PDA

View Full Version : Health and Fitness

sheepdog
2011-06-15, 21:32
So I dedicated my life to health and fitness a couple days ago.

This diet is knocking off the pounds and kicking my ass.

Sierra Echo
2011-06-15, 21:45
Don't "diet" so to speak. Just eat right and be active and the weight will come off.

JoeyB
2011-06-15, 22:26
the biggest thing you can do as you get older and your metabolism slows is, avoid the urge to eat in the evenings.

i dropped 20 lbs. between october and january, by just upping the hiking miles and not eating after 6 p.m.
then as we began section hiking the AT in mid february thru easter weekend, another 20 lbs vanished, even after coming home on the weekends and feasting for 2-3 days.

like she said, burn off more than you take in.
you soon see the difference in your hiking pace and endurance as well.
right now pushing the hiking and kayak mileage has become an addiction.

good luck and enjoy the results.

MonkeyBoy
2011-06-15, 22:56
Stop filtering your water.

Sooner or later, the pounds will just fall off.......

sheepdog
2011-06-15, 22:57
Stop filtering your water.

Sooner or later, the pounds will just fall off.......

hahahahahahaha

sheepdog
2011-06-15, 22:58
Don't "diet" so to speak. Just eat right and be active and the weight will come off.

I gained about 20lbs over the winter. I just want it to go away and fast. I am a lot more active in the summer so that will definitely help.

JAK
2011-06-16, 02:40
I am starting again today. I am going to use a combination of reduced calories and increased activity. I think the key is to be very discipled about the calories you are consuming, i.e. not falling off the wagon. I think alot of times we eat when we think we need to but we really don't, in other words we think or blood sugar or glycogen stores are low, but really its just that our stomachs are empty. If we are just hiking, or rest of day stuff, we should be burning mostly fat, and so our glycogen stores should be dropping any faster than 50-100 kcal per hour, so we should be able to go a long way between meals, longer than we think. I did well on just 2 meals a day while hiking, and when not I think I can get by on one. I don't mind drinking tea with milk in between though. Contrary to the idea of eating many small meals, I think I do better on fewer meals, with the exception of the tea thing. If nothing else it keeps me from obsessing about food all the time if its only once a day, or maybe twice a day on active days.

Tin Man
2011-06-16, 05:47
I gained about 20lbs over the winter. I just want it to go away and fast. I am a lot more active in the summer so that will definitely help.

i gained one pound over the winter. i hope i can lose it by next winter

Rockhound
2011-06-16, 09:12
I still weigh what I weighed in high school.

saimyoji
2011-06-16, 09:54
i'm on the sex diet. if my weight goes up, i screw it off. been working pretty well. :beer:

dixicritter
2011-06-16, 11:15
I am starting again today. I am going to use a combination of reduced calories and increased activity. I think the key is to be very discipled about the calories you are consuming, i.e. not falling off the wagon. I think alot of times we eat when we think we need to but we really don't, in other words we think or blood sugar or glycogen stores are low, but really its just that our stomachs are empty. If we are just hiking, or rest of day stuff, we should be burning mostly fat, and so our glycogen stores should be dropping any faster than 50-100 kcal per hour, so we should be able to go a long way between meals, longer than we think. I did well on just 2 meals a day while hiking, and when not I think I can get by on one. I don't mind drinking tea with milk in between though. Contrary to the idea of eating many small meals, I think I do better on fewer meals, with the exception of the tea thing. If nothing else it keeps me from obsessing about food all the time if its only once a day, or maybe twice a day on active days.

That might work for someone without blood sugar issues like Hypoglycemia. Just sayin.

sheepdog
2011-06-16, 11:36
I was once on this diet where you could eat whatever you wanted; as long as you were naked in front of a mirror.

Some restaurants got a little grouchy with that.

Superman
2011-06-16, 12:00
I still weigh what I weighed in high school.

You suck. I don't even weigh myself. I go by how I feel. Unfortunately, the issue of weight gets confused with the issue of aging. I can still hike ok even though it's not as easy as it used to be. It concerns me more that I whimped out just because the temp got up near 100. My minimum goal is to hike atleast 2 months per year for my health. I did that but I've never been satisfied to do the minimum.

sheepdog
2011-06-16, 12:11
still some months left in this year

Superman
2011-06-16, 12:24
still some months left in this year

Yeah, I'll go back out when the hot months are passed. Pat said she'd drive me up to Katahdin so I could walk home.

