PDA

View Full Version : Making ION Stove question.

AlexMorning
2011-10-14, 22:09
Hi, I really like the Ion stove design and wanted to make one myself. However, it's hard to find welch's grape juice can around my local grocery store. How is this different from the v8 can size? I don't see the dimension such as diameter for the welch's can so don't know if I can find an equivalent size. Is the v8 can a little smaller diameter? Also can the Ion stove be made with a diet coke can or is it a little too big? Thanks in advance.

Skidsteer
2011-10-14, 22:48
Hi, I really like the Ion stove design and wanted to make one myself. However, it's hard to find welch's grape juice can around my local grocery store. How is this different from the v8 can size? I don't see the dimension such as diameter for the welch's can so don't know if I can find an equivalent size. Is the v8 can a little smaller diameter? Also can the Ion stove be made with a diet coke can or is it a little too big? Thanks in advance.

The V-8 can is the size you want.

AlexMorning
2011-10-15, 00:30
The V-8 can is the size you want.

I'm anal sometimes. Are you saying the v-8 can is the same size as welch's can? Or that it will do? I did notice that the inner walls for turbo v8 and ion are both 6 inches long and the designs' main difference is that the ion is slightly shorter. Thanks.

Skidsteer
2011-10-15, 09:27
I'm anal sometimes. Are you saying the v-8 can is the same size as welch's can? Or that it will do? I did notice that the inner walls for turbo v8 and ion are both 6 inches long and the designs' main difference is that the ion is slightly shorter. Thanks.

Both cans are the same size.

warraghiyagey
2011-10-16, 22:27
I don't know what you guys are talking about but this page is cool looking. . . :beer:

Lugnut
2011-10-16, 23:25
Yeah, you look good in blue. :angel:

Superman
2011-10-17, 03:26

Are you talking about butts?:angel:

Hooch
2011-10-17, 09:50
The Ion logo is very "Tron" looking. :bike:

sheepdog
2011-10-17, 10:27
Are you talking about butts?:angel:

this is a smoke free thread

oh wait,,,,it's about stoves

never mind

Hog On Ice
2011-10-17, 14:12
alcohol stoves don't smoke ...

unless the wrong type of alcohol is used

Skidsteer
2011-10-17, 18:03
Or you set up a penny stove on picnic tables.

Hog On Ice
2011-10-17, 18:26
Or you set up a penny stove on picnic tables.

true dat - if you don't use a bottom refelctor

AlexMorning
2011-10-19, 03:25

I went ahead and made an ion stove with the v8 cans. I think I squished the cans together too much. Anyhow, the six holes have little flames coming out. A couple holes actually are pretty weak. The center hole is pretty large. Is this what is expected? The center hole produce 4 inches of flame while the side holes produce an inch of flame or less? There isn't a photo of the stove without a pot to compare it to. It looks like most of the heat coming from center rather than the side holes. Thanks.

sheepdog
2011-10-19, 06:23
I don't think an ion stove blooms until you put the pot over it.

AlexMorning
2011-10-19, 10:29
I don't think an ion stove blooms until you put the pot over it.

I was just curious what it looks like without the pot to see if I had it right. I forget to mention that I don't have the hardware cloth as the only one's I was able to find was chicken fence wire and they are in a huge rolls at homedepot so I used tuna can(holes cut on the side) instead. When I put the pot over my stove, it looks good(flames coming out around the pot) but it still looks like the largest flame is still coming from the center which I expect as that's the one with the biggest hole. So I was curious as to what it should look without the pot on.

Gaiter
2011-10-19, 11:40
alcohol stoves don't smoke ...

unless the wrong type of alcohol is used

or ya screw them up, mine certainly made smoke when i set my leg and a stuff sack on fire with it :star:

dixicritter
2011-10-19, 12:25
I went ahead and made an ion stove with the v8 cans. I think I squished the cans together too much. Anyhow, the six holes have little flames coming out. A couple holes actually are pretty weak. The center hole is pretty large. Is this what is expected? The center hole produce 4 inches of flame while the side holes produce an inch of flame or less? There isn't a photo of the stove without a pot to compare it to. It looks like most of the heat coming from center rather than the side holes. Thanks.

From what I recall watching Rock make them and test them... that sounds right.

I was just curious what it looks like without the pot to see if I had it right. I forget to mention that I don't have the hardware cloth as the only one's I was able to find was chicken fence wire and they are in a huge rolls at homedepot so I used tuna can(holes cut on the side) instead. When I put the pot over my stove, it looks good(flames coming out around the pot) but it still looks like the largest flame is still coming from the center which I expect as that's the one with the biggest hole. So I was curious as to what it should look without the pot on.

Look for the hardware cloth in the building materials not the fencing area.