PDA

View Full Version : Lifetime Warranty Network

Jester
2011-07-26, 20:09
People who think "Lifetime Warranty" refers to their lifetime and not the product's expected lifetime are morons.

cool breeze
2011-07-26, 20:20
What broke?

Superman
2011-07-26, 20:21
People who think "Lifetime Warranty" refers to their lifetime and not the product's expected lifetime are morons.

You wouldn't believe how many times a young salesman has said to me "and it should last you the rest of your life.":angel:

sheepdog
2011-07-26, 20:25
You wouldn't believe how many times a young salesman has said to me "and it should last you the rest of your life.":angel:

he could probably say that about green banana's

you're old :bike:

Superman
2011-07-26, 20:25
he could probably say that about green banana's

you're old :bike:

Young people suck....just sayin.:angel:

Tin Man
2011-07-26, 20:28

tell them if they aren't satisfied with the lifetime policy of the product the last sound the owner will hear will be a distinct metalic click

Skidsteer
2011-07-26, 20:33

Excellent point unless you're selling life insurance.

Big Mac
2011-07-26, 20:47
I used to work for a company that manufactured caskets. They had a "lifetime warranty" against leaking. How funny is that. We actaully got one back once. A body was exhumed, the casket had leaked and the dipshit funeral director sent it back to us. Our sales manager told them that next time we'd just believe them, they didn't have to send it back. Rotting death doesn't smell too good.

Jester
2011-07-26, 21:24
What broke?

Some people's common sense, apparently. Was just looking at a thread on a different hiking site.

Some people complaining that if a "lifetime warranty" didn't mean their lifetime, then it was just a misleading marketing gimmick. Just because a person is confused, it doesn't mean the company's warranty is misleading.

I've heard plenty of hikers say, "if it wears out while you're on the trail, just go to the next outfitter and they'll give you a new one." Having worked at "the next outfitter" in the past, it's annoying to have these hikers come in and expect to be handed new product when the problem is normal wear and tear.

Even something as seemingly all-encompassing as Darn Tough's lifetime guarantee has limits that are clearly explained, if one bothers to read:

"If our All Weather Performance Socks aren't the most comfortable and durable socks you've ever owned, return them for your money back."

Now, that's an opinion based thing. I could have them for half of the trail, land at Harper's Ferry, and decide, "nope. Not the most comfortable or durable." But that doesn't get me new socks. It allows me to return them to the company for my money back. And yet this year I've heard hikers say, "the great thing about them is that when they wear out you can go to an outfitter and get a new pair." Um, no, no you can't.

This is just another aspect of entitlement, and it's the sort of thing that, when abused, leads manufacturers and outfitters to be less friendly to long-distance hikers.

If you're 20 and you think that a company's warranty is even suggesting that they're going to keep you in socks, or shoes, or even tents or sleeping pads for the rest of your life based on a warranty having to do with defects of parts or manufacturing, then you're a moron. And if you're older than that, grow up.

Tin Man
2011-07-26, 21:30
This is just another aspect of entitlement, and it's the sort of thing that, when abused, leads manufacturers and outfitters to be less friendly to long-distance hikers.

If you're 20 and you think that a company's warranty is even suggesting that they're going to keep you in socks, or shoes, or even tents or sleeping pads for the rest of your life based on a warranty having to do with defects of parts or manufacturing, then you're a moron. And if you're older than that, grow up.

:beer:

Cuffs
2011-07-26, 21:34
I posted to that thread too. Stoopid pieces of crap. The people not the gear.

SGT Rock
2011-07-26, 22:11
I modify most of my gear anyway. I guess it voids the warranty, but I've never sniveled to a manufacturer to find out.

Nearly Normal
2011-07-26, 22:22
I spent the money on a Troy built tiller once. Those assholes should have included in the warrenty "unless we sell to the chinks, then you're frucked"

Superman
2011-07-26, 22:31
My family used to make a pilrimage to Freeport, Maine to shop at LL Bean every year for Christmas. I can't remember anything ever being returned. When my gampa died the thing that people wanted was his red and black plaid wool hunting jacket. Their stuff lasted and lasted. Now...their crap is made in Ethiopia or what ever and sucks the same as Walmart stuff. We shopped at LL Bean for the quality, not for the warranty...I don't bother to shop there any more.

Kanga
2011-07-26, 23:58
please post a link. i'm pms'ing and i have a handgun.

Jester
2011-07-27, 00:57
please post a link. i'm pms'ing and i have a handgun.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?74577-P.O.E.-s-warranty-is-a-P.O.S.

Kanga
2011-07-27, 01:17
that is not the link we were looking for. move on.

Cuffs
2011-07-27, 01:25
That is so the right link. Regarding 'lifetime warranty' douchebags

Wise Old Owl
2011-07-27, 02:07
I used to work for a company that manufactured caskets. They had a "lifetime warranty" against leaking. How funny is that. We actaully got one back once. A body was exhumed, the casket had leaked and the dipshit funeral director sent it back to us. Our sales manager told them that next time we'd just believe them, they didn't have to send it back. Rotting death doesn't smell too good.

Arn't you glad the customer didn't have a woody about it....:ahhhhh:

Wise Old Owl
2011-07-27, 02:10
it's amazing how something over at WB is whitewashed can get such a different take over here.... its actually fun!

mudhead
2011-07-27, 14:41
My family used to make a pilrimage to Freeport, Maine to shop at LL Bean every year for Christmas. I can't remember anything ever being returned. When my gampa died the thing that people wanted was his red and black plaid wool hunting jacket. Their stuff lasted and lasted. Now...their crap is made in Ethiopia or what ever and sucks the same as Walmart stuff. We shopped at LL Bean for the quality, not for the warranty...I don't bother to shop there any more.

Once was if you had something from LL that showed wear it was a badge of honor. Even the old worn stair tread at the store was cool.

I have worn out a couple CPO jackets. Remember them? (Course, one or two were hand me downs.) Wool chamois shirt type thing. Even a chamois shirt was once a thing of beauty.

They got too big.

Superman
2011-07-27, 14:57
Once was if you had something from LL that showed wear it was a badge of honor. Even the old worn stair tread at the store was cool.

I have worn out a couple CPO jackets. Remember them? (Course, one or two were hand me downs.) Wool chamois shirt type thing. Even a chamois shirt was once a thing of beauty.

They got too big.

Yes, I agree with all you say. They were good products attached to good memories. :beer:

Amigi
2011-07-28, 04:44
There are some morons on that thread.

Crikey
2011-07-28, 08:55
There are some morons on that thread.

Yeah but Monkeyboy is not one of them. His post is F'ing hilarious.