PDA

View Full Version : Things I forgot to bring after being off trail for a year

fiddlehead
2011-06-20, 23:02
So, yesterday I finally went back out to face the jungle again here in Thailand.
Some of you may remember I was attacked by a gibbon a little over a year ago while out trailblazing a hiking trail here in the mountainous island of Phuket.
Finally got the balls to go out again (and the time).
Didn't take me long, sweating up a steep uphill in the 90 deg+ heat to realize I had forgotten a few things:
A holder for my waterbottle. (it kept falling out of my fannypack so i ended up carrying it in my hand along with 2 other things: stick for batting down sticker vines, and of course my GPS with the track I had found to be easiest last time I went up that mountain)
My handkerchief: to wipe the sweat out of my eyes so i could see and clear my glasses. (and wipe the blood off when those stickers do get you)
My machete: don't know how i forgot that one except had no pack along to carry it when i didn't need it and my hands were full.........oh yeah:
My pack (i just used a fannypack this time.
Pepper spray: I swore i wouldn't go back anywhere near that monkey without spray or a taser but, couldn't find where to buy either one and didn't have a dispenser to spray the stuff my wife could make for me from hot Thai chilis.

But, I did find a new route that took me about 200 meters from where that monkey got me (created a waypoint last year when he did get me) so, it was a successful (hard) day.
When i finished, I paid a guy to take me back to where i had parked my motorcycle and found a bright pink backhoe there fixing the road. I had parked on a side trail and hid my bike in the jungle. He had taken away the path and left me with a 4 foot drop to navigate to get the bike out of there.
Scary ending to a great day!
Enjoy the solstice everyone!

vonfrick
2011-06-20, 23:20
wow!!! only chance i ever get to be attacked by a monkey is if i mention that i voted democrat...maybe i too should invest in some pepper spray

jk srsly love you jeff :biggrin:

fiddlehead
2011-06-21, 01:33
Here are a few pics from the day: I did remember my camera anyway:
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg201/fiddleheadpa/jungletrek.jpg
Some of these trees are more than 150' high.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg201/fiddleheadpa/viewatonepoint.jpg
I did get rewarded with a few views.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg201/fiddleheadpa/bigbug02.jpg
My wife says these are good eating. It was the size of a small bird!

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg201/fiddleheadpa/pinkbackhoe.jpg
I'm sending this one to some of my excavating friends. I doubt they've ever seen one this color in the states.

JAK
2011-06-21, 07:44
Sweet looking hoe. Saw one on my last hike also. See movie at 4:27 ...

http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?p=239129#post239129

Crikey
2011-06-21, 08:59
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg201/fiddleheadpa/pinkbackhoe.jpg
I'm sending this one to some of my excavating friends. I doubt they've ever seen one this color in the states.

I've seen one that color here where a bypass is being built. Looks like a big bottle of Pepso Bismol.

MonkeyBoy
2011-06-21, 09:24
So, yesterday I finally went back out to face the jungle again here in Thailand.
Some of you may remember I was attacked by a gibbon a little over a year ago while out trailblazing a hiking trail here in the mountainous island of Phuket.
Didn't take me long, sweating up a steep uphill in the 90 deg+ heat to realize I had forgotten a few things:
A holder for my waterbottle. (it kept falling out of my fannypack so i ended up carrying it in my hand along with 2 other things: stick for batting down sticker vines, and of course my GPS with the track I had found to be easiest last time I went up that mountain)
My handkerchief: to wipe the sweat out of my eyes so i could see and clear my glasses. (and wipe the blood off when those stickers do get you)
My machete: don't know how i forgot that one except had no pack along to carry it when i didn't need it and my hands were full.........oh yeah:
Pepper spray: I swore i wouldn't go back anywhere near that monkey without spray or a taser but, couldn't find where to buy either one and didn't have a dispenser to spray the stuff my wife could make for me from hot Thai chilis.

But, I did find a new route that took me about 200 meters from where that monkey got me (created a waypoint last year when he did get me) so, it was a successful (hard) day.
When i finished, I paid a guy to take me back to where i had parked my motorcycle and found a bright pink backhoe there fixing the road. I had parked on a side trail and hid my bike in the jungle. He had taken away the path and left me with a 4 foot drop to navigate to get the bike out of there.

