PDA

View Full Version : Lonely Vehicle

chumpchange
2011-11-08, 11:07
any tips on leaving your ride in a remote location for days on end?

besides the obvious like not having any valuables inside or at least in plain site.

anyone ever came back to a broken window or worse?

Lone Wolf
2011-11-08, 11:09
where exactly are you thinkin' about parking?

rhjanes
2011-11-08, 11:14
and for how long? over a month?

chumpchange
2011-11-08, 11:20
3-4 days...

Lugnut
2011-11-08, 11:24
I used to leave a note laying on the dash that said "Bob, be back in 15 minutes". No one knew when the time started so maybe it worked. Never had a break in.

Big Mac
2011-11-08, 12:29
I used to leave a note laying on the dash that said "Bob, be back in 15 minutes". No one knew when the time started so maybe it worked. Never had a break in.

Didn't Bob get tired of waiting on you? :albertein

Tin Man
2011-11-08, 12:46
I have parked in a bunch of AT parking spots from PA to ME for 1-7 nights over the past 10 years, including spots that had warnings about break-ins. Never had a problem. Generally speaking, an older car, looking unkempt and with some trash on the floor is not a target. :angel:

Lugnut
2011-11-08, 13:53
Didn't Bob get tired of waiting on you? :albertein

No, it was only for 15 minutes! :albertein

chumpchange
2011-11-08, 14:53
looks like he found the note.

Lugnut
2011-11-08, 15:31
Great movie :beer:

warraghiyagey
2011-11-08, 19:22
and for how long? over a month?

That response is particularly hilarious beneath your avatar.....

woodsy
2011-11-08, 19:35
Could always dress up a dummy like a hiker and leave him in it like he's sleeping.
Pull the ball cap visor down over his eyes, empty beer can in lap etc..

Ray
2011-11-08, 19:48
Could always dress up a dummy like a hiker and leave him in it like he's sleeping.
Pull the ball cap visor down over his eyes, empty beer can in lap etc..No! Start something like that and there'll be about five or six of them in there when he returns.

Jim Henderson
2011-11-09, 10:08
I never had a problem, but have heard of some. Some places are notorious for parking lot theft, so ask the ranger or people who have been there.

Usually what I do is disable the ignition, pull a distributor wire or better have a hidden cut off or an alarm that does this. Lock it up and make sure there is nothing in view of interest. And of course don't leave any food that might attract other pests.

Alternatively an unlocked beater car not worth bashing a window is also good camoflage.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Tin Man
2011-11-09, 10:18
another thought - do not let your fears rule your life

chumpchange
2011-11-09, 10:46
I never had a problem, but have heard of some. Some places are notorious for parking lot theft, so ask the ranger or people who have been there.

Usually what I do is disable the ignition, pull a distributor wire or better have a hidden cut off or an alarm that does this. Lock it up and make sure there is nothing in view of interest. And of course don't leave any food that might attract other pests.

Alternatively an unlocked beater car not worth bashing a window is also good camoflage.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

the beater notion is under consideration. maybe an opened box .40 hollow points on the front seat with a note to Bob, "the pigs are getting louder!"

Tin Man
2011-11-09, 10:49
the beater notion is under consideration. maybe an opened box .40 hollow points on the front seat with a note to Bob, "the pigs are getting louder!"

if you have a beater or access to one, definitely drive a beater...

...or let me borrow your nice car for a week, then you will have a beater. :D

chumpchange
2011-11-09, 11:28
if you have a beater or access to one, definitely drive a beater...

...or let me borrow your nice car for a week, then you will have a beater. :D

i think i'll go the fear route.

Wise Old Owl
2011-11-09, 22:15
Two Claymore mines from Vietnam in each door with a jiggle sensor.....That aught to do it....

Or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyndAi78hQw

Sarcasm The Elf
2011-11-09, 22:36
Two Claymore mines from Vietnam in each door with a jiggle sensor.....That aught to do it....

Or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyndAi78hQw

I thought that only worked as a perimeter measure to keep camp safe from bears?

chumpchange
2011-11-20, 21:45
well i puss'd out. had my pack on and about to step onto the trail when i thought i would tug my passenger side door handle to make sure it was locked when i looked down and spotted a pile of broken window glass. just couldn't do it.

this was at the Hickory Creek TH parking lot at FS 630/17 on the west end of Cohutta Wilderness. nobody there but me.
Homan's access point 2.

i ended up at Big Creek TH in Big Frog and campground and camped there. did a hike up the trail the next day.

looking for a beater.

Tin Man
2011-11-20, 21:50
well i puss'd out. had my pack on and about to step onto the trail when i thought i would tug my passenger side door handle to make sure it was locked when i looked down and spotted a pile of broken window glass. just couldn't do it.

this was at the Hickory Creek TH parking lot at FS 630/17 on the west end of Cohutta Wilderness. nobody there but me.
Homan's access point 2.

i ended up at Big Creek TH in Big Frog and campground and camped there. did a hike up the trail the next day.

looking for a beater.

damn. still sounds like you had a good time. you can always check the AT shuttle list below, park somewhere safe and take a shuttle to the trail...

