PDA

View Full Version : Sherril raised the thoughts of two released hikers....

Wise Old Owl
2011-10-03, 04:12
Well you would think this is all over ... but its not...

Yes three wonderful people decided to go back to their roots and see their parents homeland. if you will, and get a feel for what its like to live in that country.
Shane Bauer, Josh Fattal and Sarah Shourd traveled to Iraq (not now a war zone) as most of you have voiced and went hiking. They had no intention to get "next to the border" and were exploring a water fall. Yet Iran is just next door, Iran is the oldest empire in the world. And the border is heavily policed by military. Guess a guide and a gps would have helped here.

Recently Iran was visited by Micheal Moore who claimed the trip there was safe for Americans to visit prior to the capture while other documentary film makers such as Iranian Jafar Panahi were rotting in jail.

There now is some question that Josh and friends when grabbed were not in Iran, the packs were outside the border where they were dumped.

To be honest I would like to meet Josh, I guess there will be a book in the works. A few months ago when I decided to post an idea on another blog for folks to send letters and actually gave the addresses to decision makers to release these folks. many voiced an opinion that they deserved as college educated hikers to be there. Ouch....

They were clearly just hikers and that was a miss-placed sentiment.

Today the defending lawyer Masoud Shafii was stopped at the airport and passport was confiscated and you can guess where he bought a ticket too - and where he ended up..... jail..

I really am trying to leaving the politics out of this and I ask other posters to keep that out.... So please be civil, but I am interested in your thoughts...or discussion on the incident as while I have hiked in many places over the world - there are risks no matter what you do.

I am saying if you decided to go to another country - would you even dream that stuff like this could happen to you.... Lets face it - Hiking in Mexico might be hazardous to your health.

Kanga
2011-10-03, 09:18
a guide and gps may not have helped. they were missing something that eludes many people: common sense.

Superman
2011-10-03, 09:39
Iran understands that borders are important.

john gault
2011-10-03, 09:42
There now is some question that Josh and friends when grabbed were not in Iran, the packs were outside the border where they were dumped.
That was always a question, but in the end it doesn't really matter, because everyone (except naive idiots, i.e. these "hikers") knows that Iran will scoop up anyone they want near that border, especially Americans. It's just one of those things in which all you can say is, "Whatcha gonna do". Freakin' idiots ain't got my sympathy and never did.

Superman
2011-10-03, 09:46
That was always a question, but in the end it doesn't really matter, because everyone (except naive idiots, i.e. these "hikers") knows that Iran will scoop up anyone they want near that border, especially Americans. It's just one of those things in which all you can say is, "Whatcha gonna do". Freakin' idiots ain't got my sympathy and never did.

They could have easily been torchered and killed instead of being taken prisoner.

Lone Wolf
2011-10-03, 10:33
fuck 'em. seriously

Tin Man
2011-10-03, 10:38
fuck 'em. seriously

they were seriously dumb-ass enough to go hiking where they should know the risks are very real with very serious consequences. there are many other places in the world they could hike safely... and many more where they would need their heads examined to risk it. sadly, this probably will not be the last stupid american hikers that make poor choices.

rcli4
2011-10-03, 10:39
Don'tcha wish we protected our borders like that?

MonkeyBoy
2011-10-03, 10:41
Just for the mere fact that they were captured and not killed on the spot is proof that Iran was not interested in protecting borders, but interested in obtaining ransom.

They knew that the capture of Americans would bring money, and lots of it.

Tin Man
2011-10-03, 10:41

um, no. who would pick our crops?

Superman
2011-10-03, 10:53

Didn't you hear that the illegals are just the children we chose not to have. They are just doing the work that Americans won't do. They are all just hard working people who have only broken one law...by coming here. It's our own fault. I know this because the VT TV channel I watch keeps saying so.

rcli4
2011-10-03, 11:44
Didn't you hear that the illegals are just the children we chose not to have. They are just doing the work that Americans won't do. They are all just hard working people who have only broken one law...by coming here. It's our own fault. I know this because the VT TV channel I watch keeps saying so.