For the record, I've never been to Thailand.........

wow!!! only chance i ever get to be attacked by a monkey is if i mention that i voted democrat...maybe i too should invest in some pepper spray

You deserved it! But it wasn't for voting Democrat.........I'm a Democrat..........it was for voting Idiot. :)

jk srsly love you jeff :biggrin:

Love ya right back....

Rockhound
2011-06-21, 10:22
Sweet looking ho. Saw one on my last hike also. See movie at 4:27 ...

http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?p=239129#post239129

I thought that movie was gonna be about something else. My bad.

Nearly Normal
2011-06-21, 22:49
A pink track hoe?

Superman
2011-06-21, 22:51
A pink track hoe?

Hoes are nice in pink. Just sayin.:angel:

Cuffs
2011-06-22, 00:45
Rule #1. Don't stay off the trail so damned long!

MonkeyBoy
2011-06-22, 09:30
No, Rule #1 was "Watch out for Monkeys".

Tin Man
2011-06-22, 09:41
I thought rule #1 was "Monkey Boy rules the board"

Superman
2011-06-22, 09:47
No, Rule #1 was "Watch out for Monkeys".

Real monkeys are dirty, buggy, nasty creatures. Present company accepted.:angel:

MonkeyBoy
2011-06-22, 09:57
I thought rule #1 was "Monkey Boy rules the board"

Real monkeys are dirty, buggy, nasty creatchers. Present company accepted.:angel:

Exactly.

Two Speed
2011-06-22, 11:46
Real monkeys are dirty, buggy, nasty creatchers. Present company accepted.:angel:
Exactly.Why yes, we have accepted that monkeys are "dirty, buggy, nasty creatchers."

This vocabulary moment brought to you by :coffee:

Crikey
2011-06-22, 12:30
Is a creatch like a beatch?

Superman
2011-06-22, 13:37
Is a creatch like a beatch?

You spell funny.:beer:

Hog On Ice
2011-06-22, 15:55
sounds like a midwestern crotch

Cuffs
2011-06-22, 16:02
smells like a midwestern crotch

fixed it for ya... :aetsch:

Hog On Ice
2011-06-22, 16:29
+1 for Cuffs

mudhead
2011-06-22, 18:42
How'd you like to have this pissed at you?

http://hikinghq.net/forum/images/editor/attach.gif

Even before the long arms.

Superman
2011-06-22, 18:45
How'd you like to have this pissed at you?

http://hikinghq.net/forum/images/editor/attach.gif

Even before the long arms.

It's nothing that a 7.62 round won't cure.

mudhead
2011-06-22, 18:50
If you heard it coming.

Bush Meat- The Breakfast of Champions.

Superman
2011-06-22, 18:52
If you heard it coming.

Bush Meat- The Breakfast of Champions.

Are you messing with me over my hearing aids?:bike:

mudhead
2011-06-23, 10:07
Nah. I am due for one of those soon. Guy I know has one, but you have to wait for him to aim it at you. I hope not all are like that. Someday I may ask him. Cheap bastid probably needs a battery.

I just have a mental picture of a pissed off animal with big canines and long arms dropping about 30' onto my head. Course I had a dream last night I caught a fisher in a Havahart. It was pissed.

Superman
2011-06-23, 10:39
Nah. I am due for one of those soon. Guy I know has one, but you have to wait for him to aim it at you. I hope not all are like that. Someday I may ask him. Cheap bastid probably needs a battery.

I just have a mental picture of a pissed off animal with big canines and long arms dropping about 30' onto my head. Course I had a dream last night I caught a fisher in a Havahart. It was pissed.

