PDA

View Full Version : Cimarron, 88 year old thru attempt, going strong

Tin Man
2011-07-10, 18:02
2011 Appalachian Trail
88 year old, soon to be 89, completed a two-year section hike in 2004, and is now returning to the trail on February 25 for a one-year Thru-hike attempt. I welcome all the help I can get and your prayers. "If you never try to do it, you will never know you could do it."

Cimarron -Mike Caetano

http://trailjournals.com/about.cfm?trailname=11863

we ran into a 'trail angel' attempting to resupply this guy at kelly stand road at the base of stratton mtn, in vt. apparently he took a bad fall near congdon shelter and went into bennington for medical. turned out he required 8-9 stitches in his head, but did go back out there. hope he is doing well.

Superman
2011-07-10, 18:21
Last year I passed him in the Smokies on a cold, wet, nasty day. This year he was at Fontana Village while I was there.

Weary
2011-07-10, 18:56
Last year I passed him in the Smokies on a cold, wet, nasty day. This year he was at Fontana Village while I was there.
I've dreamed from time to time about doing a thru hike at age 83 (next year).
. I would welcome any older competitors for the honor -- which I don't plan to announce to the world, anyway, just to myself and possibly my wife and kids -- well, maybe to my land trust board members, and MATC, whose leaders have applauded my various efforts over the decades.

Ray
2011-07-10, 21:04
So you're saying that if you leave Maine for a couple seasons next year then some people would applaud?

Bearpaw
2011-07-11, 02:10
I've dreamed from time to time about doing a thru hike at age 83 (next year).
. I would welcome any older competitors for the honor -- which I don't plan to announce to the world, anyway, just to myself and possibly my wife and kids -- well, maybe to my land trust board members, and MATC, whose leaders have applauded my various efforts over the decades.

Wise move.

I only hope I still have the ambition to manage an overnighter in my 80's.

Well, actually, at this stage in life, I would settle for managing it into my 80's.

Weary
2011-07-11, 09:41
So you're saying that if you leave Maine for a couple seasons next year then some people would applaud?
Well, quite a few would applaud to get rid of me. But occasionally someone thinks I do something useful.

Tin Man
2011-07-11, 10:06
okay weary, now back to our story about cimarron, the OLDEST to attempt a thru. apparently he is doing very well in spite of his injury. glad to hear the news after talking to Pilot, his resupply guy, who seemed concerned on Sunday...

http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=354202

Big Mac
2011-07-11, 10:57
okay weary, now back to our story about cimarron, the OLDEST to attempt a thru. apparently he is doing very well in spite of his injury. glad to hear the news after talking to Pilot, his resupply guy, who seemed concerned on Sunday...

http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=354202

I think he has taken several bad tumbles this year. I hope one of them doesn't kill him.