PDA

View Full Version : Knees

chumpchange
2011-10-06, 23:26
first of all, i've yet to make a trip but i'm planning on it.

my biggest concern at the moment is my knees which have mild arthritis, so after walking/hiking for a couple of miles up and down they definitely start talking to me.

i'm hoping that wearing some sort of support like bands or wraps will allow me to go a lot further without paying for it...

i'm assuming trekking poles will also be a huge benefit.

any one else with crappy knees?

oh btw, howdy!!

warraghiyagey
2011-10-06, 23:37
Glucosamine - start taking it 3 weeks before you start hiking, continue until you are done hiking. . . .
Guaranteed!!

And for sure hiking poles or sticks are great shock absorbers especially downhill.

And whatever knee wrap you're most comfortable with.
Have a great hike. . .

Oh, and did I mention Glucosamine?:beer::beer::beer:

Kanga
2011-10-06, 23:46
I've had arthritis for for over 15 years. Knees, hips, and shoulders. Some days are better than others. Honestly I haven't found anything that truly works. Glucosamine doesn't seem to help me. After this many years, I just do my best to ignore it. My friends with knee problems say they wouldn't hike without poles but I don't use them because I end up stabbing myself when I fall.

MonkeyBoy
2011-10-07, 00:06
Start with a knee brace BEFORE it starts hurting.

Bring plenty of Motrin.

Ben Gay is your friend.

Lighten your pack as much as possible. When you've lightened your pack.....lighten it some more.

Don't push it. If it begins to flare up, sit down for a few and take your pack off. It ain't a race.

chumpchange
2011-10-07, 00:52
this here glucosamine, is it non-prescrip? i need to get on that!

monkeyboy, i like the way you think i should think.

Hog On Ice
2011-10-07, 08:24
yes - glucosamine sulfate is OTC (non-prescrip) Walmart carries it - I use 2000 mg/day and it seems to help me with my knees and other parts - btw three weeks may not be long enough - took about six weeks to really be noticeable for me

the other thing that helped me was just building up the muscles in my legs - especially the quads - after about six months of day hikes I found that my knees had stopped giving me pain due to the stronger muscles and glucosamine

MonkeyBoy
2011-10-07, 09:26
Yeah. They even have glucosamine mixed with fruit juices, so that you can just drink the stuff in the morning with your breakfast.

My only problem with glucosamine is that with all the intestinal issues that I have, it makes me get the runs. Can't stomach the stuff.

Heard a few people like it, but I can't tolerate it. But as Wharrgy said, it has to be taken for weeks ahead of time, all during your trip, and a few weeks after.

Building up the leg muscles is also a benefit. Thanks, HOI.....forgot about the actual "exercise" stuff.......

Do a lot of exercises that concentrate on bending the leg. IE - Stairs, Stair-Stepper, heck, even just an old milk crate in your living room. Just make sure you mix up your routine. Don't always step up with your right leg, followed by your left. Switch it up.

Which brings me to another point about on the trail. Don't always step up with your dominant leg. If you do, the knee joint of that leg will start to hurt. Then you start favoring it, so then your non-dominant leg starts to hurt.

I always try to step up with whatever leg is going up at that time. In other words, don't break your stride. Step with whatever leg was going to take the next step. I see a lot of people, when faced with a large step up or down, that will stop and then tackle the obstacle with their dominant leg. Don't do that. You are constantly putting the most stress on that leg.

warraghiyagey
2011-10-07, 09:41
. . . aaaand stretching. . . the more you stretch the better. . . .

Hog On Ice
2011-10-07, 11:48
one point about stepping down - do what I call a back step to step down when its a significant step - to explain what I mean well would require a video but anyways when coming to a step put the lead foot down parallel with the edge of the top of the step then place the foot that is going down the step in back of (like a 12-15 inches) the top foot and down the step - this approach is a much more controlled step and IMO saves the knees from excessive stress

chumpchange
2011-10-07, 12:02
i'll have to pick some up and get going on it. hopefully i won't need diapers.

i'm fortunate in that there are a couple of different grunt trails within 5-10 mins driving from my house. i've been working them for the excercise and leg strength. and i agree that building up the muscles around the knees is a must. also trying to drop some pounds and ounces of body weight. right now i'm at 200lb but i'd love to get it down to 195'ish.

right now i'm using an old school walking stick(approx. 60") and the technique i have for down hill is to swing it like a pendulum and let it grab at the far end of the downward swing while never really interrupting my stride. probably 3-4 steps within a swing. it seems to help a lot at least 'til i get some poles.

thanks for the solid info!!