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-document-library/2011/04/17/AT%20Shuttle%20List.pdf?Status=Master

call a few for pricing. last weekend i heard prices from $2.10 per mile to $0.20 per mile. guess which one i picked. :D

chumpchange
2011-11-20, 22:17
thanks for the list. ellijay might work.

yeah, i had a blast.

couldn't figure out what these tags and marks were all about. maybe some research for the hemlock algae? the tags have numbers on them(26, 27,...)
this is at the campground.

sheepdog
2011-11-21, 20:12
another thought - do not let your fears rule your life

that's just scary thinking. :ahhhhh:

chumpchange
2011-11-22, 12:10
maybe i'll get me a piece of thick plastic and duct tape it to my drivers' side door window where you can't tell there's good glass there... at a glance.

at least if the #@@%~#$$ does bust out the window, you've got a covering, unless he takes that too to for his own use.

Tin Man
2011-11-22, 12:20
you are waaaayyy overthinking this. just park it and you will be fine... usually. :)

chumpchange
2011-11-22, 12:24
i'm obsessed with it now.

maybe sardines in the air vents... wait no...

Tin Man
2011-11-22, 12:28
i'm obsessed with it now.

maybe sardines in the air vents... wait no...

don't forget the limburger with that...

chumpchange
2011-11-22, 12:32
or maybe a rope snare so that when i get back i can teach him some manners before i cut him down.

Law Dawg (ret)
2011-11-22, 12:39
Buy a beater, make it look even more like a beater by tossing kleenex etc on the floor...in other words make it look like nothing of value at all. Then when you park leave it unlocked and windows down or if things are going to get wet and you want your windows up, attach a big sign that says the "Doors are unlocked...nothing in here but stains from my MRSA Staph infections anyway. Enjoy!". Litter the floor with old gauze bandages that you have put mayonaise and a spot of mustard or ketchup on.

Or get a very nice insurance policy on your present cage so it is a win if it get looted or stolen.

chumpchange
2011-11-22, 13:24
i'm shopping for a beater. just don't wanna get beat.

looking for an early 90's 4runner or pathfinder 4WD that'll get me there and back.

it'd also be used for fishing and car camping...

chumpchange
2011-11-22, 13:40
Buy a beater, make it look even more like a beater by tossing kleenex etc on the floor...in other words make it look like nothing of value at all. Then when you park leave it unlocked and windows down or if things are going to get wet and you want your windows up, attach a big sign that says the "Doors are unlocked...nothing in here but stains from my MRSA Staph infections anyway. Enjoy!". Litter the floor with old gauze bandages that you have put mayonaise and a spot of mustard or ketchup on.

Or get a very nice insurance policy on your present cage so it is a win if it get looted or stolen.

or maybe a dead hooker in the backseat.

Tin Man
2011-11-22, 14:07
bear bag it...

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/LPIPOD01/BN14124_33.jpg

Law Dawg (ret)
2011-11-22, 14:39
or maybe a dead hooker in the backseat.

You planning on a DIY project or is there a cottage industry for this? Maybe something in an inflatable would be best. :aetsch:

chumpchange
2011-11-22, 15:15
i'm already using it for my air pad.

and no, it ain't comfortable worth a damn but the pockets come in handy for snacks and such.

Big Mac
2011-11-22, 17:04
i'm already using it for my air pad.

and no, it ain't comfortable worth a damn but the pockets come in handy for snacks and such.

I don't care who you are - that there is funny.

atraildreamer
2011-11-28, 13:17

Spread some Nutella on an open Pamper. :bootyshak Leave it on the seat. No one will bother the car. :ahhhhh:

atraildreamer
2011-11-28, 13:24
i'm shopping for a beater. just don't wanna get beat.

looking for an early 90's 4runner or pathfinder 4WD that'll get me there and back.

it'd also be used for fishing and car camping...

Just having an old beater vehicle is no guarantee.

A friend had a 1991 sedan stolen from his driveway. Even older cars are worth big $$$ as junkers due to the recession and people scrambling to keep their older vehicles running. My brother sold a van for $375 and a sedan for $550, neither was in running condition, and bought a used Cherokee with the money (and a few $$$ more).

Tin Man
2011-11-28, 21:36

A friend had a 1991 sedan stolen from his driveway. Even older cars are worth big $$$ as junkers due to the recession and people scrambling to keep their older vehicles running. My brother sold a van for $375 and a sedan for $550, neither was in running condition, and bought a used Cherokee with the money (and a few $$$ more).

just because you are paranoid doesn't mean you can't win at russian roulette

chumpchange
2011-11-29, 14:12

may have found a cherokee for cheap.

the whole idea for me is to not let my truck get jacked up. and also to buy something that's 4x4 for snow jams, camping, fishing,...

i love my truck. ;-) and for whatever reason don't really need to make any waves with my ins company for the moment.

atraildreamer
2011-12-16, 18:26
may have found a cherokee for cheap.

the whole idea for me is to not let my truck get jacked up. and also to buy something that's 4x4 for snow jams, camping, fishing,...

i love my truck. ;-) and for whatever reason don't really need to make any waves with my ins company for the moment.

I think he paid about $1200 for it. Got it from a guy who was going to college and wanted something sportier. It runs fine.