PDA

View Full Version : Bet you never knew

john pickett
2011-07-08, 00:24
a bear could be a democrat http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/07/07/wyoming.grizzly.attack/index.html?hpt=hp_t2:afraid:

john pickett
2011-07-08, 00:35
Figures I would screw that up. Computers have it in for me. First I have to be smarter than a grain of silicon dioxide, I guess. And no! that would Not make me a Democrat.

JoeyB
2011-07-08, 06:31
tragic.

but it still beats living your life surrounded by sheet rock walls or safety glass windshields, as so many limit themselves with.

Weary
2011-07-09, 22:35
tragic.

but it still beats living your life surrounded by sheet rock walls or safety glass windshields, as so many limit themselves with.
Very true. Risk is an important part of truly living. The greatest tragedy that is happening in this country today, is not the frivolous wars, or a few poverty stricken descendents of the Spanish invasion of Mexico a half century ago crossing our southern borders, not even unemployment, but, rather, the reluctance of parents to allow their kids a familiarization with wild places, and the possibility of life without motors.

I see it everyday. Parents, even in this small town, panic at the thought of their kids walking our trails alone, though none of the trails are more than a mile or so from the nearest highway. Some buy their kids $10,000 ATV's, that kill kids every few months in Maine. But they panic over trails where motorized vehicles are banned, though Maine hasn't had a pedestrian trail death probably since the Indian defenders of their lands were mostly killed off before the American revolution.

Nearly Normal
2011-07-09, 23:38
I wish we'd gone ahead and got Cuba. Sounds like it was a good place to fish and party.

Superman
2011-07-10, 02:24
I wish we'd gone ahead and got Cuba. Sounds like it was a good place to fish and party.

I agree.

JoeyB
2011-07-11, 08:56
Very true. Risk is an important part of truly living. The greatest tragedy that is happening in this country today, is not the frivolous wars, or a few poverty stricken descendents of the Spanish invasion of Mexico a half century ago crossing our southern borders, not even unemployment, but, rather, the reluctance of parents to allow their kids a familiarization with wild places, and the possibility of life without motors.

I see it everyday. Parents, even in this small town, panic at the thought of their kids walking our trails alone, though none of the trails are more than a mile or so from the nearest highway. Some buy their kids $10,000 ATV's, that kill kids every few months in Maine. But they panic over trails where motorized vehicles are banned, though Maine hasn't had a pedestrian trail death probably since the Indian defenders of their lands were mostly killed off before the American revolution.

well said.

earlier this year i was doing work in a rather upscale, gated community.
every afternoon the school bus would come in, drop off the kids and leave.
for 4-5 minutes the entire area sounded just like a typical neighborhood that most of us grew up in.
laughter and the sound of kids filled the air, until one by one they all reached their respective homes and went inside.
then it was dead quiet for the rest of the day.

no kids out running around on bikes, playing hide n' seek, etc....

we commented on how when we were kids, we'd get home from school, change clothes and wouldn't be seen indoors until everyone's moms would start hollerin' out names when dinner was ready.

Superman
2011-07-11, 09:07
well said.

earlier this year i was doing work in a rather upscale, gated community.
every afternoon the school bus would come in, drop off the kids and leave.
for 4-5 minutes the entire area sounded just like a typical neighborhood that most of us grew up in.
laughter and the sound of kids filled the air, until one by one they all reached their respective homes and went inside.
then it was dead quiet for the rest of the day.

no kids out running around on bikes, playing hide n' seek, etc....

we commented on how when we were kids, we'd get home from school, change clothes and wouldn't be seen indoors until everyone's moms would start hollerin' out names when dinner was ready.

All true and when I buy something electronic I need a 10 year old to tell be hopw to use it. The world has changed....I'm not so sure that it's for the better. This is not the same country that I grew up in. :beer:

mudhead
2011-07-11, 12:56

If they could find you it meant work. Chores done, be scarce.:)