MonkeyBoy
2011-10-07, 14:35
i'll have to pick some up and get going on it. hopefully i won't need diapers.

i'm fortunate in that there are a couple of different grunt trails within 5-10 mins driving from my house. i've been working them for the excercise and leg strength. and i agree that building up the muscles around the knees is a must. also trying to drop some pounds and ounces of body weight. right now i'm at 200lb but i'd love to get it down to 195'ish.

right now i'm using an old school walking stick(approx. 60") and the technique i have for down hill is to swing it like a pendulum and let it grab at the far end of the downward swing while never really interrupting my stride. probably 3-4 steps within a swing. it seems to help a lot at least 'til i get some poles.

thanks for the solid info!!

Nothing wrong with a hiking stick. That's all I use.

Superman
2011-10-07, 14:37
Nothing wrong with a hiking stick. That's all I use.

I use two.

MonkeyBoy
2011-10-07, 15:02
I use two.

You should probably look into one of these.......

http://www.meijer.com/assets/product_images/styles/xlarge/1002279_MDS864104H_A_400.jpg

They even have an option to add four tennis balls to the bottom....

Superman
2011-10-07, 15:07
You should probably look into one of these.......

http://www.meijer.com/assets/product_images/styles/xlarge/1002279_MDS864104H_A_400.jpg

They even have an option to add four tennis balls to the bottom....

I was hoping for the kind with the hand brakes to slow myself down on the down hills.

chumpchange
2011-10-07, 15:09
i could donate some tennis balls.

EDIT: didn't see MB's statement...

Ray
2011-10-07, 21:19
I was hoping for the kind with the hand brakes to slow myself down on the down hills.Mine has wheels in front. Private medical insurance, IYKWIM. Just have to put the back legs down to stop it. Worked really well.

I put a lot of miles on mine February and March. It's out on the porch now getting ready to go to Goodwill tomorrow.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/180966_1805321702030_1509524757_1923177_6663526_n. jpg

Superman
2011-10-07, 21:22
Mine has wheels in front. Private medical insurance, IYKWIM. Just have to put the back legs down to stop it. Worked really well.

I put a lot of miles on mine February and March. It's out on the porch now getting ready to go to Goodwill tomorrow.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/180966_1805321702030_1509524757_1923177_6663526_n. jpg

You reckon that thing will last for a thru hike?

Ray
2011-10-07, 21:24
You reckon that thing will last for a thru hike?I'd upgrade the wheels.

Superman
2011-10-07, 22:05
I'd upgrade the wheels.

Yeah, I should get those meaty off road tires. If I got a good size dog, like a german shepherd, to pull me up the hills.:beer:

Wise Old Owl
2011-10-07, 22:14
i could donate some tennis balls.

EDIT: didn't see MB's statement...

Donate William and the boys? that's called neutering! OOOOOOUCH!

Crikey
2011-10-07, 22:50
The best thing I ever did for my knees was lose 50 lbs.

MonkeyBoy
2011-10-07, 23:06
The best thing I've ever done for my knees is make my son carry all the heavy stuff....

chumpchange
2011-10-08, 11:13
Donate William and the boys? that's called neutering! OOOOOOUCH!

lol, nah, i'm keeping my fuzzies.

Skidsteer
2011-10-09, 19:01
The best thing I've ever done for my knees is make my son carry all the heavy stuff....

I used that strategy this weekend. It freakin' rocks.

Superman
2011-10-09, 19:43

What do you threaten them with when they're in their 30s? Especially when some a hole told them that everyone carries his own pack. What was I thinking?:argh:

Skidsteer
2011-10-09, 19:55
What do you threaten them with when they're in their 30s? Especially when some a hole told them that everyone carries his own pack. What was I thinking?:argh:

Good question.

Personally, I don't expect this method to be effective much longer so I'm making the most of it while I can.

Somewhere around the mid-twenties children begin to stop thinking they're smarter than us and begin to realize just how treacherous and devious old people are.

At that point I intend to play the sympathy card and the guilt card as needed until he finally gives up and carries my shit just to shut me up. That and I'll babysit his kids whenever he wants me to. I remember my parents used that technique on me to great advantage.

Superman
2011-10-09, 20:06
Good question.

Personally, I don't expect this method to be effective much longer so I'm making the most of it while I can.

Somewhere around the mid-twenties children begin to stop thinking they're smarter than us and begin to realize just how treacherous and devious old people are.

At that point I intend to play the sympathy card and the guilt card as needed until he finally gives up and carries my shit just to shut me up. That and I'll babysit his kids whenever he wants me to. I remember my parents used that technique on me to great advantage.

I don't live close enough for that baby sitting thing. My sons have know since they were about 10 years old that they are smarter than me. Sympathy...I'll try that.:beer:

MonkeyBoy
2011-10-09, 21:51

I'm telling you!!!!

Superman
2011-10-09, 21:55
I keep telling my sons that the beatings will continue until they comply but they seem to be hard headed. They must have gotten that from my ex.:hammock:

chumpchange
2011-10-09, 22:01
well it looks like dollar general is the place to buy the GC.

triple strength w/ msm, bottle of 60 - $8

CVS same thing, bottle of 120 - $40 unless you have a bonus card then its 2 for 1...

