PDA

View Full Version : Foxfire Books

chumpchange
2011-10-20, 22:00
anybody else ever read any FF books? i'm talking about the ones started by eliot wiggington in the late 60s about mountain living.

i have volumes 1-6 so far.

Ray
2011-10-20, 22:40
anybody else ever read any FF books? i'm talking about the ones started by eliot wiggington in the late 60s about mountain living.

i have volumes 1-6 so far.I've read quite a few. You been to the museum?

chumpchange
2011-10-20, 22:56
didn't know there was one. where is it?

i first took up on them when i used to spend the night with my grandparents.

i'm convinced they could serve as a good guide to survival, long term...

generoll
2011-10-20, 23:28
they were written as a senior English project by the students at the Rabun Gap School just outside of Dillard, GA. a decent but expensive AYCE place on the south side of town called the Dillard House imaginatively.

chumpchange
2011-10-20, 23:43
went up there last summer for the bluegrass festival. pretty country.

dillard house, is that anything like the smith house in dahlonega where they sit you down with other people and fill the table up with food?

buddy and me had been camping 3-4 days and stopped in there on our way home. stinking, stoned, stinking stoned... this was quite some time ago.

we got sat down with a preacher and his family. man, that food was good.

Spogatz
2011-10-21, 01:23
It is on the road that goes up to Black Rock Mountain state park in Georgia. I have most of the collection in PDF. They are a great collection and show many of the things that were once common knowledge for the people living in the mountains.

Nearly Normal
2011-10-21, 06:00
I have a good many of them. The pictures in the first editions are much better.
Some of the later editions pictures are pretty poor quaility.

I hope they have secured the village better. I went up there once when it was not open...no one was there and any asshole thief could have just cleaned out the place.

If you like that sort of era information there is another pretty good example in Lumpkin Ga called "Westville".
http://www.westville.org/

Kanga
2011-10-21, 09:11
I haven't yet but they are on my list. I would love to find some of the older copies.

Bearpaw
2011-10-21, 09:25
When I worked with a longhunter reenactment group in Kentucky, Foxfire books were a common source of information for many of the skills we used. They were good.

Ray
2011-10-21, 12:18
All the editions and lots of other stuff are availble at the museum giftshop (http://www.foxfire.org/foxfirepublications.aspx). Of course. Seems like everytime I'm there I pick up another book or two, not necessarily from the Foxfire series but some of their other books on edible wild plants, medicinal herbs, whatever hits a note with me at the time. Last time I was there I got a Cherokee cookbook written by a NC Cherokee lady and I found a couple recipes I really like. It was toss up between it and a Mountain Wine book.

chumpchange
2011-10-21, 13:14
i found all the ones i have(the original style) on fleabay for around $10 each used...

generoll
2011-10-21, 13:59
the Dillard House is like the Smith House except they no longer seat you with strangers. When we first started going there they had long tables and just filled em up as people came in. Now everyone sits at a private table. Truth be told I prefer the Smith House, but if you're in the area anyway, give it a go.

Ray
2011-10-21, 16:00
Smith & Dillard houses are both experiences that we save as treats for guests. If I'm near the Dillard House I'd rather drive a little up the road and eat at the Cupboard Cafe. Near the Smith House I prefer the Wagon Wheel Cafe.

Two Speed
2011-10-21, 17:42
I'll second the Cupboard. Good eats.