PDA

View Full Version : Donations needed for a vacation? WTH?

Tin Man
2011-06-19, 06:35
Why do people donate to fund someone's vacation?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1201154052/all-who-wander-living-outside-of-it-all

Lone Wolf
2011-06-19, 08:01

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1201154052/all-who-wander-living-outside-of-it-all

why? good question. miss janet raised 6 grand with the very same website. and she ain't hikin'.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1546246091/the-tales-from-the-boot-garden

Tin Man
2011-06-19, 08:11
why? good question. miss janet raised 6 grand with the very same website. and she ain't hikin'.

i was wondering how much she raised. finished georgia i believe. that should make the book the book a tad shorter... and easier to write. wonder how that is coming? :rolleyes2

Rockhound
2011-06-19, 09:25
Disgusting. Nothing more than panhandling. She is missing the whole point anyway. She longs to be like those happy folks living on the outskirts of society. Guess what? Those folks are not walking around with $36,000 in their pocket. I volunteer to put a stop to this shit. Between travel, research, materials etc....I figure it'll cost about $50,000. Donations can be sent to Rockhound care of the "No begging for money fund"

Tin Man
2011-06-19, 09:31
on its way...

http://lh4.google.com/organonarchitecture/R9XCxBQuzZI/AAAAAAAAB6A/2Ft4sPKH_kU/MoneyBomb_thumb%5B1%5D

Russell
2011-06-19, 09:37
By the way, where is Miss Janet?

Lugnut
2011-06-19, 11:51
Tarlin posted on FB that she was in Waynesboro. (in her car)

Mags
2011-06-19, 18:46
Lesse...

I was able to hike three long trails and do some other misc trails and experiences.

It was done in a radical fashion however...I worked for a couple of years, saved money and went hiking..

If only I knew... ;)

Not against making money off one's passion..but usually a person has to actually hike the trail, climb the mountain, or paddle the river BEFORE getting money about doing the said activity. Elite adventurers can usually raise the money for a future trip, but they (at least in past) showed they had the chops first.

Things are different now-a-days it seems. :)

SGT Rock
2011-06-19, 18:54
I'm trying to add a nice porch to my house. I wonder if I can get some donations for that?

sheepdog
2011-06-19, 19:51
Lesse...

I was able to hike three long trails and do some other misc trails and experiences.

It was done in a radical fashion however...I worked for a couple of years, saved money and went hiking..

If only I knew... ;)

Not against making money off one's passion..but usually a person has to actually hike the trail, climb the mountain, or paddle the river BEFORE getting money about doing the said activity. Elite adventurers can usually raise the money for a future trip, but they (at least in past) showed they had the chops first.

Things are different now-a-days it seems. :)

Was it PT Barnum that said "There's a sucker born every minute."?

JoeyB
2011-06-19, 19:59

not much different than taxpayers funding those who live generation after generation on welfare.
at least she hasn't scrounged around for some government grant to fund her plans.

Weary
2011-06-19, 21:12
not much different than taxpayers funding those who live generation after generation on welfare.
at least she hasn't scrounged around for some government grant to fund her plans.
The chance to live generation after generation on welfare ended when Bill Clinton was president. It's time to find a new complaint.

woodsy
2011-06-19, 21:37
I need to upgrade my truck, its a 97, wonder if i can get some help here in the way of donations for that.
It helps to have a good updated truck in these parts to get to all the remote trail heads.
Some of the back roads to the trails here are getting real bad, just sayin.

Send me a PM with the amount you can contribute and will send you my mailing address

Thanks !