Hog On Ice
2011-10-09, 22:14
hummm - never thought to look for glucosamine at the DG - I'll have to check the local store to see if its any cheaper than wally world

Gaiter
2011-10-09, 23:31
be sure to get something with both glucosamine and chondroitin, not just glucosamine, which should be fairly easy to find, but the two work together improving each other better than they are seperate...

MonkeyBoy
2011-10-10, 00:05
....like peanut butter and jelly.

chumpchange
2011-10-10, 00:33
captain and tennille.

Ray
2011-10-10, 06:15
Y'all aren't still using those old fashioned cartilage and bone joints, are you?

rhjanes
2011-10-10, 10:18
glucosimine/chondrotin. Any pharmacy should have it, GNC etc. it works for some, maybe a lot of people. It didn't see to do much for me. But it's worth a try for you. Try it early on and see what happens. I think it takes about 2 weeks for any benefit at all. After 4, if it hasn't helped, well, it probably won't. Then look for another aid.

mudhead
2011-10-10, 17:46
Y'all aren't still using those old fashioned cartilage and bone joints, are you?

Not everyone can be an early adopter.

Gluco/Chondro can be had considerably cheaper from Sam's Last I checked.

Like half or 1/3 of Walmart pricing/day.

Cuffs
2011-10-10, 17:59
My doc told me glucosamine sulfate was better for the joints (more readily used by the body) than chondroitin.

Hog On Ice
2011-10-10, 18:50
I use the sulfate form also but my doc also recommended the MSM

I have questions about the chondroitin effectiveness and as a result don't take it.

chumpchange
2011-10-10, 21:43
I use the sulfate form also but my doc also recommended the MSM

I have questions about the chondroitin effectiveness and as a result don't take it.

what are these questions?

its not gonna cause shrinkage, is it?

'cuz i might need some duct tape.

Hog On Ice
2011-10-11, 01:19
well there are some indications that chondroitin can have a negative effect on one's prostate health - a bit of a concern at my age

mostly though testing seems to indicate that there is little benefit to chondroitin - for an example of the discussion consider http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/glucosamine.html

or for that matter the quote from http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-744-Chondroitin%20%28CHONDROITIN%20SULFATE%29.aspx?act iveIngredientId=744&activeIngredientName=Chondroitin%20%28CHONDROITIN% 20SULFATE%29
"Now, scientists believe that, overall, chondroitin sulfate may reduce arthritis pain slightly." In other words not worth the price when acetaminophen etc. is more effective.

Superman
2011-10-11, 05:02
well there are some indications that chondroitin can have a negative effect on one's prostate health - a bit of a concern at my age

mostly though testing seems to indicate that there is little benefit to chondroitin - for an example of the discussion consider http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/glucosamine.html

or for that matter the quote from http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-744-Chondroitin%20%28CHONDROITIN%20SULFATE%29.aspx?act iveIngredientId=744&activeIngredientName=Chondroitin%20%28CHONDROITIN% 20SULFATE%29
"Now, scientists believe that, overall, chondroitin sulfate may reduce arthritis pain slightly." In other words not worth the price when acetaminophen etc. is more effective.

Oh Crap....another health concern to think about. Life was better when I could eat a steak with a baked potato heaped with sour cream and leave the veggies on the plate. Then relax with a cigarette and a whiskey. I didnít take any pills and I could go out and run a marathon. Now I eat right, take pills and Iím falling apart. On top of all that now I find out the chondroitin Iíve been taking for 11 years is going to make my prostate fall off. :argh:

sheepdog
2011-10-11, 06:02
Oh Crap....another health concern to think about. Life was better when I could eat a steak with a baked potato heaped with sour cream and leave the veggies on the plate. Then relax with a cigarette and a whiskey. I didnít take any pills and I could go out and run a marathon. Now I eat right, take pills and Iím falling apart. On top of all that now I find out the chondroitin Iíve been taking for 11 years is going to make my prostate fall off. :argh:

It won't fall off

just turn to cement:bike:

Two Speed
2011-10-11, 07:30
Falling off might be better.

generoll
2011-10-11, 10:28
I have Neasles

mudhead
2011-10-11, 10:53
[QUOTE=Superman;259151Now I eat right, take pills and Iím falling apart.[/QUOTE]

The upside is that you made it beyond your warranty coverage.

Superman
2011-10-11, 13:03
The upside is that you made it beyond your warranty coverage.

Ouch but true. I kicked the warranties ass.:beer:

mudhead
2011-10-11, 13:30
Was less than thrilled when the opthamologist said I had the start of cataracts.

"Everyone gets them. Consider the alternative."

Still not thrilled, but she is correct.

