PDA

View Full Version : Help with repair

-SEEKER-
2011-08-15, 17:42
I have several tiny "holes" at the base of my monte-bell Down Hugger Super Stretch sleeping bag. The location of the holes makes no sense since they are not in an area that comes in contact with any surface while in use. Anyway, I contacted the manufacturer about repair and their cheapest suggestion was to buy their universal repair kit for $10.95 plus $5+ shipping. I know I shouldn't be so cheap since I paid a lot for the bag, but I hate to pay shipping that is 1/2 the price of the product.
Has anyone had a similar repair situation? What do you think about trying to find a similar type of repair kit at some place like JoAnn Fabrics?

Hog On Ice
2011-08-15, 18:29
if the holes are small enough just use a dot of seam grip to seal them

Skidsteer
2011-08-15, 19:15

+1...

Kanga
2011-08-15, 19:25
i use a tiny piece of scotch tape on my down stuff. works like a charm. i have a piece on the bottom hem of my montbell ul down jacket that's been there for 3 years.

MonkeyBoy
2011-08-16, 00:30

+2..........

Cuffs
2011-08-16, 00:31
= 3.

Tin Man
2011-08-16, 03:52
If'n I even notice the hole (or can be bothered), I use liberal amounts of duct tape. If'n the hole is too big for duct tape (or I give a damn), I cut a piece of dry wall and tape and mud it in. If'n it is too big for that, I use a match and start over.

-SEEKER-
2011-08-16, 14:49
Thanks all. I didn't want to just tape them because I figured taking it in and out of the stuff sack will just tear the tape off. I was also afraid of putting something on it that would just melt the nylon.

GGS
2011-08-16, 15:21
If'n I even notice the hole (or can be bothered), I use liberal amounts of duct tape. If'n the hole is too big for duct tape (or I give a damn), I cut a piece of dry wall and tape and mud it in. If'n it is too big for that, I use a match and start over.

If you're an ultralight backpacker be sure to use that new lightweight drywall for patching

Tin Man
2011-08-16, 15:30
If you're an ultralight backpacker be sure to use that new lightweight drywall for patching

surely, you jest...

http://www.inflexwetrust.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/IFWTgiantbackpack.jpg

GGS
2011-08-16, 16:26
Thanks all. I didn't want to just tape them because I figured taking it in and out of the stuff sack will just tear the tape off. I was also afraid of putting something on it that would just melt the nylon.

Being serious now... I would think a $15 repair kit would be well worth it if it's a quality bag. You know, the whole stich-in-time-saves-nine thing.

GGS
2011-08-16, 16:29
surely, you jest...

http://www.inflexwetrust.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/IFWTgiantbackpack.jpg

Looks like my first backpacking attempt! As I recall, I managed to lumber about 100 yards from the car with that load before setting up first camp.

Tin Man
2011-08-16, 16:47
Looks like my first backpacking attempt! As I recall, I managed to lumber about 100 yards from the car with that load before setting up first camp.

I carried about 55 lbs for 5 days over 50 miles on my first AT trip. Jumped on that other site (and a couple of review sites) when I got home and did a deep dive into my wallet to replace everything... shed 23 lbs from that move.

-SEEKER-
2011-08-16, 17:05
Being serious now... I would think a $15 repair kit would be well worth it if it's a quality bag. You know, the whole stich-in-time-saves-nine thing.

I know. It's just the $5.99 shipping for a $10.95 product that bugs me. Especially if I can get something comparable locally.

MonkeyBoy
2011-08-16, 17:08
Seam sealer will cost next to nothing........no shipping because you get it local.

If it is a slightly larger hole, but a few stitches in it with thread and then seam seal it.

works for backpacks as well.

-SEEKER-
2011-08-16, 17:19
This year was a crappy gear year for me. After 12 days my Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Mummy Pad that I just bought before this years section hike started leaking. I talked to the Warranty Dept and they said they would send ahead a replacement to Glencliff. When I got there I found out they had mailed it to themselves! I shipped it back to them the middle of July when I came home and I still don't have a replacement.
Every year I buy a new pair of hiking boots to start out fresh with and this year they started falling apart after less than 300 miles. Same brand and style as always.
Then the sleeping bag that only has a little over 4 months of use.
Of course all of it was made in China. Expensive stuff but not the quality things used to be.

MonkeyBoy
2011-08-16, 17:27
This year was a crappy gear year for me. After 12 days my Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Mummy Pad that I just bought before this years section hike started leaking. I talked to the Warranty Dept and they said they would send ahead a replacement to Glencliff. When I got there I found out they had mailed it to themselves! I shipped it back to them the middle of July when I came home and I still don't have a replacement.
Every year I buy a new pair of hiking boots to start out fresh with and this year they started falling apart after less than 300 miles. Same brand and style as always.
Then the sleeping bag that only has a little over 4 months of use.
Of course all of it was made in China. Expensive stuff but not the quality things used to be.

That's why I don't pay for name brand stuff.

Big price for items made by the same Indian 9 year old.

Weary
2011-08-16, 17:52
It's not Scotch, just a big roll of plastic tape I bought at LL Beans decades ago. Anyway 30 years ago I bought a down jacket that a Bean's employee had sliced a one inch hole in. I used the tape to cover the hole. The tape has withstood several washings, a thru hike, and a dozen winter hikes to Katahdin's tableland.

I'd get the toughest plastic tape you can find and just tape over the holes.

Cuffs
2011-08-16, 17:58
Is it Irish then?

Hog On Ice
2011-08-16, 18:47
ahhhh Jamesons

cool breeze
2011-08-16, 20:01
Just a wee bit.

Skidsteer
2011-08-16, 20:27
Dram. Wee dram.

cool breeze
2011-08-16, 20:45
I'm about three drams or wee bits in. Dont fucking matter give me the bottle.

rcli4
2011-08-16, 20:50
CB are you going north this weekend?

Skidsteer
2011-08-16, 20:53

I like the way you think. Get both your asses up here.

cool breeze
2011-08-17, 06:59

I wish I was. Not going to make it.

Nearly Normal
2011-08-17, 20:20
I wish I was. Not going to make it.

You catching any fish?

cool breeze
2011-08-17, 20:32
Trout, slot reds, flounder.Shrimp are in the river lots of um big too. Heard the snook are running south of here.

Nearly Normal
2011-08-17, 20:58
Pompano is what I'd like to learn but they ain't plentiful here.
Beach renourshment ruined that...so they say... no mole crabs. They say all the timber in the surf ruins it also. I don't know much about it or them.
Damn fine eating fish.

cool breeze
2011-08-17, 21:01
We have pompies here but im not in to surf fishing here.

DesertReprobate
2011-08-17, 21:44
It sounds like we have to have a hobo convention in Fla if we want to see Cool Breeze

Nearly Normal
2011-08-17, 21:47
I am... but only because I have a place to go where I don't have to see, hear or deal with anyone. Most people suck and they have some sort of communication shit suck in their ear when it's least needed or wanted.
Dolphins and birds don't expect a damn thing except for you to mind your own fuckin bizness.
I don't care much if I catch a fish, but I love the creeks, rivers and islands and I like the tides and what they do.
The quiet places work for me...where the turtles lay their eggs.
A cast net and a decent reel and rod is enough.
A kiss from my bride and a cold beer is all I want when I get home.
....and that smile when my wife sees me...makes the earth spin.

Rosaleen
2011-08-19, 13:30
Head for the fabric section of WalMart, repair/small parts section of a camping outfitter, or any fabric store's notions. Look for a pressure-sensitive repair tape. K-Tape, IIRC, is one. Sometimes I find colors, sometimes clear. I've had sleeping bag patches stay in place for 20 years.

Rosaleen