Woodsy

Rockhound
2011-06-19, 21:44

Yes there are many who find ways to take advantage of the system. There are also many that use welfare to do what it was designed for. A hand up as opposed to a hand out so to speak. Your "let them eat cake" attitude however speaks volumes. We are in tough economic times right now with nearly 1 in 10 Americans out of a job. Unemployment is running out for many families. Many people have no choice but to turn to welfare.
Who knows, if people keep not buying your cabinets you could find yourself there someday.
Ya ya ya. "You'll never see me accepting handouts" / "I've got too much pride" etc etc....You can keep blowing all that hot air but the fact is nobody knows what the future holds for them. Also is not the poor who are responsible for all the problems of this economy. It is the wealthiest Americans who are to blame. Bankers, lawyers and politicians. So perhaps your anger, spite and rhetoric should be redirected at the perpetrators of the economic breakdown and not the victims.

sheepdog
2011-06-19, 21:56
Yes there are many who find ways to take advantage of the system. There are also many that use welfare to do what it was designed for. A hand up as opposed to a hand out so to speak. Your "let them eat cake" attitude however speaks volumes. We are in tough economic times right now with nearly 1 in 10 Americans out of a job. Unemployment is running out for many families. Many people have no choice but to turn to welfare.
Who knows, if people keep not buying your cabinets you could find yourself there someday.
Ya ya ya. "You'll never see me accepting handouts" / "I've got too much pride" etc etc....You can keep blowing all that hot air but the fact is nobody knows what the future holds for them. Also is not the poor who are responsible for all the problems of this economy. It is the wealthiest Americans who are to blame. Bankers, lawyers and politicians. So perhaps your anger, spite and rhetoric should be redirected at the perpetrators of the economic breakdown and not the victims.

blah, blah, blah, There are many lazy welfare rats out there. I see them every day at the jail. 24 years old and on social security disability. Nothing wrong with them but dope heads and an entitled mentality.

Sorry Rock and Dixi, That's all I got to say about that.

Weary
2011-06-19, 23:03
blah, blah, blah, There are many lazy welfare rats out there. I see them every day at the jail. 24 years old and on social security disability. Nothing wrong with them but dope heads and an entitled mentality.

Yes, there are many scoundrels out there. Witness the bankers that had been allowed to grow so powerful, that they wrecked the economy, and would have created a depression has not governments, both democratic and republican intervened.

But I kind of hope that the bankers will have their come uppence. A life on welfare is not always a benefit. My Dad, who quit high school as a sophomore, to work on his blind mother's farm, often told of a friend who worked with him in the post office, a job he achieved only because of service in the Navy during World War 1.

The guy through fraud had been retired in disability. When the approval came through, he told his fellow workers that he had convinced the post office that he was pernmently handicapped.

"Why I can hardly lift a bag of mail," he said. When I came in here I could toss a bag like this." And he tossed the heavy bag to the ceiling of the post office mail handling room.

I followed the guys life casually for a decade or so until he died at half the age I'm at now. He went from temporary job to temporary job, for fear permanent employment would curtail his disability benefits. He was bright enough to defraud the government. Not bright enough to not destroy his own life as a result.

Frauds prevail in every career and every profession. It's a fact of life. Even in newspapering.

My fathers friend paid the penalty. I still maintain a slim hope that the bankers will also.

Rockhound
2011-06-19, 23:04

You tend to see the worst of society in your particular vocation. Bias is understandable. Nobody hears about the single widow with 3 kids who, while on welfare, finds a way to go to school, raise her children and better herself and get off of welfare. Much like the news, we only hear about the bad stuff.
I was just trolling anyway. You should know me better by now SD.
And I have never been on welfare or food stamps just for the record.

Rockhound
2011-06-19, 23:09
Back on topic. I think we should all register on the panhandlers site and tell miss "send me money for no reason" exactly what we think of her scam.

SGT Rock
2011-06-19, 23:24
I need about $5K for that new porch. You guys could come sip some adult beverages on it.

Just sayin'

sheepdog
2011-06-20, 06:06
You tend to see the worst of society in your particular vocation. Bias is understandable. Nobody hears about the single widow with 3 kids who, while on welfare, finds a way to go to school, raise her children and better herself and get off of welfare. Much like the news, we only hear about the bad stuff.
I was just trolling anyway. You should know me better by now SD.
And I have never been on welfare or food stamps just for the record.

