PDA

View Full Version : Hiker thread

Tin Man
2011-10-02, 21:00
We are looking for hikers. Do you know any?

woodsy
2011-10-02, 21:02
I think i saw one once, they kinda goofy looking ? Carry a lot of shit on their backs ?
Usually smell kinda rank ?

SGT Rock
2011-10-02, 21:03
I've tried to recruit a few.

Tin Man
2011-10-02, 21:07
I saw two in Kent this summer. They ran and hid when they saw me coming.

sheepdog
2011-10-02, 21:16
hiking can make you late for supper

MonkeyBoy
2011-10-02, 21:27
I like hikers.

Taste like chicken.

Sarcasm The Elf
2011-10-02, 21:28
I saw two in Kent this summer. They ran and hid when they saw me coming.

They must have known and been afraid of Kent's reputation, then again I've never had any problems there myself.

Sometimes I mistake myself for a hiker, but then I look down and see the keyboard in front of me :bike:

sheepdog
2011-10-02, 21:31
They must have known and been afraid of Kent's reputation, then again I've never had any problems there myself.

Sometimes I mistake myself for a hiker, but then I look down and see the keyboard in front of me :bike:

I hate it when that happens:argh:

Two Speed
2011-10-02, 21:33
I like hikers.

Taste like chicken.Yeah, but they're a PITA to clean.

Kanga
2011-10-02, 21:34
i'm not real sure you could ever really get a hiker truly clean.

MonkeyBoy
2011-10-02, 21:35
Yeah, but they're a PITA to clean.

That's why I get 'em when they're coming up out of a river crossing...

Tin Man
2011-10-02, 21:47

kent is a great town... when the hikers ain't smelling up the place...

Hog On Ice
2011-10-02, 21:49
its a great town so long as one is a rich touron

Tin Man
2011-10-02, 21:58

nah. you are just doing it wrong...

Sarcasm The Elf
2011-10-02, 21:59

Not really a touron area. Litchfield county where Kent's located is more like a wooded hospice for rich Manhattanites. The local's are pretty cool though, if not sometimes standoffish at first.

[Insert smiley here to avoid taking me to seriously]

Hog On Ice
2011-10-02, 22:12
Not really a touron area. Litchfield county where Kent's located is more like a wooded hospice for rich Manhattanites. The local's are pretty cool though, if not sometimes standoffish at first.

[Insert smiley here to avoid taking me to seriously]

:bootyshak

here is such a descriptive term that I can only assume as to where one is pointing

Crikey
2011-10-02, 22:35
Iran just let two go.

Sarcasm The Elf
2011-10-02, 22:38
Iran just let two go.

Yeah, but they couldn't possibly still have their hiker legs.

Tin Man
2011-10-02, 23:03
Yeah, but they couldn't possibly still have their hiker legs.

Hahahahaha

Wise Old Owl
2011-10-03, 03:25
I think i saw one once, they kinda goofy looking ? Carry a lot of shit on their backs ?
Usually smell kinda rank ?

Oh crap I thought that was the dog!.... wet, nasty fowl smell with the owner.... then she came down the trail and removed all the doubt......

You know I am kidding.

Two Speed
2011-10-03, 07:49
i'm not real sure you could ever really get a hiker truly clean.Napalm, maybe?
That's why I get 'em when they're coming up out of a river crossing...You'll get giardia if you don't filter them after they've been in a river. Everyone knows that.

Hell, Backpacker magazine had an article about this last year.

Newb.

Weary
2011-10-04, 12:24
Hiking North

THE APPALACHIAN TRAIL, is a nearly 2,200-mile footpath that stretches from Georgia to Maine, bisecting most of the wildest country remaining in Eastern United States. The trail follows the bony backbone of the Appalachian Mountains, the eroded remains of peaks that once stood higher than Everest.

The trail is many things. It's 40,000 white blazes on trees, rocks and fence posts; and an estimated five million footsteps. It's spectacular mountain vistas, wild forests, and great beds of wildflowers -- trillium, delicate mountain bluets, wild iris, pink lady slippers, trail side mayflowers, startling blaze orange azaleas, and brilliantly white flowering dogwood.

