PDA

View Full Version : Summer sausage

Ewker
2011-07-21, 17:30
I am looking for some good summer sausage to buy.

I have tried the following brands: Hickory Farms, Old Wisconsin(one of the better ones), New Johnsville, Jacks Link and others. None of them really popped out to me :(

I did find this company online and was wondering if anyone had tried them and could give a thumbs up or down on their product. https://www.bavariasausage.com/index.php

Cuffs
2011-07-21, 18:13
Pepperidge Farms?

Ray
2011-07-21, 18:59
This place (http://citymarket.bizland.com/store/page3.html) is in a part of Texas that knows sausages.

Plus they only sell Aggie stuff, no Longhorn stuff. That's a serious indication of good taste.

Ewker
2011-07-21, 21:51
thanks Ray, I checked their site out and it looks good. Have you bought from them before?

General
2011-07-21, 21:58
you can get your local butcher, a real butcher, not a grocery store look alike, to make you some how ever you like it.

sheepdog
2011-07-21, 22:00
You ever think of making your own.? It's not real hard to do.

Nearly Normal
2011-07-21, 22:03
Don't eat that stuff less you have to. That shit is bad for you.... it'll turn your gizzard wrong.

sheepdog
2011-07-21, 22:05
Don't eat that stuff less you have to. That shit is bad for you.... it'll turn your gizzard wrong.

all your good qualities and to think

they hide a summer sausage hater :ahhhhh:

General
2011-07-21, 22:12
its better for you than spam.

sheepdog
2011-07-21, 22:19
and tastes better

Ray
2011-07-21, 22:44
thanks Ray, I checked their site out and it looks good. Have you bought from them before?No, but the place where my parents always bought their sausage, in Bleiblerville (http://www.herbertscatering.com/aboutus.htm), doesn't make summer or dried sausage anymore. It looks like they've closed their meat market and just do catering now. I'm sure it's good BBQ, got to be, but Herbert used to process a calf or two for us every year. And I think we're kinfolk somehow.

But this other place is in the same area and if they've been in business that long then they're doing something right because Texans around there know sausages. And they're Aggies. Can't go wrong.

General
2011-07-22, 11:25
Longhorns suck donkey balls.

Ewker
2011-07-22, 12:19
you can get your local butcher, a real butcher, not a grocery store look alike, to make you some how ever you like it.

I will have to check and see if I can find a good butcher shop here who can do that.

You ever think of making your own.? It's not real hard to do.

never thought about making my own...hmmm

Skidsteer
2011-07-22, 12:45
I will have to check and see if I can find a good butcher shop here who can do that.

Some wild game processors will make it for you.

sheepdog
2011-07-23, 00:04

never thought about making my own...hmmm

you can buy kits from many sporting good stores. There are also some good recipes on line. It's better if you can smoke it but it's good done in the oven too.

mudhead
2011-07-23, 13:24
Longhorns suck donkey balls.

But only if the donkey is desperate.

Some wild game processors will make it for you.

Uncle out West has had deer and elk version of summer sausage done. It was very good. I couldn't eat it today, but don't really miss stuff like that.