As I was walking away from the computer I was thinking; "damn I just took the troll bait." :albertein:beer:

generoll
2011-06-20, 08:49
Weary, I'm going to have to check myself in for a psych evaluation. Your last post actually made sense and I found myself in agreement. Except for the part about the bankers getting theirs. Won't happen.

Hooch
2011-06-20, 09:35
I need about $5K for that new porch. You guys could come sip some adult beverages on it.

Just sayin'Will it have a place for me to hang my hammock? :beer:

dixicritter
2011-06-20, 10:08
Will it have a place for me to hang my hammock? :beer:

Oh sure give him ideas! Neighbors already see him hanging either in the carport or out by the road. LOL

saimyoji
2011-06-20, 10:31
Oh sure give him ideas! Neighbors already see him hanging either in the carport or out by the road. LOL

carport? y'all some upity high class hillbillies or sumpin'?

Hooch
2011-06-20, 10:40
carport? y'all some upity high class hillbillies or sumpin'?Sumthin' like that. They really are the best hosts ever. :beer:

Roots
2011-06-20, 11:20
well...hell...like I've said before...HI MY NAME IS ROOTS AND I'M A HIKEAHOLIC! If I could just get a little hiking fund together I promise I will hike as much as I can and may even write about it---in my journal. I'll try to include the many town stops and all the people I will mooch off of....ooo...you might even get a pic or 4 of some wildlife--promise I won't post any faces. The woods are calling I must go!!! Can you help $$$$$$$

Tin Man
2011-06-20, 11:27
giving money is not the answer...

just need to organize a feed at EVERY road crossing...

give em money, they just buy booze, like beggars in all the cities :aetsch:

Superman
2011-06-20, 11:30

Hey...no politics.:angel:

sheepdog
2011-06-20, 11:59

Will Hike
for food

woodsy
2011-06-20, 11:59
well...hell...like I've said before...HI MY NAME IS ROOTS AND I'M A HIKEAHOLIC! If I could just get a little hiking fund together I promise I will hike as much as I can and may even write about it---in my journal. I'll try to include the many town stops and all the people I will mooch off of....ooo...you might even get a pic or 4 of some wildlife--promise I won't post any faces. The woods are calling I must go!!! Can you help $$$$$$$

Um excuse me, i asked first, like 2 pages ago.

My request for donations was about hiking too so back of the line girl !

I can't believe no one has PMed me about it yet .

Anyhow, please, i have people waiting to answer your calls and accept any and all contributions.
We accept paypal, mastercard or visa, debit cards too .

And we won't spend any on beer . promise :beer:

Crikey
2011-06-20, 12:18
I'm pledging a cool grand to spend a week on the trail with her.

Tin Man
2011-06-20, 13:21

i'm pledging the rio grande

Hog On Ice
2011-06-20, 14:37
wtf is that - a burrito at Taco Hell?

Tin Man
2011-06-20, 14:42
it's someplace that mags suck... i believe

Rockhound
2011-06-20, 15:01

If I was going to pledge that it better come with a happy ending.

Crikey
2011-06-20, 16:36
If I was going to pledge that it better come with a happy ending.

It does promise:

One long inspiring love letter written to you from the top of a pristine mountain vista.

Jester
2011-06-25, 03:10
i was wondering how much she raised. finished georgia i believe. that should make the book the book a tad shorter... and easier to write. wonder how that is coming? :rolleyes2

Well, Lone Wolf would say that there's at least one excellent book about a person not finishing a thru-hike. I've heard him say he likes "A Walk In the Woods."

Back on topic. I think we should all register on the panhandlers site and tell miss "send me money for no reason" exactly what we think of her scam.

Um, the thing about Kickstarter is, the way you tell her what you think about her scam is by not pledging any money. And it seems like a lot of people are doing just that;

Beats me. I certainly wouldn't. On the other hand, I don't really care what other people decide to do with their money. 'Cause, you know, it's their money.

I think there may be a fundamental misunderstanding on the part of people on this site about what Kickstarter is. It's a website where people post a creative project and ask for funding. I know people who have funded independent films this way. And it's not really all that outrageous -- there is a long history of patronage of the arts; this is just a rather democratic cyber version of that.

