PDA

View Full Version : What where they thinking

Wise Old Owl
2011-06-23, 23:50
OK I really get it somewhat - they hav paid for proprietary software over on WB. Most of the time i would have given this this a pass, but wow its hard to look at in spite of the fact that I do like change.

He held off for a long time to introduce the update and clearly folks are dumbfounded.

Its like a girl trying on a new black dress for the second time.... (beyond stupid)

I might be out of line here but we are all paying for the software. And that is my real issue.

Nobody was ready for this change'

MonkeyBoy
2011-06-23, 23:56
Loads slow.
The neon green is obnoxious.
Don't see any real benefit for the change.

Just another reason to not frequent there as often.

Weary
2011-06-24, 00:11
It's my suspicion that ATTroll got taken by a smooth-talking sales person. I have yet to see any benefits, but have seen a lot of bad thinking. Who ever made the changes seems to have had no idea about the trail, the site, and the unique needs of its users.

And probably none of the "administrators," were let in on the changes until the contractor had left town, or whatever.

Hog On Ice
2011-06-24, 00:21
I might be out of line here but we are all paying for the software. And that is my real issue.

not me - I suppress all ads from WB and I will never give troll another contribution - this is my policy for the last several years

Bearpaw
2011-06-24, 00:41
Some parrots are saying that it's just another change and we should get used to it. But there are some MAJOR issues with the software change.

The search function has been rendered almost worthless. The posts the search shows are in a completely random order and topics I posted about last week can no longer be found.

For me, as a member who posts trip reports with lots of photos, the new system is almost unusable. You can only post images through the "quick reply" window, which automatically scrolls back to the top whenever you try to past in an image code. I will have to type a filler first post, then copy and paste from a pre-typed text with the image codes already pasted in. It's doable, but is it worth it?

I let my donating member status lapse last year due to frustrations with some heavier-handed-than-usual moderating, but I hoped I might change my mind with some changes in their approach. Now, even if moderation improves, I don't know that I want to contribute much to a site that is technically hostile to members.

Just my frustrated thoughts.

generoll
2011-06-24, 09:19
Yeah, I'm with you. I don't even go there now cause I can't figure out how to find anything.

Superman
2011-06-24, 09:21
Yeah, I'm with you. I don't even go there now cause I can't figure out how to find anything.

I asked how to unsubscribe to Whiteblaze this morning.

Crikey
2011-06-24, 09:49

Why ask. Just piss Gator off enough and he'll do it for you.

Lugnut
2011-06-24, 10:01

I just posted your answer. I might get unsubscribed for suggesting it and it will all be your fault! :argh:

Superman
2011-06-24, 10:13
Was this you?

I just posted your answer. I might get unsubscribed for suggesting it and it will all be your fault! :argh:

Dear superman,

You have received a new private message at WhiteBlaze - Appalachian Trail from Ender, entitled "Unsubscribe".

To read the original version, respond to, or delete this message, you must log in here:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/private.php

This is the message that was sent:
Superman,

I moved your question to the "Forum Help Topics" forum. Someone there should be able to help. I don't have any idea myself how to go about it.

Rockhound
2011-06-24, 10:14
Why ask. Just piss Gator off enough and he'll do it for you.

That's some good thinkin' right there. The key is to do it in a manner that will be memorable. Like when you quit a job. You don't want to just go to the boss and say "I quit". You want to walk into work, send out a mass email of a picture of the boss at the Christmas party drunk and fondling the office slut, who is not his wife, tip over a few desks, take the "troll" collection off that annoying persons desk and put it through the shredder, piss on the bosses leather chair, set fire to the "hang in there baby" poster with the kitten dangling from a tree limb he has hanging on his door, slap the hot chick on the ass, take some scissors and cut off the tie with cartoon characters on it worn by the office kiss ass, knee the bosses son-in law in the balls, turn and announce, "I will not be in on Monday", then steal the office fish and walk out the door, hop in your car and plow into the bosses Mercedes before you peel out of the parking lot with your middle finger extending proudly back to your former place of employment.

Superman
2011-06-24, 10:18
That's some good thinkin' right there. The key is to do it in a manner that will be memorable. Like when you quit a job. You don't want to just go to the boss and say "I quit". You want to walk into work, send out a mass email of a picture of the boss at the Christmas party drunk and fondling the office slut, who is not his wife, tip over a few desks, take the "troll" collection off that annoying persons desk and put it through the shredder, piss on the bosses leather chair, set fire to the "hang in there baby" poster with the kitten dangling from a tree limb he has hanging on his door, slap the hot chick on the ass, take some scissors and cut off the tie with cartoon characters on it worn by the office kiss ass, knee the bosses son-in law in the balls, turn and announce, "I will not be in on Monday", then steal the office fish and walk out the door, hop in your car and plow into the bosses Mercedes before you peel out of the parking lot with your middle finger extending proudly back to your former place of employment.

Is this the secret to your success?:beer:

seven
2011-06-24, 10:43

WOW,

You work for the government too

Wise Old Owl
2011-06-24, 11:38

I thought it was easier to stun them with silence.... People who post threads with drama like overtones that they are leaving - generally don't., they are back after a while.

Superman
2011-06-24, 11:53
I thought it was easier to stun them with silence.... People who post threads with drama like overtones that they are leaving - generally don't., they are back after a while.

I've had enough fun on Whiteblaze. I was there mostly for the dog issues but it's been 11 years since Winter and I hiked the AT. I don't really have anything constructive to contribute any more. I met a lot of nice house pet dogs on the trail but very few trail dogs. I saw a few cases of what I considered thoughtless dog abuse. I'd rather withdraw from the whole thing since it's more of a source of irritation.

Crikey
2011-06-24, 11:54
Yeah, all I did was mention that my posts get deleted, and bam. 3 weeks moderation.

I don't care, really. I'll be in Africa in July. Happy hiking to ya guys.

Weary
2011-06-24, 11:56
Early in my newspaper career I was the only reporter for a six-day a week daily. There was a 14 year old who used to hang around the office. He preferred the radio station, but they kicked him out. Anyway, I always had more to do than I could manage, so from time to time, I would send him up to check the police blotter, or to snap a picture of a sports team. He gradually learned to write stories, and eventually I hired him at $20 a week for a summer job. He became quite skilful, but a pain in the ass to work with. His work, however, impressed the editor of a sister weekly newspaper, and he hired him away from us. As he was leaving, the kid announced, "I'm going to work for a real editor, not for a clown like you."

As he went out the door, I offered him a final bit of advice, "Try not to burn your bridges behind you." It was good advice. The other editor couldn't stand him. Three weeks later he was back with us.

BTW, though he just barely passed high school English, (his teacher had been astonished to see his bylined stories on the pages of the local newspaper) and never saw the inside of a college, the kid went on to pretty distinguished newspaper career. He became an Associated Press state house reporter, a general assignment reporter for the largest Maine newspaper, and managing editor of a succession of ever larger newspapers.

generoll
2011-06-24, 11:56
kinda how I ended my employment in Chattanooga. Not quite so dramatic, but they got the point. They offered me early retirement. I guess you could say they insisted.

Kanga
2011-06-24, 12:15
since the moderation has eased up over there in the past couple of weeks, i was going to reup my donation status. now i can't read the damn thing and i am not going to spend money on something i can't use.

sheepdog
2011-06-24, 12:16
since the moderation has eased up over there in the past couple of weeks, i was going to reup my donation status. now i can't read the damn thing and i am not going to spend money on something i can't use.

I was thinking the same

Kanga
2011-06-24, 12:26
i haven't been back since i posted over there that i disliked the change.

Crikey
2011-06-24, 12:32
since the moderation has eased up over there in the past couple of weeks

I would disagree.

Kanga
2011-06-24, 12:37
lol! well, he's left me alone anyways.

Rockhound
2011-06-24, 12:59
lol! well, he's left me alone anyways.

prolly just cant find ya with all the new technological improvements.

mudhead
2011-06-24, 14:21
You want to walk into work, send out a mass email of a picture of the boss at the Christmas party drunk and fondling the office slut, who is not his wife, tip over a few desks, take the "troll" collection off that annoying persons desk and put it through the shredder, piss on the bosses leather chair, set fire to the "hang in there baby" poster with the kitten dangling from a tree limb he has hanging on his door, slap the hot chick on the ass, take some scissors and cut off the tie with cartoon characters on it worn by the office kiss ass, knee the bosses son-in law in the balls, turn and announce, "I will not be in on Monday", then steal the office fish and walk out the door,

Finally I hear the Walmart story...

Jester
2011-06-24, 16:11

I've never gone back.

fiddlehead
2011-06-24, 17:41
There's still stuff to be learned over there.
Right now there's a great trip someone is doing in southern china with awesome pics.
And I like learning about new products out there, like cuban and the latest cameras.
Sure I get tired of the newbie (sometimes really stupid) questions but now only even look at perhaps 1-3% of the threads.

Crikey
2011-06-24, 22:22
I've never gone back.