We had a politician that said that and someone said if they paid a decent wage Americans would do the jobs. He said research had been done and at the time it would have raised the price of tomatoes from 33 cents per lb. to 35 cents. He asked who would want to pay 35 cents when the Mexicans allowed us to pay 33. He wasn't elected but he sure was entertaining.

Clyde

Hikerhead
2011-10-03, 11:45

They're coming here but we sent a lot of good jobs down there.......let's all move to Mexico!!!

Superman
2011-10-03, 11:51
We had a politician that said that and someone said if they paid a decent wage Americans would do the jobs. He said research had been done and at the time it would have raised the price of tomatoes from 33 cents per lb. to 35 cents. He asked who would want to pay 35 cents when the Mexicans allowed us to pay 33. He wasn't elected but he sure was entertaining.

Clyde

Burlington, VT is a santuary city and the VT govenor's family is big in dairy farming. They recently fucked with two VT state troopers who were trying to be careful to up hold the law with care when they encountered an illegal as a passenger in a car they had cause to stop. It doesn't matter to us what they choose to do in their own state but they are exporting them to NH now.

Tin Man
2011-10-03, 11:52

Clyde

A couple of landscapers I know have given up hiring able-bodied, strong white males. They don't last more than two days.

MonkeyBoy
2011-10-03, 12:01

Clyde

And why would they pay a decent wage if someone will do it cheaper??

Start making it illegal to hire them, and start slapping some serious fines on the farmers who do hire them, and watch how quickly Americans would do the job for a decent rate.

Same thing with roofers, drywallers, hotel maids, etc........

Kanga
2011-10-03, 12:04
um, no. who would pick our crops?

prison workers.

Superman
2011-10-03, 12:05
A couple of landscapers I know have given up hiring able-bodied, strong white males. They don't last more than two days.

There has always been a legal provision for bringing in needed labor...farm and other wise. There is absolutely no need to have no restrictions and pass out benefits to one set of people while requiring strict legal imigration standards to everyone else.

rcli4
2011-10-03, 12:06

I'll tell ya one thing, they are damn fine hikers. Some I knew hiked here from Guatamala (sp). Mostly night hiking. They all cheated and yellow blazed when they could. No honor at all. They all applied for their chicken processing social security card just like they were purist.

Clyde

Tin Man
2011-10-03, 12:09
And why would they pay a decent wage if someone will do it cheaper??

Start making it illegal to hire them, and start slapping some serious fines on the farmers who do hire them, and watch how quickly Americans would do the job for a decent rate.

Same thing with roofers, drywallers, hotel maids, etc........

they could pay americans double minimum wage, few would last more than a couple of days...

rcli4
2011-10-03, 12:13
they could pay americans double minimum wage, few would last more than a couple of days...

Bullshit. I owned and operated a landscape company for 26 years in the Florida sun. I never hired an illegal. White boys worked out fine until folks started hiring illegals under the table. Them fellas sure like eggs....

Clyde

Tin Man
2011-10-03, 12:17
Bullshit. I owned and operated a landscape company for 26 years in the Florida sun. I never hired an illegal. White boys worked out fine until folks started hiring illegals under the table. Them fellas sure like eggs....

Clyde

well, maybe florida boys are different than ny, ct boys where my landscape company friends are located

rcli4
2011-10-03, 12:18
Fl boys are different then them darned lazy assed yankees. I will say the Mexicans I have seen working, do bust their ass.

Tin Man
2011-10-03, 12:27
Fl boys are different then them darned lazy assed yankees. I will say the Mexicans I have seen working, do bust their ass.

yep, yankees and hard labor don't mix well. we have hard working folks from all over south america busting ass doing work no one else will do... then someone figured they needed entertaining and they opened a brothel on the other side of town that catered to their needs. apparently, it was so busy the neighbors complained and got it shut down. no idea where they go for entertainment now.

anyway, it would be interesting to see what would happen if all the illegals were deported. we might see teens working for some cash again... nah, their mommies and daddies spoil them too much. i like my son's approach to mowing our yard - he gives more of it back to the woods every time he mows. :)

Lone Wolf
2011-10-03, 12:37

you lazy fuckin' southern crackers were too goddamn sorry to pick your own damn cotton back in the day

Kanga
2011-10-03, 12:47
that's awesome, wolf. blame something from 200 years ago on somebody that wasn't alive back then. what's up with all the meanness and hate?