Do I think this woman's project has merit? No. That's why I'm not going to fund it. Perhaps she has hiking experience but didn't post it; perhaps she has experience writing a book and making videos and didn't bother to describe that either. As it is, even if her creative project is genuine (and I'm not convinced of that), I don't think it's likely that she'll succeed. And I question whether she actually needs $3,550.00 worth of clothing to accomplish her goal.

In any event, the market pretty much decides here. If her goal of $36,000 isn't reached by August 8th, she doesn't get any of the money. So far she's been averaging $110 per day, which means that continuing at that pace means she'll only have $6,600 pledged and she won't get anything.

And all of you can move on to complaining about other things that have nothing to do with you.

Two Speed
2011-06-25, 08:45
Do I think this woman's project has merit? No.Do I think you should stop channeling Donald Rumsfeld? Yes.
And all of you can move on to complaining about other things that have nothing to do with you.Just taking your advice. :beer:

Superman
2011-06-25, 08:56
Well, Lone Wolf would say that there's at least one excellent book about a person not finishing a thru-hike. I've heard him say he likes "A Walk In the Woods."

Um, the thing about Kickstarter is, the way you tell her what you think about her scam is by not pledging any money. And it seems like a lot of people are doing just that;

Beats me. I certainly wouldn't. On the other hand, I don't really care what other people decide to do with their money. 'Cause, you know, it's their money.

I think there may be a fundamental misunderstanding on the part of people on this site about what Kickstarter is. It's a website where people post a creative project and ask for funding. I know people who have funded independent films this way. And it's not really all that outrageous -- there is a long history of patronage of the arts; this is just a rather democratic cyber version of that.

Do I think this woman's project has merit? No. That's why I'm not going to fund it. Perhaps she has hiking experience but didn't post it; perhaps she has experience writing a book and making videos and didn't bother to describe that either. As it is, even if her creative project is genuine (and I'm not convinced of that), I don't think it's likely that she'll succeed. And I question whether she actually needs $3,550.00 worth of clothing to accomplish her goal.

In any event, the market pretty much decides here. If her goal of $36,000 isn't reached by August 8th, she doesn't get any of the money. So far she's been averaging $110 per day, which means that continuing at that pace means she'll only have $6,600 pledged and she won't get anything.

And all of you can move on to complaining about other things that have nothing to do with you.

It is the GOD given duty of every middle aged man to sort out the problems of the entire universe. The part that I'm surprised at after all these years ranting about the issues is now...now that I'm old ...by the time I get done with my rant I cant remember what the issue was.:bath:

sheepdog
2011-06-25, 09:08
[QUOTE=Jester;242015]

And all of you can move on to complaining about other things that have nothing to do with you[/[/B]QUOTE]

It is the GOD given duty of every middle aged man to sort out the problems of the entire universe. The part that I'm surprised at after all these years ranting about the issues is now...now that I'm old ...by the time I get done with my rant I cant remember what the issue was.:bath:
zacktly

sheepdog
2011-06-25, 09:10
except Superman crossed the line from middle aged to .......:ahhhhh:

Superman
2011-06-25, 09:21
except Superman crossed the line from middle aged to .......:ahhhhh:

I know...in addition to crossing over into old age...after spending most of my life clean shaven...now I look hideous when I shave. The good news is that the whiskers are back.:angel:

Rockhound
2011-06-25, 09:29
If we limited our posts only to things that directly have to do with us, Hikinghq would quickly become as boring as Whiteblaze. The fact that we all hike, the AT specifically, and this girl is begging for money online to do the same reflects on all AT hikers. People see this and it further internalizes some of the negative impressions people get about thru-hikers. ie. they are all a bunch of broke slackers living off the teat of hard working Americans, begging for money so they can prance around in the woods instead of getting jobs. That is simply not true. 1)I do not prance 2) I do not beg for money 3) although the rest of that may be true about me it does not represent the vast majority of thru-hikers.
So Jester, this girls scam does have something to do with us. Much more so that that Weiner dude or many of the other threads I see here or even on that other site. So nanner nanner moo moo Jester.

