PDA

View Full Version : blisters

Gaiter
2011-10-09, 23:25
got a couple of blisters from hiking this weekend, i haven't gotten blisters like this in a while and i've always heard that you don't pop the blister unless its the size of a quarter, but the blisters i got this weekend appear to also have blood in them, which i've never had (one is 2/3's the size of a dime the other is 1/2 of a dime)
do i just leave it be, or any other thoughts and recommendations...

PS body glide has a "liquified version" that comes in little pouches, i don't recommend these, stick to the stick

MonkeyBoy
2011-10-09, 23:28
Popping a blister is not bad for you if you sterlize the needle and make the hole just big enough to bleed it out.

The small hole will seal itself back up.

Iodine on it will help with any infection.

Superman
2011-10-10, 09:31
got a couple of blisters from hiking this weekend, i haven't gotten blisters like this in a while and i've always heard that you don't pop the blister unless its the size of a quarter, but the blisters i got this weekend appear to also have blood in them, which i've never had (one is 2/3's the size of a dime the other is 1/2 of a dime)
do i just leave it be, or any other thoughts and recommendations...

PS body glide has a "liquified version" that comes in little pouches, i don't recommend these, stick to the stick

I didn't care much for body glide in the stick. I use the tube of goo that I buy in the feminine section of the Walmart pharmacy. It's specifically for anti-chafing. It has no smell, no grease, lasts and works great.:albertein

Hog On Ice
2011-10-10, 09:34
what's the name of this stuff?

MonkeyBoy
2011-10-10, 09:36
I usually just use duct tape to cut down on the friction. Works like a champ.

Hog On Ice
2011-10-10, 09:39
problem I have with duct tape is that the adhesive softens up with heat and then the tape shifts from where I want it - often just becoming a wad in my socks - even Gorilla tape does this

Two Speed
2011-10-10, 09:40
Second vote for duct tape, provided you get it over the hot spot before the blister actually forms.

Superman
2011-10-10, 09:46
what's the name of this stuff?

Monistat Soothing Care Chafing Relief Powder-Gel, 1.5-Ounce Tube
by Monistat
4.8 out of 5 stars See all reviews (44 customer reviews)

MonkeyBoy
2011-10-10, 10:04
problem I have with duct tape is that the adhesive softens up with heat and then the tape shifts from where I want it - often just becoming a wad in my socks - even Gorilla tape does this

Clean and dry your foot first.

I've had duct tape on the sole of my feet for a week.........more, if I let it.

Otherwise, if it is still rubbing off, if could be because of the shoe size/width not being correct.

rhjanes
2011-10-10, 10:14
On the blister, I sterilize the needle/pin. then, stick the blister right at the edge nearest you (you can see it the best). then just roll your finder from the side farthest the hole, towards the hole. this expresses out all the fluid in pretty much one or two "pushes". Apply some ointment, bandage/tape, etc. It fluid builds up again, repeat as needed.

Cuffs
2011-10-10, 10:31
got a couple of blisters from hiking this weekend, i haven't gotten blisters like this in a while

Where the hell exactly did you get said blisters???

Gaiter
2011-10-10, 10:32
on my feet, kinda the outer side of my heel

MonkeyBoy
2011-10-10, 10:37
Boots are too loose.

You need to tighten the laces down low.

Gaiter
2011-10-10, 10:50
Boots are too loose.

You need to tighten the laces down low.

i tried several times to tighten them better, i couldn't get them any tighter...

and another reason not to procrastinate and do most of your packing after midnight: i had two shoes next to each other, and unfortunately grabbed my merrills that were a bit tight on my toes, wish i had taken my keens instead, plus i feel like i can lace them better...

Superman
2011-10-10, 18:21
i tried several times to tighten them better, i couldn't get them any tighter...

and another reason not to procrastinate and do most of your packing after midnight: i had two shoes next to each other, and unfortunately grabbed my merrills that were a bit tight on my toes, wish i had taken my keens instead, plus i feel like i can lace them better...

or put the chafing goo where the hot spot is.

Nearly Normal
2011-10-10, 21:30
or put the chafing goo where the hot spot is.

well......sounds like good advice.

walkingbear
2012-09-10, 22:47
I found that when my shoes need to be replaced I get the blisters. It does help to replace shoes/boots every 300 to 500 miles or so. I just did not do so soon enough; I now have blister on both little toes and the outside of the great toe on the left foot. Also check to make sure the calus you are about to remove is not a blister --- I have a bad problem with one of the blisters on the left little toe cause I messed up!

john pickett
2012-09-11, 10:59
Too many years ago I treated Marine Reservists blisters with a doughnut of moleskin; inner hole just big enough to
go around the blister, with about a half inch between the inner and outer circumference. I would cut a piece of
band-aid pad just big enough to fit over the blister and put a dab of antibiotic ointment on the blister surface.
Over all went a second piece of moleskin same size as the doughnut piece. Even infected blisters would heal right up.

Rosaleen
2012-09-12, 20:35
Gaiter-

Some years ago there was an article on the 'Net about fitting boots. Padding can be added to the heel, tongue, etc., to get a better fit. Sometimes thicker socks work, other times there isn't enough extra volume in the shoe to allow thicker socks without the wearer's toes feeling too cramped, another problem in itself. If you bought the shoes from a professional, s/he might be able to help. (I'm more likely to have bought shoes on sale, from some warehouse, or maybe on-line...) The article also suggested that the laces be tied with a single overhand knot close to the top of the foot over the instep. This locked the laces snugly mid-foot, then the laces didn't need to be as tight over the ankle.

Experiment to see what can work for you. The article still may be around, if you care to do a search of the subject.

Good Luck,

Rosaleen

Superman
2012-09-12, 21:07
I hiked with a hard headed yankee lady from up state NY. She just couldn't associate the weight of her massive pack to the condition of her feet. She carried a 5lb block of cheese, huge summer sausage, flannel shirt and denims etc, etc. She started skipping sections right off and then started going home but came back to where I was. Then she went home and is still section hiking to complete her "thru hike."

Rosaleen
2012-09-12, 22:23
Some people are willing to live and learn. Some people are hard-headed and stay miserable. We each have to hike our own hike.