Should have used sunglasses more, but water, bridge, under.

Hog On Ice
2011-10-11, 13:52
I've used polycarbonate lenses for many years (safety glasses from work) which block UV and when I started hiking I started using a broad rim hat - so far my eyes have no signs of cataracts after 60+ years

MonkeyBoy
2011-10-11, 14:23
I wear glasses...........alot............indoors and out..............everyday...........twice on Sundays.

:)

chumpchange
2011-10-11, 14:54
i should have named this the 'antique restoration' thread.

i recently had lasik performed on the right eye.

hearing is the worst issue i have.

Superman
2011-10-11, 15:29
I stopped by the vet Center the other day. There were a whole bunch of Vietnam vets there. They were all talking about their operations and medical conditions. I laughed because they sounded like a bunch of old women.....and I fit right in.:hammock:

Big Mac
2011-10-11, 16:10
i should have named this the 'antique restoration' thread.

i recently had lasik performed on the right eye.

hearing is the worst issue i have.

From the looks of your profile picture, hearing isn't your worst issue.

(yeah, yeah, I know, that's not really you . . . wink. . . wink. . .)

chumpchange
2011-10-11, 16:22
lol, it can only get better.

Superman
2011-10-11, 16:54
From the looks of your profile picture, hearing isn't your worst issue.

(yeah, yeah, I know, that's not really you . . . wink. . . wink. . .)

LOL, no one has a mullet any more. :angel:

chumpchange
2011-10-11, 17:01
kentucky waterfall.

Footslogger
2011-10-12, 11:38
be sure to get something with both glucosamine and chondroitin, not just glucosamine, which should be fairly easy to find, but the two work together improving each other better than they are seperate...

===========

Is there some new research on Chondroitin ? I realize they are often sold in combination but the original studies generally attributed symptom reduction to Glucosamine Sulphate.

'Slogger

dkperdue
2011-11-17, 19:28
Ortho Docs want to replace both my knees.
Both are bone on bone, and missing various pieces of catilage from 3 arthroscopic knee surgeies.
Lots of motrin, aspirin and choosing flatter routes is my solution.
Down hills are worse than uphills.
The hammock is easier than getting up and down from the ground sleeping.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention the fused L ankle sort of screws things up a lot as well.
2 plates and 11 screws.

Keep moving forward.

The trick to a long life to keep breathing longer than the other guys!
DKperdue

Law Dawg (ret)
2011-11-17, 19:48
Dang...should have popped for that extended warranty! :stickyman

There are stages to the knee joints turning into nothing but sand paper and gravel but they all fail eventually.

john pickett
2011-11-18, 03:04
I took Glucosamine-Chondroiten for a year or so after arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn miniscus in 2000. My knee stayed swollen and painful the whole time. My brother (a urologist) swears it was because I got back on my knee too soon. Maybe so; but the knee didn't feel right till some time after I stopped the G-C pills.
On another note, fish oil capsules and fatty fish like tuna, herring, and salmon have pretty strong anti-inflammatory properties. Canned salmon and tuna and sardines and herring (not the tuna or salmon in a pouch) also have a good amount of vitamen D and calcium. The combination is supposed to be good for building/repairing bone tissue.

Law Dawg (ret)
2011-11-18, 13:26
The progression of knee problems can be tracked by the different attempts to relieve the pain (see my avatar). Ibuprofin to Vioxx (oops) to Alleve was my chemical based path. Then it was "natural" stuff and subjectively glucosamine/chondroitin/msm seemed to help. If the glucosamine/chondroitin/msm is the path you choose to try do get it in suspension or disolve your pills in fruit juice as you will often just pass the hard caplets before they disolve. It can't hurt anything but your pocket book as far as I can tell and it just may not work for you either.

The dirty little secrets to extending your knee life is diet and exercise.

1-Lose weight...lose a BUNCH of weight. Try not to overload that pack or anything else that your knees/back must bear.

2-Find a good Physical Therapist and have them take a good look at the mechanics of your knees and feet in motion. Get them to recommend a group of exercises to correct it as much as you can. Then do the exercises like it is a religion for you. Warm up and warm down with stretching too...remember, no pain no sprain (don't over do it).

3-Money well spent is a set of inserts for your shoes and not those things they sell at the corner drug store but custom ones from a source that specializes in fitting them to your foot (your a snowflake not a one size fits most).

The sad truth is that entropy wins in the end and the best you can do is resist it. One more tip, resist knee surgeries for as long as you can and always lean on 1 & 2 above first. If it gets to the place where you are sand and gravel in the knees and a replacement is your last and only option...brace yourself for it. It can be tough to mind blowing painful (one of my two was the worst pain I have ever felt and I have not lived a cream puff life) and insist the doctor put you on serious blood thinning after. Pulmonary Embolisms are no fun (got them with both knees). Just sayin'...:beer: