PDA

View Full Version : Happy Veterans Day

Roche
2011-11-11, 10:54
You are forbidden to post Happy Veterans Day at hf.net. Why can't the pinko commie fags just stay at wb.net. Pure bravo sierra.

Happy Veterans/Remembrance/Armistice Day.

SGT Rock
2011-11-11, 11:17
:flag-mari:flag-army:flag-navy:flag-coas:flag-airfSalute

Lone Wolf
2011-11-11, 11:27
Semper Fi:flag-mari:gob_beer

Roche
2011-11-11, 11:46
Semper Fi:flag-mari:gob_beer
And a belated Happy Birthday USMC. And yes, that was also forbidden at hotel - foxtrot yesterday. If the mods don't allow it then the mods don't like it.:mad:

Lone Wolf
2011-11-11, 11:56
what's hf.net?

SGT Rock
2011-11-11, 12:00
Hammock Forums, a subset of the Whiteblaze family.

Lone Wolf
2011-11-11, 12:12
You are forbidden to post Happy Veterans Day at hf.net. Why can't the pinko commie fags just stay at wb.net. Pure bravo sierra.

Happy Veterans/Remembrance/Armistice Day.

what kinda shit stain liberal fuck would not allow that?

SGT Rock
2011-11-11, 12:14
Apparently a Squid.

chumpchange
2011-11-11, 12:16
Happy Veteran's Day to you vets !!

cheers!

Crikey
2011-11-11, 12:27

Yeah, what a reptile.

Thank you to all veterans, of all branches of the service.

dixicritter
2011-11-11, 13:35
Happy Veteran's Day y'all!!

Bearpaw
2011-11-11, 15:58
Amen. Many thanks to the brothers and sisters out there serving and who have served.

Bearpaw
2011-11-11, 16:02

Last year some Swede complained that wishing the American military well was political speech and in violation of their non-politics policy. The mod staff sided with him. I was about to donate when that happened. Not a chance now. I don't even go there much any more.

Wonder
2011-11-11, 16:05
A great big thank you to all the Vets! We are here and free because of you!

SGT Rock
2011-11-11, 17:20
Last year some Swede complained that wishing the American military well was political speech and in violation of their non-politics policy. The mod staff sided with him. I was about to donate when that happened. Not a chance now. I don't even go there much any more.

If I were owner that would be one I would over-ride.

Roche
2011-11-11, 17:30
And they are killing the threads that are complaining about this PC crap. I do not plan to renew my donating status.

SGT Rock - how does one lessen the overhead over here?

Hog On Ice
2011-11-11, 17:40
however since Troll is the owner of the hf.net site ...

it will be a long cold day in hell before I donate to HF

SGT Rock
2011-11-11, 17:44
And they are killing the threads that are complaining about this PC crap. I do not plan to renew my donating status.

SGT Rock - how does one lessen the overhead over here?

Generally the policy is members here buy me bourbon or cigars at times. Usually when we run into each other at hiker functions.

Recently there has been a call to add galleries to the site. That would cost some money, but I am willing to do it when I have some time to get to it, and if I do, then contributions would be appreciated since that ain't cheap. Right now I am up to my neck in other projects like updating the BMT thru-hikers guidebook which I've been hacking at today when not posting here.:beer:

Roche
2011-11-11, 17:54
Thanks and I understand your workload. But being the S-4 booze officer for a military hillbilly could be a might bit expensive.

SGT Rock
2011-11-11, 17:59
It could. But I have lots of friends, not everyone gets stuck with all the responsibilities of resupply.

rcli4
2011-11-11, 20:02
Apparently a Squid.

Easy there.....

Weary
2011-11-11, 22:20
Well, I was the only veteran in the group, but a few of us spent the holiday morning inspecting a piece of land that a woman wants to sell our land trust. It's 10 or 12 acres of marsh and adjacent upland she inherited from her father.

It's valuable mostly because it abuts 46 acres of upland that we already own.

I know some here think that a report on a proposed insignificant addition to a local land trust is boring. I think it's a tiny niche into what makes fighting wars important for our country and its citizens.

Anyway we walked the land. Agreed it was important. And we'll buy it if we have the money and the price is fair. Such is how this nation is protected, small parcels preserved. Small and large wars fought.

SGT Rock
2011-11-11, 22:54
Actually sounds good to me.

DesertReprobate
2011-11-12, 01:09
Celebrated Veteran's Day at the Patton Museum. It was quite uplifting. They had 23 veterans from WWII there to receive certificates of appreciation. Posted a few pics on FB. Happy Veterans Day

Lone Wolf
2011-11-12, 01:55

Roche
2011-11-12, 09:49
For the record, one mod did PM me saying he did vote in favor of allowing threads on Veterans Day but was in the minority. A few other HF members have PM saying HF is being asinine and I invited them to come over here.

Happy Birthday (+ 2) USMC and Happy Veterans Day (+ 1).

Roche
2011-11-12, 23:24
I don't believe it - two active threads respecting Veterans Day over at whiskey bravo.

And yes, I'm still pissed at the eunuchs who run hotel foxtrot.

Law Dawg (ret)
2011-11-13, 01:41
For the record, one mod did PM me saying he did vote in favor of allowing threads on Veterans Day but was in the minority. A few other HF members have PM saying HF is being asinine and I invited them to come over here.

Happy Birthday (+ 2) USMC and Happy Veterans Day (+ 1).

Made it Roche, thanks for the invite. It was Blaze (on HF) that whinned about our American BY GOD military and such when one of the pro military posts survived more than a few hours. When I pointed out that it was our military that saved their butts from Hitler and that the US was the reason his Danish self is not speaking German today...he said Hitler was misunderstood (or some such). I guess there is a reason it is called dope eh?

Oh boy...belated happy Marine Corps B-day and God Bless America and her veterans one and all! Thanks y'all. :beer:

Law Dawg (ret)
2011-11-13, 12:13
Oh and from the site...

...a statement about "All the cool kids" and suddenly a light goes on in my head. I like HF so much because it's a playground without bullies!

Oh puleeze, made me feel like stuffing him into a trash can upside down. puke: The only bullies allowed are the PC censors, both mods and members. So then you Vets (and us LEOs) are probably seen as "bullies" and no Marine Corps b-days or Vetrans day posts allowed as they are political (read;posted by a bunch of bullies). Who was it here that said hikers are self centered snobs and that he prefers hanging out with the Hobos? 'Bout sums it up. ;)

Bearpaw
2011-11-13, 13:09
Oh and from the site...

Oh puleeze, made me feel like stuffing him into a trash can upside down. puke: The only bullies allowed are the PC censors, both mods and members. So then you Vets (and us LEOs) are probably seen as "bullies" and no Marine Corps b-days or Vetrans day posts allowed as they are political (read;posted by a bunch of bullies). Who was it here that said hikers are self centered snobs and that he prefers hanging out with the Hobos? 'Bout sums it up. ;)

He probably had no clue about the Veterans' Day disrespect. Last year in this thread (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=363984#post363984), everybody was kissing the mods' asses after they deleted everything related to Veterans' Day and the Marine Corps birthday. I think most of them had no clue about the whole Marine Birthday/Veterans' Say business.

I made this comment:

"I hate this decision. That's my freedom of speech.

I still respect the folks that run the site and I'll abide by their decision. That's the self-restraint that makes freedom something worth having."

I couldn't directly mention that I was upset about the mod staff turning their backs on the U. S. military or it would have simply been deleted.

You responded back with this comment:

"Hoo boy do I have a great answer for your 1st Ammendment POV...but it would definately be political. Cause a bunch of heat and no light too. "

I wasn't sure whether you didn't realize my complaint was about disrespecting our military or you were actually agreeing with my position, so I never responded back. In any case, I figured no harm, no foul.

I suspect that ScotchDave has no clue what went on with the Veterans' Day threads, since they were shut down very quickly.

I actually checked over there a lot to see if they had relaxed their position. Never saw a post on Veterans' Day. Now I come to find out there was quite a bit of interaction, but it all got swirled away. Looks like another year without much interaction with HammockForums for me.

I won't throw out the baby with the bath water. I'll check there about upcoming get-togethers and post trip reports. But I won't donate or post all the time the way some folks do.

At the end of the day, I figure I'll be a lot happier holding my daughter, going for a walk, or taking a nap in my hammock. Besides, I've had a year to get over being pissed off at HF. I have happier ways to spend my time.

Law Dawg (ret)
2011-11-13, 17:01
He probably had no clue about the Veterans' Day disrespect.

No doubt but my point is that his is the PC attitude that prevails in so many ways there. While he probably does not know he also probably does not realize that bullying comes in many forms and some of them are PC too.

I made this comment:

"I hate this decision. That's my freedom of speech.

I still respect the folks that run the site and I'll abide by their decision. That's the self-restraint that makes freedom something worth having."

I couldn't directly mention that I was upset about the mod staff turning their backs on the U. S. military or it would have simply been deleted.

You responded back with this comment:

"Hoo boy do I have a great answer for your 1st Ammendment POV...but it would definately be political. Cause a bunch of heat and no light too. "

I wasn't sure whether you didn't realize my complaint was about disrespecting our military or you were actually agreeing with my position, so I never responded back. In any case, I figured no harm, no foul.

Not enough recollection of the event to make a clear call on it. My position on 1st Ammendment and web sites is that the site owners and mods rule though. That we have the option of taking foot bail if it gets too out of line but not much more than that if they will not listen to reasoning. I also hate when PC Nazis push folk around and mods prefer to keep the peace at all costs or, worse, join in.

I actually checked over there a lot to see if they had relaxed their position. Never saw a post on Veterans' Day. Now I come to find out there was quite a bit of interaction, but it all got swirled away. Looks like another year without much interaction with HammockForums for me.

I started a thread in the basement to clear some air but it quickly turned very ugly. The intent was to;
1-Encourage folks who might find offense at certain topics to simply walk away. Also generally to generate more light than heat.
2-Point out to the mods that things like certain Military days were not by nature political at all untill the PC trolls just can't contain themselves. That the markers in military graveyards do not include the political party of their occupants and to consider reining in the trolls instead of killing threads. I underestimated the heat it would generate and eventually asked for the thread to be killed. Some vetrans PMed me to clarify some points and that is my general point with you now...if I say something that makes you scratch your head please do PM and let's hash it out.

I won't throw out the baby with the bath water. I'll check there about upcoming get-togethers and post trip reports. But I won't donate or post all the time the way some folks do.

At the end of the day, I figure I'll be a lot happier holding my daughter, going for a walk, or taking a nap in my hammock. Besides, I've had a year to get over being pissed off at HF. I have happier ways to spend my time.

Agreed as HF does have some great info and a number of folks I would love to share a campfire with...and a couple that I might end up wanting to push into that fire. :bandit: I'll back way off for awhile there and hang out a bit more here if y'all don't mind?:ahhhhh:

Roche
2011-11-13, 17:40
Hey there Law Dawg and welcome. Some good, reasonable and decent folk hang out here. And they know how to bust your chops with a smile on their face.

cool breeze
2011-11-13, 18:04
But you gotta smile back.

Law Dawg (ret)
2011-11-13, 18:59
Hey there Law Dawg and welcome. Some good, reasonable and decent folk hang out here. And they know how to bust your chops with a smile on their face.

Thanks Roche. Hey as long as their smilin'...heck I always smiled when working the goon squad. Some things just can't be worked out with Unicorns and Pixie dust.:beer:

But you gotta smile back.

To quote Little Big Man "Sometimes the magic works, sometimes it doesn't". :help:

P.S. Y'alls Smilies are sick and numerous!

Bearpaw
2011-11-13, 19:24
Thanks Roche. Hey as long as their smilin'...heck I always smiled when working the goon squad. Some things just can't be worked out with Unicorns and Pixie dust.:beer:

To quote Little Big Man "Sometimes the magic works, sometimes it doesn't". :help:

P.S. Y'alls Smilies are sick and numerous!

You're in a good place. You'll meet a number of renegades here that got tired of PC sites that stayed so on-topic that they got boring.

Rock and Dixi are pretty laid back for the most part in the way they moderate. They try to curtail party politics, but they have the good sense to know wishing veterans well is not a political act.

Grab a beer and relax a while.

potneck
2011-11-13, 19:48
On special days like Veterans Day I always feel like whatever I do or say comes up short in expressing my deep appreciation for what so few have done for so many over the history of this country. I pastor a small church near Ft. Campbell, KY. Today, out of 89 present we were honored to have a dozen or so Vets representing all five branches of our military.

As I have learned about backpacking from Sgt. Rock's site and many of you, I have concluded that this would be a mighty good place to say "THANK YOU" to all who have given of their lives so that I have the freedom to do what I do each week.

I appreciate what all of you who have served have done for me. Happy Veterans Day.

dixicritter
2011-11-13, 20:50
Agreed as HF does have some great info and a number of folks I would love to share a campfire with...and a couple that I might end up wanting to push into that fire. :bandit: I'll back way off for awhile there and hang out a bit more here if y'all don't mind?:ahhhhh:

You are more than welcome to hang out here as much as you like! :beer:

Law Dawg (ret)
2011-11-13, 21:44
You're in a good place. You'll meet a number of renegades here that got tired of PC sites that stayed so on-topic that they got boring.

Rock and Dixi are pretty laid back for the most part in the way they moderate. They try to curtail party politics, but they have the good sense to know wishing veterans well is not a political act.

Grab a beer and relax a while.

Good to know... thanks. Grab a beer...we (Judy and I) got some hand made Jalapeno sausages up in Kernville yesterday and they are on the grill as I type. There is a cold twelve pack of Deschutte's River Brewery Black Butte Porter in the fridge. Had a wonderful Sunday go to Meetin' sermon this AM and life just keeps getting better this day. So I will hoist one for you Bearpaw.:beer:

You are more than welcome to hang out here as much as you like! :beer:

Thank you maam, believe I will do just that. Now to go turn those sausages...:hello:

Crikey
2011-11-13, 22:13
You should tell them to go hang themselves.

chumpchange
2011-11-13, 23:13
jj's hammock prolly has a hole worn in it from all the ass kissery.

Footslogger
2011-11-14, 10:26
Just a belated Veterans Day salute to all my brothers and sisters-in-arms. Haven't been on the puter for several days. My mother turned 95 on 11/11/11 and I've been spending some quality time with her. No telling how much longer she will still be around.

Best regards ...

'Slogger

Law Dawg (ret)
2011-11-14, 13:20
Just for the sake of being a nosey former LEO (can't help it); who is Troll, is he really the site owner, and why do some here not like him? Does he set the PC appeasement tone there and staff the site with yes men mods to keep it that way?

My Spidey sense is that WB had some sort of a major PC melt down over hammocks etc and HF was started. Now the mods are too nervous it will happen again to go to the safe to take out and put on their ummm...man parts to allow some testosterone to prevail. Is that close?

Oh and GOD BLESS AMERICA AND HER VETS!

Big Mac
2011-11-14, 13:44
Just for the sake of being a nosey former LEO (can't help it); who is Troll, is he really the site owner, and why do some here not like him? Does he set the PC appeasement tone there and staff the site with yes men mods to keep it that way?

My Spidey sense is that WB had some sort of a major PC melt down over hammocks etc and HF was started. Now the mods are too nervous it will happen again to go to the safe to take out and put on their ummm...man parts to allow some testosterone to prevail. Is that close?

Oh and GOD BLESS AMERICA AND HER VETS!

Let's not air all that sh1t over here. That's why most of us are here - to much BS over there. I'll PM you later with my 2 cents.

Law Dawg (ret)
2011-11-14, 13:50
Let's not air all that sh1t over here. That's why most of us are here - to much BS over there. I'll PM you later with my 2 cents.

Not attempting to pee in anyone's Cherios...jusy nosey and suspicious by nature and it could fill in a bunch of blanks. Standing by on the PM...

SGT Rock
2011-11-14, 14:26
Just for the sake of being a nosey former LEO (can't help it); who is Troll, is he really the site owner, and why do some here not like him? Does he set the PC appeasement tone there and staff the site with yes men mods to keep it that way?Troll was my partner with WB back when we both owners. He started HF as his own project when we started getting lots of complaints from non-hammock people that were tired of all the hammock related posts that were going on there back in the day. He hates any kind of complaints, so does whatever it takes to make things as mellow as possible. To that end his will do things I disagree with to avoid it. BUT the funny thing with that is that this is the sort of thing that will invite complaints from guys like you - funny thing is he doesn't seem to mind those complaints.

Oh and GOD BLESS AMERICA AND HER VETS!It could happen be happening. I use those forums for what they are good for and ignore the rest.
I prefer to let people do what they are going to do for the most part and try to ignore complaints. The one thing I really try to stay off of though is politics. In my experience it can poison the well.

Manchu Infantry
2011-11-14, 15:08
Sorry I am late with this.... was camping <grin>...... but Happy Belated Vets Day to all and to all safe trip home.

dkperdue
2011-11-14, 20:09
After the PC junk on HF, it is a welcome sight to see all the messages here.
Thanks for remembering the Marine Corps Birthday, and for showing such strong support for Veteran's Day.

David K. Perdue
USMC (Ret)
1975-1996

Bearpaw
2011-11-14, 20:15
After the PC junk on HF, it is a welcome sight to see all the messages here.
Thanks for remembering the Marine Corps Birthday, and for showing such strong support for Veteran's Day.

David K. Perdue
USMC (Ret)
1975-1996

Welcome aboard brother! :beer::flag-mari

dkperdue
2011-11-14, 20:19
Welcome aboard brother! :beer::flag-mari

Thanks!
I followed Law Dawg over here.
Seems like a better class of people.

DKPerdue

Law Dawg (ret)
2011-11-14, 20:54

DKPerdue

Well it was...until the two of us showed up David.:angel:

Skidsteer
2011-11-14, 21:18
Thanks!

DKPerdue

Well it was...until the two of us showed up David.:angel:

You can't outweird anyone over here.

Trust me.

Lugnut
2011-11-14, 21:21

Trust me.

So true. Skids is our 'Poster Child'. :albertein

Skidsteer
2011-11-14, 21:32
So true. Skids is our 'Poster Child'. :albertein

Nyayyyy....!

https://fbcdn-photos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/156349_1739221644563_1359317092_31830136_178670_a. jpg

Tin Man
2011-11-14, 21:58
I was hiking Vets Day myself. In fact, I thanked a Vet and told him not to worry about the shuttle request, I would find another. He (a vet) had planned to go to a vet luncheon, but felt bad for not being able to make our shuttle request. I told him he was being silly... and "happy veterans day, thank you for your service". And thanks to the rest of you for your service...

I asked my mother who keeps the family tree stuff about vets in our family. Apparently, we have quite a few more than I recalled. We have vets in her records back to 1600s in Europe, quite a few in the Revolutionary and Civil Wars (both sides, one died at Gettysburg), and WWI and WWII. My father served in the Air Force just missing Korea and out before Viet Nam. He talked my brother and I out of serving, something that bothers me from time to time.

Roche
2011-11-14, 22:22
Thanks!

DKPerdueCertainly the management has the proper priorities.

Law Dawg (ret)
2011-11-15, 13:27

Trust me.

Not talking about wierd Skid, talking about class and I'll give y'all a run for yer money when it comes to a lack thereof. :cool:

Aaaand trust you? Errrm OK...but verify (ala R. Reagan). :aetsch:

Tin Man
2011-11-15, 14:43
Not talking about wierd Skid, talking about class and I'll give y'all a run for yer money when it comes to a lack thereof. :cool:

Aaaand trust you? Errrm OK...but verify (ala R. Reagan). :aetsch:

we are decidedly lacking in class too. :aetsch:

Law Dawg (ret)
2011-11-15, 14:53
we are decidedly lacking in class too. :aetsch:

See there David, we'll fit in just fine! :beer:

Spogatz
2011-11-15, 15:09
People are always going to be different and have opinions. There is no way around that. I just don’t pay any attention to the people with opinions too far to either side. That being said I served in the Air Force, 1st Special Operations Wing, 834 AGS on the AC-130H gunships and MC-130E combat Talons. It was some of the best times of my life.

I appreciate what our countries veterans have done for us and what the active military continue to do to this day.

Somehow just Thanks just doesn’t seem to be enough.

Tin Man
2011-11-15, 16:49
People are always going to be different and have opinions. There is no way around that. I just donít pay any attention to the people with opinions too far to either side. That being said I served in the Air Force, 1st Special Operations Wing, 834 AGS on the AC-130H gunships and MC-130E combat Talons. It was some of the best times of my life.

I appreciate what our countries veterans have done for us and what the active military continue to do to this day.

Somehow just Thanks just doesnít seem to be enough.