Lone Wolf
2011-10-03, 12:49
that's awesome, wolf. blame something from 200 years ago on somebody that wasn't alive back then. what's up with all the meanness and hate?

lighten the fuck up. no meaness or hate at all. just fuckin' around. you need to get over weary. your panties are all wadded up

Tin Man
2011-10-03, 12:53
lighten the fuck up. no meaness or hate at all. just fuckin' around. you need to get over weary. your panties are all wadded up

try a smilie once in awhile. it ain't always apparent when you are fucking around. :aetsch:

Superman
2011-10-03, 12:54

Clyde

There it is right there. Same up north.

Lone Wolf
2011-10-03, 12:55
try a smilie once in awhile. it ain't always apparent when you are fucking around. :aetsch:

puke:

warraghiyagey
2011-10-03, 12:56
puke:

:congrats:

MonkeyBoy
2011-10-03, 12:59
you lazy fuckin' southern crackers were too goddamn sorry to pick your own damn cotton back in the day

Fooled you. We don't grow cotton in Florida.

Tin Man
2011-10-03, 13:02
There it is right there. Same up north.

that's cuz you shoot illegals on sight, right?

Tin Man
2011-10-03, 13:03
puke:

lol. there, that's better... fucker :bootyshak

Kanga
2011-10-03, 13:15

you're a hypocrite.:marchmell

Cuffs
2011-10-03, 14:33
Fooled you. We don't grow cotton in Florida.

I was gonna comment on the 'crackers' but as you and I both know, southerners and crackers are two different folks.

Spogatz
2011-10-03, 14:58
I would hate to see the forum become a new starting point for another war between the states.....It will be fought entirely on the AT

enviro
2011-10-03, 16:23
I would hate to see the forum become a new starting point for another war between the states.....It will be fought entirely on the AT

Are you referring to the war of Northern Aggression?

Tin Man
2011-10-03, 16:34

nah, we can just send the massholes south of the border and all ya'll can do with them as you please

MonkeyBoy
2011-10-03, 17:23
I was gonna comment on the 'crackers' but as you and I both know, southerners and crackers are two different folks.

Yepperdoodle

Superman
2011-10-03, 19:16

Who you calling a cracker.:angel:

MonkeyBoy
2011-10-03, 19:28
Me..........and I'm damn proud of it.

Kanga
2011-10-03, 19:30

you, my dear, are no cracker.

Cuffs
2011-10-03, 19:38
you, my dear, are no cracker.

Yes he is and I'll tell you all bout it on the road trip!

Lone Wolf
2011-10-03, 19:46
a "cracker" is the sound a cowboy's whip made when tryin ' to get cattle out of swamps in florida. ain't none of you florida boys crackers

Cuffs
2011-10-03, 19:50
While not a native, I've driven nuff cattle cross Florida to be considered cracker. Still have my rope and bull whip. Can't say thanks enuff to the Barthles (PRCA champs) for teachin me right.

Ray
2011-10-03, 19:55
Still have my rope and bull whip. So many possible ways to respond ... so, so many ... and all of them so, so wrong ...

Tin Man
2011-10-03, 20:58
So many possible ways to respond ... so, so many ... and all of them so, so wrong ...

well, she calls her man a yak :ahhhhh:

Wise Old Owl
2011-10-03, 21:12
Tin Man I have seen examples of that locally as well... Shame - its clearly a work ethic

MonkeyBoy
2011-10-03, 22:05
A Florida Cracker is one who's family has lived in Florida for generations. Originally termed for being cattle drivers because that was the main source of income for the state, but the term is now meant for long term residents. My family has lived for many a generation here. Some have been grapefruit and orange farmers, some dairy farmers, some sugar cane farmers.

We've lived in this state long before air conditioning, mosquito repellant and screen doors. Hell, I didn't have air conditioning until I moved away to college. And still to this day rarely ever use mosquito repellant.

So yes, Wolf............I am a cracker. And if you ask anyone who hasn't been transplanted and they will say the same.

