PDA

View Full Version : Smoked Salmon

Ewker
2011-07-22, 12:26
I found this on another site. It might be of interest to some of you.

"I am offering everyone the opporunity to try some new things at a discounted price. You can visit the company's website at www.seabear.com The promotional code that was given to me was HIKE. It will knock $10 off when you spend $20 or more. Not a bad deal considering that they have some nice smoked salmon products and salmon jerky"

I ordered an 8 pack (foil packs 3.5 oz) of smoked wild king salmon...yum

It is a little expensive but smoked salmon is expensive

Wise Old Owl
2011-07-27, 02:17
Uhh Until you learn how friggin easy it is to do hot smoke Salmon in a bullet smoker!

Jim Henderson
2011-07-27, 12:55
yeah, you can smoke maybe $200(store bought) worth of salmon in a day and spend maybe $30 total in fish and brine/marinade. The smokers cost anywhere from $30 up to several hundred. You can make good smoked foods with a smoker costing less than $100 easy. Or make a home made smoker. Old iceboxes are favorites.

I wait for sales on whole salmon or fillets and put them in my Big Chief smoker for about 14 hours.

It is fairly easy to prepare the salmon(mostly cleaning, deboning and marinading, think Ziplock bags) and then you just wait for the smoker to do it's job. We make so much sometimes that we get tired of it. But there are so many ways to brine it, that it is hard to over do it unless you make too much.

My boys love the smoked fish and jerky(Did I mention you can make about many pounds of jerky even easier than salmon?) MORE than anything we have been able to buy in a store.

Now you done it, I gotta find me some salmon or beef on sale. BTW, if you have a local Chinese or oriental store around, they sell fish pretty cheap and fresh.

Jim Henderson

Get yourself a smoker and knock yourself out.

sheepdog
2011-07-27, 20:22
you buy your salmon???

Ewker
2011-07-27, 20:27
yeah, you can smoke maybe $200(store bought) worth of salmon in a day and spend maybe $30 total in fish and brine/marinade. The smokers cost anywhere from $30 up to several hundred. You can make good smoked foods with a smoker costing less than $100 easy. Or make a home made smoker. Old iceboxes are favorites.

I wait for sales on whole salmon or fillets and put them in my Big Chief smoker for about 14 hours.

It is fairly easy to prepare the salmon(mostly cleaning, deboning and marinading, think Ziplock bags) and then you just wait for the smoker to do it's job. We make so much sometimes that we get tired of it. But there are so many ways to brine it, that it is hard to over do it unless you make too much.

My boys love the smoked fish and jerky(Did I mention you can make about many pounds of jerky even easier than salmon?) MORE than anything we have been able to buy in a store.

Now you done it, I gotta find me some salmon or beef on sale. BTW, if you have a local Chinese or oriental store around, they sell fish pretty cheap and fresh.

Jim Henderson

Get yourself a smoker and knock yourself out.

Jim, how long does your smoked salmon last unrefrigerated?

Eddy

sheepdog
2011-07-27, 21:09
Jim, how long does your smoked salmon last unrefrigerated?

Eddy

it goes pretty fast if stored next to crackers and beer:albertein

Ewker
2011-07-28, 12:05
it goes pretty fast if stored next to crackers and beer:albertein

I agree with that

Jim Henderson
2011-07-29, 13:34
Not many salmon to catch in Southern California, so gotta buy it. I remember seeing a newspaper clipping on the bulletin board on Crystal pier back when I was a boy, in the 60s. In other words, salmon in So Cal is newsworthy.

I used to live in Oregon, and salmon was easier to find cheap. I never did get into fresh water fishing, salt is my style.

I haven't tried to smoke any of the local ocean fish. I suppose tuna, rock cod, perch maybe even shovel nose sharks might work. I have done tuna long ago, but it was too dry for my tastes. A friend of mine made some Oregon sturgeon, deeelicious.

Can't say for sure how long smoked salmon will keep since there are soooo many variables, like temperature, moisture, smoking method etc. I will say I have taken some into the mountains during 70-80 degree weather, packed into my backpack. It lasted a little over a day but that was because my boys ate it all. Usually we take a half fillet. That would cost quite a bit from a store.

We also have taken smoked beef jerky with us and it has survived a weekend in the mountains and a trip back home to the ice box. By the way, the way we make jerky is moist. It is soft and chewy, not hard dry leather. So, it will not last as long as dry jerky, but will last a few weeks in the fridge.

Jim Henderson

Nearly Normal
2011-07-29, 21:24
I don't buy fish.
I spend way too much on gear to catch fish and ...well... I'd probley come out cheaper buying fish....but I wouldn't have as much frustrating fun...or another reason to cuss.
Like the bait I casted up yesterday. It's in the frig.....giving my wife a good reason to cuss too.
I'm helping relieve tension.