Weary
2011-06-25, 11:10
I know...in addition to crossing over into old age...after spending most of my life clean shaven...now I look hideous when I shave. The good news is that the whiskers are back.:angel:
When I came off the trail many years ago people complained a beard made me look old. I eventually shaved it off. It's grown back after a case of shingles made shaving difficult. Now people say it makes me look younger. I say it's easier than messing with razors.

Lugnut
2011-06-25, 12:56
I shaved my beard off a few years ago but after receiving a notice from the EPA I was required to grow it back. That's why I'm a Libertarian! :argh:

Superman
2011-06-25, 13:14
I shaved my beard off a few years ago but after receiving a notice from the EPA I was required to grow it back. That's why I'm a librarian! :argh:

Maybe it's just me but...it's not a real bad thing to like books.:angel:

Hog On Ice
2011-06-25, 13:28
frankly these days my hands shake too much for shaving plus the IDNGAFHIL factor really makes it a moot point

Austin
2011-06-25, 14:20
I'm trying to add a nice porch to my house. I wonder if I can get some donations for that?

I'd bet you could.

You have done a lot for hikers and regular misfits like me in the past, just like Miss Janet has. I am sure many would like to show their gratitude.
You have turned it down in the past, tho...

Where do we send our checks?

Ray
2011-06-25, 15:07
Where do we send our checks?I thought everyone knew that:

P.O. Box 529, Cumming, Georgia 30040.

Make the checks out to "Cash", that being Sgt. Rock's other nickname.

Rockhound
2011-06-25, 16:17
That's why I'm a Libertarian! :argh:

You are? Are they still using the dewey decimal system?

cool breeze
2011-06-25, 18:09
Shaved mine off in Oct last year. Everyone says I look younger.

Rockhound
2011-06-25, 18:39
Maybe it's just me but...it's not a real bad thing to like boobs.:angel:

There. Fixed it for ya.

Weary
2011-06-25, 20:59
I shaved my beard off a few years ago but after receiving a notice from the EPA I was required to grow it back. That's why I'm a Libertarian! :argh:
EPA may have found an endangered plant in your shaved beard hairs. Use soap more often while hiking.

Kanga
2011-06-26, 01:36
WTF?!? Then you've killed an endangered plant! What kind of shit are you spewing?

Jester
2011-06-26, 10:10

In regards to Miss Janet, the rewards I was promised for pledging were delivered to me shortly after Trail Days.

Jester
2011-06-26, 10:34
. . . The fact that we all hike, the AT specifically, and this girl is begging for money online to do the same reflects on all AT hikers. People see this and it further internalizes some of the negative impressions people get about thru-hikers . . . So Jester, this girls scam does have something to do with us. . .

I definitely see your point, except to say that she's NOT a thru-hiker, and in my opinion she never will be. And I'm not entirely sure that I care about the opinions of people who would judge an entire group on the actions of one person who is not even a member of that group.

But I continue to believe that Kickstarter is a great site, particularly because of the "all-or-nothing" nature of the funding. A wise person once said:

. . . Yes there are many who find ways to take advantage of the system. . .

. . . but that is not to say that the system is bad, or that it should be abandoned. I'd like Kickstarter to be more vigilant about weeding out the people who are clearly not really interested in or capable of producing the creative endeavor that is supposed to be central to the funding effort. But I'd honestly rather have the actual funders weed out the bad rather than have some genuine people passed over at the beginning of the process.

Tin Man
2011-06-26, 10:45
In regards to Miss Janet, the rewards I was promised for pledging were delivered to me shortly after Trail Days.

And what was that exactly?

Jester
2011-06-26, 10:56
And what was that exactly?

You can see what rewards she was offering by going to her page:

and looking at the right side of the page.

Tin Man
2011-06-26, 11:29
You can see what rewards she was offering by going to her page:

and looking at the right side of the page.

