UGA Crew uses. You will launch from the grass, the bottom is shallow 6-10" and sandy. I go out there, nice lake, no high speed boat of jet skies to worry about. There's a couple of estuaries with lots of birds and herons, turtles, deer and big bass.

Nearly Normal
2011-06-09, 21:39
Big bass?

JERMM
2011-06-09, 22:19
Big bass?

i'd say 8+ lbs,, they hang around where the creek comes in gulping up food, water is too shallow for motors, kayaks and canoes can get in

Sierra Echo
2011-06-09, 22:22
You know what looks like fun? Those stand up paddle boards. I don't think my balance would be good enough. Anyone ever try one?

Nearly Normal
2011-06-09, 22:37
i'd say 8+ lbs,, they hang around where the creek comes in gulping up food, water is too shallow for motors, kayaks and canoes can get in

Large Mouth Bass. Green trout, Bucket mouth, Black bass, mossy back.........large mouth bass.
This time of year when the moon gets right and the eggs get laid....it's the male that guards the hatch.
They will strike at anything that comes close to the fry. It's a great time to fish for them but you should release bass this time of year caught in the shallows on the bed.
It's fun to catch him in the early morning with a top water bait. He will explode on it.

Two Speed
2011-06-09, 23:20
SE- go to Ft YargoFort Yargo SP . . . back in the day the ex and I used to take weekends and go check various and sundry state parks out. Messed around a good bit in Florida and Georgia, rented a cabin when we could, tented when we had to.

Anyway, Fort Yargo's cabins took the blue ribbon for the weirdest design, straight out of Austin Powers. Light switches in the strangest places, handicap accessible sinks in the bedrooms and the kitchen cabinets that have to be seen to be believed.

Yeah, baby, yeah!!!

OK, enough of the trip down memory lane.

SE, be careful about getting involved with small boats. They can be highly addictive.

JERMM
2011-06-10, 01:01
Large Mouth Bass. Green trout, Bucket mouth, Black bass, mossy back.........large mouth bass.
This time of year when the moon gets right and the eggs get laid....it's the male that guards the hatch.
They will strike at anything that comes close to the fry. It's a great time to fish for them but you should release bass this time of year caught in the shallows on the bed.
It's fun to catch him in the early morning with a top water bait. He will explode on it.

like to catch um with fly rod and top water poppers, i always release the bass, keep the bluegills for eating

mudhead
2011-06-10, 08:25
Its my right knee/hip. All I gotta do is sit in on for about 5 minutes to tell if its gonna be really uncomfortable. I will sit in all of them if I have too. I have nothing better to do! :D

Might try paddling them. You would be surprised the amount of lower body muscle use when you brace in there. Maybe just me.

Might bother the hip/knee, and that might defeat the purpose.

JAK
2011-06-10, 10:15
I was thinking that also. You could go easy though, and maybe arrange some padding above the knees, and brace that way.

JoeyB
2011-06-10, 16:12
You know what looks like fun? Those stand up paddle boards. I don't think my balance would be good enough. Anyone ever try one?

been seeing a few of those lately.
looks like an awful lot of work to go slow.

no seat.
no cargo capacity.
and they look a bit cantankerous to me.

JERMM
2011-06-13, 13:38
soooooooooooo, did anybody get a new kayak this weekend...:dontknow:

Hikerhead
2011-06-13, 13:45
soooooooooooo, did anybody get a new kayak this weekend...:dontknow:

I thought about buying one....does that count?

JERMM
2011-06-13, 13:48
I thought about buying one....does that count?

sure...if you're a virtual kayaker...:aetsch:

Tin Man
2011-06-13, 13:49
sure...if you're a virtual kayaker...:aetsch:

virtual kayaking is easier than virtual canoeing... just sayin'

JERMM
2011-06-13, 13:53

but the rolls are easier with virtual kayaking

JAK
2011-06-13, 14:01
When you go virtual kayaking in 4 or 5 dimensional space, the rolls get very interesting.

Tin Man
2011-06-13, 14:04
but the rolls are easier with virtual kayaking

that's what she said

Crikey
2011-06-13, 14:14

Are we virtual hikers by posting here?

JERMM
2011-06-13, 14:22
Are we virtual hikers by posting here?

where's here?

Tin Man
2011-06-13, 14:24
i can post when i hike... but only with my hands free device

Hog On Ice
2011-06-13, 14:25

takes two hands to handle a whopper - huh?

Crikey
2011-06-13, 14:27

that's what she said

Hog On Ice
2011-06-13, 14:30
from todays Morning Report:

Apostle Islands National Lakeshore (WI)
Kayaker Succumbs To Hypothermia After Capsizing

Four college friends left the Little Sand Bay boat launch on the afternoon of June 7th to kayak to a campsite on Sand Island three miles away. Rangers had advised the kayakers that a small craft advisory had been posted for that area that forecast northeast winds of 20 to 25 knots and waves of from three to five feet. One of the kayaks began taking on water about a mile from the island and soon became submerged, causing the kayaker to abandon his vessel. A second kayaker, Kevin Dammen, 20, turned back to assist and capsized while doing so. The remaining two kayaker were able to help the first, but soon lost sight of Dammen, who they last saw straddling his kayak and holding a paddle. One of them returned to Little Sand Bay and reported the incident to a campground host. The NPS notified the Bayfield County Sheriff's Department and a multi-agency search was begun. There were three- to five-foot-high waves on the lake during the search and the water temperature was in the mid-40s. The two kayakers on Sand Island were picked up by a park boat and returned to short. The crew of a Coast Guard vessel found Dammen floating in the water near Sand Point. Efforts to revive him were unavailing. The county coroner subsequently determined that he'd succumbed to hypothermia. [Submitted by Myra Foster, Acting Chief Ranger]

GGS
2011-06-13, 16:25
Chilling news.

Crikey
2011-06-13, 16:30
Sad. But they were aware of the conditions and chose to go out.

I kayak, my wife and I both have 17' boats. I wouldn't think of going out in 3 to 5 ft. waves, especially with that wind and water temps.

Hikerhead
2011-06-13, 16:37
where's here?

Me....if I think about it and write about it long enough I should get too old to worry about it and it will save me some money. :)

JoeyB
2011-06-13, 17:41
9.5 hrs and over 40 miles paddled yesterday.

it darn sure wasn't 'virtual soreness' that greeted me this morning.

Big Mac
2011-06-13, 18:20
I'm sore virtually all the time.

Tin Man
2011-06-13, 18:22
I'm sore virtually all the time.

what makes you so mad?

Rockhound
2011-06-17, 08:17
Kayak, level, tenet, civic, rotor, radar, Ana nab a banana, go hang a salami. I'm a lasagna hog, race car, a Toyota, madam I'm Adam,

I know we are not supposed to get political but Palin dromes are fun.

sheepdog
2011-06-17, 09:30
I know we are not supposed to get political so I'll just say nothing.

There I fixed it for you.:bike:

Rockhound
2011-06-17, 10:58
If Mitt Romney started abusing prescription drugs would that make him an oxymormon?

sheepdog
2011-06-17, 11:28
hahahahahahahahaha