Russell
2011-06-16, 12:34
.... so I could walk home.

Are you sure she added that part.:angel:

Superman
2011-06-16, 12:37
Are you sure she added that part.:angel:

good point

Cuffs
2011-06-16, 12:47
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/what-happens-to-your-body-after-you-drink-a-soda-every-day-for-a-long-time-2494154/

Time to quit the pop.

sheepdog
2011-06-16, 13:20
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/what-happens-to-your-body-after-you-drink-a-soda-every-day-for-a-long-time-2494154/

Time to quit the pop.

yepper bad stuff. I've also read that if you cut out all sugar for a while your taste for sweets decline. Simple sugars found in fruits are then supposed to taste sweeter. Don't know if I'll ever get there.

Superman
2011-06-16, 18:04
yepper bad stuff. I've also read that if you cut out all sugar for a while your taste for sweets decline. Simple sugars found in fruits are then supposed to taste sweeter. Don't know if I'll ever get there.

It's true. I eat the diabetic diet when I'm not hiking. Your tastes change for the better.

mudhead
2011-06-18, 11:14

I can confirm this. Some melon is too sweet for me right now. I have a sweet tooth, but for now it is boxed up.

Same with salt and fat.

Takes about 2 weeks. Stop all things like catsup... Eat your tasty friggin' plain brown rice. If you are hungry enough to eat plain rice, OK. Again, the flavour comes out after your taste buds adjust.

Nearly Normal
2011-06-18, 22:17
I can confirm this. Some melon is too sweet for me right now. I have a sweet tooth, but for now it is boxed up.

Same with salt and fat.

Takes about 2 weeks. Stop all things like catsup... Eat your tasty friggin' plain brown rice. If you are hungry enough to eat plain rice, OK. Again, the flavour comes out after your taste buds adjust.

Fuck that.

JAK
2011-06-18, 22:26
What is the longest anyone has fasted?
Not saying its a good thing.

I don't think I've ever gone 24 hours. You wouldn't think it would be that hard.

sheepdog
2011-06-19, 06:21
What is the longest anyone has fasted?
Not saying its a good thing.

I don't think I've ever gone 24 hours. You wouldn't think it would be that hard.

I often fast for 24 hours. It is for spiritual reasons not diet. It really helps you pray.

Superman
2011-06-19, 09:27
I often fast for 24 hours. It is for spiritual reasons not diet. It really helps you pray.

Do you pray for food?:angel:

sheepdog
2011-06-19, 12:03
Do you pray for food?:angel:

loaves and fishes

or maybe manna:angel:

angel food cake??

JoeyB
2011-06-19, 20:25
If we are just hiking, or rest of day stuff, we should be burning mostly fat, and so our glycogen stores should be dropping any faster than 50-100 kcal per hour, so we should be able to go a long way between meals, longer than we think. I did well on just 2 meals a day while hiking, and when not I think I can get by on one.

when you're operating around 70% of your maximum heart rate, (the number 220 minus your age = your approx. max rate) your body is at its most efficient at burning fat as fuel as opposed to you glycogen stores.

when i was racing bikes, i'd use a heart rate monitor and go out for 50-60 miles before breakfast. keeping the pace at or just below 70% of max, you could easily put in that mileage on just water and a power bar or two.

i've used that monitor a few times earlier this year while sectioning the AT.
on rolling terrain at 2.5-3 m.p.h. pace w/o any big climbs, most of the time
my rate was pretty much around the 70% range.
hitting the trail w/o breakfast every morning and getting by on two meals a day, 20+lbs. were dropped between feb 15th and april 15th.

JAK
2011-06-20, 04:18
Good to know. Thanks Guys.
I'm going to try the fasting thing today, to build up some spirit.
It is alot easier on the trail, to lose weight, and the spirit thing also.
Might try the bike thing also. Maybe a Bike-Hike-Bike Trip.

sheepdog
2011-06-20, 06:03
Good to know. Thanks Guys.
I'm going to try the fasting thing today, to build up some spirit.
It is alot easier on the trail, to lose weight, and the spirit thing also.
Might try the bike thing also. Maybe a Bike-Hike-Bike Trip.

try drinking juice and or v-8 on your first couple fasts. It helps take away the jitters.