Superman
2011-10-03, 22:27

I think "cracker" is just one of the things I've been called by people of color.:angel:

MonkeyBoy
2011-10-03, 22:37
Cracker and Florida Cracker are two different things, amigo.......

Florida Crackers are the ones who make fun of guys like you walking around in shorts in the wintertime in Florida.....

:)

MonkeyBoy
2011-10-03, 22:41
And as far as living in swamps........

My mother is from Pahokee. Just East of Lake Okeechobee, and just north of the Everglades.

Nothing but swamp and sugar cane.

Hometown of Mel Tillis.

So yeah......I'm a cracker.

Crikey
2011-10-03, 23:10
And as far as living in swamps........

My mother is from Pahokee. Just East of Lake Okeechobee, and just north of the Everglades.

Nothing but swamp and sugar cane.

Hometown of Mel Tillis.

So yeah......I'm a cracker.

I was in Mel Jr's cabin at summer camp when I was 10. His dad came to visit, I had no idea who he was. Nice guy. Jr. was a hoot.

No, I don't remember if he stuttered or not.

Spogatz
2011-10-03, 23:55
It's all about the odds....Don't do stupid shit!!!!

Weary
2011-10-04, 17:37
A cracker? I thought you were a Monkey. Are all Crackers Monkeys?

rcli4
2011-10-04, 18:13

Mostly, yes

MonkeyBoy
2011-10-04, 18:32
Exactly. Just don't confuse us with Crack Monkeys.

Lone Wolf
2011-10-04, 22:44

some monkeys like curious george are presidents

Wise Old Owl
2011-10-04, 23:56

Cracker and Florida Cracker are two different things, amigo.......

Florida Crackers are the ones who make fun of guys like you walking around in shorts in the wintertime in Florida.....

:)

So many ways to offend others.... a water biscuit.

So does B.C. = Before Cracker?

rcli4
2011-10-04, 23:59

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt318/rcli4/300901_158746990883450_111781785579971_308463_6050 46030_n.jpg

MonkeyBoy
2011-10-05, 00:05

Nah.....I wasn't trying to offend Superman.

It was an inside joke about when he came to Florida in the winter.

All the natives were walking around with long sleeves and pants.

He was wearing shorts and a tropical shirt.

Wise Old Owl
2011-10-05, 00:10
rcli4 although I am sure we on the same page - I drive into Phils hells kitchen a few times a week to kill bed bugs to help the brothers as best as I can... I am more offended by what appears to be your avatar because IMO he failed

VS than being called a cracker vs a bugman.

I hike because I can-HYOH - that's my opinion-deal with it

Wise Old Owl
2011-10-05, 00:18
MB although I quoted you - I was posting in general - I drive around town trying to do right by others and I get some be-atch yelling "cracker what are YOU doing in MY neighborhood?"... I am thick skinned.... but I never forget.

I wasn't targeting anyone - I just find from my heart that the swerve is offensive ... some just don't get it,

MonkeyBoy
2011-10-05, 00:21
Well, just FYI.........we're called crackers a lot down here in FLA.....by other crackers.

Wise Old Owl
2011-10-05, 00:23
ouch so what do we call the retiree's behind the wheel when the break for no apparent reason?

Lone Wolf
2011-10-05, 00:24
rcli4 although I am sure we on the same page - I drive into Phils hells kitchen a few times a week to kill bed bugs to help the brothers as best as I can... I am more offended by what appears to be your avatar because IMO he failed-than being called a cracker vs a bugman.

WB although I quoted you - I was posting in general - I drive around town trying to do right by others and I get some be-atch yelling "cracker what are YOU doing in MY neighborhood?"... I am thick skinned.... but I never forget.

I wasn't targeting anyone - I just find from my heart that the swerve is offensive ... some just don't get it,

huh? what is offensive about clyde's avatar?

MonkeyBoy
2011-10-05, 00:24
ouch so what do we call the retiree's behind the wheel when the break for no apparent reason?

Q-tips

Wise Old Owl
2011-10-05, 00:26
The parade of vinegar douchebaggery

Cuffs
2011-10-05, 00:27
Cotton tops.

rcli4
2011-10-05, 00:32
rcli4 although I am sure we on the same page - I drive into Phils hells kitchen a few times a week to kill bed bugs to help the brothers as best as I can... I am more offended by what appears to be your avatar because IMO he failed-than being called a cracker vs a bugman.