Hearing aids don't help for low talkers and when there is a din. I had no trouble hearing Hikerhead and J5Man. They both have deep male voices. I've lost 50% of my hearing from mid range up. After you spend years compensating you develope a full range of ways to either help figure out what people are saying or smiling and nodding. My hearing aids allow me to hear the sounds that I can still hear normally but there is a tube that replaces the sounds that I've lost. Mine cost $3500 each so I am very protective of them. I can't hear rattle snakes which is a problem when I'm hiking alone. A young guy caught up to me and told me that I'd walked right by a rattle snake that was coiled and rattling. Apparently I'm blind as well as deaf and dumb.:angel:

vonfrick
2011-06-23, 10:50
Hearing aids don't help for low talkers and when there is a din. I had no trouble hearing Hikerhead and J5Man. They both have deep male voices. I've lost 50% of my hearing from mid range up. After you spend years compensating you develope a full range of ways to either help figure out what people are saying or smiling and nodding. My hearing aids allow me to hear the sounds that I can still hear normally but there is a tube that replaces the sounds that I've lost. Mine cost $3500 each so I am very protective of them. I can't hear rattle snakes which is a problem when I'm hiking alone. A young guy caught up to me and told me that I'd walked right by a rattle snake that was coiled and rattling. Apparently I'm blind as well as deaf and dumb.:angel:

the secret to a long and happy marriage

Crikey
2011-06-23, 10:57
http://www.sehnsationalfoodservices.sasktelwebsite.net/Hearing%20Aid.jpg

sheepdog
2011-06-23, 10:59

I thought this was:angel:

Russell
2011-06-23, 11:05
Apparently I'm blind as well as deaf and dumb.:angel:

And you are guarding the perimeter?:angel::angel::angel:

Superman
2011-06-23, 11:08

That is consistant with my theory that male female relationships break down when they try to COMMUNICATE. A guy knows the relationship is over when the woman says "we need to talk." That's when a guy should just start walking.

mudhead
2011-06-23, 20:15
If you are really feeling full of it just smile and say: "Just tell me what you want me to do."

I dare you. The expression is almost worth it.

Superman
2011-06-23, 20:18
if you are really feeling full of it just smile and say: "just tell me what you want me to do."

i dare you. The expression is almost worth it.

lmao

mudhead
2011-06-23, 20:22
Course I had a dream last night I caught a fisher in a Havahart. It was pissed.

So I skimmed the paper later in the day.

http://bangordailynews.com/2011/06/22/outdoors/hikers-save-fawn-from-fisher-in-lewiston/

Mother Nature can be harsh. I'd rather see a fisher than a deer. People are odd. They find hawks beautiful. I've seen them pluck half alive birds.

But not pissed in a Havahart. The thing was hanging upside down in the box making awful noises while I tried to open the door.(In the dream)

Jester
2011-06-25, 01:44
Didn't take me long, sweating up a steep uphill in the 90 deg+ heat to realize I had forgotten a few things . . .

Reminds me of hiking with Squatch on the PCT. He would occasionally go home for a few weeks, during which time he would unpack his pack. Every time he came out to meet me again, he'd forgotten something. Usually minor, like his sleeping pad or his groundcloth.

But once he forgot his cookpot, and we had to take turns using mine until we reached Seiad Valley. Finding nothing usable in the general store, he asked the owner of the RV Park if he had a pot to sell.

He didn't, but he gave Squatch a metal dogbowl that worked perfectly.

Two Speed
2011-06-25, 08:48
Gotta admit there's a certain poetic beauty in a small act of trail magic resulting in a guy named "Squatch" eating out of a dog bowl.

Rockhound
2011-06-25, 09:33
, he asked the owner of the RV Park if he had pot to sell.

He didn't, but he gave Squatch a metal bowl that worked perfectly.
If you didn't get any pot how do you know if the bowl worked?

Weary
2011-06-26, 21:25

I think you are at about the evolutionary limits. You, like me, seem to be hopelessly embroiled in the insignificant aspects of life on this plant

fiddlehead
2011-06-26, 22:32
Oh, I think I realize that (about me anyway) Weary.
I realize this trail will most likely never get built.
It would be too costly, wouldn't be maintained because it just grows back in too fast, no one would hike it anyway because it would be too tough and way too hot here (we are 7 degrees north of the equator)
But, I enjoy doing what I'm doing (except for the monkey) and really enjoy being out there.
And there's not too many places left on this planet where I can trailblaze a (aprox) 100 mile trail through jungle without having any trespassing problems or keep out signs. Everyone I've met out there has been friendly and doesn't talk about private property and gives honest directions when asked.
I can't ask for too much more than that.
I'm 100 years too late to do this kind of thing for any trail that would really become something special.
But, it's still special to me and my goal is to finish it.
I'm in the wildest part of the island now (hence the monkey) and am heading out again today. I bought some pepper spray the other day even though it's only a tiny little sprayer.