Yeah, so assuming you already were her FB friend and know how to find her journal, did she finish her book already or did you get the sticker to promote her book? Oh and there are the film, etc. that already have been widely available and trail angels will be on tv in July. Guess it is cool if you like to watch angels on a regular basis in between partying with them. Whatever. Enjoy.

Jester
2011-06-26, 13:17
. . . Whatever. Enjoy.

I will! Thanks!

Tin Man
2011-06-26, 13:22
I will! Thanks!

Just messing with ya. It's all good... :beer:

Lone Wolf
2011-06-26, 14:52

and they were?...

Weary
2011-06-26, 21:11
and they were?...
Whatever they may have been, I still may not contribute. I mean, I've contributed to White Blaze for several years and look what's happened over those years. Unlike you young guys, us old folks have a limit on our tolerance for nonsense.

Rockhound
2011-06-27, 09:20
Whatever they may have been, I still may not contribute. I mean, I've contributed to White Blaze for several years and look what's happened over those years. Unlike you young guys, us old folks have a limit on our tolerance for nonsense.

I can't stand intolerance.

sheepdog
2011-06-27, 09:22

http://youtu.be/NelBNtNm8l0
NelBNtNm8l0

sheepdog
2011-06-27, 09:22
I can't stand intolerance.

I will not tolerate, intolerance. :albertein

Jester
2011-08-05, 14:53
Free three year vacation death shortly:

SGT Rock
2011-08-05, 20:20
I thought that ended already once. Can they change the end date for it after it started?

Jester
2011-08-06, 03:00
I thought that ended already once. Can they change the end date for it after it started?

Nope. I think maybe you're remembering me predicting the death of the project. Kickstarter allows for either 30 or 60 day lengths. This was a 60 day funding window. It's about to close.

Rockhound
2011-08-08, 09:56
Has anyone spoken with MJ lately? I would really like to know how the book is coming. Seriously. When it comes out I would actually buy a copy. Who am I kidding. I'll just borrow Clydes copy after he's done with it and save a few bucks. In any case I'm sure it will be an interesting read.

Superman
2011-08-08, 10:02
Has anyone spoken with MJ lately? I would really like to know how the book is coming. Seriously. When it comes out I would actually buy a copy. Who am I kidding. I'll just borrow Clydes copy after he's done with it and save a few bucks. In any case I'm sure it will be an interesting read.

AOL, pass Clydes book on to me when you're done with it.:angel:

Lone Wolf
2011-08-08, 11:23

i'm thinkin' there is no book forthcoming

JERMM
2012-06-01, 16:59
my vacation starts one month from today and i'll gladly accept donations. i'm not walking for any cause or charity, i'm not writing a book, i'm not reporting in on facebook nor keeping an online journal and i'm not blogging about it, i don't have sponsors. i'm simply walking in the woods, sleeping in my tent and staying far away from shelters and those who shelters attract. that is all.

chumpchange
2012-06-01, 17:40
i can toss in some lambskins.

Skidsteer
2012-06-01, 18:49

Hahahahaha!

I'm gonna refrain from my standard response. :biggrin:

Hog On Ice
2012-06-01, 18:57
New or used?

but it was such a good response.

Superman
2012-06-01, 19:08
my vacation starts one month from today and i'll gladly accept donations. i'm not walking for any cause or charity, i'm not writing a book, i'm not reporting in on facebook nor keeping an online journal and i'm not blogging about it, i don't have sponsors. i'm simply walking in the woods, sleeping in my tent and staying far away from shelters and those who shelters attract. that is all.

How long are you going to hike for?

curtisvowen
2012-06-01, 19:34
Been sittin' on my head for awhile but....
After I posted this back in March of 2011.......under the "Ms. Janet Hikes" thread....
"Preface: just internet drunk talking.
They're going hand and hand down the trail eating the pork chop Jack has strung around his neck.
"Damn Jack, that tastes like Salami"?
I'm writing a book....has lesbo lovers, tranvestites, girls peeing on your backpack and gay men humping a fireplug. Want to ante up?
I'm pissed cause I know when Jack & Janet gets here, for his annual "visit", arrogant mofo, I'll have a hard time getting him unglued from having his nose up her ass.
She better not say there ain't no room in the end....I mean inn.""