The trail is walks through national parks and forests; walks past hill farms and woodlots, and occasionally down main streets of quiet mountain towns.

The trail is brisk cold days of early spring, March snows, chilly April rains, the heat of summer and the beauty of a New England autumn. It's walks above clouds, through clouds -- and occasionally into cloudbursts.

The trail is a giant black snake, imitating a rattler, rustling dry oak leaves as a hiker eases by; and its two bear cubs scurrying up twin saplings, while the old sow disappears into the brush -- then heard scuffling in the distance, circling to protect her babies.

The trail is the sound of a partridge seeking a mate, drumming the ground with its wings, sounding like a malfunctioning chainsaw to one puzzled hiker.
It's the cry of a pileated woodpecker, its red crest flashing through an ancient and decaying forest, the faint gobbles of a wild turkey on a brisk spring morn, and the slow circling of a hawk, seeking its supper. And it's a tiny, gray bird flying through the feet of a startled hiker from a trail side nest, filled with the mouths of hungry nestlings.

The trail is the hulks of four 60-year-old cars rusting away in an ancient farm pasture, now part of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park.

And it's an icy cooking pot one chilly spring morning in Georgia, and the yodeling of a coyote heard from a remote mountain shelter.

The trail is also 4,000 volunteers clearing blowdowns, brush and thistles while battling black flies and mosquitoes — and sometimes angry hornets — part of the greatest volunteer recreational project in history.

And it's four million day hikers, out for a summer's walk. Some two thousand thru-hikers, of which 200, maybe 300, will actually reach the trail's end on Katahdin.

The trail each year attracts a community of people: a few thousand with a dream of walking through these wilds for months on end from a wooded mountain in Georgia, north through spring, summer and early fall, to a barren and often icy summit in Maine; many more just out for a day, a weekend or a week of respite from civilization.

The trail is hikers enjoying the beauties of nature, and sharing concerns, blisters, adventures, sore toes, sprained knees, and the wonders of a wild country. It's two 20-year-olds jogging to catch Solo Sal, a 62-year-old retired school teacher who had left her tent poles behind.

It's an 80-year-old-retired grocer in North Carolina offering a hiker from Maine "a ride to the top of the hill." Some hike alone, others with friends, lovers, relatives -- or strangers met a few moments, or a few days earlier on the trail. All share a common experience, a common adventure. All join in each others successes and tribulations, share meals when supplies run low, and lament the mishaps and illnesses. Trail registers are filled with words of encouragement for those left behind.

Like the hay mowers on Robert Frost's New England hill farms, those of us who hike these Appalachians, hike together, “whether together or apart.”

warraghiyagey
2011-10-04, 19:02
Hiking .... blah blah blah blah blah . . . apart."

got it.:beer:

Cuffs
2011-10-04, 19:03
You got more outta that than I did! :beer:

warraghiyagey
2011-10-04, 19:29
You got more outta that than I did! :beer:

It's my patient side showing. . .

woodsy
2011-10-04, 21:47

Heres one !!!!

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo188/HoochNC/Miscellaneous/P1000565.jpg

Crikey
2011-10-04, 23:19
Hey I know that guy. It's "The Thread".

Sarcasm The Elf
2011-10-04, 23:39
What ever happened to him anyway?

Tin Man
2011-10-04, 23:41
What ever happened to him anyway?

he finished his first thru. i think that pic is from his second thru attempt, but he had a pitcrew issue and quit.

Skidsteer
2011-10-04, 23:46
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo188/HoochNC/Miscellaneous/P1000565.jpg

That would make for a good caption contest.

Tin Man
2011-10-04, 23:48
That would make for a good caption contest.

stop laughing; i am sensitive to the sun; people's feelings, not so much

Skidsteer
2011-10-04, 23:53
stop laughing; i am sensitive to the sun; people's feelings, not so much

It's all good so long as you don't wear a green Nalgene as a codpiece.

Tin Man
2011-10-04, 23:56
It's all good so long as you don't wear a green Nalgene as a codpiece.

well, he seemed to be prepared for anything, not sure what the nalgeen was preparing him for... and don't want to know. :ahhhhh:

Big Mac
2011-10-05, 00:03
He completed his hike. He's a hiker.

(among other things)

Weary
2011-10-05, 11:09
Hiking .... blah blah blah blah blah . . . apart."
got it.:beer:
Sorry you found my reminisces of hiking "blah." But you're in good literary company. I once offered the piece to "Appalachia," AMC's twice a year journal. An editor said he was "underwhelmed." A few have seemed to like it, however, over the years.

The first version was written on a hillside outside of Erwin, TN, a few days after my 64th birthday on my 1993 walk north. It's evolved a bit since then, including a few days ago when I ran into it while searching for a document on my computer. :boring:

Lugnut
2011-10-05, 11:15
I want to go on record as "liking" it! :beer:

Nearly Normal
2011-10-05, 12:04
I can't help but agree.
It is shameful.

Rockhound
2011-10-05, 20:05
Saw a lot of people hiking in NY today.

Tin Man
2011-10-05, 20:07
Saw a lot of people hiking in NY today.

NY - Wall Street Hike? Or AT?

Rockhound
2011-10-05, 20:31
NY - Wall Street Hike? Or AT?

Actually I was just trolling but when I was in NY on the AT I saw two bucks together which I guess is very rare. It's hard to find gay deer.

Tin Man
2011-10-05, 20:50
Actually I was just trolling but when I was in NY on the AT I saw two bucks together which I guess is very rare. It's hard to find gay deer.

ok, cuz i was going to have to yell at you if you were hiking in ny and didn't shout out for the tin man :argh:

woodsy
2011-10-05, 20:55
Actually I was just trolling

No ! say it ain't so :aetsch:

Weary
2011-10-05, 21:01
I know SCORES of hikers and KNOW OF thousands. The challenge is not to know hikers, but to keep places that hikers prefer to remain attractive places to hike, and to create and protect additional attractive places for hiking.

The direction of society these days doesn't seem to have much to do with protecting hiking trails or expanding hiking opportunities. Hikers need to recognize that trails are not self-perpetuating. And new hiking opportunities won't miraculously appear by themselves.

Unless hikers do more than hike, good hiking opportunities will shrink.

sheepdog
2011-10-05, 21:22

bucks hang together until does go into heat. Then they beat the ever loving shit out of each other. Kinda like hc when politics is mentioned.

Superman
2011-10-05, 21:23
bucks hang together until does go into heat. Then they beat the ever loving shit out of each other. Kinda like hc when politics is mentioned.

Darn RH

sheepdog
2011-10-05, 21:24
Darn RH

just a trouble make :aetsch:

Superman
2011-10-05, 21:25
just a trouble make :aetsch:

Yes he is.:angel:

woodsy
2011-10-05, 21:27
Darn RH

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing011.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

sheepdog
2011-10-05, 21:28
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing011.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

I like that one:beer:

Superman
2011-10-05, 21:32
:viking:puke:

Tin Man
2011-10-05, 21:41
I know SCORES of hikers and KNOW OF thousands. The challenge is not to know hikers, but to keep places that hikers prefer to remain attractive places to hike, and to create and protect additional attractive places for hiking.

The direction of society these days doesn't seem to have much to do with protecting hiking trails or expanding hiking opportunities. Hikers need to recognize that trails are not self-perpetuating. And new hiking opportunities won't miraculously appear by themselves.

Unless hikers do more than hike, good hiking opportunities will shrink.

i ain't worried about hiking opportunities - so much is already protected. i am worried about future hikers. that is why i take our scouts hiking. most scouts never venture out of site of the scoutmasters car. i started ours hiking and they love it. damn shame more troops don't do the same.

Weary
2011-10-05, 22:14
i ain't worried about hiking opportunities - so much is already protected. i am worried about future hikers. that is why i take our scouts hiking. most scouts never venture out of site of the scoutmasters car. i started ours hiking and they love it. damn shame more troops don't do the same.
For those that live close to the AT, or a large Natiional park or forest that may be true. But neither are within a 300 mile round trip of where I live, and I suspect from within where most people live.

My small town, much to my surprise, over 60 years has gone from no protected lands with trails to 5,000 acres of protected lands with trails.

We are still alert to more protected lands, but our emphasis these days is on encouraging public use of these opportunities.