Superman
2011-06-26, 22:50
Oh, I think I realize that (about me anyway) Weary.
I realize this trail will most likely never get built.
It would be too costly, wouldn't be maintained because it just grows back in too fast, no one would hike it anyway because it would be too tough and way too hot here (we are 7 degrees north of the equator)
But, I enjoy doing what I'm doing (except for the monkey) and really enjoy being out there.
And there's not too many places left on this planet where I can trailblaze a (aprox) 100 mile trail through jungle without having any trespassing problems or keep out signs. Everyone I've met out there has been friendly and doesn't talk about private property and gives honest directions when asked.
I can't ask for too much more than that.
I'm 100 years too late to do this kind of thing for any trail that would really become something special.
But, it's still special to me and my goal is to finish it.
I'm in the wildest part of the island now (hence the monkey) and am heading out again today. I bought some pepper spray the other day even though it's only a tiny little sprayer.

No problem...just bring some agent orange and an M-60. The monkey and vegetation won't be a problem. Just sayin.:beer:

fiddlehead
2011-06-26, 22:54
glad i posted this thread as i just reread my first post and almost forgot my handkerchief>
Got everything else.
Except the pack, i bought a bigger fanny pack. Holds it all nicely. (have a badminton racket case for the machete that works as a shoulder sling)

MonkeyBoy
2011-06-27, 15:39
Reminds me of hiking with Squatch on the PCT. He would occasionally go home for a few weeks, during which time he would unpack his pack. Every time he came out to meet me again, he'd forgotten something. Usually minor, like his sleeping pad or his groundcloth.

But once he forgot his cookpot, and we had to take turns using mine until we reached Seiad Valley. Finding nothing usable in the general store, he asked the owner of the RV Park if he had a pot to sell.

He didn't, but he gave Squatch a metal dogbowl that worked perfectly.

Took our Scout Troop out to one of the barrier islands by having the Coast Guard drop us off one day and pick us up the next when they were running operations.

The kids forgot their patrol box, which has the pots and pans in it.

They were all freaking out and asking me what to do. I had to explain to them that we were on a deserted island and for them to put their heads together and come up with a solution.

So they took the big commerical sized can of pork and beans, took off the label and cooked it in the fire. Ate the beans out using their spoons and then used the humongous can for their pot the rest of the weekend.

So next time.....just tell your buddy to buy a can of beans. :)

It's a cheap pot and comes with free beans inside.

fiddlehead
2011-06-27, 20:40
Well, it was a tough day with about 10 miles of mostly bushwhacking done.
I had to finish by following a creek steeply down the last mountain (250 meter descent)
No monkey. And I did go right where he attacked me last year. Had my pepper spray out and ready.
Cicadas were very loud most of the day.
The big problem (besides that descent) today was bees. Ran into 2 swarms of them, got stung by 2 the first swarm and 5 the second.
Saw no people at all and had to travel 24 kms to get back to my motorcycle (paid someone to take me)
It won't be easy to get back up to the top where I bailed out.
Got home 30 minutes before dark.
Oh well. Gotta love it.

ps. I don't know if you could start any fire in that jungle. Too green and thick.
and I don't know if the monkeys ever heard a gun to be afraid of one (or a firecracker) might be interesting to find out (firecracker, not agent orange)

MonkeyBoy
2011-06-27, 22:51
The monkey is the culprit. He co-ordinated the bee attacks.

They're sneaky like that.

sheepdog
2011-06-28, 06:17
The monkey is the culprit. He co-ordinated the bee attacks.

They're sneaky like that.

could start a whole new bulletin board, with threads like:
monkey spray
how to monkey proof your food bag
machetes....

Elder
2011-06-28, 10:11
could start a whole new bulletin board, with threads like:
monkey spray
how to monkey proof your food bag
machetes....

www.bushcraftusa.com all that and much more!

:beer: