PDA

View Full Version : Deep Jungle Asym Zip

jimtanker
2011-06-24, 09:43
Alright all you swingers out there.

I HATE mosquitoes but they love me. I have been thinking about getting the Deep Jungle Asym Zip because it says that it has a double layered bottom on it. Anyone have any experience with this one? Would it be too hot in normal weather?

Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Lugnut
2011-06-24, 10:02
There are Mosquitos in the sandbox?

Superman
2011-06-24, 10:15
Just pay a hot arab babe to blow the skeeters off you.:angel:

Gaiter
2011-06-24, 10:26
drink tonic water... but you don't have to drink it straight

sheepdog
2011-06-24, 10:45
hope that helped :bike:

jimtanker
2011-06-24, 10:54
Just pay a hot arab babe to blow the skeeters off you.:angel:

That's not what needs blown.

jimtanker
2011-06-24, 10:55
hope that helped :bike:

Not a bit. I figured if I posted this on the "regular" place it would at least get some logical reply. Silly me. LOL

sheepdog
2011-06-24, 12:26
Not a bit. I figured if I posted this on the "regular" place it would at least get some logical reply. Silly me. LOL

I have a warbonnet hammock with a double layered bottom. I just got it and haven't used it during heavy mosquito season. I don't know if they can bite through it or not.

Bearpaw
2011-06-24, 12:31
I don't have personal experience with the deep jungle hennessy, but I have heard from someone who did that it works very well. What I hear is that it is a bit roomier than the double layer Warbonnet Blackbird that I use.

I've been in some decent mosquitoe clouds in the Blackbird and never gotten a bite through the double layer. If the Deep Jungle HH is in fact thicker, then I would imagine it would serve you fine.

Of course I would still throw out a plug for Warbonnet, if for no other reason than all the hammocks are still made in America, unlike HH where they are nearly all made in China nowadays. And I personally just don't like Tom Hennessy.

Hog On Ice
2011-06-24, 15:28
another alternative is to treat the hammock with permethrin provided it will never be around cats

generoll
2011-06-24, 17:30
I thought the purpose of the double bottom was to slip an insulating pad into between the layers.

Bearpaw
2011-06-24, 18:25
I thought the purpose of the double bottom was to slip an insulating pad into between the layers.

The primary reason is to strengthen the overall strength of the fabric, but holding a pad in place is a big plus. The extra layer also helps out tremendously with blocking skeeters.

Loneoak
2011-07-03, 17:27
Bearpaw, do you use the layer Warbonnet because of the fact you can use a pad in between the layers? Or do you use an underquilt? Thanks, I would like to hook up with you someday to see it. I don't live far from you, I'm off hwy 58...harrison

dixicritter
2011-07-03, 21:43
Alright all you swingers out there.

I HATE mosquitoes but they love me. I have been thinking about getting the Deep Jungle Asym Zip because it says that it has a double layered bottom on it. Anyone have any experience with this one? Would it be too hot in normal weather?

Any recommendations will be appreciated.

When I used mine last year, I didn't have any trouble with mosquitoes. Also it was in August and I wasn't anymore hot in the hammock than out of it. Hope that helps.

Here's a link to the review... http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5739

Mutinousdoug
2011-07-04, 01:03
The Dink scouts we had on our side all used double layer hammocks that were much lighter than my nylon 1966 model GI hammock. They were supposed to be silk but could have been rayon or anything else for all I know. Two layers is not any hotter than a single. When It got cold (down about 75f ?) over there, the scouts would get between the layers to cover up.
I thought My hammock was pretty mosquito proof but, when I came down with malaria in California four months after I got back from RVN, I re-assessed it's effectivity.
I think the double layer would be pretty effective but then again I don't know how any of our scouts did after 1975 either.
Doug

Bearpaw
2011-07-04, 17:06
Bearpaw, do you use the layer Warbonnet because of the fact you can use a pad in between the layers? Or do you use an underquilt? Thanks, I would like to hook up with you someday to see it. I don't live far from you, I'm off hwy 58...harrison

I got the double layer initially to slide a pad in for warmer weather use, but I am more comfortable and lighter with an underquilt. I use a 10-ounce Warbonnet Yeti 2/3 length quilt with a 24"x20" Gossamer Gear Nighlight pad that works in the footbox and doubles as a sit pad/knee pad for breaks or cooking. This setup is great down to around freezing. Below that I go with a different hammock and underquilt.

Roche
2011-07-06, 09:41
I have the HH DP XL Zip and love it. Very comfy and roomy. I've never had any skeeter issues, but I'm not in nasty skeeter country either (Knoxville/GSMNP). My understanding is a double layer hammock is a must to help fight off skeeters and Permethrin is added insurance.

jimtanker
2011-07-08, 13:36
Thanks all. It broke 120 degrees here today. Supposed to be 121 tomorrow. Enjoy your summer.

Bearpaw
2011-07-08, 13:39
Thanks all. It broke 120 degrees here today. Supposed to be 121 tomorrow. Enjoy your summer.

You know, if it were a "dry heat", it might be semi tolerable. But I know SWA can be humid as hell. 120 with humidity?!

Uh-uh. No stinkin way. Aint happening for me.

Superman
2011-07-08, 16:41
You know, if it were a "dry heat", it might be semi tolerable. But I know SWA can be humid as hell. 120 with humidity?!

Uh-uh. No stinkin way. Aint happening for me.

We talk about closing the town when the temp gets to 90 degrees around here.

jimtanker
2011-07-09, 12:12
122* today with 5% humidity.

For anyone who has never been here, go and get 10 hair dryers and arange them so that they all blow at your face at the same time. That will get you a close approximation. Now go and put on your heavy coat and a 60 pound ruck and you know what the guys on the front line are experienceing. Good thing that isnt me anymore.

john pickett
2011-07-09, 17:53
In (I believe) 1980 I traveled to lovely 29 Palms, Ca. for a combined arms excercise as a support corpsman for a Marine Reserve tank company. At the end of the CAX we had a debriefing meeting where we were told the mobile air station had recorded high air temps around 140F for the first 12 days. The last two days the high air temp recorded was only about 120F. Several attendees commented they had noticed a crispness in the air those last two days.

Rosaleen
2011-07-10, 00:10
Hey, JimTanker-

I hope things are going OK for you. The Deep Jungle has two layers of the same material that Hennessy uses for the Hyperlight series. It seems a bit more stretchy and breathable to me than the Backpacker models. I find the Backpacker fabric too tightly woven for most mosquitoes to bite through. The double-bottom Deep Jungle is expected to be fairly bite-through, but I have no experience with using mine in the summer. I plan to use it more for cold weather, with the radiant pad and maybe my Gossamer Gear Thinlight.

I spray all my hammocks (bottom and net) with permethrin to help stop bugs from crawling on the hammock and maybe breaching my cocoon.

Stay healthy!

Rosaleen

jimtanker
2011-07-12, 11:35
2 days ago it was 117* and 48% humidity. Very sucky.

Thanks Ros. I'll keep that in mind. I dont plan on buying it for a few years until after I get out of here.