Amen to that! :adore:

And thanks for your service. :beer:

john pickett
2011-11-15, 16:55
Tin Man, I saw you had a relative at Gettysburg. I had a (I think) great-great-grand uncle who (I believe- facts are hazy after 20 years) enlisted in an Illinois infantry regiment in about April of 1864, captured at the Battle of Atlanta in July of 1864, sent to Andersonville Prison in August of 1864, and died of a terrible form of diarrhea called "Scorbutus" in October 1864. I learned of this from my uncle while I was living in Macon, Ga. and got to visit his grave. He would have made a worthy antecedent for Lt. Dan

Tin Man
2011-11-15, 17:08
Interesting stuff tracking down what your ancestors were involved in. My mother said she would try to document more of our family military history. Hope she can find the time - at 78, she is very busy I guess. :)

dkperdue
2011-11-15, 18:59
People are always going to be different and have opinions. There is no way around that. I just donít pay any attention to the people with opinions too far to either side. That being said I served in the Air Force, 1st Special Operations Wing, 834 AGS on the AC-130H gunships and MC-130E combat Talons. It was some of the best times of my life.

Somehow just Thanks just doesnít seem to be enough.

As I mentioned, I played the Marine Corps game for 20 years and a month.
The wife is still active duty, Navy Nurse, with 28 yrs under her belt, going for the big 30. I think I have been a good influence on her as far as leadership and taking care of your troops thing. She always has corpsmen and nurses deploying now, and she'll make special trips to get together care packages and stuff for them to go out in the mail.
Whenever they are leaving or coming back, she is there at the airport for them, no matter what time of day or night it is. Most of her peers don't do that.

DKPerdue

Spogatz
2011-11-15, 21:43
Tin Man, I saw you had a relative at Gettysburg. I had a (I think) great-great-grand uncle who (I believe- facts are hazy after 20 years) enlisted in an Illinois infantry regiment in about April of 1864, captured at the Battle of Atlanta in July of 1864, sent to Andersonville Prison in August of 1864, and died of a terrible form of diarrhea called "Scorbutus" in October 1864. I learned of this from my uncle while I was living in Macon, Ga. and got to visit his grave. He would have made a worthy antecedent for Lt. Dan

Funny how people are connected....I grew up in Macon, Ga...

chumpchange
2011-11-15, 22:39
i've visited duane and berry's grave down there in maconga.

Spogatz
2011-11-16, 12:17
i've visited duane and berry's grave down there in maconga.

I have spent many an hour in Rose Hill sitting by those graves.

Hog On Ice
2011-11-16, 12:43
YzPS93jTN74

john pickett
2011-11-16, 19:05
"....I grew up in Macon, Ga."
I lived there 17 years. Employed at the Medical Center of Central Georgia. Attended First Presbyterian Church. My wife taught at First Presbyterian Day School, my kids (2) alma mater. Nice to back in Texas, but I sure miss Macon.

Skidsteer
2011-11-16, 20:17
"....I grew up in Macon, Ga."
I lived there 17 years. Employed at the Medical Center of Central Georgia. Attended First Presbyterian Church. My wife taught at First Presbyterian Day School, my kids (2) alma mater. Nice to back in Texas, but I sure miss Macon.

I'm in Macon right now. In a bar.

Having a great time...

Tin Man
2011-11-16, 20:23
I'm in Macon right now. In a bar.

Having a great time...

...typing into your iphone

:beer:

Lugnut
2011-11-16, 21:51
People are probably wondering, ' What's that old hippie doing with an iPhone'.

Skidsteer
2011-11-16, 22:02
...typing into your iphone

:beer:

I was taking a piss in the bar john while surfing HHQ, making a stock trade, and listening to the Allman Brothers.

I am the 1%.

Superman
2011-11-16, 22:05

When you got OLD you got mean.:angel:

Lugnut
2011-11-16, 22:18
Not me. Mala is the best old hippie I know. :angel:

Big Mac
2011-11-16, 22:26
I was taking a piss in the bar john while surfing HHQ, making a stock trade, and listening to the Allman Brothers.

I am the 1%.

OnePercenter (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=1%20percenter)

john pickett
2011-11-17, 13:26
"I'm in Macon right now"
If you haven't done so, take a tour of the Hay House.

Tin Man
2011-11-17, 17:02

I am the 1%.

well, thank god you weren't taking pictures :albertein