Wasn't few days later I got a email from her....she used someone else's address/email...and basically gave me down the road.
The only way she would know about my comments would be someone on this board told her.

My question which one of u s.o.b. ratted me out?
Been a 1 yr since....but damn it tore me up....that's all I got.....good knowin' ya. I'm out.

Hog On Ice
2012-06-01, 19:40
it could be any one Curtis - both this thread and Ms. Janet Hikes are in the publically accessable forums - it could even be someone who came in as a "Guest" and not a member at all.

or for that matter Google might have pulled up your post since the public access permits google indexing

JERMM
2012-06-01, 19:52

JERMM
2012-06-01, 19:53
How long are you going to hike for?

long enough for me to want to come home 300-350 miles

Tin Man
2012-06-01, 19:55

well said

Nearly Normal
2012-06-01, 23:09

What the fuck do you have to say in it? What bizness is it of yours?

chumpchange
2012-06-02, 01:18
nuttin' honey.

Two Speed
2012-06-02, 11:22
. . . i'll gladly accept donations . . . Got a couple Cumberland Island ticks I'll be happy to let you have.

john pickett
2012-06-03, 03:30
You got big ticks on Cumberland Island.

JERMM
2012-06-03, 14:16
Got a couple Cumberland Island ticks I'll be happy to let you have.

HAH...i brought home seashells and you brought on ticks....thanks for offering, but they're your souvenirs

Two Speed
2012-06-04, 11:28
One of those bastards was almost big enough for a collar and a rabies vaccination.

JERMM
2012-06-04, 14:11
One of those bastards was almost big enough for a collar and a rabies vaccination.

playmate for Barney

Mags
2012-06-04, 15:51
My question which one of u s.o.b. ratted me out?
Been a 1 yr since....but damn it tore me up....that's all I got.....good knowin' ya. I'm out.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-TP9_rmwvsaM/TxjUS86ED4I/AAAAAAAAFfc/N6oVVh0O3uA/s1600/i%2Bknow%2Bit%2Bwas%2Byou%2Bfredo.jpg

I know it was you Fredo

(Sorry.couldn't resist.. Seriously, not cool....but it only online shenanigans. Wouldn't sweat it)

auburnbreeze
2012-06-05, 14:12

HAH...i brought home seashells and you brought on ticks....thanks for offering, but they're your souvenirs

Got a couple Cumberland Island ticks I'll be happy to let you have.

Before our hike we treated our socks with premethrin, so far no one has indicated any ticks were found. And we went thru fields with hip high grass!!

Hog On Ice
2012-06-05, 14:57
+1 for permethrin aka 3-Phenoxybenzyl (1RS)-cis,trans-3-(2,2-dichlorovinyl) -2,2-dimethylcyclopropanecarboxylate

sheepdog
2012-06-05, 19:46
+1 for permethrin aka 3-Phenoxybenzyl (1RS)-cis,trans-3-(2,2-dichlorovinyl) -2,2-dimethylcyclopropanecarboxylate

me too

JERMM
2012-06-05, 19:51
treated all of my summer hiking clothes this week with permethrin...including shoes, pack and hammock

Hog On Ice
2012-06-05, 22:59
I usually just treat my hiking socks, pants, and shirt - sometimes I'll spray my shoes but not often

I always hike in long pants and generally I'll have the cuffs of the pants fixed with some shock cord to keep them close to the socks

I also use a long sleeve shirt but that is more for sun protection than bug protection but it also works well for that

chumpchange
2012-06-06, 21:06
so is it an abomination to pack 'Off' ?

Hog On Ice
2012-06-06, 21:29
personal choice - its my opinion that permethrin on clothing works better for ticks but if the mozzes are out deet on exposed skin is a good supplement

this is what I use:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51mUWyuoyQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

generoll
2012-06-07, 09:29
I'm going to Tobago for the weekend at the end of my hitch here. If you would like to donate to my trip via paypal I promise to spend the money eating and drinking well. I'll even say nice things about you on FB.

chumpchange
2012-06-07, 22:25
so is it an abomination to pack 'Off' ?

nobody gonna chastise me for this?