I don't understand this

Wise Old Owl
2011-10-05, 00:35
huh? what is offensive about clyde's avatar?

COME ON Even you could have figured that out....

Lone Wolf
2011-10-05, 00:36
COME ON Even you could have figured that out....
uh, no. seriously. clue me in. 3 red stripes and a curved arrow?

Wise Old Owl
2011-10-05, 00:38
Wait - just because there's a reverse arrow....it's clearly politics for re-election of O

am I wrong - ?

Lone Wolf
2011-10-05, 00:41
what the fuck are you babblin' about?

Wise Old Owl
2011-10-05, 00:48
last post here...http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/2012.jpg

Lone Wolf
2011-10-05, 01:02
http://www.cafepress.com/+2012_gone_bumper_sticker,395381862

Rockhound
2011-10-05, 09:16
Companies that hire illegals in AZ are slapped with a whopping $4000 fine. Simply put, If you can pay an illegal $4000 less than an American, taking into account that you do not have to pay for an illegal to have health insurance, workers comp etc....and can pay him a lot less than an American worker it benefits you to do so.
Instead of paying to capture, incarcerate, feed, clothe, house and deport illegals again and again and again and again perhaps we should remove the incentive for illegals to cross the border in the first place. Make it impossible for illegals to obtain work, food stamps, govt. housing, drivers licences .....and you would be amazed at how quickly this problem goes away. Of course there are still the Mexican cartels. The answer to that is legalizing pot.

Superman
2011-10-05, 09:26
Companies that hire illegals in AZ are slapped with a whopping $4000 fine. Simply put, If you can pay an illegal $4000 less than an American, taking into account that you do not have to pay for an illegal to have health insurance, workers comp etc....and can pay him a lot less than an American worker it benefits you to do so.
Instead of paying to capture, incarcerate, feed, clothe, house and deport illegals again and again and again and again perhaps we should remove the incentive for illegals to cross the border in the first place. Make it impossible for illegals to obtain work, food stamps, govt. housing, drivers licences .....and you would be amazed at how quickly this problem goes away. Of course there are still the Mexican cartels. The answer to that is legalizing pot.

I agree to both and I don't use pot. Pot would open a new tax stream of revenue.

MonkeyBoy
2011-10-05, 09:29
Add to that a National Sales Tax so that illegals pay taxes regardless, and I'll agree with you.

Superman
2011-10-05, 09:34
Add to that a National Sales Tax so that illegals pay taxes regardless, and I'll agree with you.

oh...absolutely

dixicritter
2011-10-05, 11:41
Exactly what does this have to do with the hikers?

MonkeyBoy
2011-10-05, 12:07
Got me......I was chasing a squirrel.

rcli4
2011-10-05, 14:58

Bless his heart

Superman
2011-10-05, 16:29
Bless his heart

Dam Rockhound!:beer:

warraghiyagey
2011-10-05, 21:47
Exactly what does this have to do with the hikers?

It's a long walk from central Mexico to Phoenix. . . :angel:

dixicritter
2011-10-05, 22:43
It's a long walk from central Mexico to Phoenix. . . :angel:

Very true...LOL:aetsch:

MonkeyBoy
2011-10-05, 22:48
And there is one hell of a river crossing.....

Skidsteer
2011-10-05, 22:54
And there is one hell of a river crossing.....

Yeah in some places you actually get wet feet.

Tin Man
2011-10-05, 22:57
Yeah in some places you actually get wet feet.

i thought it was their backs that got wet... or i am thinking of something else?

Wise Old Owl
2011-10-05, 23:01
Monkeys don't chase squirrels - not even at the zoo.

Skidsteer
2011-10-05, 23:03
i thought it was their backs that got wet... or i am thinking of something else?

I've actually waded in the Rio Grande. It should be re-named the Rio poquito.

Tin Man
2011-10-05, 23:06

then how do you explain the squirrel monkey ??

http://images.paraorkut.com/img/funnypics/images/y/yoda_noob-12275.jpg

Wise Old Owl
2011-10-05, 23:08
Monkeys catch and kill squirrels

Click (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXD2Q8BlpYM)

MonkeyBoy
2011-10-05, 23:09

Sure we do.........we just make sure we have plenty of duct tape on hand.