Ha. I can't now. At least not under this name.

General
2011-06-25, 18:29
i've had a couple of posts edited, but other than that, never been moderated or been sent pm's or anything like that over there. and, i've spouted some pretty obnoxious stuff. always over looked. i even told frosty that his momma should have swallowed his ass.

Kanga
2011-06-25, 19:46
yeah, but you left before gator went nazi. doesn't count.

Wise Old Owl
2011-06-26, 01:00

- just post something resembling Change and it will disappear so fast!

Kanga
2011-06-26, 01:34
- just post something resembling Change and it will disappear so fast!

I totally disagree. I get the feeling they love obama over there.

Rockhound
2011-06-26, 07:14

That there is a TOS violation. 3 weeks in the hole

Hog On Ice
2011-06-26, 08:03
is it a tight hole?

Wise Old Owl
2011-06-27, 00:37
Oh no here we go...

Weary
2011-06-27, 01:09
I get the feeling that they are totally ignorant of political matters, which is why they don't like Obama.:burnout:

Superman
2011-06-27, 03:37
I get the feeling that they are totally ignorant of political matters, which is why they don't like Obama.:burnout:

but not in a political way:bath:

Kanga
2011-06-27, 08:30

Lol!

Crikey
2011-06-27, 11:26
Don't violate the house rules or you'll get Gatored.

MonkeyBoy
2011-06-27, 15:31
Just mention the word "inseam".......

Rockhound
2011-06-27, 17:46
I double dog dare someone to start a "there's no such thing as an inseam" thread.

Russell
2011-06-27, 17:50
I have not been on WB for 4 years or so. I should do it just for grins.

Russell
2011-06-27, 17:51
But I need to know, "What is the fucking inseam?"

JoeyB
2011-06-27, 19:02
I have not been on WB for 4 years or so. I should do it just for grins.

doubt you've been missed.

Wise Old Owl
2011-06-28, 18:51
Mala - surly you know - its the seam that runs up the inside leg and crosses under the nuts bag causing chafe.

Skidsteer
2011-06-28, 19:12
I tried to log on with no success.

Apparently just talking trash about the new software crashes it.

Crikey
2011-06-28, 22:00
I tried to log on with no success.

Apparently just talking trash about the new software crashes it.

Funny, same thing happened to me too. Didn't know they had a mod called new software.

Tin Man
2011-06-28, 23:00
Mala - surly you know - its the seam that runs up the inside leg and crosses under the nuts bag causing chafe.

i thought the gator caused the chafe...

this site sure has a lot more knowledgeable peeps than that there other site

Nearly Normal
2011-06-28, 23:21
Fuck them.......np0solnL1XY

Kanga
2011-06-29, 09:46
Funny, same thing happened to me too. Didn't know they had a mod called new software.

lol!:beer:

SGT Rock
2011-06-29, 11:36
It looks like he got the upgrade to vBulletin 4.0 and paid the extra to take off the vBulletin name off the software. The rest of the changes are all his tweeks of the software. I really don't like the new look.

BTW if I did the upgrade we would have some of the same issues over here. We are still on 3.7.2

Tin Man
2011-06-29, 12:41
It looks like he got the upgrade to vBulletin 4.0 and paid the extra to take off the vBulletin name off the software. The rest of the changes are all his tweeks of the software. I really don't like the new look.

BTW if I did the upgrade we would have some of the same issues over here. We are still on 3.7.2

best to avoid the bleeding edge... wait for 4.1 or 4.2 or they drop support on 3.7

SGT Rock
2011-06-29, 13:16
I believe they have dropped support. The current version is 4.1.4 so they have already done some fixing.

I'm not sure what version to go with when I do upgrade someday. There are three basic options:

Plain - like we use now. I would also have to do the vBadvanced upgrade for the front page. $195

Plain with publisher - which is what I think WB went with. Replaces the vBadvanced software with some new stuff built into vBulletin. It should also allow for making more custom content pages using the vBulletin software which I probably wouldn't use anyway. $90 extra

Mobile - apparently the new software has an optional add in to support smartphones. I'm not sure this extra is worth it either. $190

Someone had brought up adding a gallery earlier. That would be about $129 for some good software to support that.

Skidsteer
2011-06-29, 13:29
I bet we could raise that much in about fifteen minutes.

I know I'd donate. It's only fair for the entertainment value we're getting. A gallery would be nice.

Cuffs
2011-06-29, 13:30
I like the idea of the mobile version. If theres enough interest I get you could take up a collection to cover the additional cost!