Lone Wolf
2012-06-07, 22:34
nobody gonna chastise me for this?

yeah it's gay.

Superman
2012-06-07, 22:49
Speaking of gay....Daisy and I use the soap with permethrin in it. We haven't decided if the insects like it or not but it makes us smell pretty.

Big Mac
2012-06-07, 22:54
Speaking of gay....Daisy and I use the soap with permethrin in it. We haven't decided if the insects like it or not but it makes us smell pretty.

It would probably help if you apply it more than once a week. Just sayin'.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

sheepdog
2012-06-07, 22:59
It would probably help if you apply it more than once a week. Just sayin'.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

:hahaha:

Superman
2012-06-08, 09:57
:hahaha:

Oops, it doesn't have permethrin in the soap. It has magic dust in it to keep insects away.:ahhhhh:

shadowmoss
2012-06-08, 10:59
I was gonna say, permethrin isn't really for skin application.

Hog On Ice
2012-06-08, 11:02
that's better - permethrin on your skin is not recommended - its ok after it drys on the clothing but putting it on one needs to be careful of the spray - wash hands well after handling the sprayed clothing if the clothing is still damp from the spray

Superman
2012-06-08, 11:52
I was gonna say, permethrin isn't really for skin application.

I don't mis-speak all the time. It just seems like it. I was thinking that perethrin was like citronella. Actually the wrapper on the soap says that it is made of 100% saponified soybean, olive and palm kernal oils, sodium hydroxide and the frangrance is yellow oxide. Ergo...it has magic dust in it to repel insects. When I first got to Vietnam I thought I was in a damn raid commercial. They supplied all the deet you could carry. I quickly found that my skin couldn't stand continuas contact with deet. So I saturated the towel I wore around my neck with deet. That kept the mosquitoes off me but damn it stunk. When I wanted some fresh air I'd put it to my side at arms distance. As bad as the mosquitoes seemed to be in the beginning they were less and less of a bother as my first tour passed. By the time I was forced to take the M-16 draping my towel over it in an attempt to keep it clean wasn't a problem. Well, having a weapon that fired when I pulled the trigger was a higher priority.....although....it didn't always fire. Of the few things that I still have from my time in Vietnam I still have those two OD towels. I had wrapped something in the towels to send it home. My ex didn't get everything...I got the two old towels.
Since Vietnam I have tried to not use any bug spray. Although if I'd had any I would have used it in that damn town in NJ on my thru hike. Except for that one town I wasn't very aware of any mosquitoes as I hiked in 2000. Right now the ticks and mosquitoes are about as bad I've seen around here but I still don't use deet.

Crikey
2012-06-08, 11:55
Deet heats up my skin and turns it blotchy and red. Especially when I have to put it on to work clearing brush. I don't use it unless absolutely necessary, mostly to keep chiggers at bay.

Cuffs
2012-06-08, 12:16
DEET (in some countries) has been shown to be a neuro toxin in humans... Im pretty much done with it.

Permethrin is synthetic. Toxic to cats and fish, but ok for everything else and is not easily absorbed in the skin. (not that its good to have on your skin tho but is used for killing head lice... go figure)

Pyrethrin is a naturally occurring chemical. Also a neuro toxin to insects. Biodegradable and breaks down with light and air contact. Be sure its in a solid container, not clear...

Mags
2012-06-29, 19:42
Next time someone asks for money for the AT thru-hike, book or any vanity project, think of this link...

http://www.theonion.com/video/internet-scam-alert-most-kickstarter-projects-just,28655/

;)

Roche
2012-06-30, 09:59
DEET (in some countries) has been shown to be a neuro toxin in humans...
That's why I don't hike in some countries, plus the drive is a bitch. I use the Brylcreem method with DEET - a little dab will do you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6F4GtyRfto