Tin Man
2011-10-05, 23:14

lol... post then verify?

Wise Old Owl
2011-10-05, 23:32
Well Tin Man - Lets just say nothing gets past you.

saimyoji
2011-10-06, 00:46

DUDE...WTF...you get off on that shit?....you're a sick fuck.

Wise Old Owl
2011-10-06, 01:43
Wow saimyoji no I don't - well we are off to a good start...I did post and then verify... I guessed there would be a utube, who would of thought?

However - Utube squirrel catapult....

and by the way my job is catching squirrels in corporate buildings and relocating them to the park -its called pest control - so this sick fuck is making money -

selling 15k+ of pest control a month....

Yea that my idea of a good work ethic.

mudhead
2011-10-06, 10:00
I've actually waded in the Rio Grande. It should be re-named the Rio poquito.

Bet you looked at the banks and wondered tho.

Two Speed
2011-10-06, 22:11
DUDE...WTF...you get off on that shit?....you're a sick fuck.Owwwch!!!

Wise Old Owl
2011-10-07, 20:53
Let it go Two Speed - Man you are all right - thanks...

Saimyoga has done this before two and a half years ago with a similar post. His is well liked by his friends and has been here a long time... So it's nothing. Some folk are just quick and judgmental. If he wants an olive branch - lets be fair.

Let's just step up and move on... and be outstanding.

Move on...

Kanga
2011-10-07, 22:03
Hello? It's a joke?

Wise Old Owl
2011-10-07, 22:07
..............I hope so. on his part.

Tin Man
2011-10-07, 22:27
..............I hope so. on his part.

http://surfwithberserk.com/img/funny/epic_fails/54.jpg

Bearpaw
2011-10-08, 10:20
DUDE...WTF...you get off on that shit?....you're a sick fuck.

Hello? It's a joke?

It's like a black Asian midget calling a kettle a pothead. :bike:

Or something... :hmmmm:

Wise Old Owl
2011-10-08, 12:01
Huh?

Superman
2011-10-08, 12:16
Huh?

Egggsakly

Crikey
2011-10-08, 18:43
Egggsakly

Eggs?

I like eggs.

Superman
2011-10-08, 18:45
Eggs?

I like eggs.

pre-sizely:angel:

john pickett
2011-10-09, 17:49
How do you measure the inseam on an egg?

Lugnut
2011-10-09, 17:56

You have to wait till it hatches. :albertein

saimyoji
2011-10-09, 20:17
and by the way my job is catching squirrels in corporate buildings and relocating them to the park -its called pest control - so this sick fuck is making money -

all you need now is a sponsor from ducktape....

congratulations squirrel fucker....

MonkeyBoy
2011-10-09, 21:53
That was cold........

Hog On Ice
2011-10-09, 22:18
That was cold........

duct taped squirrels have to be warmer than ... ahhh ... what's that thing women complain about ... google to the rescue ... a speculum

warraghiyagey
2011-10-10, 19:24
It's like a black Asian midget calling a kettle a pothead. :bike:

Or something... :hmmmm:

Now that's funny. . . :beer:

sheepdog
2011-10-10, 20:00
Huh?

It's harder to figure out than Chinese arithmetic. :albertein

Wise Old Owl
2011-10-10, 20:46
Saimshit - U know it hurts when hot coffee spurts from your nose.....

CAUTION - NO ZOMBIES OR POTHEADS WERE OFFENDED BY THIS MESSAGE.... VOTE FOR LEGALIZATION of ZOMBIES.

Wise Old Owl
2011-10-20, 20:50
They are not eggs - its called "William and the boys"

I worked two years at Men's Wearhouse" rarely had to measure a inseam..

Life is Good.

Damn good pay,

warraghiyagey
2011-10-20, 22:10

It's as easy as measurement conversions for a metric crescent wrench...

Bearpaw
2011-10-21, 00:22

It's as easy as measurement conversions for a metric crescent wrench...

Sheepdog is thinking of Viagra. Making old wangs hard as Chinese arithmetic.