Russell
2011-06-29, 13:31
I'm in.

Tin Man
2011-06-29, 13:40
I bet we could raise that much in about fifteen minutes.

I know I'd donate. It's only fair for the entertainment value we're getting. A gallery would be nice.

:dito:

I like the idea of the mobile version. If theres enough interest I get you could take up a collection to cover the additional cost!

I'm in.

SGT Rock
2011-06-29, 14:12
Mobile currently only works for iPhone and Android. I don't know if Blackberry or Windows Smartphone are in the works. Here is what it looks like:

https://www.vbulletin.com/mobile/

Russell
2011-06-29, 14:16
Rock, if you get a gallery, will we be able to post pictures directly to this site?

Tin Man
2011-06-29, 14:21
Mobile currently only works for iPhone and Android. I don't know if Blackberry or Windows Smartphone are in the works. Here is what it looks like:

blackberry is dead technology, windows smartphone was doa

Crikey
2011-06-29, 14:45
I'd donate here in a second.

Cuffs
2011-06-29, 14:46

I like it! :beer:

JERMM
2011-06-29, 15:03

i don't have a mobile...i feel so, so, so left out

SGT Rock
2011-06-29, 15:09
Rock, if you get a gallery, will we be able to post pictures directly to this site?
yes you will

Russell
2011-06-29, 15:13
Great.

I do have a question, what is the difference between the using the mobile and using the browser on my iphone to use this site?

SGT Rock
2011-06-29, 15:19
Your iPhone would probably default to the web version which would look like this on your phone: https://www.vbulletin.com/mobile/

and I'm sure you could exit out to the standard view for some features which probably don't work on the mobile view.

MonkeyBoy
2011-06-29, 15:34
Is there a version that I can make someone explode if they read my posts???

I'd donate to that........

Cuffs
2011-06-29, 15:36
I use Safari on the iphone to access HHQ currently. Its the full version as you see it on any desk/laptop computer. To view all the small buttons, I have to zoom in to make them large enough to touch. The mobile version makes all the links buttons.

chief
2011-06-29, 15:40
Wonder why attroll decided to pay extra ($170) for the unbranded version? I mean it's not like anyone will believe he wrote his own forum application, right? Guess he has money to burn from all the WB faithful.

SGT Rock
2011-06-29, 15:45
I don't know. I wouldn't pay for it.

Hog On Ice
2011-06-29, 15:49
is there something that vBulletin can do to turn a smart phone into a vibrator?

Kanga
2011-06-29, 16:05
please please please do not get the mobile version. i got the iphone so that i would have safari so that it would be just like a big computer. if you get the mobile then i'll have to push "go to full version" on every fucking page just like i have to for everything else! it SUCKS!!

SGT Rock
2011-06-29, 16:12
I just played around on a mobile enabled site with my android. It worked very well. If you have an iPhone or droid check out www.vbulletin.com/forum/

Cuffs
2011-06-29, 16:14
please please please do not get the mobile version. i got the iphone so that i would have safari so that it would be just like a big computer. if you get the mobile then i'll have to push "go to full version" on every fucking page just like i have to for everything else! it SUCKS!!

then youre not doin it right. We'll compare notes in Hiawassee. :beer:

Russell
2011-06-29, 16:20
then youre not doin it right. We'll compare notes in Hiawassee. :beer:

Can I watch?:angel:

Cuffs
2011-06-29, 16:24
How much money you got?

(it'll cost ya more than $3)

Lugnut
2011-06-29, 16:29

At present you can post pictures to an album. Click on my name, go to my info page and I have 3 or 4 albums there. You're even in some of the pictures! :aetsch: Have to admit it would be nice to just have a gallery though.

SGT Rock
2011-06-29, 16:31
Well it looks like getting the vBulletin upgrade and the mobile would run me $379. Adding the gallery would be another $129. So $508 total.

Lugnut
2011-06-29, 16:32
Is that forever or per year? Either way count me in.

Crikey
2011-06-29, 17:08
xxxx

SGT Rock
2011-06-29, 17:16
Is that forever or per year? Either way count me in.

For vBulletin it buys the license forever and access to support and stuff for 4.xx forever, if they go to 5.0 it would probably mean buying a new license.

I already own the 3.7 forever. But there was an annual fee for support. It looks like they are getting away from that.

For the Photopost software it allows me to own it forever and one year of access to upgrades. After that year it is a $39 renewal fee to maintain support and access to updates.

Hooch
2011-06-30, 12:38
We'll compare notes in Hiawassee. :beer:You make it sound hot. :ahhhhh: